Disney's Palm

jnier75

I was able to play the newly renovated Disney Palm golf course yesterday morning (Sunday 2/9). The Arnold Palmer design team worked on the course for about 6 months in 2012 redesigning the course's bunkers and greens and tweaking fairways and tee boxes. I had mixed feelings when I heard Arnold Palmer would be doing the redesign as I believe their courses are hit or miss. After playing yesterday, I am pleasantly surprised with the changes they made to the course. I believe they added much needed character while maintaining the original spirit of the 40 year old Joe Lee design.

A few holes remained largely the same, save minor tweaks to a bunker or adding a contour to the green but for the most part, holes were changed rather dramatically in and around the green complexes and bunkers. Every bunker already existing near a green was deepened and the wall steepened. You're almost required to hit high and soft sand shots if you reach the beach now. Fairway bunkers have more crags where your ball can get stuck up next to a lip but are still rather shallow which allows for playability. Every green on the course has been touched. Some were expanded, others shrunk and, in the case of number 13, completely moved. Putts actually break more than an inch now and require reading which is a departure from the old greens and the ones on Magnolia. One feature I noticed of the changes is that longer is better on most approach shots. The bunkering mostly protects the front and sides of greens while there is just large flat areas behind them, so err on the long side if you play. Fairways have been widened on many holes. This goes with the new Florida design trend of never letting a golfer miss a fairway. Tee boxes were largely unchanged although several were moved up, including the par 3 12th, that now plays as a mid to short iron to a heavily bunkered and raised green.

The most notable changes were to numbers 11, 12, and 13. 11 is a straight, semi-reachable par 5 where the existing fairway bunkers were deepened and green completely changed. Before the green had bunkering covering the front with little run up area, now the bunkering has moved to the extreme left of the green and sits between 10 and 20 yards in front of the green leaving no sand defense. What they have done is sloped the green from front to back and added a back trap. The changes to this hole are the only ones I didn't care for as I thought them rather unnecessary. Also, I think they need to add in undulations to the fairway to give the hole some more teeth as I believe it's been made too easy. I touched on 12s changes before, shortened length, deepened and added bunkers, contoured the green. Pretty hole, I wished I had taken a picture. I really liked the changes to 13. The hole is completely driveable now. The scorecard still reads 340 from the tips but they moved the entire green. It now borders the water which pushes the green to a distance of about 260 from the tips as the crow flies. I played it from one tee forward which got it into my range of 245. I ended up 5 yards short and still bogeyed, hate when that happens.

Overall I really like the changes they've made. They are certainly noticeable and for the most part well thought out and in line with Palmer's risk-reward play theory. The course is still healing from the face lift but I'm sure everything will be grown in by end of spring. I don't think the changes are significant enough to change the opinions of people who did not like the course in the past but I believe it's a step in the right direction. I encourage anyone who has enjoyed it in the past to have another go at it and see the changes for yourself.

The Bayou Club, Largo, FL
Lots of TMade clubs and an old SC putter

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've played there several times since the renovation and I, although I love the course, can't seem to get over what they did to 13. I understand and appreciate that the course needed a short, driveable par 4, I just really liked the way it looked before. The green by the water is pretty cool though!!! Bonkers are WAY too fluffy, if you're in the bonker you're screwed!!! Overall, I agree with your review, I do think the bonkers need to be packed a little bit more. If you want to play please PM me.

You seem to be bonkers about the bunkers.

Sorry couldn't resist. The bunkers were fine for me but I have to assume the 2 days of rain prior had firmed them up. I got in them 5 times and only had trouble with one due to inability to make a good stance(tiny bunker on 6 green).

I think 13 needs something visual along the back tree line. It seems a little bland now that the pine tree line has been decimated save the 3 left to protect the dogleg.

The Bayou Club, Largo, FL
Lots of TMade clubs and an old SC putter

I cant really speak much to the old vs new design aspect as I only played there once before the renovation, but I played it in December once it reopened and I really liked the course. I liked the 13th. Probably because I somehow drove the green and 2 putted for birdie. 14-18 is a great stretch of holes IMO. I liked the course before and I like it now. Now that Osprey was sold to The Four Seasons its my favorite of the 3 remaining Disney Courses.

Just played there yesterday. Great shape. They're working on this course day in and day out. Greens are FIRMMMM, bonkers are getting a lot better. They just punched all of the teeboxes because before they were so firm you couldn't even put a tee down on some of them. I agree with Moose, my favorite of the remainding courses!

I played the Palm (as well as Magnolia and LBV) last month. First time back in about 10 years. It was in great condition and nice layout. Can't really make any comparisons since I last played it so long ago. The one guy that joined our group did mention the driveable par 4. He thought the original green was further back on the left. The existing green is REALLY tight to the pond.

• 2 weeks later...

I just read the link you posted BB....I think it's great that they're "warning" people, as there are some minor imperfections, and they do need to warn those who are extremely picky and do not have any idea of what it takes to renovate a golf course. I don't think it's as bad as they make it out to be at all, I think the course is coming along great, and although there are those minor imperfections, they don't bother me one bit and they don't affect play nor the outcome of a shot.