Restoration value: SC Custom Shop vs BOS

bbpak213

This is my first post so forgive me if a similar thread already exists.

I have a Scotty Cameron Del Mar 3.5 "Inspired by Sergio Garcia" that I hope can be restored. Pretty rough shape IMO especially along the topline. But if someone is willing to revive this... is it worthwhile to spend money with Scotty Cameron Custom Shop and get CoA... or just go with another vendor like BOS or PutterLounge? Bottom line: how much value is lost for not getting scotty's restored by scotty?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Both places do excellent work.

Value gained or lost really only means something if you're looking to sell it. Personally I don't see the point of COA's on OTR's and Limited's.

If it were me I'd go BOS. They do great work, quicker turnaround time, and will be much cheaper that the CS. Their prices are insane. I know restoration comes with headcover, grip and a fancy yellow box but yikes.

No real increase in value after a visit to Scottys Spa, most likely under water with this model after all is said and done. Get a quote from several services that post here and support the forum. Here is a link to a very nice and affordable 3.5 that is not IBSG:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Titleist-Scotty-Cameron-Del-Mar-3-5-Black-Putter-Golf-Club-Steel-Shaft-Pistol-Gr-/321639591263?pt=Golf_Clubs&hash=item4ae336ad5f

you can go either way with that one since its Pro platinum and that is a finish scotty still offers.... But if you send it to BOS etc I wouldn't tell anyone it was restored if you send it in for COA later..As I understand it letting someone else work on it will automatically give it a B rating at best. That being said I would send it to BOS if I wanted the best job possible..and it probably cheaper to boot.

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Ping Glide forged 53 59 AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Depends on what you want to do with it.
If you want to game it, I'd get it restored by BOS or someone else here that does good work for a fair price.
If you want to sell it, keep in mind that most Cameron collectors don't want a putter that has been restored by someone other than Scotty. But then again, most true collectors don't want a putter that has been restored period.
Scotty still offers the Pro Platinum finish. You also get a new shaft, grip, headcover, and shaftband when you go through Cameron. However, it won't be the original Sergio Garcia headcover that this putter came with, nor will it be the original style shaftband. You can order one of the cool headcovers and grips from the Custom Shop and sell them separately to offset your cost. A lot of people do that.

Good luck.

[quote name='bladehunter' timestamp='1421154579' post='10738205']
you can go either way with that one since its Pro platinum and that is a finish scotty still offers.... [b]But if you send it to BOS etc I wouldn't tell anyone it was restored[/b] if you send it in for COA later..As I understand it letting someone else work on it will automatically give it a B rating at best. That being said I would send it to BOS if I wanted the best job possible..and it probably cheaper to boot.
[/quote]

That is shady as f*** J.

If you are going to have work done on it that isn't done by the CS you had better be offering that info up with full disclosure if you're trying to do anything with a putter after the fact.

[quote name='cdnrockies' timestamp='1421174272' post='10740039']
you can go either way with that one since its Pro platinum and that is a finish scotty still offers.... [b]But if you send it to BOS etc I wouldn't tell anyone it was restored[/b] if you send it in for COA later..As I understand it letting someone else work on it will automatically give it a B rating at best. That being said I would send it to BOS if I wanted the best job possible..and it probably cheaper to boot.
[/quote]

That is shady as f*** J.

If you are going to have work done on it that isn't done by the CS you had better be offering that info up with full disclosure if you're trying to do anything with a putter after the fact.
[/quote]

Agree.

I think the face milling and the finish would give it away though. They would be different from what the Custom SHop offers.
But excellent point. People should be honest about the history of their putters, especially when selling.

[quote name='T-MAC' timestamp='1421179457' post='10740619']
[/quote]

That is shady as f*** J.

[/quote]

Agree.

[b]I think the face milling and the finish would give it away though. They would be different from what the Custom Shop offers[/b].

But excellent point. People should be honest about the history of their putters, especially when selling.
[/quote]

T, I know that you would be able to identify that quite readily, but the vast majority of putter buyers wouldn't be able to differentiate the milling patterns as being different. I know that I would still need to ask the experts if I had any doubt. ;)

[/quote]

That is shady as f*** J.

[/quote]

lol don't get all worked up now...To clarify I meant for your own personal use... I have made no mystery about my dislike for the custom shops rules. You literally have to settle for a sub par restoration on any putter except pro platinum when sending one in to the custom shop. I would never recommend someone sell a putter as "new" when in fact it was a restoration. That Is NOT what I said!!

