Swing Caddie SC100

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I recently purchased one off of ebay for about $220, so far I can tell you its pretty accurate. It has three modes - practice, target, random. Target is a pretty cool game, gives you different yardages to hit and gives a point value to it. I know a couple of guys that have compared it to a trackman and it is +/- 2 yards on carry distance compared to the trackman.

[quote name='jflores8' timestamp='1397684000' post='9106685']
I recently purchased one off of ebay for about $220, so far I can tell you its pretty accurate. It has three modes - practice, target, random. Target is a pretty cool game, gives you different yardages to hit and gives a point value to it. I know a couple of guys that have compared it to a trackman and it is +/- 2 yards on carry distance compared to the trackman.
[/quote]

I own one and can confirm my swing caddie was within 1-2 yards when I hit side by side to a trackman. I will tell you ball speed and swing speed was a little off but the end result is nearly spot on. Target is a really fun part of it. Like a lot of ranges there aren't enough greens to tell how far you exactly it a club.

Optiforce 440 9.5* w/ B-Series BlueBoard 60X
913H 18*& 22* w/ iRod 85F4
Ping s55 (4-PW) w/ Recoil 95 Prototype
Engage 50sq, 54sq, 60ds w/ Recoil 110 Prototype
Bettinardi Signature Series 7

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='trumb1mj1' timestamp='1398691520' post='9186111']
One thing about this device is that it's estimating launch angle based on the loft of the club. So if you are playing target golf and controlling distance via trajectory (half wedges and irons) I can't imagine it would still be accurate..? Is this correct?
[/quote]

I was taking half swings (50 yard shots) and it was just as accurate when I had a full swing. I used a bushnell to get the yardage to the pin. Now I didn't actually measure how close they were to the pin but from 50 yards I could tell they were close enough. Worked good enough for me for the money.

Optiforce 440 9.5* w/ B-Series BlueBoard 60X
913H 18*& 22* w/ iRod 85F4
Ping s55 (4-PW) w/ Recoil 95 Prototype
Engage 50sq, 54sq, 60ds w/ Recoil 110 Prototype
Bettinardi Signature Series 7

Since it seems some of you have had a lot of success with this device, maybe I can get some help. I love the device, but the carry distance is very inaccurate for me. I set it up per the instructions, but the device is registering my shots 10 yards shorter than their actual carry distance. I've looked all over but I can't find a solution. Since everyone else seems to be praising the accuracy I can't help but think mine is defective. Pretty much the same result for all clubs. Could it be measuring the divot?

[quote name='Clintola1' timestamp='1398763089' post='9193497']
Since it seems some of you have had a lot of success with this device, maybe I can get some help. I love the device, but the carry distance is very inaccurate for me. I set it up per the instructions, but the device is registering my shots 10 yards shorter than their actual carry distance. I've looked all over but I can't find a solution. Since everyone else seems to be praising the accuracy I can't help but think mine is defective. Pretty much the same result for all clubs. Could it be measuring the divot?
[/quote]

I think if you have a swing fault that causes your dynamic loft to be way different than the number you enter into the device (flipping at it or hands way forward and delofting), the carry numbers would become inaccurate. Do you hit a really high ball or a really low ball?

[quote name='trumb1mj1' timestamp='1398778610' post='9194369']
[/quote]

I think if you have a swing fault that causes your dynamic loft to be way different than the number you enter into the device (flipping at it or hands way forward and delofting), the carry numbers would become inaccurate. Do you hit a really high ball or a really low ball?
[/quote]
I have a medium/high penetrating ball flight. I was under the impression it used Doppler radar for its measurements and it, more or less, got the carry distance from the ball speed. I guess I didn't think the club selection had any more value than for creating statistics with different clubs. I still always indicate the correct club when using the device. So what would a shorter displayed distance than my actual carry distance indicate? If I loft or deloft the club that will affect ball speed and carry distance correct?

[/quote]

Guessing is it due to either the loft of your club (i.e. stronger lofts then programmed in the SC100) or your dynamic loft. I have also read reports that the ball can cause issues, especially range balls that are old and well used. The ball speed, which the device measures, might be "slow".

Are you lasering the balls that shows the 10 yards shorter?

If you are, I would try "new balls" and see the results.

If you are still off, I would contact the mfg of the device. You may have a bad unit or there might be a firmware update available.

