Japanese clubs?

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not trying to diss on asian guys - please don't misinterpret what I'm trying to say guys.

It's a fact that flexes in JDM plays much softer than US or Euro flexes does. All I'm saying is that a Euro guy that plays with stiff flex should go one flex up in JDM gear and play with X-stiff. Please DO NOT turn this into another discussion, guys.

Would I have a Miura logo in my avatar, If I didn't have the upmost respect for JDM gear and Asian golf gear ?

EDIT: The first line in this post might sound strange, but a couple of posts earlier in this thread has been deleted by a Marshall or GXGolfer to keep this thread ON topic and not OFF Topic - I'm thankful for that :friends:

Sorry about getting off topic before, although the post has been deleted so i guess it's a moot point.

The differences in flex may have to do more with differences in height (a statistically verifiable fact) rather than strength (which is very debatable). The difference in average height and arm/leg/torso length probably mean that asian market shafts are meant to trimmed shorter, effectively raising the stiffness. If you tried to play the shaft at a trimmed length equal to US standards (slightly longer than the intended trimmed length), the shafts would probably play softer.

Also, it could be a cultural difference. There's definitely a certain American machismo that makes us all want to see a low loft on our drivers and a stiff flex on our shafts. Perhaps the Japanese aren't so inclined?

Edit: Btw, I didn't mean to imply that your were dissing on asian guys, it's just that i hate to see misconceptions like that perpetuated

I'm not trying to diss on asian guys - please don't misinterpret what I'm trying to say guys.

It's a fact that flexes in JDM plays much softer than US or Euro flexes does. All I'm saying is that a Euro guy that plays with stiff flex should go one flex up in JDM gear and play with X-stiff. Please DO NOT turn this into another discussion, guys.

Would I have a Miura logo in my avatar, If I didn't have the upmost respect for JDM gear and Asian golf gear ?

I didn't know. Good info, Miura.

I agree with Claus. JDM iron and wood shafts have softer flexes than USDM models. In fact some of the large consumer brands' shafts are quite a bit softer. But their high-end stuff, is absolutely the best there is. In driver shafts, iron heads, wedges they have no equal. I'm on my 3rd set of Japanese forgings, I can't say enough about them; I'm a fan for life.

I agree with Claus. JDM iron and wood shafts have softer flexes than USDM models. In fact some of the large consumer brands' shafts are quite a bit softer. But their high-end stuff, is absolutely the best there is. In driver shafts, iron heads, wedges they have no equal. I'm on my 3rd set of Japanese forgings, I can't say enough about them; I'm a fan for life.

Good post....I keep reading the comments regarding softer flexes...this is pretty much true on their normal retail/game improvement equipment. On the "player" end items like Tourstage, G Field, Beres, XXIO/Srixon, ONOFF, Mizuno, I've found that the shafts are pretty much in line with the US. Usually you'll find that their stock offerings are the custom offerings from the US OEM's. I don't think anyone can tell me a Roddio shaft on an ONOFF drifver was made for a weak swinging lightweight. :partytime2:

Thanks, All, for the great welcome. This is very quickly becoming my favorite forum.

"Wow! That's a great reply. I get it now. To be clear though, I don't live in the US and I'm not American. I do visit the US every 6 months or so for business, and my parents live in Toronto. So I can get JDM cheaper than most in the US. Just wanted to know if the JDM was "good" equipment or not. Initially, the Pro showed the driver to me, and I was like "Never heard of that name before, may be it's a fake/knockoff". But the pro is ranked 2nd in the country, so when I came back to my senses i decided to try and hit it first. I'm going to try a Ping G5 tomorrow with an Aldila NV 65 S shaft tomorrow morning. I'm sure lots of people agree that the G5 is a long driver. We'll see how the JDM compares to one of the most famous OEMs tomorrow!"

So I tried the G5 today with the Aldila NV 65 Stiff this morning. I got to say I was utterly disappointed. I also had the chance to try a G2 with the same shaft and hit it so much better. The G5 was a 9 degree head, and the G2 was a 10 degree head, I currently play a 983K with a 8.5 degree head. I hit my 983K longer than the G5, and the G2 about the same distance as my current Titleist. I'm looking for all of your ho'ing experience, why did this happen? Very weird.

My Titleist 983K 8.5 has a stiff Titleist Speeder shaft. Nobody i know likes that shaft, but I love it! Anyone here know which shaft plays like a Titleist Speeder? Please bear in mind that the Titleist heads are of a bore thru design, hence play stiffer than other non-bore thru heads. (But i'm sure you all already knew that).

Thanks, All, for the great welcome. This is very quickly becoming my favorite forum.

"Wow! That's a great reply. I get it now. To be clear though, I don't live in the US and I'm not American. I do visit the US every 6 months or so for business, and my parents live in Toronto. So I can get JDM cheaper than most in the US. Just wanted to know if the JDM was "good" equipment or not. Initially, the Pro showed the driver to me, and I was like "Never heard of that name before, may be it's a fake/knockoff". But the pro is ranked 2nd in the country, so when I came back to my senses i decided to try and hit it first. I'm going to try a Ping G5 tomorrow with an Aldila NV 65 S shaft tomorrow morning. I'm sure lots of people agree that the G5 is a long driver. We'll see how the JDM compares to one of the most famous OEMs tomorrow!"

So I tried the G5 today with the Aldila NV 65 Stiff this morning. I got to say I was utterly disappointed. I also had the chance to try a G2 with the same shaft and hit it so much better. The G5 was a 9 degree head, and the G2 was a 10 degree head, I currently play a 983K with a 8.5 degree head. I hit my 983K longer than the G5, and the G2 about the same distance as my current Titleist. I'm looking for all of your ho'ing experience, why did this happen? Very weird.

My Titleist 983K 8.5 has a stiff Titleist Speeder shaft. Nobody i know likes that shaft, but I love it! Anyone here know which shaft plays like a Titleist Speeder? Please bear in mind that the Titleist heads are of a bore thru design, hence play stiffer than other non-bore thru heads. (But i'm sure you all already knew that).

I'm glad you like it in here - welcome aboard ;)

It's the best golf forum in the world - and believe me, I've tried them all and is still a member of 6 other golfforums - this is the best of the best :partytime2:

Sure does look like it is the best.

Having said that, does anyone have answers to my last queries?

Thanks,

Rao.

Hi mate. It's a really difficult one to answer especially as you don't have any launch monitor facilities.

The reason (as far as I know) that the G5 was made was to create less spin than the G2 so it should launch lower. Couple that with the fact that you were using a lower lofted G5 than G2 and you'll start to see very different launch characteristics. If there wasn't much room for the G5 to run out then you probably wouldn't have seen the best results. The G2 might've carried further.

Having said all that, you're using an 8.5* 983K so launch obviously isn't an issue (however you've probably adapted a little to this club and that counts for a lot).

Shaft that plays closest to the Titleist Speeder? Fujikura Speeder?

Villa,

You've been my saviour so far.

Your explanation about the Ping issue makes sense. I didn't know the G5 was a low spin head. Funny thing is that my misses were way far right than they usually are with the 983k. Low spin shouldn't do that, should it? I don't know, but i have a feeling that Aldila NV shaft does me no good.

I'm in looking into a 905R purchase, is the 905R supposed to be low spin also? Also, if i were to get an 8.5 loft in the R, would it play similar to 8.5 loft of the 983K? I think I've heard somewhere that it would play lower, cannot be sure though.

Thanks again, mate.

Rao.

Villa,

You've been my saviour so far.

Your explanation about the Ping issue makes sense. I didn't know the G5 was a low spin head. Funny thing is that my misses were way far right than they usually are with the 983k. Low spin shouldn't do that, should it? I don't know, but i have a feeling that Aldila NV shaft does me no good.

I'm in looking into a 905R purchase, is the 905R supposed to be low spin also? Also, if i were to get an 8.5 loft in the R, would it play similar to 8.5 loft of the 983K? I think I've heard somewhere that it would play lower, cannot be sure though.

Thanks again, mate.

Rao.

The G5 isn't a low spin head, just lower than the G2. Either way, neither that nor the shaft should make it go right. I would definately recommend a 905R but I wouldn't recommend sticking with 8.5. I don't know all the technical details but a 9.5 will probably play similar to what you've got now. Plus you can get it with the Titleist Speeder which you already like!

• 7 months later...

[quote name='RaoMizuno' post='558474' date='May 10 2007, 04:56 AM']I went to the range today and the local pro at my range had a few clubs he wanted to sell. His brother is a golf pro in Japan so lots of equipment gets sent his way which isn't readily available anywhere else.

So he asks me to try out his driver. It was a Grand Prix 9* driver (couldn't get the exact model) with an X-flex shaft I had never seen before. That thing was carrying at least 25-30 yards longer than my 983K 8.5 loft with Stiff Titleist Speeder. I was floored. It was also my first ever experience with an X-flex shaft, i thought i could never load it, but i'm thinking of trying X-flex a little more so i can make up my mind to change from S to X. My point is, I've never heard of Grand Prix golf equipment, can't even find something on the internet about them.

Then the pro asks me to try a 16* wood made by a company called Royal Precision. It has an X flex Fujikura Vista Pro 80 gram shaft installed. Same thing, long as can be. I've never hit my 15* 3-wood that long either. Never heard of a company called Royal Precision either.

I play Mizuno MP-33s, and I think there is none better, so I'm no stranger to Japanese equipment, but have any of you ever tried the two brands above, or even heard about them? Why don't these clubs get more attention? They felt better than most of the regular OEM equipment I have tried, and were defintely longer as well. What other golf secrets do the Japanese keep from us?

Rao.[/quote]

Did you plop down the cash and buy them?

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

OK, my 2 cents:

Americans are obsessed with being bigger, faster, longer, etc. without any regard on how they get there. If someone put out a club that advertised hitting the ball dead strait and longer then they'd ever experianced, they would sell like hot cakes. The Perfect club just as one example. Why work on your game when you can buy it. Now the thing with OEM's and why they constantly sell a bizillion $'s worth of equipment over the Japanese releases is just as the example states: longer, faster, more precision, etc. When you hear about Japanese brands it's about quality instead, "from 50 generations of a family with ties to forging a Samurai's finest swords...", not "more forgiving then a nun with a guilty conscience".

I for one am happy that the Japanese market is not so big here, if it was quality would probably suffer tremendously.