But look at it this way.... would you rather buy putter A or B? (assuming you want a correct putter and aren't forking out the $ for new)

putter A is a original oilcan catalina 2 ....It has original face milling in place and no huge dents ,but shows rust all over sole from use. It is sent to BOS for a restoration including correct finish and paintfill. Original milling intact. Obviously a restoration as it will surely loose some miling on body and cavity from work etc. No stps or modifications are added, end result is an original restoration as close as possible to new.

Putter B is also an original Oilcan Catalina 2...It is sent to the custom shop... Custom shop cant do a oilcan finish so you can choose between 3 non original finishes. each requiring the addition of a custom shop stamp to the putter. Next they will add a new shaft and current Cameron grip automatically. What you end up with is a hodgepodge of new and old parts with a permanent stamp added to notate the finish change.

Now im not against custom in any way..I own several, BUT the flaw in the slaw is that putter A while being 100% correct will be able to receive a COA grade of B at max as I understand it....simply because Cameron did not preform the work. even though the original finish supplier did . Putter B while being as incorrect as possible will receive an A rating .
As a collector this makes no sense to me. I simply was trying to give the OP the heads up that if BOS touched it Cameron would disown it. I guess I should have explained my thoughts more thoroughly. That being said BOS has my 33/350 oilcan now and im perfectly happy without any paper work to go with her... she isn't for sale anyway.

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Thanks cdnrockies for reminding everyone to be honest and honorable.

Thanks bladehunter for explaining.. learning a lot.

i think that these will go to BOS at the end of the day, cheaper and the different finishes offered is more enticing. cost/value ratio considered, i think it won't make a big difference...
I will probably post this putter (and a pro plat del mar 3.5) on WRX for sale in like 2 months :)

[quote name='bbpak213' timestamp='1421221238' post='10743945']

i think that these will go to BOS at the end of the day, cheaper and the different finishes offered is more enticing. cost/value ratio considered, i think it won't make a big difference...
I will probably post this putter (and a pro plat del mar 3.5) on WRX for sale in like 2 months :)
[/quote]

no worries... I really did not intend to get on that soap box...but after my misunderstood post had to make it clear. In hindsight should have just sent a Pm to begin with.

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

[quote name='bladehunter' timestamp='1421241080' post='10744333']

[/quote]

no worries... I really did not intend to get on that soap box...but after my misunderstood post had to make it clear. In hindsight should have just sent a Pm to begin with.
[/quote]

I totally understand your thoughts on the A-B comparison. In fact, I made the same argument awhile back regarding an oil can Coronado II that I was wanting to send in to the Custom Shop until they discontinued their oil can finish option. I don't want a Pro Platinum or Classic Black oil can Coronado, I want OIL CAN - and BOS got my business. But I wasn't interested in a COA or that concerned with value or resale on my Coronado. I wasn't sure what concerns the OP had for his putter, plus he spoke about possibly getting a COA and if that's the case, the CS is definitely the way to go on a refinish. Plus, his putter has the Pro Plat finish which is still offered by Cameron, which to me makes it a no brainer. If cost is a concern, sell the headcover and grip.

[quote name='T-MAC' timestamp='1421249849' post='10744987']

[/quote]

[/quote]

I totally understand your thoughts on the A-B comparison. In fact, I made the same argument awhile back regarding an oil can Coronado II that I was wanting to send in to the Custom Shop until they discontinued their oil can finish option. I don't want a Pro Platinum or Classic Black oil can Coronado, I want OIL CAN - and BOS got my business. But I wasn't interested in a COA or that concerned with value or resale on my Coronado. I wasn't sure what concerns the OP had for his putter, plus he spoke about possibly getting a COA and if that's the case, the CS is definitely the way to go on a refinish. Plus, his putter has the Pro Plat finish which is still offered by Cameron, which to me makes it a no brainer. If cost is a concern, sell the headcover and grip.
[/quote]

totally agree Tmac.... I cringe at my original post as well ...but I did not mean for it to sound as it did... If I were sending in a pro platinum I would probably use CS as well since I would pull my own shaft and reinstall later and sell new one like you said... Just wish they would get on board and offer some real restoration services not just custom work....I cant understand why they would not farm out finishes that cant be completed in California... or offer a way of marking the putter that isn't obvious... laser etching inside hosel or something hi-tech such as that...

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

[quote name='bladehunter' timestamp='1421254883' post='10745441']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

totally agree Tmac.... I cringe at my original post as well ...but I did not mean for it to sound as it did... If I were sending in a pro platinum I would probably use CS as well since I would pull my own shaft and reinstall later and sell new one like you said... Just wish they would get on board and offer some real restoration services not just custom work....I cant understand why they would not farm out finishes that cant be completed in California... or offer a way of marking the putter that isn't obvious... laser etching inside hosel or something hi-tech such as that...
[/quote]

It is my understanding that if you have a putter with a original finish (ie. oil can) they do not force you to stamp it with a custom shop stamp because they do not offer that finish anymore. The oil can finish CAN be completed in California (BOS golf), scotty just doesn't want to do it, or subcontract out.

