2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Chandler Harper Remembered . . .

upndown1

My funnest round of golf & 3 years since his death - who he was .
I remember playing the Smithfield Downs golf course in Smithfield, VA one afternoon when a hobbled up lil fella in his 80's asks if he can join me. Inside, part of me is groaning (this is going to be a slow round) but I say "sure!" I am playing to a 6 handicap at the time and kind of a golf snob at the time when it comes to playing slow rounds.
The gentleman introduces himself as Chandler and I introduce myself. He tells me to tee off 1st and I blister a drive 297 down the right side. (maybe he will just tell me to go on, I think to myself after that shot)
Gingerly, he tees up and crack! 160-170 right dead down the middle. Maybe this won't be so bad I think to myself as I watch his next shot hit 20yds short and rolls through the fringe up on the edge of the green some 45 feet away from the pin. I hit my lob approach to 20 feet from about 25 yards out. The old man sinks the 45 footer for birdie - I 2 putt for par.
Later in the round, we come to a par three and I am on the green feeling good about my chances. Chandler takes out his 3 Wood and plop! 2 inches right of the pin for a kick in birdie.
I watch this go on all day and when the socres are tallied, I am even par and he is -1. the course is only a par 71 5917 with 67.5 and 110 but still . . . He is in his 80s.
I go into the clubhouse and the owners son asks me if I know who I was just playing with? Chandler something or rather I say - that is Chandler Harper he tells me. One of the best Virginia golfers and one of the best ball strikers of all time. He offers me a word of caution though, "Don't park next to him!"
He takes me out to the parking lot and shows me this long red Fleetwood Cadillac that is gouged down both sides of the car. "sometimes he bumps cars pulling out" I am cautioned.

For the better part of the next 2 years, I play on and off with him 1-2 times a week listening to his stories about the PGA, Curtis Stange (His prodigy), why he never won at the Master's ("he was a low ball hitter and that course didn't favor low ball hitters") according to him. It is an amazing amount of luck that I got to know him.

Ok, so who is he and why is he important?

He was in the 1st televised golf match where he was winning and they have even made out the check in his name until Lee Worsham holed out on 18 for eagle to beat him by 1 at the 1953 World championships of golf at Tam O'shanter in Chicago. They call it the shot heard round the world and was the springboard for golf's popularity.

In 1950, he won the PGA Championship at Scioto Country Club in Columbus, Ohio and is considered by the PGA of America to be the last living "club pro" to win the event. This is when it was till match play. He was the head pro at Bid-a-wee golf course in Portsmouth.

He posted 3 top finishes in the masters, played on the Ryder Cup, was elected into the Golf Hall of Fame in 68, won the virginia State open a record 10 times on 9 different courses - the first as an amatuer in 1932 and the last time in 1970. He won 7 tournaments on the PGA between 1950-1955.

He held the 54 hole scoring record alone of 189 (63,63,63) from 1954 until 1996 when John cook tied it.

His lowest 18 hole round was 58 and his best 9 hole score was 28 which he equaled atleast 16 different times.

He won the Senior PGA in 1968 and is one of a select few to win both the PGA and Senior PGA. He also holds the best 3rd round score record in the Senior PGA with an (8 under) 64.

and one of my favorites (because I can just hear him doing it now), In the 1974 US National Seniors, he tells Mike Austin, "Mike, let's see you really let one go."
Chandler's drive left him 140 to the pin meaning that he had drove it over 300 yards. they couldn't find Mikes ball until they walked way up on the gree and noticed a ball on the next tee. Yup, Mike Austin drove it 515 yards and holds the record for longest drive (Mike 3 putted the green for a bogey) but still - with a persimmon and only a 27mph wind???? Mike had several drives that day in excess of 400 yds and was 64 years old at the time!

Chandler had a way of bringing out the best in everyone! He gave me a personolized copy of his book "My first 70 years in golf" that I cherish. He was one amazing fellow!!!!

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Great story!

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

Wonderful story. It's amazing to encounter real skill at any age.

I remember working in a factory one summer with some college kids from the local football team. An always-angry, full-of-himself fullback started picking on the 60 year old floor sweeper. The old guy wasn't putting up with it and the FB suggested they take it outside. It was over in about 90 seconds. Turns out the old guy had been a pro boxer for 25 years.

He never talked about his past and the regular workers had no idea what he could do; as nice a guy as you'd ever want to meet.

Honma Beres 10.5*
Jones/Ortiz 4 wood 17*
Adams Idea Black CB2 irons 26, 29, 33, 37, 41, 45*
Callaway MD3 S grind 52, 56, C grind 60, PM grind 64*
Tom Slighter Custom Needle 450g, 3* loft, 74* lie (2006)
Tom Slighter Needle 360g, 4* loft, 72* lie (2012, backup)

Wonderful story. It's amazing to encounter real skill at any age.

I remember working in a factory one summer with some college kids from the local football team. An always-angry, full-of-himself fullback started picking on the 60 year old floor sweeper. The old guy wasn't putting up with it and the FB suggested they take it outside. It was over in about 90 seconds. Turns out the old guy had been a pro boxer for 25 years.

He never talked about his past and the regular workers had no idea what he could do; as nice a guy as you'd ever want to meet.

Great story about Chandler Harper and a great story about the old guy sweeping the floor... twice.

We have a family friend who did something similar when he was around 60. Made a few college boys look foolish. Just wish I could have been there to see either.