Orlando Dec trip

Hey all,

Going to be in Orlando area 12/2-8. I have researched courses based on reviews on all the golf sites and golfnow.com.

Some reviews I trust while other reviews are over a year old.

I can get in probably 8 rounds total.

Here were some of my choices:

Crooked Cat

Panther Lake

Bella Collina

Shingle Creek

Eagle Creek

Falcon's Fire

Mission Inn

Celebration

I would like to keep it $80 and under per round.

Any suggestions with above list or additions?

Thanks

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='RNgolfer' timestamp='1416299808' post='10465427']
Hey all,
Going to be in Orlando area 12/2-8. I have researched courses based on reviews on all the golf sites and golfnow.com.

Crooked Cat
Panther Lake
Bella Collina
Shingle Creek
Eagle Creek
Falcon's Fire
Mission Inn
Celebration

Thanks
[/quote]

It's going to be difficult to get a round for under $80 at Shingle Creek and Bella Collina. I really like Shingle Creek. Good course with a good staff and is usually in superb condition. It's also got a great location in the middle of the city, but not a lot of traffic to deal with. I'm not as fond of Bella Collina. It does have a gorgeous $60 million clubhouse. That area is unlike most of Florida as it is extremely hilly. I don't think the course is bad, but I would only want to play it about once a year and at a good price.

Panther Lake is excellent and head and shoulders better than Crooked Cat. Both courses are going to be in good shape. Crooked Cat is much easier. I would recommend playing Crooked Cat early on in the vacation to help build your confidence a bit. You should be able to get those under $80 no problem.

Eagle Creek is really good as well and no problem with getting that under $80. You may get a little bored with the front nine there, but the back nine is very good.

I like Falcon's Fire although the pace of place is sometimes an issue. That and they have helicopter rides that fly over about every 5 minutes. But the course and the conditioning and staff are usually great.

If you play Mission Inn, you want to play the El Campeon course. It was designed in 1917 by George O'Neill. It's an old school course design and is near Bella Collina which again is the hilly section of Florida. I wouldn't bother with Las Colinas course.

I would watch out with Celebration because the last 2 times I went there the service was poor. I'm not a big fan of the front nine either, but like the back nine. Just make sure if you play there that your cart is included with it and that your tee time is verified since they tend to struggle with those things. I would recommend these other courses around the area that are under $80.

[b]World Woods (Pine Barrens)[/b] - This is about an hour away, but I would be foolish not to mention it to you because it is well worth the trip. It is a Fazio design that is a 'tribute' to Pine Valley.

[b]Golf Club at Eaglebrooke[/b] - This is actually in Lakeland and about 45 minutes away. But, it's an easy drive and a spectacular course that will go for well under $80. The back nine is fantastic and you shouldn't have a problem with pace of play.

[b]Grand Pines - [/b]This is down by Sea World. It's a great design and has been in fantastic condition. Unfortunately, it closes down in March because they are building time shares over it.

[b]Grand Cypress (new course) -[/b] It's a links design course that is usually in great shape. Very different course, but usually very fun to play.

[b]Metrowest [/b]- This is just west of the Amway Center. It's a Robert Trent Jones design and he made a good one here. They shut down the course last year for renovations and installed new greens and re-did the bunkers and it enhanced the design even more.

[b]Mystic Dunes [/b]- they supposedly lost their greens earlier this year, but got them back as I played there a few weeks ago and they were fine. This is more of an exotic design than a classic design. The craziest green designs are at Mystic Dunes. As long as you don't expect to shoot below par, this can be a fun course.

[b]Rio Pinar - [/b]This is where they used to hold the old PGA Tour event the Citrus Open. It was built in 1957 and is one of my favorite designs and they recently renovated the course with new greens and re-did the bunkers. The only issue is if it has been raining in Orlando recently, the course does not drain well. If it has been dry in the area recently, then this course is usually a hidden gem.

[b]Southern Dunes - [/b]You have to go on their Web site for tee times as it is not on GolfNow. This is generally one of my favorite courses in the area and it is located about 15 minutes south of Disney.

I assume you're playing for 7 days, I would recommend these as my top-7 that are in the area (that may be under $80):

1. World Woods - Pine Barrens
2. Golf Club at Eaglebrooke
3. Southern Dunes
4. Orange County National - Panther Lake
5. Mission Inn Resort - El Campeon
6. Shingle Creek
7. Grande Pines

RH

[quote name='RichieHunt' timestamp='1416322717' post='10466119']
Hey all,

Crooked Cat
Panther Lake
Bella Collina
Shingle Creek
Eagle Creek
Falcon's Fire
Mission Inn
Celebration

Thanks
[/quote]

It's going to be difficult to get a round for under $80 at Shingle Creek and Bella Collina. I really like Shingle Creek. Good course with a good staff and is usually in superb condition. It's also got a great location in the middle of the city, but not a lot of traffic to deal with. I'm not as fond of Bella Collina. It does have a gorgeous $60 million clubhouse. That area is unlike most of Florida as it is extremely hilly. I don't think the course is bad, but I would only want to play it about once a year and at a good price.

