2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Best way to start out

the am in pro/am

I've been doing a lot of looking into the golf market for work, and have become mildly obsessed. However, aside from the occasional game of mini-golf and a bucket of balls on the range every 2 years or so, my relationship with the game is about non-existant.

My grandfather gave me his clubs around Christmas time since he was no longer using them (to be honest I don't think he ever used more than the putter to putz around the back yard). He was psyched that one of his grandkids wanted them and wanted to learn golf (I think he was hoping it would be one of his grandsons, but he was excited none the less to pass them along to me).

I was wondering if you all could provide some suggestions about getting started in the game of golf. My uncle said he would teach me, but I'd rather have him fine tune things once I get a handle on it than have him have to teach me flat out.

I've also heard that playing 18 holes can be quite tiring. How do you keep your energy up on the course? I have been involved in sports for forever (basketball and softball in high school) and I just spent the past 4 years rowing at a D1 school (in that respect my understanding of what my body needs is at an extreme rather than a norm, meaning I know how to get quick fixes and take good naps). Is there anything you bring with you on the course that helps you stay up and focused?

Anyway, any help you guys could give me on getting started and how to make it through 18 would be soooooo greatly appreciated.

THANKS!!!

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd recommend getting a book and/or a series of lessons with a professional... just to get some fundamentals squared away, so you don't feel like you're re-inventing the way the game is played. I learned primarily from Ben Hogan's book (Five Lessons ~$15), there are surely many other books with similar scopes...and probably more expensive. If you're not all about learning from books, or you want quicker results, then a series of lessons (or group- lessons) might be a good route.

Once you have identified something that you would like to work on...then go PRACTICE: hit a lot of balls at the range (or in a field). I have heard that it takes between 1,000 and 10,000 repetitions to make "muscle-memory".

Personally, I think it is important to work on 1-3 things at any given time. Any more than that and you might feel swamped. And if you're not working on anything...then you're not getting better. So hit a lot of balls, get feedback or advice when you feel stuck. Good luck...and remember to have some fun with it.

The best thing you could do would be to take lessons from a teaching professional. That way you will start out buildng good fundamentals from the start. Once you start out and play for a while developing bad habits, it is not so easy to break them. Then as mentioned above, play and have fun. As for golf endurance and staying up, just the basics. I take an energy bar, banana, or something like that in my bag and drink a lot of water. If I am going to the range to practice, I sometimes take the Ipod along. Good luck and have fun.

Ok so once I get a few lessons under my belt, is there a better time of day or day of the week to head out to the course, where if I'm still slow moving (I already have this feeling my short game is going to need a lot of work) I'll disrupt the fewest number of people. I know that one of the biggest peves of golfers is getting stuck behind a slow moving group, and while I can take the dirty looks, etc. I'd rather make friends on the course than have people frustrated with me.

I agree with getting a lesson or two. Ask someone at the local course when a slow time would be. A lot of places have daytime leagues or groups that play every week. Take a LOT of balls with you. While you are learning, you will lose a lot of balls or spray them all over the place ( I still do myself ). Don't spend a lot of time looking for one ---- just drop another and play on. But mostly have fun. Be able to laugh at yourself because you will make a golf ball do some strange things until you get the hang of it.

I re-emphasize.... Take lessons. Take them early before you form habits you will have to unlearn.

Beginner lessons can be very inexpensive, and can be taken in a group (but I wouldn't recommend that).

You will learn proper grip and stance to start, and maybe a little bit of swing 'stuff'.

Take these lessons while you're planning on playing or even planning to just go to the range at first.

On playing- I am an adult who just started 2 plus years ago. The best advice I can give you is find a 'leisurely' golf course. Find a 9 hole course with par 3 holes.

This gives you the ability to get comfortable with irons, before breaking out the driver where things can be a bit hairy. If you find the 9 hole par 3 course a breeze, then move up a bit.

The reason I mention a 9 hole/par 3 is because you will also find yourself playing with some like minded, like skilled players, making your whole experience a little less daunting. Don't get me wrong, some very skilled players will play these course to hone their iron play, but generally speaking people at those courses will be looking to do what you are... have fun and learn.

I hope this helps a bit. Good luck, and have fun.