Clark

WITB

TM Stealth 2 
Titleist 913FD 13.5
Titleist 913 H 19
Titleist 913 H 24
PXG Gen 1 5-G
Vokey SM8  54, 58

L.A.B. DF3 

Flight limited balls would definitely cause ball speed issues with this device.

[quote name='Clintola1' timestamp='1398789570' post='9195833']
If I loft or deloft the club that will affect ball speed and carry distance correct?
[/quote]

It should not affect ball speed but it will change the trajectory and thus change your carry distance.

[quote name='trumb1mj1' timestamp='1398878618' post='9204495']
Flight limited balls would definitely cause ball speed issues with this device.

[quote name='Clintola1' timestamp='1398789570' post='9195833']
If I loft or deloft the club that will affect ball speed and carry distance correct?
[/quote]

It should not affect ball speed but it will change the trajectory and thus change your carry distance.
[/quote]

Thanks for the help guys. I'll play with it some more and see what I come up with.

I have a Nikon Coolshot AS laser range finder and verified my distances on a grass driving range. I can attest that the SC100 does not calculate correct carry distances with my woods, hybrids, irons, and wedges mainly due to my swing faults. However, it is pretty spot on with the driver for some reason.

Driver: Callaway GBB Epic ('17) or TM M1 ('17)
Woods: Wilson D7 3W, Callaway GBB 20.5 Heavenwood
Irons: Callaway Rogue 5-PW
Wedges: Callaway MD5 48* and PM19 54* 60*
Putter: Evnroll ER2

• 2 weeks later...

I've had it for a few months. My opinions are mixed.

It may well match a trackman within a decent margin of error, and for this reason its a useful tool for practice because it gives a stable and I assume pretty accurate SS. The smash factor helpful as well. I like having it at the range and when I hit into my home net. Its far more stable for SS than my swing speed radar device.

But it has given me ZERO insight into what my stock yardages are for my clubs. I'm a short hitter with a 92-95 driver SS measured by the device. So I know Im short, I get it. But the carry yardages from the wedges on up might be accurate by whatever formula they use, but it is way shorter (10-20yds, even when considering actual vs carry) than what I use on the course for each club, and Im a conservative guy who always takes too much club anyway - not delusional about my distances.

So whatever distance it is giving me, its just too much math and other variables to sort out what my real stock distance is. Is it the range balls, elevation, wind, temperature etc etc.

Bottom line, its a lot like the driving range itself - great for working on hitting ball better, but not for really judging distances. Useful for working on your swing, and it will help you differentiate between your good swings and bad with additional feedback that SS and smash provides.

But as for sorting out what club to hit with 155 yds from light rough, downhill, wind working a bit against you, well it all comes back to your experience on the course over time and making good mental or actual notes to make the best decision. This device has not helped me at all in that regard.

• 2 weeks later...

Gotcha. I actually picked one up with hopes of dialing in my wedge game mostly. However, I can't get the dang thing to work at all with my wedges. It literally does not give any value at all. I found it works for eight iron down. I even tried backing it up and moving it forward In relation to the ball. Still no results. Any advice? Also, where do you see smash factor? Mine only shows swing speed yardage and ball speed.

Two points...

If it isn't seeing the ball or club, move the device until it does. I haven't had many issues with mine registering shots. You might have a bad unit.

One thing I think is the most valuable thing about the device using it to build consistency in my wedge game.

I don't carry standard loft wedges (I carry 50,54,58). I believe the lofts programmed into the device are 48, 52,56, so my distances are off.

What I do however is try to build consistent swing speed/yardages when practicing. Using the Pelz method of three swings, this gives me a good feel for results.

On the course or range, I replicate that swing speed and measure the yardage. Knowing that has tightened up my short game.

I can tell you my ,sat four or five rounds have been two or three shots lower do to have short, makable putts.

Clark

WITB

TM Stealth 2 
Titleist 913FD 13.5
Titleist 913 H 19
Titleist 913 H 24
PXG Gen 1 5-G
Vokey SM8  54, 58

L.A.B. DF3 

My unsolicited opinion:

To understand the device's limitations it is helpful to understand what it is actually doing.

The SC100 measures your club head speed as you swing through impact and it measures the ball speed (not launch angle) as it rockets off the club! There are no angular or spin measurements recorded.

Smash factor is calculated by comparing the club head speed with the initial ball speed.

