Japanese clubs?

Why don't they get more talk?
I went to the range today and the local pro at my range had a few clubs he wanted to sell. His brother is a golf pro in Japan so lots of equipment gets sent his way which isn't readily available anywhere else.

So he asks me to try out his driver. It was a Grand Prix 9* driver (couldn't get the exact model) with an X-flex shaft I had never seen before. That thing was carrying at least 25-30 yards longer than my 983K 8.5 loft with Stiff Titleist Speeder. I was floored. It was also my first ever experience with an X-flex shaft, i thought i could never load it, but i'm thinking of trying X-flex a little more so i can make up my mind to change from S to X. My point is, I've never heard of Grand Prix golf equipment, can't even find something on the internet about them.

Then the pro asks me to try a 16* wood made by a company called Royal Precision. It has an X flex Fujikura Vista Pro 80 gram shaft installed. Same thing, long as can be. I've never hit my 15* 3-wood that long either. Never heard of a company called Royal Precision either.

I play Mizuno MP-33s, and I think there is none better, so I'm no stranger to Japanese equipment, but have any of you ever tried the two brands above, or even heard about them? Why don't these clubs get more attention? They felt better than most of the regular OEM equipment I have tried, and were defintely longer as well. What other golf secrets do the Japanese keep from us?

Rao.

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi mate, never heard of Grand Prix golf but 25 yards is a long way!

Bear in mind that a lot of specs and tolerances are different in Japan and an X-flex over there could well be different to one elsewhere.

Royal Precision is Sonartec! Same company and similar products. Luke Donalds Sonartec 3 wood is technically a Royal Precision.

There's a link somewhere with some great info about Japanese manufacturers, i'll find it and get back to you.

In fact, just do a search for Japanese Clubs and you'll find endless information. I've just done the search and it's far too much to transfer over.

There's also another site which seems to be dedicated to Japanese equipment. It's like an Aladdin's cave of golf clubs that you haven't seen or heard of before. Thing is, i'm sure it's not a problem but I don't know what the rules are on giving out the site name?

Anyone know if it's o.k?

It's given out all the time on this forum, that's how I found out about it and it was sick website. I'll throw Beruo a line and check if it's okay

Thanks mate. Just wanted to check if it's o.k.

I think you have Royal Precision wrong; it's probably Royal Collection. If so, this is indeed the JDM version of Sonartec. Higher end with more expensive components. Awesome fairway woods and hybrids.

You're right, Royal Collection is Sonartec (I haven't had enough coffee yet)

Royal Precision make Rifle shafts. Although I think they've been bought out by True Temper.

Sorry! Meant Royal Collection. Awesome woods. Feel very "high end". I have heard rumours that Grand Prix equipment is made to order for Japanese Pros only. The driver this guy was using and the one I hit really well was worth about $700 in Japan! Can't imagine what it would cost if imported to the US. All in all, I'm a Japenese equipment fan for life now.

Any other comments about their equipment would help.

Thanks!

BTW- this was my first real post on this website, and I'm very impressed with the turn around time to my question! Great site.

Rao.

In fact, just do a search for Japanese Clubs and you'll find endless information. I've just done the search and it's far too much to transfer over.

There's also another site which seems to be dedicated to Japanese equipment. It's like an Aladdin's cave of golf clubs that you haven't seen or heard of before. Thing is, i'm sure it's not a problem but I don't know what the rules are on giving out the site name?

Anyone know if it's o.k?

http://www.tourspecgolf.com/

I think a couple of reasons is that the general public never sees it in the shops and on the TV. So why talk about it. The pros arnt pushing it, and the media doesnt either. I might see 500 ads from Callaway to 1 of a Japanesse OEM.

Tourspecgolf does a great job bring the quality closer for all of us.

First off, it's because of sites like this and Tourspec that I was even introduced to JDM (Japan Domestic Market) gear (most other adjectives are found offensive by many Japanese Americans) :friends: . If you look, you'll find plenty of info here on JDM gear (and even a few experts on it as well)---Tourspec is almost entirely dedicated to JDM gear--and for good reason. Japanese equipment (as a broad generalization) is much better than US equipment--and not longer, or more forgiving (although it might be)....

