Kentucky Golf

bobgeorge

It was 18 holes, I played it 2x before it was shut down for the remodel. Decent course before hand but wasn’t usually maintained very well. Had super large greens for this area too. 

Driver:  MIZUNO ST-G 440 (9.5d) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  MIZUNO ST-G Titanium 3w (15) - Lin-Q Red 60s

Fwy:  COBRA F6 Baffler (19) - Hzrdus Red 75/6.0
Hybrid:  COBRA F7 Hybrid (22) - Tour Blue 85s

Iron:  MIZUNO Pro 245 (5 - G) - Recoil Proto 125 F4
Wedge:  MIZUNO T24 Denim Copper (54/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4     
Wedge:  TAYLORMADE Hi-Toe Copper (60/10) - Recoil Wedge Proto F4

Putter:  LAJOSI DD201 Copper Flow or MANNKRAFTED MA-55 Flow
Bag:  BENNINGTON LQO-9 Stand Bag or Ogio Silencer Cart

14 hours ago, golfgoob said:

I posted some pics of the Mammoth course on Facebook on Golf Kentucky Links page. 

Just looked at the photos. Looks like a lot of work still needs to be done.

Ping G425 Max w/Accra FX-250 M3 shaft
Taylormade AeroBurner Mini Driver 14 degree
Ping G30 5, and 7 Wood
Titlist VG3 Type-D 5-PW irons w/Nippon Zelos 7 shafts
Cleveland RTX-3 CB 48, 54, 58 (all 2 dot)
L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1 putter

16 hours ago, golfgoob said:

I posted some pics of the Mammoth course on Facebook on Golf Kentucky Links page. 

Saw those.

1 hour ago, bobgeorge said:

Just looked at the photos. Looks like a lot of work still needs to be done.

And thought the same.

I hope to at least hit the range this afternoon.  I need to find a local course around new job where I can chip and putt at lunch.  Used to do that when I worked in Springfield.

20 hours ago, smashdn said:

There is a The Walking Golfers Society event there in the fall.  I hope to make it to it.  May try and play it a few times ahead of time if they open in the summer at some point.

Does that group hold events around the state?

Ping G30 5, and 7 Wood

6 minutes ago, bobgeorge said:

Does that group hold events around the state?

National if not international group.  They try to hold them regionally every year.  This was the closest that has come around me since I have been following them.  Typically there is a mid-west around Chicago somewhere or Michigan.  I don't travel that far for golf only.

I am about 50-50 walking and riding.

When the Golf Kentucky Links website was going we tried to have an annual event somewhere.  I made it up to Lexington to play University Club one year and Spring Valley CC another.  We attempted to give Falls of Rough/Lafayette a try after it was sold and sort of re-started by the local owner.  We only had myself, a guy I normally play with and one other, David Hill (One Bearded Golfer) show up.  That was the last time there was a get together as far as I know.

You might ask there on the Facebooks about getting it back started.  There are fewer of the GKL forum guys there I think but if someone gets something arranged that isn't over in Pikeville or near Cincinnati I'll come.  There aren't/weren't very many people on that forum from down around BG so it rarely made it into the central time zone.  Getting to Louisville at 8am is a chore from here.  It is a 2 hr drive plus the time change so I am leaving a little before 5am.  Lexington is as bad as well.  I can't really do any earlier or farther because of that. 

On 3/11/2021 at 10:32 AM, eddiebigeddie said:

How does everyone feel about the 2 Ky Courses?...Wildcat & Big Blue I think are the names.

I'm late to the discussion, but I'm in Lexington now and live within 10 minutes of UK club and spitting distance from Griffin Gate and Kearney.

Kearney had some issues last year where they lost their irrigation system last year and I'm sure didn't have the funds to fix it so the fairways burnt to a crisp.  I played there this past weekend and it looks like everything is coming back well!  It is one of my favorite tracks in the area.  And (thankfully) they have opened all tee times to walk, which is super nice.

I played Big Blue on 3/13 and thought it was in fantastic shape, especially for the time of year.  No bumps on the greens and everything rolled smooth.  Played Wildcat the following weekend and I really think the layout is a blast.  Some of the holes they renovated on the backside last year are starting to come back and I think it'll look pretty good this summer!  

Haven't played Griffin Gate this year (that was my go-to last year since I live so close) because they did away with their discount card/frequent players card so you're always going to play the standard/rack rate.  I can't imagine why they did that.  Ended up getting my discount card at UK Club instead.

I haven't been to The Bull/Boone's Trace yet this year, but enjoyed the layout last year.  Same with Gibson Bay.  Thought the layout was pretty fun.

I took a few pictures of Wildcat when we were out there last month.

