2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Miura Wedges (specifically grinds)

lowndes

I've ordered a set of Miura PP-9003 and am going to replace my wedges with Miura's as well. I'm currently leaning towards getting the PP-9003 and the C grind 55 and 59 degree wedges. However, I'm interested in people's opinions as to the other grinds and their versatility. What would the reasons for considering a Y or K grind be instead of the C grind for those two wedges? Currently considering three options:

1. 51 degree Y, 55 degree C and 60 degree K (51 Y for approach shots, 55 C for everything and 60 K for sand, deep rough and lobs)

2. PP-9003 GW, 55 degree C and 59 degree C (GW for approach shots, 55 C for everything and 59 C for lobs)

3. 51 degree Y, 55 degree C and 59 degree C (51 Y for approach shots, 55 C for everything and 59 C for lobs)

Any help would be much appreciated.

Edit: I'll add how I typically use my current wedges. Currently play 50, 54 and 58 degree vokeys.

50 degree = really only ever use this for full shots.

54 degree = use this for everything: full shots from fairway, chips and pitches around the green, longer bunker shots

58 degree = use for full shots from fairway short bunker shots and lobs when necessary.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Having played the 9003, Miura Y Grind 49 (bent to 50), and 56 K (bent to 55), and 60 C, I'd probably opt for the 56 K grind (bent to 55) - 56 K was impressive from the sand and the leading edge better at laying close to the ground than the 60C - I use a lot of partial, soft pitches around the greens and didn't find the 60C useful because of the higher leading edge - Miura doesn't do much grinding even in the C or K (except for the knuckles) and the bounce comes in too soon for me, resulting in the leading edge too high off the ground - it's not confidence building. The 56 K is not much better. It's too bad they don't move the bounce back a bit so it engages later.

The way you described your wedge use, I'd probably take your choice in 50 in a Y, as long as you don't do a lot of high, soft pitches with the 54-56, I'd look at K grind, and then with the 60, honestly, I'd get fit for an Edel Wedge - that lower leading edge and grinding job really does the job. I'd probably say the same for the 54-56, only because if you hit a variety of shots with the 54-56 (open faced, etc), it's nice to have the scoring lines and grooves moved out for more spin. That's what I've done -- moved to Edel in the 54-60 range - far superior to Miura (or any other wedge I've purchased in over 20 years) in terms of versatility and you are custom fit. I went with Edel cast and found no difference in feel between forged v. cast Edel -- and the price is much sweeter in cast.

Father, Wannabe Golfer, Novelist

• Ping G430 Max 9/TPT 19Hi @45.25
  • Ping G430 3 wd/TPT 19 Hi
  • Callaway Paradym 18 w/TPTGolf 18 Hi
  • Ping G430 4H & 5H w/TPTGolf Hybrid Shaft
  • Ping i230 6-PW Recoil Dart 90
  • Artisan 50, 55, 59 w/ Nippon 105 Wedge
  • Putter:  LAB Cobalt Blue DF3 w/TPT Shaft
  • Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x
  • Ping ChipR in messy or no turf conditions

Thanks for the replies. I'll have to give Edel a look as I have a putter from them that I really like.

Lumberman, curious as to what taking the 57C and bending it to 55 would do for me? I like that setup you describe just curious as to what the added versatility will be by going with the 57C and bending it.

[quote name='lowndes' timestamp='1392996692' post='8715442']
Thanks for the replies. I'll have to give Edel a look as I have a putter from them that I really like.

Lumberman, curious as to what taking the 57C and bending it to 55 would do for me? I like that setup you describe just curious as to what the added versatility will be by going with the 57C and bending it.
[/quote]

It will lower the leading edge just a little.

I play most of my golf in an area of the country in which we have widely varying conditions throughout the year. The spring is wet and soft and the we transition to hard as a rock by late June-September/Oct. and then back to iffy weather.

When things are soft and wet and the grass is really lush I will have my 51Y, 56K & 60K in the bag. I recently got a 52K and haven't really made up my mind about it yet.