I have a Select Newport 2 Notchback that I wrangling with now. It's a little beat up and I hate seeing dings on the topline. I cant decide what to do with it and am contemplating the very same services. My issue is the "Cameron Aficionados" and I like the fact of keeping it all original. But there certainly is a difference in price of the service depending on the vendor.

[quote name='pinkyfoool' timestamp='1421263073' post='10746311']
[quote name='bladehunter' timestamp='1421254883' post='10745441']

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

It is my understanding that if you have a putter with a original finish (ie. oil can) they do not force you to stamp it with a custom shop stamp because they do not offer that finish anymore. The oil can finish CAN be completed in California (BOS golf), scotty just doesn't want to do it, or subcontract out.
[/quote]
..if you choose say pro platinum to go onto a putter that was originally something else you definitely must get the stamp... I think there are only a couple exclusions to the required stamp rule

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

The Custom Shop has relaxed the "stamp rule" big time since they only offer 2 finishes right now. In fact, I don't know if the rule applies at all anymore to be honest. I know people who have Mil Spec's that come Pro Platinum originally, and have had them refinished in the new Classic Black finish and no stamp was required (even though PP is still offered from them).

dio600 - The Classic Black that is available at the Custom Shop is basically the same finish that is on the black Notchbacks. Yes there is a difference in price for refinishing services, but keep in mind that you get a new shaft, shaftband, headcover, and grip with the Custom Shop. Other places just refinish the head.

Sorry to thread jack...getting a mixture of both BOS and Custom Shop. I have a Santa Fe TEi sole stamp. Which place would you guys send it to. BOS can make it look as close to original as possible...custom shop can't but at least the work is being done by the custom shop. Sell me on which way to go....not sure if I am going to game it...hang it or sell it.

if it has original grip and shaft for petes sake pull the shaft and save it before sending it to the custom shop... Those pebble grain or full cord grips are getting impossible to find... I hate to think how many (even if well used) of those grips and shafts the custom shop has probably thrown away... I guess either could do a good job assuming the Custom shop will do their black finish without any added stamps.. But from what ive seen BOS still does better restoration work for less $...

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

[quote name='bladehunter' timestamp='1421292496' post='10749117']
if it has original grip and shaft for petes sake pull the shaft and save it before sending it to the custom shop... Those pebble grain or full cord grips are getting impossible to find... I hate to think how many (even if well used) of those grips and shafts the custom shop has probably thrown away... I guess either could do a good job assuming the Custom shop will do their black finish without any added stamps.. But from what ive seen BOS still does better restoration work for less $...
[/quote]

Good advice on pulling the shaft.

To be clear J, I wasn't suggesting in my original reply that it was something that I think [b]you [/b]would have done. ;)

I just see all too often sellers trying to hide or misrepresent what they are selling as far as restos go. Full disclosure every time and let the buyer decide what they want to spend their money on.

[quote name='cdnrockies' timestamp='1421298407' post='10749465']
[quote name='bladehunter' timestamp='1421292496' post='10749117']
[/quote]

Good advice on pulling the shaft.

To be clear J, I wasn't suggesting in my original reply that it was something that I think [b]you [/b]would have done. ;)

I just see all too often sellers trying to hide or misrepresent what they are selling as far as restos go. Full disclosure every time and let the buyer decide what they want to spend their money on.
[/quote]

agreed.... often times my mouth goes in gear before my brain shifts out of park...

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

[quote name='Jasonfish_02' timestamp='1421291899' post='10749053']
Sorry to thread jack...getting a mixture of both BOS and Custom Shop. I have a Santa Fe TEi sole stamp. Which place would you guys send it to. BOS can make it look as close to original as possible...custom shop can't but at least the work is being done by the custom shop. Sell me on which way to go....not sure if I am going to game it...hang it or sell it.
[/quote]

For me, it would depend on what you want to do with it. You mentioned it possibly being a gamer. If that's the case, the new Classic Black from the Custom Shop would be my choice because it's a very durable finish. If you want it to look original and be a wall hanger, then I would go with BOS. They did the finishes for Scotty on the TeI3 sticks back in the day and they do an excellent job. But if it's a gamer, the black oxide finish won't hold up as well as the Classic Black.
Regardless of who you send it to, always pull the shaft first. You won't get the original shaft/grip back if you send the whole putter in to Scotty, and BOS will charge you extra to pull and replace a shaft if they get the whole putter.

• 3 months later...