2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Golf - MD in KC

I am wanting to do a fitting at Golf - MD in Kansas City. I was wondering if anyone has been there before and if it is a good choice. Any input would be appreciated. After reading Duffners Waggle's post I am very interested in a fitting. That is about the closest thing around where I live and will still be a 3-4 hour drive one way, so looking for some information before I commit that kind of time and money. Thanks!

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've done fittings at both Golf MD and Robin Nigro. The staff at both places are very knowledgable, so it comes down to what kind of fitting experience you are seeking. If you want to test a variety of the major manufacturers offerings in an outdoor setting, then Robin Nigro is the choice. If you are interested in Wishon, KZG, or Callaway, and you are OK with an indoor fitting, then Golf MD is a solid choice.

I'm a big fan of Mike at Golf MD...I've gone through a fitting at both and they're a very different experience. Nigro has everything, but they're very "brand neutral", which is good and bad...it's good because you can hit everything, but it's bad because a lot of gear that works in the fitting gets botched in assembly. The outdoor range is great...

Mike at Golf MD only stocks shafts that he believes in because he has to build the clubs. He has plenty of lines and can fit anyone, but will not put you in something he can't fully stand behind. I know he has Adams, Callaway, Wishon, Muira in stock as components, but he can order anything else. Plus, for better players, the dude is an absolute ninja as far as making tweaks to clubs you already own (be it reshafting or just weighting them properly). I can't recommend him enough...just book an appointment before you get there as he's pretty busy.

I was fit by him last week...probably the third time in the last six years. He had shafts in a ton of weights (every wood shaft he has in every weight/flex) and all the logical iron shafts (all the kbs, dg, steelfiber, matrix, etc).

He has longer and shorter shafts, but not everything in every length...he takes a static measurement of length as a baseline and work backwards from there to determine length. FWIW, i'm plus 1/2", didn't have any trouble with all the test shafts being standard. Just makes a 6 iron feel like a 7.

Golf MD is the best place in kc area to get fit IMHO. Robin nigros, not so much. I've been "fit" there twice and each time I had a horrible experience and each time left very disappointed. If you want a boutique brand, golf MD is the place to go, if you want oem brands, then Robin Nigros is the place to go.

Changing...

[quote name='High Draw' timestamp='1406516592' post='9798767']
Thanks for the reply. What was your experience with golf md like? Were you fit there?
[/quote]yes and had numerous trips there. I know the old Co owner, he retired last year. Mikes a good dude and won't just take your money.

A few years ago when I started golfing I went in to get a new driver he told me to bring my old driver and we tested it against the one I was being fit for and he told me not to bother because I was getting ideal #'S with my current swing (I was a relative beginner, less than a year of golf) and instead he gave me an impromptu lesson (they offer those also) and it literally saved my season.

Fast forward 3 years and I got into clubbuilding and have a Wishon acct, so I don't go there near as much but I've gone in for spare weights, shafts, etc and they're always helpful. They also do edel fittings there and I lust after a edel putter one day.

Changing...

[quote name='runpuddrun' timestamp='1406522357' post='9799177'][quote name='High Draw' timestamp='1406516592' post='9798767']
Thanks for the reply. What was your experience with golf md like? Were you fit there?
[/quote]yes and had numerous trips there. I know the old Co owner, he retired last year. Mikes a good dude and won't just take your money.

A few years ago when I started golfing I went in to get a new driver he told me to bring my old driver and we tested it against the one I was being fit for and he told me not to bother because I was getting ideal #'S with my current swing (I was a relative beginner, less than a year of golf) and instead he gave me an impromptu lesson (they offer those also) and it literally saved my season.

Fast forward 3 years and I got into clubbuilding and have a Wishon acct, so I don't go there near as much but I've gone in for spare weights, shafts, etc and they're always helpful. They also do edel fittings there and I lust after a edel putter one day.[/quote]

Thanks runpuddrun. It sounds like Golf MD with Mike Dickerson is definitely the way to go. I will be calling and making an appointment. If anyone else has been there, please share your experience!

[quote name='High Draw' timestamp='1406491421' post='9796211']
Thanks for the write up 80! Care to comment on the recommendations or anything you purchased? I'm sure you went in with an open mind, but anything that surprised you or changed differently than the last fitting? What's your swing speed, transition, distance? Thanks again for all the information!
[/quote]

I wouldn't recommend everything, because that's how I got messed up in the first place. I went in knowing a couple things--1. I have terrible tendinitis, so I'm stuck in Steelfiber land. I knew I was going to order some AP2s from my pro shop (I told Mike this before we started) and I knew I was fighting my driver badly.