As far as old range balls affecting the numbers, I recall reading a research paper (sorry - I don't have a citation) that indicated that newer balls will have pretty consistent flight characteristics while older range balls vary widely. Some will fly farther than normal, more will fly shorter, but most will be comparable and over time the statistics will normalize, so I consider this a non-issue in the long run. I generally pull out the nicest looking balls for full shots and long clubs and use the tattered balls for sand bunker practice any way!

Since the device only measures speed, carry distance is an estimate based on the ball speed and the static lofts that are programmed into the machine. It is unfortunate that the manufacturer did not include a feature to edit the programmed lofts, but perhaps that will be available with the next version. In addition to the potential for your club lofts to vary from the default lofts, the club loft will vary from the dynamic loft created at impact due to your angle of attack. So... if you want to use the unit to estimate actual carry distances I would suggest comparing its estimates to actual measurements as previously mentioned. If you have particularly strong lofted clubs (as many of us do...) or you have a swing that significantly changes the loft of your club (aggressive shaft lean or an early release with club head passing hands before impact), you may find it helpful to select the club that most closely matches your actual carry distance. In essence, you may end up having to do a mental conversion. For example, "I'm hitting my seven iron, so I'll select the six iron on the SC100," or "I'm hitting my five iron, so I'll use the seven iron setting on the Swing Caddy."

I just purchased a unit on Ebay and should receive it next week. I plan to test my theories and report back!

Thanks for the thread. It helped me make up my mind to give the Swing Caddy a try.

Fairways & greens...

Mike in Southern Wisconsin

For $210-$215 it is as accurate as your going to get IMO. Just set it drivers length +6" (approximately 50") and I have been getting ideal readings. Only time I get misreads is when I hit it then thin or chunk it. Is it a trackman absolutely not, but for me its been pretty accurate. Its confirmed that my 7 irons is my 150-155 carry club.

• 6 months later...

Well pretty disapointed at the moment. I ordered a "new" SC100 off of an ebay dealer, and the unit that showed up had scuffs and scratches on the entire screen like it had been stuck in a golf bag for a season or so. The bag that housed the remote had scotch taper over the sticky flap that normally keeps it sealed. The vendor says he only buys from the factory, and doesn't sell anything but new, but also doesn't keep track of any serial numbers. The good deal that I got just went up in smoke, as I now have to figure out what to do, RMA, and ship back from Canada, exchange?

Also, if I set it to PW, and take little half swings in my basement with a golf ball sized tennis ball shouldn't it still pick something up? I can't get it to read anything...

Any advice?

Cobra LTD HZRDUS 75g 6.5 (Synergy Black 70TX tipped 1/2")
Ping 2014 Rapture 3W - Blueboard 73x5ct
Cobra F8 3 hybrid (HZRDUS Black 85 6.5)
4 Hybrid...
Srixon Z545 5-AW (SF i110 stiff)
RTX 3.0 - 54 and 58 (SF i125 stiff)
Ping Ketsch Mid 

• 1 month later...

[quote name='MrFlapjack' timestamp='1418413400' post='10584455']
Well pretty disapointed at the moment. I ordered a "new" SC100 off of an ebay dealer, and the unit that showed up had scuffs and scratches on the entire screen like it had been stuck in a golf bag for a season or so. The bag that housed the remote had scotch taper over the sticky flap that normally keeps it sealed. The vendor says he only buys from the factory, and doesn't sell anything but new, but also doesn't keep track of any serial numbers. The good deal that I got just went up in smoke, as I now have to figure out what to do, RMA, and ship back from Canada, exchange?

Also, if I set it to PW, and take little half swings in my basement with a golf ball sized tennis ball shouldn't it still pick something up? I can't get it to read anything...

Any advice?
[/quote]

Old topic, I know, but looking to grab one of these cheap on eBay for my brother. Who was the seller you dealt with? If easier you can PM me. Thanks

I purchased one a couple of months ago and find the practice to be a fun game to break up range practice.
IMO the major downside is the inability to read spin, IE the device assumes perfect contact so if i hit a fade w/ driver it reads 280 say, when the shot is actually 260 or draw 290.
It can however, help you develop your accurate yardages through the bag if you are capable of estimating +/- yardage in comparing the data you receive from the device with the shot you see.
For me anyhow... I can assume if the device is reading a perfectly struck 7 iron at 170, but i hit a fade it is going to be approx 165, if it is a draw, approx 175.
Not perfect, but it is productive data in helping you get close.
Not at all helpful in developing changes in your swing.
Pretty good for the $ but needs a spin ratio data reading.

