Truckee / Tahoe courses

mizzyplayer

I'll be headed that way for my first time later this week, here's our itinerary:

Sunday: Whitehawk Ranch

Monday: Grizzly Ranch

Tuesday: Links at Squaw Creek

Wednesday: Gray's Crossing

Thursday: Dragon at Nakoma

Β 

We'll be staying in Truckee, rented a house up there. I'm around a 12hdcp and I think my dad is about 15. I live in Vegas and while I'm used to desert golf, I'm stoked to play what looks like beautiful courses! I don't have any connections, so private courses were a no go for us, I'd like to think I got a pretty good lineup though!

> @Dysfunkshun said:

> I'll be headed that way for my first time later this week, here's our itinerary:

> Sunday: Whitehawk Ranch

> Monday: Grizzly Ranch

> Tuesday: Links at Squaw Creek

> Wednesday: Gray's Crossing

> Thursday: Dragon at Nakoma

>

> We'll be staying in Truckee, rented a house up there. I'm around a 12hdcp and I think my dad is about 15. I live in Vegas and while I'm used to desert golf, I'm stoked to play what looks like beautiful courses! I don't have any connections, so private courses were a no go for us, I'd like to think I got a pretty good lineup though!

Β 

You will have a blast! Weather looks good for next week. Had a bit of a cold snap and it actually snowed for about an hour today.

Β 

My personal recommendation would be coyote moon, old greenwood, or incline championship over squaw creek. Squaw valley itself is one of my favorite places on the planet (squaw skier) but the course itself is just ok besides the views. Not nearly in the same league as the others.

Β 

Just my 2 cents.

We played Whitehawk today, excellent course! But we were told Dragon is beat up real bad, both Whitehawk and Grizzly have had a handful of people each over the last couple weeks that walked off Dragon and went to one of those, so we're weighing our options about cancelling there and finding somewhere else.

We just got back from our Truckee / Tahoe trip. All of the courses were very nice and I would play all of them again.

Β 

Here is how I rank the courses;

1. Old Greenwood

2. Whitehawk Ranch

3. S c h a f f e r's Mill

4. Grizzly Ranch

5. Gray's Crossing

6. Coyote Moon

Β 

We had a snow delay one day and the weather was quite cool. But it was good to get out of the Texas heat for a week.

Β 

> @Roadking2003 said:

> We just got back from our Truckee / Tahoe trip. All of the courses were very nice and I would play all of them again.

>

> Here is how I rank the courses;

> 1. Old Greenwood

> 2. Whitehawk Ranch

> 3. S c h a f f e r's Mill

> 4. Grizzly Ranch

> 5. Gray's Crossing

> 6. Coyote Moon

>

> We had a snow delay one day and the weather was quite cool. But it was good to get out of the Texas heat for a week.

>

Β 

Great list of courses there. Why did you rank them as such. I've played each of them a few times and am interested on your thoughts as an outsider. Thanks!

> @Dsevans8 said:

> > @Roadking2003 said:

> > We just got back from our Truckee / Tahoe trip. All of the courses were very nice and I would play all of them again.

> >

> > Here is how I rank the courses;

> > 1. Old Greenwood

> > 2. Whitehawk Ranch

> > 3. S c h a f f e r's Mill

> > 4. Grizzly Ranch

> > 5. Gray's Crossing

> > 6. Coyote Moon

> >

> > We had a snow delay one day and the weather was quite cool. But it was good to get out of the Texas heat for a week.

> >

>

> Great list of courses there. Why did you rank them as such. I've played each of them a few times and am interested on your thoughts as an outsider. Thanks!

Β 

> @Dsevans8 said:

> > @Roadking2003 said:

> > We just got back from our Truckee / Tahoe trip. All of the courses were very nice and I would play all of them again.

> >

> > Here is how I rank the courses;

> > 1. Old Greenwood

> > 2. Whitehawk Ranch

> > 3. S c h a f f e r's Mill

> > 4. Grizzly Ranch

> > 5. Gray's Crossing

> > 6. Coyote Moon

> >

> > We had a snow delay one day and the weather was quite cool. But it was good to get out of the Texas heat for a week.

> >

>

> Great list of courses there. Why did you rank them as such. I've played each of them a few times and am interested on your thoughts as an outsider. Thanks!

Β 

Ranking these six courses is difficult since they are all very good. They all tend to blend in when playing six courses in six days so here are some random observations.