He took the time to figure out that my iron shafts weren't too light (which was my assumption), but too soft. After testing bunch of different stuff, we realized I needed to hard step my i95s in my new irons 1x (my current irons were soft-stepped 1x). He also suggested the CW shafts, which have a higher balance point than my current 95s.

The crazy stuff started happening when we got into driver/hybrid shafts. I'm not a high ss guy (I top out his machine at 105), but am very quick. I though we would have ended up with a heavier, stiff-flexed shaft. Ended up with a 60 gram flex in X (accra cs1--put a review up on this forum if you want to search). My handicap, which had jumped from the high 3s to the low 6s, has already dropped 1.5 points since I put the new driver in the bag. Can't wait to see what happens when I get the 3 wood, hybrid, and new irons going...

Long story short, I would have never ended up where I ended up without the fitting. That's why I can't recommend Mike enough...

Golf MD is a great option for fitting. I had a driver fitting done there and they were fantastic - great range of shaft options, and price points. Overall it was a great experience and I would highly recommend their services!

[quote name='High Draw' timestamp='1406378627' post='9789385']
I am wanting to do a fitting at Golf - MD in Kansas City. I was wondering if anyone has been there before and if it is a good choice. Any input would be appreciated. After reading Duffners Waggle's post I am very interested in a fitting. That is about the closest thing around where I live and will still be a 3-4 hour drive one way, so looking for some information before I commit that kind of time and money. Thanks!
[/quote]

Another vote here for Mike at Golf MD. He's a great guy and very knowledgable. I am tall and Mike is tall also so he is very familiar with the "things" that tall golfers fight in their swings. I have taken some lessons from him with very positive results. He and his staff have also done a significant amount of club work for me over the years. If you choose to go to Golf MD I think you will be satisfied.

Taylormade  M Gloire Driver JDM 11.5*  - Speeder Evolution SR

Taylormade  M Gloire Fairway JDM 15* - Speeder Evolution SR

Daiwa ONOFF ARMS AKA Fairway JDM 21* - Daiwa MP-520F SR

Taylormade  Gloire U4(20*) & U5(23*) Utility Irons JDM - NIppon 950GH S

Callaway  Epic Max Fast Forged JDM 7 - AW - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Max Star JDM GW 48* - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Forged Star JDM SW 55* - Nippon 950GH S

Mizuno  Tour Chipper 25*

Kasco  Red 9/9 Model 18 JDM Putter 

[quote name='Another80' timestamp='1406569021' post='9802221'][quote name='High Draw' timestamp='1406491421' post='9796211']
Thanks for the write up 80! Care to comment on the recommendations or anything you purchased? I'm sure you went in with an open mind, but anything that surprised you or changed differently than the last fitting? What's your swing speed, transition, distance? Thanks again for all the information!
[/quote]

I wouldn't recommend everything, because that's how I got messed up in the first place. I went in knowing a couple things--1. I have terrible tendinitis, so I'm stuck in Steelfiber land. I knew I was going to order some AP2s from my pro shop (I told Mike this before we started) and I knew I was fighting my driver badly.

He took the time to figure out that my iron shafts weren't too light (which was my assumption), but too soft. After testing bunch of different stuff, we realized I needed to hard step my i95s in my new irons 1x (my current irons were soft-stepped 1x). He also suggested the CW shafts, which have a higher balance point than my current 95s.

The crazy stuff started happening when we got into driver/hybrid shafts. I'm not a high ss guy (I top out his machine at 105), but am very quick. I though we would have ended up with a heavier, stiff-flexed shaft. Ended up with a 60 gram flex in X (accra cs1--put a review up on this forum if you want to search). My handicap, which had jumped from the high 3s to the low 6s, has already dropped 1.5 points since I put the new driver in the bag. Can't wait to see what happens when I get the 3 wood, hybrid, and new irons going...

Long story short, I would have never ended up where I ended up without the fitting. That's why I can't recommend Mike enough...[/quote]

Thanks 80! Really appreciate your time and write up. I called for an appointment with Mike, but they are closed on Monday's. Thanks again!

[quote name='noaces06' timestamp='1406571089' post='9802565']Golf MD is a great option for fitting. I had a driver fitting done there and they were fantastic - great range of shaft options, and price points. Overall it was a great experience and I would highly recommend their services!

[quote name='High Draw' timestamp='1406378627' post='9789385']
[/quote][/quote]

Thanks aces! What were you fit into for a driver?