JDM gear is subject to MUCH higher standards, quality assurance, and craftsmanship---not to mention materials and processes. If you buy just about any JDM club and it's says 9.5 w/65g shaft---you can be it's 9.5 and 65g's---every time. I promise you, no US manufacturer is even close to the acceptable tolerances that JDM clubs are subject to. I've built up a number of JDM iron sets---and NONE of them had tip weights and all SW to an exact number. You won't get that Q/A from any US gear. I could go on an on....but I think you get the point.

Bottom line:

If you're curious and can save a little extra $---go ahead and pick up some JDM gear. You won't be disappointed in the quality and craftsmanship.

First off, it's because of sites like this and Tourspec that I was even introduced to JDM (Japan Domestic Market) gear (most other adjectives are found offensive by many Japanese Americans) :friends: . If you look, you'll find plenty of info here on JDM gear (and even a few experts on it as well)---Tourspec is almost entirely dedicated to JDM gear--and for good reason. Japanese equipment (as a broad generalization) is much better than US equipment--and not longer, or more forgiving (although it might be)....

JDM gear is subject to MUCH higher standards, quality assurance, and craftsmanship---not to mention materials and processes. If you buy just about any JDM club and it's says 9.5 w/65g shaft---you can be it's 9.5 and 65g's---every time. I promise you, no US manufacturer is even close to the acceptable tolerances that JDM clubs are subject to. I've built up a number of JDM iron sets---and NONE of them had tip weights and all SW to an exact number. You won't get that Q/A from any US gear. I could go on an on....but I think you get the point.

Bottom line:

If you're curious and can save a little extra $---go ahead and pick up some JDM gear. You won't be disappointed in the quality and craftsmanship.

Wow! That's a great reply. I get it now. To be clear though, I don't live in the US and I'm not American. I do visit the US every 6 months or so for business, and my parents live in Toronto. So I can get JDM cheaper than most in the US. Just wanted to know if the JDM was "good" equipment or not. Initially, the Pro showed the driver to me, and I was like "Never heard of that name before, may be it's a fake/knockoff". But the pro is ranked 2nd in the country, so when I came back to my senses i decided to try and hit it first. I'm going to try a Ping G5 tomorrow with an Aldila NV 65 S shaft tomorrow morning. I'm sure lots of people agree that the G5 is a long driver. We'll see how the JDM compares to one of the most famous OEMs tomorrow!

Rao.

Being from australia and I would be quite happy to send my money to Japan for some of the equipment they have. Id probably happily give my left one to get some of those japanese irons...

Also I would imagine that there is the odd maker of golf equipment that is sold in the U.S that isnt owned by American interests :friends:

Where abouts do you live RaoMizuno?

Check out Maruman (used to be big and they're starting to make a come back). Beautiful irons and a new driver that i've heard is an absolute cannon.

Katana is a company that doesn't get much attention as well. I've got a few friends who play on the European Tour and at one time or another they've all put a Katana driver in tournament play.

Check out Maruman (used to be big and they're starting to make a come back). Beautiful irons and a new driver that i've heard is an absolute cannon.

Katana is a company that doesn't get much attention as well. I've got a few friends who play on the European Tour and at one time or another they've all put a Katana driver in tournament play.

Villa, I can get this guy to get me anything as long as its available in Japan. For your reference, I live in Pakistan, no we don't play golf with sticks and stones! :friends:

I'm going to check out Katana for sure, and I have heard many good things about Maruman. I've only just begun to realize that the shaft is more important than any good head you put it in. I could defintely try some nice new shafts too. I also love anything with Mizuno written across it, as I'm sure you can guess.

Rao.

Villa, I can get this guy to get me anything as long as its available in Japan. For your reference, I live in Pakistan, no we don't play golf with sticks and stones! :D

I'm going to check out Katana for sure, and I have heard many good things about Maruman. I've only just begun to realize that the shaft is more important than any good head you put it in. I could defintely try some nice new shafts too. I also love anything with Mizuno written across it, as I'm sure you can guess.