Callaway X2Hot 9.5*, pro 15*, deep 18.5* (Motore Speeder vc 6.2 X)
MPH4 3 -4
MP4 5-pw
Vokey 54*,58*
scotty del mar

Will the SC100 be able to measure my SS (and actually give me a result) if I am not hitting to a ball but just 'through the air'? Very thankful if an owner would try out this for me (I actually dont even know if ie Trackman or Flightscope would give you the SS in such case).

I am considering purchasing a swing speed radar but might go this way instead.

Thanks

/Henke

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='henkedejk' timestamp='1422129815' post='10810655']
Will the SC100 be able to measure my SS (and actually give me a result) if I am not hitting to a ball but just 'through the air'? Very thankful if an owner would try out this for me (I actually dont even know if ie Trackman or Flightscope would give you the SS in such case).

I am considering purchasing a swing speed radar but might go this way instead.

Thanks

/Henke
[/quote]

NO SS with out hitting a ball, it is measured based on the feedback it receives from contact.

Callaway X2Hot 9.5*, pro 15*, deep 18.5* (Motore Speeder vc 6.2 X)
MPH4 3 -4
MP4 5-pw
Vokey 54*,58*
scotty del mar

Is there anywhere online to determine what the "pre-determined" lofts are for each club? Then you could factor that into the results you get for each club. I love it and have found the yadages on some clubs are within 1-2 of what I get on a Trackman and what I shoot with my Leupold GX-4i.

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max 9* Fujikura Atmos Tour Spec 7X
Big Bertha 3WD 15* / Anser Hybrid 20*
SLDR 4-PW KBS Tour C-Taper 90 Stiff
Cleveland RTX ZIPCORE 50*, 54*, 58*
Bettinardi INOVAI 6.0 35"
Titleist Pro V1X Left Dash

• 4 months later...

[quote name='isaacward44' timestamp='1423428893' post='10912521']
Is there anywhere online to determine what the "pre-determined" lofts are for each club? Then you could factor that into the results you get for each club. I love it and have found the yadages on some clubs are within 1-2 of what I get on a Trackman and what I shoot with my Leupold GX-4i.
[/quote]

I called Voice Caddy to confirm the SC100 preset club lofts as stated below. I originally found this information on the link below** and have added a little () and summarized it.
[i][size=3] ** Per information from "Hazen" comments on: http://www.mygolfspy.com/swing-caddie-launch-monitor-review/[/size][/i]

[color=#111111]The Voice Caddy SC100 uses the following variables to calculate carry distance:[/color]
[color=#111111] 1. Player swing speed[/color]
[color=#111111] 2. Ball speed[/color]
[color=#111111] 3. Club head loft (preset/static)[/color]
[color=#111111] 4. Launch angle. (*replied asking if this was preset too, or if the SC100 actually measured the launch angle, I will add their reply if I get one)[/color]

Voice Caddy SC100 - preset (static) lofts:

Woods
----------
W1 9.5°
W3 17°
W4 19°
W5 21°
W6 22°
W7 24°

Hybrids
----------
U3 18°
U4 20°
U5 22°
U6 24°
U7 26°

Irons
----------
i3 20°
i4 23°
i5 26°
i6 29°
i7 35°
i8 37°
i9 41°

Wedges
----------
PW 47°
AW 53°
SW 60°

* Lofts [color=#111111]cannot be changed. My personal (Voice Caddy support) recommendation would be to set the device one club up to compensate for the (differences in your) loft. [/color][color=#111111]Our newest model, the SC200 (scheduled release late spring/early summer) does have the option to change loft angles per club (voice to announce the yardages and more sensors).[/color]

Amazon had the white one at $139 for a couple days and I think its worth @ that much but is overpriced at $180.

I've used it for a number of range sessions and its been great to work on dialing back my swing speed as well as watch the smash factor with the irons. Being able to set the lofts would be a great addition.

Unfortunately in this price range you'll never find something that can also read launch angle as well as ballspin - for that your into "real" launch monitor territory. But as far as being a good practice aid, I like having it in the bag.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Callaway '21 X Forged CBs 5-P annnnd incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash