Oceans Eleven Confessions to break a man's heart....

Matt J

Gosh, PD. I hope I don't have to pull the shafts.

I was actually just fretting about the fact that I hate to spend 60 bucks on grips for such ugly sticks. :)

The great Confessions shoot out will have to be a blades only affair. If you guys let me bring my CB's it wouldn't even be fair. :)

LOL says the guy that still isn't over his HEAD CASE about blades. You are almost over it!

I have no head case about blades, my friend.

You know what my lefty CB's look like. They're not that different. To be honest, where I am at the moment with my game, if I miss the center of the face so much that I'm looking for forgiveness out of my club then I'd just as soon take a stroke and re-hit the shot. How many times a round are you missing the sweet spot that badly, and expecting a decent number? Once, maybe twice?

I dunno. Maybe I'm spoiled by playing up a tee box this winter, but I've gotten a little more distance out of the number 1 wood and I only carry down to a 5 iron, so how bad can it get? You want to really push my button, ask me to trade my hybrids in and stop carrying fairways and make me play from the big boy box at 7,200 yards. Haha. Heck, there's two par 4's I have to crush a drive and hit a full 3 wood just to reach them in regulation.

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ninja, I'll even bring my Wishon staff bag and hybrids for you.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*
Adams Super S Hybrids 22*, 25*
NCW 24*, 28*, 33*, 38*, 43*, 48*, 53*
Mac Custom Grind 58* (NevadaGolfGuy Special)
Bradley, Geom, Machine, Mannkrafted, Ping, Rife, SGC, Scotty, Tad Moore, Xenon

I've got those Zing 2's handy we could punish one of the lefty's with on the back nine.

Hammer would probably beat us all by 5 strokes with the Zing's in his bag.

Ninja, you keep talking about my head case...

we're almost due for a duel. Neutral ground. Halfway between here and there. I'll beat you with these 20 year old blades if you insist. But, I keep the hybrids :)

Bend maybe?

We get a reciprocal at few clubs up there now. I'd like to play a bunch of different tracks up there. Widgi Creek maybe?

PLEASE "punish" me with MattJ's Miuras. I'll play them lefty and like it over a Wishon or a PING. MERCY! UNCLE!

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

My scores won't vary much between the two 9s, Ninja on the other hand may struggle to keep the card clean.

With the vomitting between holes.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

I've got those Zing 2's handy we could punish one of the lefty's with on the back nine.

we're almost due for a duel. Neutral ground. Halfway between here and there. I'll beat you with these 20 year old blades if you insist. But, I keep the hybrids :)

Bend maybe?

We get a reciprocal at few clubs up there now. I'd like to play a bunch of different tracks up there. Widgi Creek maybe?

LOL keeping the hybrids. (U a cheetah!) If you are going to throw down and puff it up like that then it is PW to 3i.

We gotta hook up at...BANDON!!!

Registered Bladeocrat

Bend maybe?

LOL keeping the hybrids. (U a cheetah!) If you are going to throw down and puff it up like that then it is PW to 3i.

Bandon passed my pay grade last week when they switched to spring.

Maybe we'll wait until it's stupid hot and go to Bend. Heck, I'll make it up north before too long. I'd still like to play Eastmoreland.

Okay. Just one hybrid.

My scores won't vary much between the two 9s, Ninja on the other hand may struggle to keep the card clean.

I'll bring my bag fat ti faced tungsten soled Rapture V2s for Ninja. He won't

break 50 with those. :cheesy:

EDIT: just the thought got me so giddy it made me TOOLed!!

Bend maybe?

Bandon passed my pay grade last week when they switched to spring.

Maybe we'll wait until it's stupid hot and go to Bend. Heck, I'll make it up north before too long. I'd still like to play Eastmoreland.

Oh I only go to Bandon during the "cheap" times. This is a long term plan.

If you can get up to Emerald Valley I may be able to swing down there on a Sun or Sat.

I have played Eastmoreland about a dozen times but not in a few years. One of the better Portland munis. Old course too, and tight with trees. There are better options up here, but it is affordable. I would take you to Heron Lakes Great Blue, Langdon Farms, or Stone Creek well before Eastmoreland.

Registered Bladeocrat

Bend maybe?

Heck, I'll play them Ping Zings!!! ;)

I'll bring my bag fat ti faced tungsten soled Rapture V2s for Ninja. He won't

break 50 with those. :cheesy:

EDIT: just the thought got me so giddy it made me TOOLed!!

I'm soooo glad I swore an oath. Guess that makes me the Confessions Marshal. Oh and I'll hold all the betting money.

Registered Bladeocrat

Great discussion as I browsed. I will read more in depth here soon once I get home. Stopping for lunch and I just wanted to say...... Blades baaaabaaay! Haha just shot the lowest round of the year at 88 and I'll tell you what..... The bad shot that screwed me from coming closer to 80 was not the irons..... Driver put me I some bad spots early on. I didn't have worse than bogey (2x) if I hit in the fairway or just off. The irons flew the distance I wanted and flight I wanted. I did notice they were about a club shorter. But that is because I am not hitting legit sweet spot every time. There were two times where I hit the sweet spot and it did fly over what I was expecting. Overalls a fantastic iron striking day, short game showed up as well where my chips were easily one put distance. Putting wise I did fantastic only time I didn't one part was when I shouldn't have in the first place

Basically the supposed to say blades forever!!!!

I'm loving this post.

TAKE THE OATH! TAKE THE OATH! TAKE THE OATH!

According to the simulator results my Blades fly the ball higher than my CB's, and the Blades are the stronger lofted of the two sets too lol. I'm kinda enjoying the higher simulated flights so far, Hoping real world results are similar.

Is this the reason why the pros who play blades can stop there long irons a lot better than the pros who play the suppose it forgiving Seabees or players irons? Or is it just because it is a completely different game than what we are talking about and the guys if it's up there long errands get it that high with that much spend?

The long irons stop better with blades mainly due to more spin and MORE CONSISTENT spin. Sure the pros hit them higher and with more spin, but that is simply because they have a higher swing speed. Given all other things equal, a faster swing speed will result in a ball that spins more and goes both farther and higher. This is the only "different game" being played. Sure, an amateur will NOT stop the ball as easily, but that is the same issue regardless of using a blade or CB.

Another thing that is "flawed" in the logic of needing to hit long irons sky high is the simple physics that irons are lofted in fixed increments. A 21* face will proportionally launch the ball lower than a 24* face which will subsequently and proportionally launch the ball lower than a 27* face. The distances each face produces is also proportional. So OF COURSE the 21* launch angle is "low". If you want it to go just as high as the 24* face, but also farther, then you have to change something in the design...higher launch shafts, CB flexing faced head with low CG, longer shaft with the same loft as the shorter iron, use a 7W or hybrid, etc...and then when you do this you simply don't get that consistent transition from club to club since everything is so different. This is fine and all, but it is not an automatic "benefit". The changes will add more complication to your bag. Again, high launch = overstated and overrated "Kool-Aid".

Wow I just reread that second post you quoted and I'm surprised you got anything from that. I am assuming my talk to text did not understand a single word I said. I just forgot to look at it before I hit post ha ha.

Ninja I have already taken the oath brother, I'm all in on the blades and wont be playing anything else :-) Yesterday was fantastic. The only thing that wasn't going well was my driving. 28 puts a lot of up-and-down's for par or bogey, striking the irons very well besides two or three times. Par threes I was -1. Par fives I was +6 I believe and three out of the four we're definitely due to not getting off the tee appropriately

Forever Changing at this point.......

Pigems, a conventional 2 iron is 18 degrees and at that side of the bag usually you only have 3 degree gaps, maybe even 2 for the 1 iron. I'd say 16 degrees. I have a 2 iron in my Zing set, it's great off the tee. I've never seen a left-handed 1 iron.

Great day Papa Joe. Glad to see you're getting back into the swing of things.

Pigems, a conventional 2 iron is 18 degrees and at that side of the bag usually you only have 3 degree gaps, maybe even 2 for the 1 iron. I'd say 16 degrees. I have a 2 iron in my Zing set, it's great off the tee. I've never seen a left-handed 1 iron.

Great day Papa Joe. Glad to see you're getting back into the swing of things.

Thanks for the info Matt, I think this 2 iron is 18*. I actually had a set of Zing's at one point that had a 2 iron in that set too, I just couldn't get used to that set though.

And check out the sweet deal on these Razr X MB's, definitely sweet, and Lefty!!

http://www.ebay.ca/i...~4AAOSwmmxW6eeQ

These Macs are sweet to but they've got someones initials stamped on them

http://www.ebay.ca/i...C4AAOSwu1VW6ZUy

910D2 9.5*- RIP Alpha 70x
910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

A small clubhead is like a precise calibration tool for setting behind the ball. It is like having a micrometer vs a standard ruler for measuring. You end up being MORE consistent on setting the club EXACTLY behind the ball every time. With a larger sized clubhead, there is more "slop" room to set the ball slightly offset from ideal.

Also a smaller clubhead has a lower MOI which makes it EASIER for the hands to square the clubface. It takes LESS energy for the golfer to manipulate the face. Impact puts LESS torque on the hands.

A smaller clubhead gets through the turf and grass easier.

A smaller clubhead has likely more mass behind the ball at impact, making the face a VERY solid base for consistent rebound of the ball.

But you won't hear any of this from the "technical" guys that are in the business of selling forgiving clubs with big FUGLY heads.

PimpDaddy LOL your blades journey is EPIC. I can still remember that guy in the Wager thread that claimed that he didn't have the game for them so much. WTF has happened???

What can I say . . .

I like to spend money on things I don't need and I experiment like a college student. This has been one heck of a journey Ninja. At the end of the day I'm enjoying the game more now than I ever have.

The fact that blades/CB's/MAWBB's/etc. work/don't work for 'Joe Golfer' does not mean that they will work/won't work for PD.

Blades bring the enjoyment of the game to another level. They bring out the BEST golf in you, if you LET them. They enable you "see" your game and the swing in high definition. CBs = low rez golf.

yikes... I should take my G-15's and fade into the sunset.. :wave:

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

A small clubhead is like a precise calibration tool for setting behind the ball. It is like having a micrometer vs a standard ruler for measuring. You end up being MORE consistent on setting the club EXACTLY behind the ball every time. With a larger sized clubhead, there is more "slop" room to set the ball slightly offset from ideal.

Also a smaller clubhead has a lower MOI which makes it EASIER for the hands to square the clubface. It takes LESS energy for the golfer to manipulate the face. Impact puts LESS torque on the hands.

A smaller clubhead has likely more mass behind the ball at impact, making the face a VERY solid base for consistent rebound of the ball.

But you won't hear any of this from the "technical" guys that are in the business of selling forgiving clubs with big FUGLY heads.

PimpDaddy LOL your blades journey is EPIC. I can still remember that guy in the Wager thread that claimed that he didn't have the game for them so much. WTF has happened???

What can I say . . .

I like to spend money on things I don't need and I experiment like a college student. This has been one heck of a journey Ninja. At the end of the day I'm enjoying the game more now than I ever have.

The fact that blades/CB's/MAWBB's/etc. work/don't work for 'Joe Golfer' does not mean that they will work/won't work for PD.

Blades bring the enjoyment of the game to another level. They bring out the BEST golf in you, if you LET them. They enable you "see" your game and the swing in high definition. CBs = low rez golf.

Not at all. Golf is still good at any "resolution". Like having an orgasm...you still get off, but sometimes it is so good your toes curl.

Get some MP-sixtysomepings and let those toes curl when you nut one. THEN phase out the G-15s. Easy peasy!

Registered Bladeocrat

What can I say . . .

Don't do that! Us cavity backers need to stick together. You, me, Jordan Spieth - I'm good with that! :good:

Jordan plays MAWBBs. Basically a blade with the cosmetics of a CB. Same performance and same "detriments".

There is a "tour" version of the AP2. It is made with less offset and thinner topline than the retail version...both features that make it MORE blade-like. This way, the pros get even more blade-like performance, BUT...they can appear to play something "forgiving".

I would LOVE to see a touring pro play a legit retail version of an SGI club. That guy will have MAD SKILLZ.

Registered Bladeocrat

Jordan plays MAWBBs. Basically a blade with the cosmetics of a CB. Same performance and same "detriments".

There is a "tour" version of the AP2. It is made with less offset and thinner topline than the retail version...both features that make it MORE blade-like. This way, the pros get even more blade-like performance, BUT...they can appear to play something "forgiving".

I would LOVE to see a touring pro play a legit retail version of an SGI club. That guy will have MAD SKILLZ.

Didn't some guy supposedly grab a set off the rack at a store before a tournament one time?? I wanna say VJ but maybe it was KJ Choi??

Ok it was Choi but it wasn't what I remember hearing before, I thought he grabbed OTR clubs.

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/you-could-shop-in-the-same-sto

910f 17*- Diamana D+ 82x
910h 20* Hybrid - S400
712 CB 4i-Pw - S300
SM5 51*, 55*- S300
TVD 59* M - S300
Studio Select NP2

What can I say . . .

I don't know how everyone else feels but the last thing I want is to see

this thread turn into a blade snob thread.

A good buddy of mine who used to play blades shot a 74 yesterday on

a difficult course with big fat Callaway XR irons. The irons are not that

important; it's the swing and game that matters. I've seen him play

every iron style under the sun and it doesn't affect his scores.

He used to say he couldn't stand to look down on a huge iron. Now he

has 'em in his bag, lol. And the funny thing is when he goes out to play

you never know what he will show up with. He's not even a member

of WRX but he's a worse club ho than I am.

In the past year or so off the top of my head I can recall seeing him with

Mizzy MP52, Callaway Razr, Callaway XR, TBaG TP MBs, Callaway

X16, Bstone j38 and TBaG Rocketblades. That's just what comes

to me right now. I'm sure I'm forgetting some, lol.

Some people just like EVERYTHING, LMAO. He laughed at me when

I showed up with blades last week since all he's ever seen me play

with is PING, lol.

The way I see it, if you're not playing high level tournament golf, who cares?

Just play what you like and have fun. Makes no difference to me what

flavor kool aid anyone drinks.

If playing CBs actually stopped people from being better golfers then half

the PGA Tour should just give up and go home.....and 95% of the LPGA.

Didn't some guy supposedly grab a set off the rack at a store before a tournament one time?? I wanna say VJ but maybe it was KJ Choi??

Ok it was Choi but it wasn't what I remember hearing before, I thought he grabbed OTR clubs.

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/you-could-shop-in-the-same-sto

LOL he played OTR Miura 501s...not your everyday garden variety SGI club. I hit the 501s...basically a MAWBB with awesome quality steel.

I'm talking tour pro choosing to play Gmax irons...he would be a rare bird...

Registered Bladeocrat

Rad,

I echo your sentiments verbatim.

I'm experimenting so that I can experience the game in different ways. I'm also continuing to develop my building skills. My dabbling in blades this year has nothing to do with lower scores. I've played well and poorly with every club I own.

Cobra King F9 10.5*
Cobra F9 14.5*
Cobra 18.5*

LOL! OK. Well, they all play a tour version of everything. It certainly has more perimeter weighting than the 714 MBs. Works for him.

And, KJ Choi played G15s for a while.

I will go on the record and be done, because nobody wants that issue brought up here. I am a skeptic, denier, heretic, whatever, regarding blades being superior in every way for every golfer. IMO, there are benefits and drawbacks to each design. If there is any data that supports some of the pro-blade claims or refutes 'conventional wisdom', I'd love to see it - feel free to shoot me a PM. (I did search for Trackman comparisons, but didn't come up with anything useful). I say everybody play what makes them happy!

Full disclosure: I dipped my toe in the water with a set of Hogans, but the sweetspot was the size of a pimple on an ant's Word not allowed - they look great, and I will pull them out again just for that reason and the nostalgia factor, but it was not much fun hitting them.

What can I say . . .

I don't know how everyone else feels but the last thing I want is to see

this thread turn into a blade snob thread.

A good buddy of mine who used to play blades shot a 74 yesterday on

a difficult course with big fat Callaway XR irons. The irons are not that

important; it's the swing and game that matters. I've seen him play

every iron style under the sun and it doesn't affect his scores.

He used to say he couldn't stand to look down on a huge iron. Now he

has 'em in his bag, lol. And the funny thing is when he goes out to play

you never know what he will show up with. He's not even a member

of WRX but he's a worse club ho than I am.

In the past year or so off the top of my head I can recall seeing him with

Mizzy MP52, Callaway Razr, Callaway XR, TBaG TP MBs, Callaway

X16, Bstone j38 and TBaG Rocketblades. That's just what comes

to me right now. I'm sure I'm forgetting some, lol.

Some people just like EVERYTHING, LMAO. He laughed at me when

I showed up with blades last week since all he's ever seen me play

with is PING, lol.

The way I see it, if you're not playing high level tournament golf, who cares?

Just play what you like and have fun. Makes no difference to me what

flavor kool aid anyone drinks.

If playing CBs actually stopped people from being better golfers then half

the PGA Tour should just give up and go home.....and 95% of the LPGA.

Amen! Well stated.

I'm like your buddy, in that it doesn't make much difference to me what club I'm playing - I could go MP62s one day and G20's the next. I've always thought it was kinda funny when guys would say they can't stand the thick top line or such just because it's something I never noticed at address.

http://www.golfdiges...in-the-same-sto

LOL he played OTR Miura 501s...not your everyday garden variety SGI club. I hit the 501s...basically a MAWBB with awesome quality steel.

No need for a GMax iron for a pro. After all they hit the sweet spot nearly every

time. I know some Ping staff plays the i series CB and in the WITB pics you can

see the faces are not reinforced. They play like a CB, not a MAWBB, like the S

series Ping irons.

KJ Choi did play the G15s at the 2011 Masters and he wasn't on the staff. There

were plenty of pics at the time on WRX cause WRXers were stunned to see him

playing a fat bottomed SGI. He wasn't the only one. There were 2 or 3 others

playing the G15 that season. I think Garret Willis and Chris Riley were 2 of them.

It was the high, soft landing shot they were after.

I know of at least 2 former PGA Tour pros that played the G25 irons a few years

ago because they said so on the radio. Rich Beem and Carl Paulson.

I don't know if he still is but Kenny Perry played TBaG and then Adams SGIs

for years. Actually also said he loves offset, believe it or not.

The vast majority of Tour players play small headed irons but there are some

outliers who have tried or played the SGI irons...and in typical fashion, when

WRXers get wind of it the popcorn starts popping, lol.

No need for a GMax iron for a pro. After all they hit the sweet spot nearly every

series Ping irons.

playing the G15 that season. I think Garret Willis and Chris Riley were 2 of them.

KJ has MAD SKILLZ. And I'm aware of the "SGI pros". Point being, the "SGI pro" is rare. More often then not, guys are using blades or MAWBBs. Reason being, SUPERIOR performance (in general).

Other point being is that MAWBBs seen on tour are just blades with CB eye candy (for those that like that sort of thing).

Registered Bladeocrat

series Ping irons.

KJ has MAD SKILLZ. And I'm aware of the "SGI pros". Point being, the "SGI pro" is rare. More often then not, guys are using blades or MAWBBs. Reason being, SUPERIOR performance (in general).

Other point being is that MAWBBs seen on tour are just blades with CB eye candy (for those that like that sort of thing).

What a contrast when KJ ditched the G15s and put the Baby Blades in

the bag, lol. I think he had those babies in the bag when he won the

Players Championship.

He definitely has MAD SKILZ. It's good to see him playing well this

season. I've been a fan for awhile. Great guy.

EDIT: even with the Miuras in the bag though I think he plays a few

hybrids. Seems he has a hybrid in hand when he gets to 200 yards

or more out from the green.

And another point being is that the "tour version" is a joke on the ignorant consumer that "thinks" he is playing the same thing as the touring pro. Like having a Porsche engine and chassis but then putting the body of a Ford Focus over it so everybody thinks he drives the Focus for its "performance".

We play a carney game. Don't be the "mark".

Registered Bladeocrat

And another point being is that the "tour version" is a joke on the ignorant consumer that "thinks" he is playing the same thing as the touring pro. Like having a Porsche engine and chassis but then putting the body of a Ford Focus over it so everybody thinks he drives the Focus for its "performance".

We play a carney game. Don't be the "mark".

Well, that's one thing about a blade, lol.

Well, maybe. Are there "tour versions" of blades?