2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

2014 Taylormade Gloire Driver

idrive

Golfcaddy: I haven't tried the MT in this head yet, but I have used that shaft a fair bit.

It's a solid offering. Mid-ish flight, slightly less spin then mid. The thing that really recommends it is that it's like taking the Tour AD feel and pairing it with the Aldila Voodoo VS. By that I mean it just lets you do your think, like the Voodoo, and it works well as long as one isn't too extreme on either the fast or slow side.

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had the chance to hit the fire express LD at the range today. It is way more stable for my swing when compared to the Bassara hawk. I did adjust the loft to over 10 degrees. Great mid launch that would climb with NO ballon flight at all. I can go after the ball hard and the shaft is true and very stable. I play 27 holes tomorrow at my home course so I hope my swing is solid. I really want to see if the distance is there. No way to know at the range about the distance. At this point I am impressed with this combo. The Bassara hawk is going up for sale. Great shaft but not built for 100 plus mph SS.

I put an MT 5 in the Gloire today and couldnt ask for more. It was the whole package, smooth feel, control, balance, and seemed a perfect match for this head.

i have tried several other shafts , but something was missing. The main problem was into the wind performance and trajectory. I have the 10.5 in the upright lie position and basically hit a dead straight ball or a slight draw on a strong mid to high trajectory with great carry, and a perfect angle of descent. It was dead straight and flat into a few 15 to 20 mph headwind shots matching the SYARD T388 (my benchmark into the wind club).

I will try the MT 6 also but cant see it beating out the MT- 5. I might LOFT UP to see what happens. Curious to see this shaft in the 12 degree SLDR.

[quote name='golfcaddy1969' timestamp='1394856236' post='8875545']
I had the chance to hit the fire express LD at the range today. It is way more stable for my swing when compared to the Bassara hawk. I did adjust the loft to over 10 degrees. Great mid launch that would climb with NO ballon flight at all. I can go after the ball hard and the shaft is true and very stable. I play 27 holes tomorrow at my home course so I hope my swing is solid. I really want to see if the distance is there. No way to know at the range about the distance. At this point I am impressed with this combo. The Bassara hawk is going up for sale. Great shaft but not built for 100 plus mph SS.
[/quote]

let us know how it goes

My swing was terrible yesterday. I was off balance all day. However I hit several good drives. Again very stable shaft and I like the added weight. Distance is still an issue. Still not sure if this is the best distance combo for me. I started swinging much too hard so it was a rough day. Got to give this combo another try.

[quote name='golfcaddy1969' timestamp='1394937228' post='8880227']
Dang it Man. I guess I have to give the MT5 or 6 a try now. It keeps coming up as the right match for the Gloire or the JDM 430 sldr.
[/quote]

Just for kicks I took the MT 5 that had off the charts great results in the 2014 Glorie Driver and put it in the 12 degree 460 SLDR set to 13.5 degrees. Results were equally as good , and although I didnt have a monitor when I tested it on the course, there was a visible ball speed pick up with a near perfect launch , and angle of descent. I have played this course since the late 1960s and know what a great landmark is for tee shot on every driving hole. I had my SLDR tweaked up well with the MIYAZAKI white 56, but the GT 5 BLEW IT AWAY in every area.

[quote name='driverhead' timestamp='1395236320' post='8903575']
[quote name='golfcaddy1969' timestamp='1394937228' post='8880227']
Dang it Man. I guess I have to give the MT5 or 6 a try now. It keeps coming up as the right match for the Gloire or the JDM 430 sldr.
[/quote]

Just for kicks I took the MT 5 that had off the charts great results in the 2014 Glorie Driver and put it in the 12 degree 460 SLDR set to 13.5 degrees. Results were equally as good , and although I didnt have a monitor when I tested it on the course, there was a visible ball speed pick up with a near perfect launch , and angle of descent. I have played this course since the late 1960s and know what a great landmark is for tee shot on every driving hole. I had my SLDR tweaked up well with the MIYAZAKI white 56, but the GT 5 BLEW IT AWAY in every area.
[/quote]
Do you feel that the sldr with the mt5 is longer than the Gloire head with the same shaft? I tried a US sldr 460 with a fire express shaft and it was a dead tie in terms of distance with my Gloire head. The Gloire to me is still much better in terms of feel and forgiveness but I was surprised that the sldr was as long. The Gloire was a little lower in spin but not much.