Panther Lake is excellent and head and shoulders better than Crooked Cat. Both courses are going to be in good shape. Crooked Cat is much easier. I would recommend playing Crooked Cat early on in the vacation to help build your confidence a bit. You should be able to get those under $80 no problem.

Eagle Creek is really good as well and no problem with getting that under $80. You may get a little bored with the front nine there, but the back nine is very good.

I like Falcon's Fire although the pace of place is sometimes an issue. That and they have helicopter rides that fly over about every 5 minutes. But the course and the conditioning and staff are usually great.

If you play Mission Inn, you want to play the El Campeon course. It was designed in 1917 by George O'Neill. It's an old school course design and is near Bella Collina which again is the hilly section of Florida. I wouldn't bother with Las Colinas course.

I would watch out with Celebration because the last 2 times I went there the service was poor. I'm not a big fan of the front nine either, but like the back nine. Just make sure if you play there that your cart is included with it and that your tee time is verified since they tend to struggle with those things. I would recommend these other courses around the area that are under $80.

[b]World Woods (Pine Barrens)[/b] - This is about an hour away, but I would be foolish not to mention it to you because it is well worth the trip. It is a Fazio design that is a 'tribute' to Pine Valley.

[b]Golf Club at Eaglebrooke[/b] - This is actually in Lakeland and about 45 minutes away. But, it's an easy drive and a spectacular course that will go for well under $80. The back nine is fantastic and you shouldn't have a problem with pace of play.

[b]Grand Pines - [/b]This is down by Sea World. It's a great design and has been in fantastic condition. Unfortunately, it closes down in March because they are building time shares over it.

[b]Grand Cypress (new course) -[/b] It's a links design course that is usually in great shape. Very different course, but usually very fun to play.

[b]Metrowest [/b]- This is just west of the Amway Center. It's a Robert Trent Jones design and he made a good one here. They shut down the course last year for renovations and installed new greens and re-did the bunkers and it enhanced the design even more.

[b]Mystic Dunes [/b]- they supposedly lost their greens earlier this year, but got them back as I played there a few weeks ago and they were fine. This is more of an exotic design than a classic design. The craziest green designs are at Mystic Dunes. As long as you don't expect to shoot below par, this can be a fun course.

[b]Rio Pinar - [/b]This is where they used to hold the old PGA Tour event the Citrus Open. It was built in 1957 and is one of my favorite designs and they recently renovated the course with new greens and re-did the bunkers. The only issue is if it has been raining in Orlando recently, the course does not drain well. If it has been dry in the area recently, then this course is usually a hidden gem.

[b]Southern Dunes - [/b]You have to go on their Web site for tee times as it is not on GolfNow. This is generally one of my favorite courses in the area and it is located about 15 minutes south of Disney.

I assume you're playing for 7 days, I would recommend these as my top-7 that are in the area (that may be under $80):

1. World Woods - Pine Barrens
2. Golf Club at Eaglebrooke
3. Southern Dunes
4. Orange County National - Panther Lake
5. Mission Inn Resort - El Campeon
6. Shingle Creek
7. Grande Pines

RH
[/quote]

Thank you very much for the great detail on all tracks and your own suggestions. I am counting down the days till I get to leave and like you suggested I'll play Crooked Cat early to shake some rust off my game.

[quote name='HitTheStick' timestamp='1416449342' post='10475697']
Richie's got you pointed in the right direction here for sure, I'd simply add that Mission Inn is unlike anything else in the area and is definitely worth a play. Every time I play El Campeon I'm left wanting more..
[/quote]
When you say like anything else can you elaborate?
Also glad to have some Florida guys giving me the best courses/advice

Hey all,

Crooked Cat
Panther Lake
Bella Collina
Shingle Creek
Eagle Creek
Falcon's Fire
Mission Inn
Celebration

Thanks
[/quote]

Falcons Fire and Orange National are both great choices.

[quote name='liamandskylar' timestamp='1416596047' post='10484099']
Hey all,

Crooked Cat
Panther Lake
Bella Collina
Shingle Creek
Eagle Creek
Falcon's Fire
Mission Inn
Celebration

Thanks
[/quote]

Falcons Fire and Orange National are both great choices.
[/quote]
Thank you very much, when I get in Tuesday I'll be picking up my clubs from Orange County National ( I used shipsticks ). I'll probably just use the range to knock the rust off and start with the suggestions on Wednesday. I'll probably try to group courses close together with the lack of daylight and such.