My 57C is bent down to 56 and when conditions get firm and fast I end up 51Y 56C & 60K in the bag. If I find myself on a course with no rough and few bunkers and the ground it hard I end up taking the 60K out in favor or a flatter grind Vokey TVD-M model.

I've though about taking some bounce off of the 60K but I just hate to take a grinder to that thing.

It's just what works for me.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

[/quote]

I was surprised by the difference -- if you want a leading edge that sits on the ground and yet have plenty of bounce, moves the grooves out, and whose weight is not heel-favored, give the Edel a demo. I love Miura, have two sets of the PP-9003, and a 49Y grind, but for versatility, it's tough to beat a wedge that fits your swing and can do anything around the greens. The MIura may fit you, but I was through taking chances with fit, and wanted to make certain the wedge fit me. I tried 3 different grinds that the fitter and I thought might fit, demoed them, and found one of the three that fit best.

Good luck, whichever way you go.

• Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

I find the Y-grind just right for full swing approach shots and/or lower trajectory pitches and chips. The C-grind works great for me out of the sand or any type of soft conditions. The K-grind is nothing short of wonderful out of rough or if you don't like opening up a wedge. (I find that the knuckles do the job of an open wedge, but that they don't work the same unless the strike is straight on.)

Swingman -- I'm intrigued by what you say about Edel. A local course offered a fitting last summer, and I didn't go. Maybe will next time. One question though -- what do you mean exactly by "moves the grooves out"?

[color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]_________________________________[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Epon AF-153 / TRPX M1st[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Ryoma 2017 F5[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind CMB2 DI / Crazy STP[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Miura HB3 18 / ProjX[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][size=2]Seven MCB 5-AW[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind 56-onset / NS WV105[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Cally forged copper 64 / DGspin[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Seven Benock Pantaleone [/font][/size][/color][/size][/font][/color]

For years I used my 60* Vokey for basically every single shot around the green, including bunkers. I now have the 51Y, 56K and 60Y and for me it is the absolute perfect set up. The K is the nuts of the sand and rough and I can open it as if I'm using the 60. The Y around the green allows me to play every shot and I can slide under every lie regardless of how tight. I sold my 60K because I just didn't care for it on the super tight lies we get out here in the summer. I don't mind the knuckles on full shots, but I was hitting the flop shots heavy (especially the short, touch flops) because of the extreme bounce of the K.

Grinds are such a subjective thing, though. So much depends on swing, feel, course condition, etc.

The other thing that I've found with the Miuras is that my full shot wedge play has improved by leaps and bounds. I'm 120/95/75 every single time. There are no hot spots or dead spots on these wedges. They are a touch shorter than my Vokeys but just so solid it's ridiculous.

Epic SZ - T1100
13* Epic SZ - T1100
Epic 3H
Epon 303 4-A
Yururi Tataki 55/60
SC X6M

Fyte, you're the first player I've found that says the Miura's are shorter than Vokeys. I gained a couple of yards with every Miura....not that it really mattered that much...just took a bit to get used too.

60k does have mucho bounce for tight/hard pan lies.

SYard T388
TaylorMade RBZ 13-15
Miura CB-57 3-PW
Miura 51Y, 52K,56K, 57C, 60K
Old Titleist Blade

[quote name='freddyottawa' timestamp='1393021546' post='8718064']
So in that situation, what would you have liked the fitter to do? Tell the kid and the dad that he has no business playing golf and buying clubs? Lets remember here that he is a fitter and not a swing coach.

Think about it, the fitter can only work with what he is given and it seems that the Dad and his son were there to buy the clubs they wanted. I'm not really sure what the fitter has to be ashamed about based upon the story you laid out.
[/quote]

[/quote]
[quote name='RLL33' timestamp='1393001522' post='8715932']
I find the Y-grind just right for full swing approach shots and/or lower trajectory pitches and chips. The C-grind works great for me out of the sand or any type of soft conditions. The K-grind is nothing short of wonderful out of rough or if you don't like opening up a wedge. (I find that the knuckles do the job of an open wedge, but that they don't work the same unless the strike is straight on.)

