2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

USPGA tour - boring when Tiger's not playing

richardgrime

Is it just me but do you find the golf in the USPGA tour events boring this year and all the exiting events are when we get a proper field like at the matchplay last week and Dubai three weeks ago. I seems to me that Golf worldwide has such strong events that the USPGA needs to look out if it is going to keep it's Status as the No.1 Tour.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I disagree...and dont get me wrong, I love watching Tiger play because bottom line he is the best in the game and you never know what he will do next...but at the same time...I like to watch other golfers as well and when Tiger is in the field, that is all we see....even this week at the Match Play Tiger gets ousted on Friday and after play was done on Sunday they spend 30 minutes talking about Tiger.

But I am clearly in the minority...thats why we see every single shot Tiger hits in an event.

Driver: ZX5 MKII 8.5 LS w NEWTON MOTION SHAFT 6 DOT
Fairway: Srixon ZX MKII 13.5* w/ GD TOUR AD M9003
Hybrid: Srixon ZX MKII 16* w/ Nippon GOST

Utility: Srixon ZX MKII 20* w/Nippon GOST
Irons: SRIXON ZX5 LIMITED EDITION BLACK C-TAPER 120 BLACK
Wedges: RTX6 50* and 56*
Putter: Frontline Elite RHO

Ball: Z-Star XV Divide

All with Bad@$$ headcovers

I disagree...and dont get me wrong, I love watching Tiger play because bottom line he is the best in the game and you never know what he will do next...but at the same time...I like to watch other golfers as well and when Tiger is in the field, that is all we see....even this week at the Match Play Tiger gets ousted on Friday and after play was done on Sunday they spend 30 minutes talking about Tiger.

But I am clearly in the minority...thats why we see every single shot Tiger hits in an event.

i completely agree. I read an article in GolfWeek maybe a month or 2 ago and it was an interview with one of the producers of TGC saying how they weren't going to be showing every shot of tiger and they werent going to show tiger walking up the fairway or tapping a putt in. Guess they couldnt live up to their word. Im not a tiger hater and i like to see him swing and play but id much more rather see other players. Even at the matchplay they showed tiger close to 50% of the time. Even when tiger was done, they didnt even show the extra holes with Adam Scott and Micheel. Instead they talked about tigers round.

I dissagree, but I'm definately more into it when he's playing. I just can't get over how little golf is actually shown during the TV coverage. It feels like there is more comercial time than playing time... and that's counting all the scenic shots, commentator shots, and filler stats.. so little golf ball striking is shown it drives me nuts.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

Welcome to the world of infatuation by the US. Tiger made golf what it is today in the US because he's so good. Alot of people began watching golf just to see Tiger play and how much better he is than everyone else. They didn't initially turn on the tube or go to a tourney to learn the game or see all the pros.

Now we are stuck with having to see every one of Tiger's shots because that's what the mass public wants to see and that's what makes the networks money. I personally would like to see more profiles of all worldy golfers and more shots by all of the leading groups with break-ins from great shots around the course. It's become too commercialized and that could eventually hurt it.

Not that I'm not a vicitm of the commercialization - I love my New York Jets driver head cover...LOL

I'd just want to see more golf. I dont care who it is. Way too many comercials and filler junk between shots.

Many Byron Putters
Scratch Don Whites
Scratch Jeff McCoys
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/646544-finalists-witb-452013-damascus-byron-scratch-td/page__hl__%20finalist"]WITB Link[/url]

Not a tiger hater here at all, but i agree, there are times that tgc as well as all the networks need to spend less time on tiger and more on the rest of the field. There are a lot of other players i like more than and root for over tiger but rarley get too see much out of them when tiger is in a field, unless there in his group ;)

i've watched 2 events with tiger playing - dubai and buick - and both were exciting. i've also watched the sony in hawaii and that was a great tournament with a exciting finish; parts of pebble - phil was in control and not over exciting; then the nissan - no tiger and it was an exciting final round and extra holes; and saturday and sunday of the match play and it was great.

its fun watching tiger, but he isn't the pga tour. its great seeing all the talent emerging and some of the re-emerging stars.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

It's apparently really easy to forget when Michael Jordan ruled basketball. Even though it is a team game, it was MJ this, Jordan that, Michael Jordan from downtown....YES!

Tiger is just like MJ. An anomaly. Completely different, and more talented than anyone else AND he can apply that talent better than anyone on tour AND he's completely changed the game. Typical million-dollar-paychecks, huge TV ratings AND course changes. Anyone ever hear of Nicklaus-proofing golf courses? Hell no.

I love to watch it. I wish there were some golfers to give him a challenge, but it seems to only happen when Tiger decides to change his swing. It's like it's HIS choice to have competition.

He's just fun to watch. I didn't even tune in for the Match Play final, but would've if there was a bigger name. Even Sergio, who putts like Stevie Wonder.

Follow our Two Guys Talkin Golf (TG2) Podcast on Instagram + Twitter + iTunes + SoundCloud
 Click here to grab a new "circle" avatar

I think there are more folks out there who are getting sick of the sycophant attitude the media has towards Tiger, but he is the draw and brings in the dollars.

I've chimed in to put my vote in your camp as well.... The PGA has that commercial "These guys are good".... But to paraphrase that Ausie commercial (one of my favorites) 'where the hell are they'? With Tiger, you see much less of the field.... I bet if some of the pros watch the replay they'd wonder if they were even in the tournament!

It's apparently really easy to forget when Michael Jordan ruled basketball. Even though it is a team game, it was MJ this, Jordan that, Michael Jordan from downtown....YES!

Tiger is just like MJ. An anomaly. Completely different, and more talented than anyone else AND he can apply that talent better than anyone on tour AND he's completely changed the game. Typical million-dollar-paychecks, huge TV ratings AND course changes. Anyone ever hear of Nicklaus-proofing golf courses? Hell no.

I love to watch it. I wish there were some golfers to give him a challenge, but it seems to only happen when Tiger decides to change his swing. It's like it's HIS choice to have competition.

He's just fun to watch. I didn't even tune in for the Match Play final, but would've if there was a bigger name. Even Sergio, who putts like Stevie Wonder.

Personally, I don't think you could've had two more interesting golfers in the final.

If you find watching golf boring because one player isn't in the field, then the problem is with you and not TGC or whoever is covering the event. Broaden your golf horizons a little and learn to appreciate other players, and good golf in general, instead of being so infatuated with one player that his absence is bothersome.

I find myself pulling for other players during tournaments that TW plays in. Any player on tour can beat him, they just need to get it in their head that they can do it.

There are a handful of players that make tournaments fun to watch. But holy cow, there are some of them today on the TGC coverage that epitomize what NOBODY wants to watch.

Seems like they were covering about a dozen 30 to 40-something white guys who all have ridiculously long setup routines, hitchy swings, and hit marginal shots and then get up and down for par. It was painful.

The reason people love watching Tiger, Phil, Ernie, Sergio, and those guys is because when they're not playing, the rest of the guys make it look like the most boring sport in the universe.

I agree