2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

He's back and giddy about the game again

My name is Rick. Bear with me....this could take a few minutes to get out.

I live in Pittsburgh, PA with my wife of nearly 26 years and our three boys. The oldest just finished his freshman year of college, while the other two are finishing their junior and freshman years of high school. All three boys have been active football, basketball and baseball players (the oldest is still playing baseball in college and the other two may follow in his steps. We'll see.) Because they all play so much baseball in the spring and summer, it means that my clubs got relegated to the corner of the garage for many many years as I passionately support them and throw batting practice and hit ground balls to them.

I played some competitive golf through high school and some in college. I hosted and produced a nationally syndicated radio show that covered the pro circuits for about six years. interviewed thousands of pro players and golfers and club pros and teachers. Played many of the best golf courses in the country -- all as part of my "job." Tough gig, I know. Probably played at least 2 or three days a week before we had kids - and couldn't understand how people said "you will miss playing the game when kids come along...." Now I get it.

I have been brought back to the game by our youngest son. He's 14 and has always loved golf. Even when he was a toddler, he used to come over, sit down on the couch beside me and watch tournament coverage on the weekends. We bought him a junior set of clubs, he took some lessons, and was so excited about the game -- until he got to middle school and started playing school sports. There is no middle school golf team, so he played football, baseball and basketball. But this spring, something clicked. As we watched the Masters, he asked if we could go hit balls. Obviously his junior clubs were way too small (now for sale on Craigslist...) so I grabbed an old set of Tommy Armour 845's in the garage and off we went. We bought the largest bucket they had at the range figuring we would split it, but I stood there and watched as he hit ball after ball and kept asking questions about his swing and grip and stance. We worked on a bunch of stuff -- and I tried very to keep my mouth shut unless he asked. Think I hit 20 balls all day as blew me away as he started his quest for finding HIS swing.

That was all it took. I was hooked because he was hooked. We've been back four or five times since. He asked me to videotape his swing and I did one in slo-mo on my iphone. It was draw-droppingly gorgeous. Hit a hybrid 215 yards with a soft draw -- I nearly cried.

As much as he liked the 845 Silver Scots, I bought him a second-hand set of Ping irons here on the forum from GoIrish17 (Brad is the man!!!!) Gave them to him on Wednesday -- and I thought he might take them to bed with him. He's giddy. I couldn't let him struggle with new irons by himself, so I found a set of Callaway Apex irons for my bag over in the Classified section and can't wait to play with him all summer long. Had to have a new driver (gave him my Callaway FT-3 Fusion) and picked up one of the adjustable Titleist bad boys so it is game on.

Thanks to all of you for the encouragement to get back to the game I love....and can't wait to share with our son.

Rick

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice!! I was the one in middle school to actually push my dad into picking up the sport. We would always watch golf but I had never swung a club until 8th grade. After pestering him that I had no one to play with, he got some knock-offs.

10 years later, we are still playing when we can (live in different parts of the state), he gets to play more often, but i still hold a firm hand on all time record. I will never forget those 2 losses.

It sucks that I can't be playing with him every week, but I know we will cherish the game as long as possible.

Thanks for sharing!

• 5 months later...

I was scrolling back through some past transactions in my feedback while checking to see if any have been left that I need to return for some recent transactions, and somehow ended up down the wormhole here. Fun intro to read, thanks for sharing. Hope your son is enjoying those irons, and glad to see that our transaction may have had some impact on getting you to get back into the game a little bit more than before, as well as spending time with your son- probably the best part for you. Seriously, one of my favorite transactions on GolfWRX. Many years of enjoyment to you and your family, Rick. Please look me up if travels ever bring you to the Akron/ Cleveland area, first round (golf or 19th hole) is on me!

**Driver:** TaylorMade SIM Max 9° **|** Ventus Black 7 Velocore **3wd:** Titleist TS2 15° (C1) **|** Diamana D+ LTD 70 **Hybrid:** Callaway Apex 18° **|** AD-DI 95 **Irons:** Mizuno MP 18 Fli Hi 4 iron **|** AD-DI 95**/** JPX 919 Forged 5-PW **|** Recoil 95 **Wedges:** Vokey SM8 raw 50°F (Handground S), 54°S, 58°M (Handground A) **|** DG Black Onyx **Putters:** Byron Morgan DH 89 WITB: https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1505670/goirish17s-witb-updated-end-of-page-2#latest

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...