Swingman -- I'm intrigued by what you say about Edel. A local course offered a fitting last summer, and I didn't go. Maybe will next time. One question though -- what do you mean exactly by "moves the grooves out"?
[/quote]

[quote name='RLL33' timestamp='1393001522' post='8715932']

[/quote]

They've moved the grooves out to account for the fact that the sweet spot is in the center of the face, not towards the heel. It's tough to discern the difference in the attachment, but it's, "Whoa!" obvious in person.

• Vessel Bag
  • ProV1x

Just to throw another option out there (because you need more options), I would say don't discount the "regular" wedge series wedges. I use a 53 new wedge series wedge and a 60K bent to 58. I find the 53 is a great transition from the PW - I use it mostly for full/partial swings from the fairway, but have also used it for longer bunker shots.

I use the 58K for most pitches, chips and bunker shots and absolutely love it. As other have said it's great out of the rough and sand, but I also find that for me it is fine off tight lies.

Rogue ST Max LS 9, HZRDUS Black 75 6.0 | Mavrik SZ 15, Evenflow White 75 6.0

P790 UDI, HZRDUS Smoke 90 6.0 | X-Blade 909 4-P, Pro 95i Tour S

Miura 54 Tour, 60K, Modus3 125 W | BB8 DASS

Thanks for all the input, I've decided to go with the Miura PP-9003 GW, the Miura 55 degree C grind bent to 54 degrees and the Miura 60 degree K grind bent to 58 degrees. End of the day it was too much effort to go get fit for the Edel wedges and I am happy with the above selection. Be interested to see how they play on the course though. Thanks again

Nice! Best of luck. Let us know how it goes.

[color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]_________________________________[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Epon AF-153 / TRPX M1st[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Ryoma 2017 F5[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind CMB2 DI / Crazy STP[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Miura HB3 18 / ProjX[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif][size=2]Seven MCB 5-AW[/size][/font][/color][/size][/font][/color][color=#5A5A5A][font=helvetica, arial, sans-serif][size=3]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]A-Grind 56-onset / NS WV105[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Cally forged copper 64 / DGspin[/font][/size][/color]
[color=#808080][size=2][font=verdana, geneva, sans-serif]Seven Benock Pantaleone [/font][/size][/color][/size][/font][/color]

You can't go wrong with the C grind. I play a C 55 & 59. Very versatile, no gimmicks, just an easy wedge to hit.

I've always liked even the Miura "standard" grinds they just feel right through the ball easy to hit.....same with the original Vokeys nearly a decade ago.

JBeam ZY-11 10* Basileus Alpha S / Crazy 435ii 10.5* Basileus AAA X
Tour Issue TM Superfast 2.0 TP 13.5* & 18* UST VTS SIlver 7S
Apex Pro Recoil 95 R // Steelhead XR Pro Recoil ES 760
Vega VM06 50 - 54 - 58 Shimada W
Slighter Auburn

Just curious but did you get the PP9003 or the PP9003 Straight Necks ?
I have the straight necks & love them .
I also have 4 of the New Wedge Series wedges . I have a 51 bent to 50 , 53 bent to 52 , 55 bent to 54 & a 59 bent to 58 .
Obviously I don't bag them all . I sometimes use the 50 , 54 , 58 but if I want to add a longer club I take out the 50 & the 54 and sub in the 52 .
All the best with your new sticks & post some updates as I myself will be very interested to hear how the K bent to 58 plays as I prefer a 58 to a 60 as it provides me with better control .

Epon 103 9.5* Quadra Fire Express 75s
PXG 3 wood 15* GD Tour AD-DJ 7x
PXG 3 & 4 Hybrids GD Tour AD-DI hy85s
Miura CB 57s 5 - PW KBS C-Taper Lite S
Miura New Wedge Series 50 , 54 & 58
Yamada Shogun