Need some Pype advice, please.

driverwedge ·  
driverwedgedriverwedge If you swing hard and miss, it hurts a bit.Members  3877WRX Points: 151Posts: 3,877 Titanium Tees
vs. WB on a TBTP
Hey all. Before I start pulling shafts, I am looking for insight on how a Protopype 70x would work on my Tour Burner TP 9.5*. I have a WB 73s Tipped 1" on it now and it hits moon-shots. Decent dispersion and great feel, but it hits a towering (non-ballooning) draw with very little, if any, roll.

I've since been told that the head is super high launching with low spin. I was hoping the WB would take the launch down a peg, but no-go. I've also been told that the Protopype is lower launching, but slightly higher spinning, than the WB.

I hit the ball flush or slightly up on it already, so I know I'm not hitting down on the ball. I haven't been on a launch monitor with this club and have only hit it outside up against my other drivers (check sig). This current combo feels the best, but has the worst results (by a lot) when it comes to distance.

So my questions are: Would I be better off putting the Pype into the TBTP if I wanted the ball flight lowered? Would this be a day/night difference, or simply something that's noticeable? Other opinions and insight welcome!

Thank you and happy holidays!

Edit: spelling.
Posted:
Adams 9064LS 8.5*/ Aldila CINNAMON 65-X
Adams Super LS Black 18*/ Redboard 83x
Adams Red 20*/ AxivRed 104x Or
MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7
MP T5 Black Ion 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny
Tour Issue Drizzle Stick (In case it rains).
All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+
WITB Link

Comments

• Barry72Barry72 Members  99WRX Points: 0Posts: 99
    I had a protopype 70x in my driver before switching to the WB 83x. I found it felt much stouter but didn't drop my launch over my previous shaft, loved my Rombax TP 80x right up to the point it broke:(

I also found I had a wider spread of misses left or right, not far off line but couldn't belt it up the right side as usual for fear of the odd one drifting slightly right. Put the WB 83x in and it feels so much smoother and I hit it more consistantly, I still launch higher than I want but thats not going to change until I get some time to practise and fix a swing fault I have.

If you like the 73x I'd try the 83x first as the pype will feel so different to what you have.

Barry.
    Posted:
  • GolfWRXGolfWRX Warning Points: 0  11 Members Posts: 11 #ad

Advertisement
  • ksavy17ksavy17 Members  2625WRX Points: 60Posts: 2,625 Bunkers
    you could try a PX graphite shaft as well
    Posted:
    ST 190G 9* w/Tensei Orange 70X
    Rogue 15* w/EF Blue 75X
    P790 17* w/KK Black 80X
    V6 Tour CB/MB 3-PW w/PX 6.5
    SM7 48F*/54M*/60M* w/DG Onyx S400
    Spider Tour Black
    TP5x
  • cb_golfercb_golfer "fine purveyor of skanky fades" Members  1365WRX Points: 0Posts: 1,365
    I found the pype launched lower and maybe a touch higher in spin than the WB. The Rombax Z launched the same as the pype and had lower spin. Heard good things about the PX but haven't tried it yet.
    Posted:
  • OldSkoolTexanOldSkoolTexan BORN TO PLAY BALATA! Members  2759WRX Points: 132Posts: 2,759 Titanium Tees
    The 83X WB is much more beastly than the 73X. I guarantee that if you take a 83X WB and knock an inch off the tip, there will be no ballooning issues. Plus with the soft butt section, it will still be smooth.

The Pype is a stout offering as well, definitely anti-left if tipped. A XX AvixCore Tour Red isnt bad either. Smoother than the Pype. Im not a fan of the PX graphite. I wanted to like it but I couldnt....
    Posted:
  • Barry72Barry72 Members  99WRX Points: 0Posts: 99
    I have a Rombax 7Z08 in a 9.5 425 head, same loft I tried the pype in and have found it to be lower launching and lower spin than the pype. Not willing to mess with my WB setup but the Rombax may well sneek into the bag after I try it in a 7.5 head., if it doesn't I really want to try the 8Z08.

Barry.
    Posted:
  • driverwedgedriverwedge If you swing hard and miss, it hurts a bit. Members  3877WRX Points: 151Posts: 3,877 Titanium Tees
    Thank you all for your responses! I really do appreciate them. Keep 'em coming, please!

I found a 70x Pype online for about $45 so I grabbed it to give it a shot. Should be here today, but there's a bunch of snow on the ground. I'll try to put it in my TBTP next week and try it out just to see.

So there seems to be a calling for the WB 83x. It's that different than the 73, huh? ****, I'll try anything. I'm definitely NOT ballooning anything I have now. I just don't like the flight on my current 9.5* TBTP. I've never had anything higher than an 8.5* but heard it was a low spinning head that launched a little higher, so I put the WB in it to lower it, but it didn't seem to work too well. I'd hate to see what a "lesser" shaft would do to the flight. Yikes! Should I just write that head off as something that doesn't fit me or could I bring it way down by putting an 83x, PX, etc. in it?

I've got an Axivcore Red X now and love it in my Cobra. PX is something I have zero experience with. About how much could I get one for?

Again, thank you all for your help!
    Posted:
    Adams 9064LS 8.5*/ Aldila CINNAMON 65-X
    Adams Super LS Black 18*/ Redboard 83x
    Adams Red 20*/ AxivRed 104x Or
    MP64 4-7/ MP4 8-PW (6-PW 1*weak)/ DG X7
    MP T5 Black Ion 50,56,60/ Black Chrome S400
    Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 34" Custom Shop Blue Paint and Jackpot Johnny
    Tour Issue Drizzle Stick (In case it rains).
    All riding on a blue Clicgear 3.5+
    WITB Link

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.