Lets see how they make our equipment!

tony Qtony Q Members Posts: 221
Ok people,

I've been thinking about something today. I have not been a member here for very long and am intrigued about OEM and the diff. of tour vs retail. One thing I haven't seen is the actual process of making a tour driver, putter, iron ect..

Do any of you have any vid. or pics of an actual club head being made at a factory?

Or perhaps a step by step formula to how they(OEM) actually come up with a new idea or concept?

Wouldn't it be cool to see that?

Comments

• Jer-JerJer-Jer Members Posts: 2,936 ✭✭
    Yeah I would like to see that as well.
  • kdubyakdubya Members Posts: 24
    To make the tour stuff they take the retail club an put a sticker on it with the letters T O U R
  • 300_yard_drives300_yard_drives Jr. Boomers Posts: 1,205 ✭✭
    kdubya wrote on May 14 2006, 11:57 PM:

To make the tour stuff they take the retail club an put a sticker on it with the letters T O U R

its the placebo affect
  • pitchmaster1224pitchmaster1224 tour fittings since 1893 Members Posts: 1,255 ✭✭
    kdubya wrote on May 14 2006, 10:57 PM:

image/secret.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
  • roboxm3roboxm3 Members Posts: 112 ✭✭
    If you have a look on the Mizuno golf website there's a link on there showing a guy (Thomas I think) making a wedge up in the tour bus!! Takes him about 5 minutes tops!! And it looks like any other shaft, grip and head to me, it's just made in the TOUR bus!?!?
  • forrreforrre Members Posts: 1,007
    tony Q wrote on May 14 2006, 02:22 PM:
    Ok people,

I've been thinking about something today. I have not been a member here for very long and am intrigued about OEM and the diff. of tour vs retail. One thing I haven't seen is the actual process of making a tour driver, putter, iron ect..

Do any of you have any vid. or pics of an actual club head being made at a factory?

Or perhaps a step by step formula to how they(OEM) actually come up with a new idea or concept?

Wouldn't it be cool to see that?

From what I have been told, alot of the "tour" items are made in the same way that the retail are made with a few exceptions (Phil's irons and a few other companies). The biggest diff. is going to be the specs of the clubs vs there retail counterparts. The face angel on drivers being square to open vs. closed on the retails. As for irons I do believe and correct me if I'm wrong most companies other than TM do special grinds and stampings as requested for there staff players but the overall way that the club head is made is the same. I do know that TM dose use other foundries for the forging of there "tour" heads and they are milled on the faces. I hope that I am correct with this post and if not then I am sure that there are some others here that can provide the correct info.
  • tony Qtony Q Members Posts: 221
    All I want is some raw cool footage of the business being done. I'm talkin' the actuall process of a raw head done. not the finnishing for players. the actual head making , including the forging or cast process.
  • LegacyUserLegacyUser Guests Posts: 0
    I think this might be at the Mizuno factory. That's a finished forged sand wedge and a 4 iron ready for the tour.
  • GxgolferGxgolfer Site Founder & Co-Owner SF Bay Area, CARules Official, Administrator Posts: 26,778 admin
    edited May 15, 2006 #10
    Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
    Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
    BST AD Help
    If you have a general help question, post here:
    GolfWRX Website Help Desk
    That was interesting, the 11 steps of miura irons being made was cool. In fact, I didn't realize that the hosel is made separately and added to the club head afterwards. Didn't realize they were seperate components.

Very informative.

thanks.

any more?
  • sheppy335sheppy335 TMAG Junkie Members Posts: 6,348 ✭✭
    That was very informative, I have seen how cast clubs are made but never forged.
    TM M3 440 TP 10 Mitsubishi Kai'li
    TM M2 Tour 15 Kuro Kage
    TM M1 Tour 18 Aldila RIP Alpha 6
    TM TP UDI 2 iron 18 UST Recoil 110
    TM TP UDI 3 iron 20 Paderson KINETXX 950
    TM RSi TP UDI 4 iron 23 Aldila Trinity 65
    TM P790 6,7 Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM P790 Black 8-PW Nippon Modus 3 130
    TM xFT TP 50 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Milled Grind Black Wedge 54 Nippon Pro Black WV115
    TM ATV HP 58 Nippon Pro WV115
    TM Rossa Ghost Tour AGSI+ FO-74

I drop the 2 iron or one of the other UDI's based on course.
  • dcorundcorun Members Posts: 369
    A very detailed process. No wonder Miura irons are considered some of the best irons in the world. image/idhitit.gif' class='bbc_emoticon' alt=':)' />
    TM M2 Driver - 10.0*` Fujikura Pro 50 R Flex (2017)
    Cobra F6 3 Wood - 14.5* Matrix Red Tie 65Q 4 R Flex
    Cobra F6 Hybrid 3 - 18.5* Matrix Red Tie 65Q 4 R Flex
    Cobra F6 Hybrid 4 - 21.5* Matrix Red Tie 65Q 4 R Flex
    Cobra F6 Hybrid 5 - 24.5* Matrix Red Tie 65Q 4 R Flex
    Cleveland 588 MT Irons 6 - SW UST/Mamiya Actionlite 55 R Flex
    Cleveland Huntington Beach Collection Putter #4 - 35"
    As Miura are and have been my dream set of irons for the last 3-4 years, I can confirm that I will be getting them in the next month. I have found a place called "Frozen Rope" in England which is located at a golf club called Camberley Heath Golf Club. A friend of me, Christian, who works in the proshop has advised me to be fitted by a chap named Sami. He says Sami seems to be the real deal, having worked with alot of touring pros. and I'm talking top ten players in the world ranking included. In fact, need grinding on your wedges? check this guy out.

I will post my pics when I get them sweet bats!!!!!!!!