[quote name='golfcaddy1969' timestamp='1395240849' post='8904049']
Do you feel that the sldr with the mt5 is longer than the Gloire head with the same shaft? I tried a US sldr 460 with a fire express shaft and it was a dead tie in terms of distance with my Gloire head. The Gloire to me is still much better in terms of feel and forgiveness but I was surprised that the sldr was as long. The Gloire was a little lower in spin but not much.
[/quote]

Its too early to tell. Too close to call, but the SLDR might have a slight edge when the FWS are fully dried out. Gloire has better feel and way more forgiving on shots slightly below center. I basically hit a straight ball with the Gloire, and a tight controlled draw with the SLDR. THe MT 5 improved the SLDR feel at impact .

Im going to complete this experiment.

Next up... R1 V2, JETSPEED, for the MT 5

Gloire - MT 6
Cobra Bio Cell and + MT 5

[quote name='idrive' timestamp='1394171210' post='8817375']
[quote name='Tom Gski' timestamp='1394159942' post='8816085']
[quote name='golfcaddy1969' timestamp='1394153804' post='8815257']
[quote name='93tothehole' timestamp='1394042096' post='8803955']
No other comments on these? Anyone else tried them?
[/quote]
I picked up a mint Gloire for $499 shipped. The stock shaft is too long and too light but it is the best feeling club that I have ever hit. I will also go on record as saying I have never hit a club more forgiving. I tried mine with a borrowed ADDI 6 stiff and did not miss a fairway no matter how hard I went after it. If you can find a used one at a fair price it is well worth the money.
[/quote]How many PGA pros use them?
[/quote]

The same amount that are PAID to play them. TM isn't going to pay someone to play a club the US market player isn't going to buy because he can't afford it, yet.
Not too many years from now they will. Just as I said in the opening post, as soon as they make (develop) this technology [i]cheaply [/i]it will be what we all play a few years from now.

Kinda like the 80" HD I just bought at Cosco for about 5K that sold new for 20K a few years a go......
[/quote]

That's not really accurate. Most tour players, especially the good ones are able to play any equipment they want. They may have to make the hide the brand names or even make it appear that it is under their companies umbrella but if Phil Mickelson or Tiger Woods or Matt Kuchar wanted to use the TM Glorie then they absolutely can. This is very common.

Well then maybe a couple of them are playing it!!!!!!

They've just repainted it and put a different head cover over it so everyone will keep buying the retail usdm equipment being
marketed that they've made 500,000 of in China as cheaply as possible.

On the Japan tours where it is played, they don't have to hide it.

[quote name='LRgolfer14' timestamp='1395381737' post='8916223']
[/quote]
I picked up a mint Gloire for $499 shipped. The stock shaft is too long and too light but it is the best feeling club that I have ever hit. I will also go on record as saying I have never hit a club more forgiving. I tried mine with a borrowed ADDI 6 stiff and did not miss a fairway no matter how hard I went after it. If you can find a used one at a fair price it is well worth the money.
[/quote]

The same amount that are PAID to play them. TM isn't going to pay someone to play a club the US market player isn't going to buy because he can't afford it, yet.
Not too many years from now they will. Just as I said in the opening post, as soon as they make (develop) this technology [i]cheaply [/i]it will be what we all play a few years from now.

Kinda like the 80" HD I just bought at Cosco for about 5K that sold new for 20K a few years a go......
[/quote]

That's not really accurate. Most tour players, especially the good ones are able to play any equipment they want. They may have to make the hide the brand names or even make it appear that it is under their companies umbrella but if Phil Mickelson or Tiger Woods or Matt Kuchar wanted to use the TM Glorie then they absolutely can. This is very common.
[/quote]

And I guess you have intimate knowledge as to how the contracts between the players and the equipment companies are written? This must be one of the most common myths out there, that tour players "can play whatever they want", this is absolutely NOT true! There are for sure serious restrictions as to what they can play, even within the brand thay are contracted to. US players are expected to play USDM equipment, or at least what looks like USDM equipment, the contracts are strict, very little leeway is allowed. Are you saying that Phil and Tiger have tested every driver out there, USDM and JDM and by pure fluke they ended up with a Callaway and a NIke driver? You do realise that sounds ridiculous, farfetched and even stupid right?