Β 

I put Coyote Moon last because it has a few holes that have extreme elevation changes. And a short par four (#14?) where you hit a six-iron off the tee then go 90 degrees to the green with a 9-iron or wedge. It also has the worst finishing hole of the bunch.

Old Greenwood had the best layout with no tricked up holes and a wide variety of lengths, doglegs, and elevation changes. It was my second-worst score of the week.

Whitehawk Ranch was in the best condition with absolutely perfect greens. It was my worst score of the week.

Grizzly has a spectacular finishing hole; probably the best finishing hole of the entire trip.

Β 

When you consider areas other than the course, Coyote Moon had the worst range (hitting net only). Whitehawk, Old Greenwood, and Grizzly had wonderful ranges and short game areas.

Β 

How would you rank these six courses?

@Roadking2003 Such a hard thing to do for me to rank these courses. I have played Grizzly and Whitehawk more than the others. If you put a gun to my head right now I would probably say that Old Greenwood is probably the best course in terms of overall play ability and variety. Don't think it's overly penal, provides a nice atmosphere and overall it is usually in very nice shape. Schaffers would probably be 1a for me. Course is always in nice shape, fun layout and always an enjoyable round. For me an my group of guys we visit Whitehawk and Grizzly at least once a year in May/Oct. They run a special for play all you want for $99 in the off season so we usually play 36 each day at both of them. I think that Whitehawk is such a fun course, shot my personal best there last year (72). Course is beautiful, greens are pure with a lot of movement going on, but you can make putts still. I think the layout is interesting without being too Mountainous if you know what I mean. Love the par 3's and par 5's. My personal favorite is probably Grizzly, even though I think it is a more difficult course than the others. I just love the challenge of some of the holes, and the emphasis that there is to keep the ball in the right positions. I mean you have two par 5's that play over 600yds and you have to still play them strategically and pay attention. You have some derivable par 4's, reachable par 5's, but the par 3's might be a little bland except #16. Driving range is gorgeous though. Never been a huge Coyote Moon fan, course can seem a little gimmicky, and is tight so it takes the big stick out of your hands some time. Plus the no driving range on the course never sat well for me.

I agree as well on Coyote Moon. That is maybe the worst 18th hole of any course I play in No Cal. That par 3 gimmick hole is always backed up and the play in general is morbidly slow. The tranquility of the course with no homes and just nature is CM best quality. Old Greenwood is my favorite and I am going to try to get up there before they close.

Yeah I usually try and get a weekend up to Truckee/Graeagle first two weeks of October. Since Grizzly punches their greens this next Monday I will hold off till the second weekend of October if I can and the weather looks good. That play all day special they have is such a great value that I'm usually ok if the greens aren't perfect. Can through in Old Greenwood/Grays crossing on one day and Whitehawk on another. Awesome quick buddy's trip.

Got out and played Tahoe donner for the first time this season on Friday. Word was it was in pretty rough shape after last winter so waited it out till late season hoping for the best.

Β 

Course was mostly in pretty good shape. Probably about 6 of the greens really never recovered and we're still pretty rough in spots. Pretty much if the green was slanted and next to a hill the winter runoff "creeked up" and ran across the green doing significant damage. Rest of the greens putted true and pretty fast. Tee boxes and fairways in excellent condition. Nice soft sand in the bunkers.

Β 

Played as a 2 some behind a few groups playing a scramble so a bit slow at times but finished in 4:30. My buddy and I played on "comps" but rack for our afternoon tee time would have been $85 so not too bad for late season. Not my favorite course in the hood but fairly challenging and worth playing

• 3 weeks later...

I played Incline Village on Saturday and the course was in really nice shape on a beautiful day in the low 60's. I will say the greens were the fastest greens I have ever played in 30 years of playing golf. They were cut really short and the recent frostbite conditions had them rolling at 13.5-14 on the stimp. Play was a little slow because less skilled people were struggling with the greens and I certainly cannot fault them for that.

Β 

When I heard the greens on the course was just like the practice green I played from the whites instead of the blues haha. I had three birdies for a 76 and was easily one of the best rounds of my life because it was such a tough mental test on the approach shots and putts. I had some well struck 9 irons and pw's that landed on the front and went to the back of the green. No way in hell I would have broken 80 from the blues with the greens running that fast.

Β 

Nothing better than a well played round in such a beautiful setting on a perfect weather day. Made the 2 hour drive back and forth seem like a drive to the grocery store. Cannot wait to go back in the spring. tgv0d1ivn65o.jpg

Β