Rao.

Give me credit, I know you're more civilised than that. You play with steel rods and stones right? :friends:

Sounds like a good contact to have! What's golf like over there mate? Is it easy to get equipment in general?

P.S Forget to give you a proper welcome to the greatest (and clearly most diverse) site in the world!

Since I work for a Japanese manufacturer here in the United States I guess I will throw my 2 cents in on the topic. The reason the Japanese products and US products are different is that the driving market forces of the two markets are different. The US market is price driven, where as the Japanese market is quailty/performance driven. SO take a company like Srixon. In Japan they create the highest quality/technologically advanced driver they can....and they charge $800-$1000 for a driver to pay for those R&D and quality costs. Then when it comes to the US product offerings they generally start with something similar to the Japanese offering but cut it back until it reaches a price point that it can be offered in the US.

From personal experience I have found that the desparity between Drivers/Fairway woods between JDM and OEM in the states is greater then the desparity in irons. Thats why my drivers (Srixon 505 and ZR600) and 3 wood (Z-Steel) are JDM...I hit the crap out of them.

Driver: ZX5 MKII 8.5 LS w/TOUR AD VF-6x
Fairway: Srixon ZX MKII 13.5* w/ GD TOUR AD M9003
Hybrid: Srixon ZX MKII 16* w/ Nippon GOST

Utility: Srixon ZX MKII 20* w/Nippon GOST
Irons: SRIXON ZX5 LIMITED EDITION BLACK w/Private Reserve Steelfiber 110
Wedges: RTX6 52* and 56*
Putter: Frontline Elite RHO

Ball: Z-Star XV Divide

All with Bad@$$ headcovers

Villa, I can get this guy to get me anything as long as its available in Japan. For your reference, I live in Pakistan, no we don't play golf with sticks and stones! :D

Rao.

Give me credit, I know you're more civilised than that. You play with steel rods and stones right? :friends:

Sounds like a good contact to have! What's golf like over there mate? Is it easy to get equipment in general?

P.S Forget to give you a proper welcome to the greatest (and clearly most diverse) site in the world!

Golf in Pakistan- Not as competitive as anywhere in the developed world. It is picking up though, like it is everywhere else in the world. Equipment is next to impossible to find. So you find something that costs three times as much as it does in the US, and happily pay for it, otherwise you're left with fakes to choose from. I have built a reasonable set however, I do want to swap my driver and 3 wood some time this year. Here's what I play for now:

Titleist 983K 8.5 Stock Titleist Speeder Stiff

Cobra SZ 15* Stock Aldila Stiff

Nike Pro Combo Forged Driving Iron 18* Stock Stiff shaft

Mizuno MP-33s DG S300 3-PW

Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54/10

Cleveland CG11 60* 14 bounce

Odyssey White Hot #4

Bridgestone B330s

So while its not a very outdated bag, the woods need to be replaced primarily because I'm sick of the stock shafts. No fitting, no launch monitors, no chances to try new clubs before you buy- welcome to Pakistan.

Thanks for the forum welcome, mate!

Rao.

Welcome Rao, if it would be possible I'd love to see some pictures of a course that you play. I'm curious to see other designs.

Another Welcome Rao here. :friends: I agree with pretty much everything said about JDM equipment above. If you have any questions about JDM, feel free to PM me. You can also click my WITB photo link in my signature. You'll see I have a few JDM stuff in my WITB thread. :D

In Singapore and other South East Asian Countries, there's always a choice between US spec or Japan spec for major OEMs like Nike, Titleist and Callaway. Most of the diff is the different shaft choices, length of the clubs and the grip sizes.

Katana, Maruman are pretty popular there. There was also S-Yard by Seiko which were selling like Hotcakes back in the 90s. Yamaha's On/Off, Tourstage, JDM Macgregor, Pro Gear (PRGR) and Honma are all pretty hot selling. Fourteen is making some sort of cult following too. The surprising thing is that Muira is not that well known tho!

Need no mentioning will be that Mizuno is still the most popular JDM club but even that comes with both US or Japan Spec.