This is nothing new. When Tiger originally signed with Titleist he had Miura build him his own set of "Titleist" irons. They were Miura irons with a Titlesit name on them. That is why no one could buy the same irons he used. After signing with nike he didn't use one of their retail drivers for years. Just last year after Phil won the British he began using the SLDR. I'm surprised people are so shocked to hear this.

http://www.sbnation.com/golf/2013/10/5/4804156/phil-mickelson-driver-callaway-taylormade-sldr-presidents-cup-2013

Initally Tiger only had a deal for clothes and the ball with Nike. The equipment contract came later.
But of course, it's possible Tiger sent out his specs, invited every maker and tried every driver and iron under the sun, JDM or USDM, compared them without prejudice, and still ended up with a full Nike bag..And if he didn't, Nike would still be happy to pay him all those millions even if he didn't game a single Nike club, because "he can play whatever he wants"..Just a [i]little bit [/i]farfetched, no?
Tour players are not gods, if Phil and Tiger started gaming other clubs over any longer period of time, they would be dumped by Callaway and Nike. Yes, even Tiger. If he where to game Mizuno irons and a Callaway driver for a full season for example. With a Titleist ball.
A bit of leeway at times for the highest profile players at times, but just a bit. Directly under the likes of Tiger and Phil, the contracts are probably very very rigid and not flexible at all.

some some of you guys asking about shafts for the club, don't know if it's because you were having trouble finding adapters for it but, here you go [url="http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Silver-Glorie-TP-335-Adapter-Sleeve-Replacement-for-TaylorMade-Glorie-Driver-/111284427324?pt=Golf_Clubmaking_Products_US&hash=item19e9119a3c"]http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Silver-Glorie-TP-335-Adapter-Sleeve-Replacement-for-TaylorMade-Glorie-Driver-/111284427324?pt=Golf_Clubmaking_Products_US&hash=item19e9119a3c[/url]

[quote name='Vegaman' timestamp='1395413011' post='8917809']
[quote name='LRgolfer14' timestamp='1395381737' post='8916223']
[/quote]
[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

And I guess you have intimate knowledge as to how the contracts between the players and the equipment companies are written? This must be one of the most common myths out there, that tour players "can play whatever they want", this is absolutely NOT true! There are for sure serious restrictions as to what they can play, even within the brand thay are contracted to. US players are expected to play USDM equipment, or at least what looks like USDM equipment, the contracts are strict, very little leeway is allowed. Are you saying that Phil and Tiger have tested every driver out there, USDM and JDM and by pure fluke they ended up with a Callaway and a NIke driver? You do realise that sounds ridiculous, farfetched and even stupid right?
[/quote]

Let's keep this civil, shall we? No need to call it stupid....

Why do so many JDM topics get ugly? If you believe it is hype and nonsense then so be it. I understand. JDM gear is not for everyone. All I know is this club is something special. Would I give the going rate of $920??? Or $765 on EBay? Who can say. I got mine shipped for $499 and it was worth it to me.

[quote name='golfcaddy1969' timestamp='1395931182' post='8961483']
Just received the GD MT6 shaft. I also per Idrives advice added weight with lead tape. Going to the range this evening for a battle of shafts. The GD looks great with the Gloire head.
[/quote]

As an alternative to lead tape you can use tungsten weight pads from GOLFWORKS. They are 2 grams each, 1/2 square inch in size, and bond well to the clubhead. You can cut then to any size for more precise placement.

The MT 5 is solid but IM trying a MATRIX VELOX 50 S that is counteweighted and will bump the GLOIRE head weight up to 204 grams.

Ok the Wall O Water has passed Kentucky and I get to play 27 holes tomorrow. It will be my first time with the new Graphite Design MT6 stiff. Great looking shaft with this head. Can't wait to see if it performs. I did add about 15 grams of lead tape to the bottom. Club now weighs 309. The quadra fire deserves more time with the lead tape added as well. The head was too light at 187. Had to get more weight there