[quote name='alittleoverpar' timestamp='1406572723' post='9802755']Another vote here for Mike at Golf MD. He's a great guy and very knowledgable. I am tall and Mike is tall also so he is very familiar with the "things" that tall golfers fight in their swings. I have taken some lessons from him with very positive results. He and his staff have also done a significant amount of club work for me over the years. If you choose to go to Golf MD I think you will be satisfied.[/quote]

Thanks a lot for your review. I definitely think Mike is the way to go. I plan on calling tomorrow to set up a fitting. I noticed that your signature has all callaway clubs. Were you fit for that set there and if so how did it go? Thanks again!

You can’t go wrong with Mike and his staff. Like others have said his knowledge and ability in club making is second to none in the KC area. I did a full bag overhaul last September and I could not be happier with what Mike did. What I was most impressed with was the customer service. He went above and beyond with helping me find the correct combo in my driver. This was my first dealing with Golf MD and Mike but it will not be my last, I will now be a lifelong customer of Mike.

[quote name='Swopes30' timestamp='1406640445' post='9808735']You can’t go wrong with Mike and his staff. Like others have said his knowledge and ability in club making is second to none in the KC area. I did a full bag overhaul last September and I could not be happier with what Mike did. What I was most impressed with was the customer service. He went above and beyond with helping me find the correct combo in my driver. This was my first dealing with Golf MD and Mike but it will not be my last, I will now be a lifelong customer of Mike.[/quote]

That sounds great Swopes30! Can you elaborate on more on your fitting and what your set make up is now? Thanks for all of your info!

Mike is a great club fitter/builder and even better guy. He does all of my club work.

TI Taylormade SIM (9.0°) Tensei CK Pro Orange 70TX
TI Taylormade SIM Ti (15.4°) Tensei CK Pro Blue 80X
Callaway XR Pro (20°) Diamana White 90X
PING i210 (4i-UW) DG X100
Ping Glide 2.0 (54°) DG S400 TI
Artisan MT Grind (58°) DG S400
Taylormade Spider X Chalk SS

Taylormade TP5

Another thumbs up for Mike, he is great at finding the right shafts and getting your lie angle correct. If you can afford a high end set of JDM clubs he is the place to go for sure, lot's of pretty Miuras and Vegas hanging around the shop.

Ping G400 Testing G410.  10.5 set at small -
Ping G410 3, 5 and 7 wood

Ping G410 5 hybrid-not much use.  
Mizuno JPX 921 Hot Metal. 5-G
Vokey 54.10, 2009 58.12 M, Testing TM MG2 60* TW grind and MG3 56* TW grind.  Or Ping Glide Stealth, 54,58 SS.  
Odyssey Pro #1 black
Hoofer, Ecco, Bushnell
ProV1x-mostly

[quote name='High Draw' timestamp='1406589266' post='9804761']
[quote name='alittleoverpar' timestamp='1406572723' post='9802755']Another vote here for Mike at Golf MD. He's a great guy and very knowledgable. I am tall and Mike is tall also so he is very familiar with the "things" that tall golfers fight in their swings. I have taken some lessons from him with very positive results. He and his staff have also done a significant amount of club work for me over the years. If you choose to go to Golf MD I think you will be satisfied.[/quote]

Thanks a lot for your review. I definitely think Mike is the way to go. I plan on calling tomorrow to set up a fitting. I noticed that your signature has all callaway clubs. Were you fit for that set there and if so how did it go? Thanks again!
[/quote]

I actually wasn't fit for the particular irons I am using now directly. I had been fit for another Callaway set at Golf MD previously and happened to find the irons I am using now with identical specifications online.

Taylormade  M Gloire Driver JDM 11.5*  - Speeder Evolution SR

Taylormade  M Gloire Fairway JDM 15* - Speeder Evolution SR

Daiwa ONOFF ARMS AKA Fairway JDM 21* - Daiwa MP-520F SR

Taylormade  Gloire U4(20*) & U5(23*) Utility Irons JDM - NIppon 950GH S

Callaway  Epic Max Fast Forged JDM 7 - AW - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Max Star JDM GW 48* - Nippon 950GH Neo S

Callaway  Epic Forged Star JDM SW 55* - Nippon 950GH S

Mizuno  Tour Chipper 25*

Kasco  Red 9/9 Model 18 JDM Putter 

Thanks for the feedback. I was wondering if I need to bring the ball that I use for the fitting or if Mike has everything there. Also can you please share how your fitting went and the process that got you to your recommendation? I am really looking forward to the fitting and am trying to think of everything that I can before I get there. Anything else that you guys recommend that I do?