1b-LI2EcMLKfoKcnyo3Ithm0yfv0IGxBhEMInVScymC9r_XJ2b_dYPHEpnC1xAdfho_Sm8pmtphqVZ2ofxLSYlgqYd4RvhbEFYWQz0OZsNLt0ymVwuQuePVl8yeM8-YDh4u2taPFtAWpo3Sa4FxJQr1hh-StpWOr5OLE_zpS64dN9Z5Y8EoYp7Il6ps8VqITzys4a2SJBteJ8ihCGvE_6N_fe9rSi9LzHU3TvlzEkwv8cR0FZP72VcZf2DheJJoMPvLU90rcNFiIhp5XMo0CzJm0TApF_4Go7TzB3_iPwiROnywtHshUUFa-xwonSC2Nv2ZE4NeTaZW_-TVbDIPWMIcjyQaHSMAfxlsIvkTslNT9tHuFbyyM73hXDswCkzRSmcRca8F2eHrwpUV0LYwpT6B4UDW8762D470xPU2pYqNtMXPTWxG-wVJ_JWP0lblT-igElO6qEzOQM4ww2j-bHn7ejN5Kvc4VVmqaKAvRSf8D2nD0QsjKct7fehKdjTOMAzjJuCU1HBdIGntT7lFQzairxKlPjDnmoFMegqUgEf_XxdHLZunQHG8-xpFrpL4NRQhCv_GXdyqah5SoQVejYupY-hsjBWnrO3lf0jvTA6rkKe0oobeLFMpFs5a6zAzzxxRzcbyKmcGfpHiw649wkcmXqwjb2-vRbjfZn5_DgD6ryHad0y8Qr-jX0C38V7Q1nDOFJghamUwLCJnZbI7cnGV0=w1086-h814-no?authuser=0OddMNTDUP645-NkP61apmCwaSP3WNkT3ns7-gL9qAxYOmy1jQ5gn6GX-2GbxIBejA2CEj97YgwLs7A7GNTWCeJinW5lBbsrhAiT9EUsw8Vixk7QrYkuRRATxkMxF992URzdHZMcTNOB6ndF5O0BlLB4ELbnGTeRNBEax1WU5TyqXOdzMD-7J07RGqkcUpYc1kNLOcU8Gep0smuyeKY1UnJEW5-dZ5Lm6dga433fucCpMwL6K5zPHtkMhOJmd9qXJr1S6m-Q5XZQPZDLzpZ-KFJMvJthIb9OMm11kDxclBHyY9hP5wPUry_bxATP39cjE75zXEttJMU0ehE_mVxpxw3h-ozvK98tJCReOgV7V6Oyk5jNQfGohO6I3PqcQsRDO5fCZMTpHV7x1Z18RF0shr-QSaVZp6cOGOUWi0fL5Z3-MfERwnwDtDQsluk5Plt2BU_IUjqKkr456BeY66bRBq-O84eP0qmD2sO5IVoWyQZBP56LTn2sGmS0mlsube8WsZe-swS92FGwmaTrKyqqZjMUTgQZJJPz1IpY-Gs185GQa5uozI6ZiZZ6NUwPBE-27MegjrBKfwLGIeoTPuwTK6Znm9QBPNgDCDnL82OJvH1xOHVMqLHrNzdgSdfPjxuw-kfL3jRQpjr4x1KgdNcJE_RUVRsh2e6s8A54VKqNuQsplJXQlhp5bvk6lQke2sgBF-tGMr2TgCXLonOP63B0qJN53=w1086-h814-no?authuser=0

Edited by CactusGolf
  • Like 1

Callaway AI Smoke Max 11.5* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 15* Fujikura Ventus TR Red

Taylormade SIM DHY 19* Diamana Hybrid

Callaway Rogue ST Pro 5-PW Fujikura Axiom

Taylormade HiToe Bigfoot 52*/56*/60* Fujikura Pro

Odyssey AI-One Seven S

Callaway Chrome Tour X

WITB Link

Well I tried posting earlier and not sure what happened...but I played General Burnside State Park this morning. It’s a great track and was in very good shape. A few of the fairways were a little soggy from previous rain but a really fun track. I’m definitely gonna play it again later in the summer and probably early fall to see it in those conditions. Really enjoyed my time even though I played like CRAP 🥴 (not courses fault or difficulty)

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update on courses....Cherry Blossom is hosting the KY US Open qualify round today. Tough day with the soggy conditions from all the rain & the cold weather...but I guess the cream will still rise to the top.

Ping G30 5, and 7 Wood

On 5/5/2021 at 10:30 AM, bobgeorge said:

Just an update on courses....Cherry Blossom is hosting the KY US Open qualify round today. Tough day with the soggy conditions from all the rain & the cold weather...but I guess the cream will still rise to the top.

Just saw where the medalist was Andrew Stephens. I don't know him but he shot a 62 & that is with bogeying #18. Now that is playing GOLF 👍

Ping G30 5, and 7 Wood

• 1 year later...

Got a tee time tomorrow at Park Mammoth.  Super excited to see the course.  I did not ever play it prior to the remodel.  I am going to do my best to take pictures but I am the world's worst at doing a decent job the first couple of holes then completely forgetting to take any more while playing.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I haven’t played the redo yet but a few friends have. I’ve been there right before it opened and it looks great and luckily for you, you haven’t played it before. Everyone that’s played it before and now say it’s “NICE”, but it’s still Park Mammoth. Hope you enjoy your round. 

On 6/17/2022 at 6:57 PM, eddiebigeddie said:

I haven’t played the redo yet but a few friends have. I’ve been there right before it opened and it looks great and luckily for you, you haven’t played it before. Everyone that’s played it before and now say it’s “NICE”, but it’s still Park Mammoth. Hope you enjoy your round. 

Conditions on the course were perfect.  Dry and firm and the fairways were tight and sandy.

The wind played hell with us yesterday.  I'm going to blame the wind.  You better be on your A game driving the ball with accuracy.  The fairways are sure wide enough but the penalty when you miss is almost a sure lost ball due to the deep and thick fescue areas between holes.

Several blind shots.  A hole or two without a real clear spot where you would actually want to play to.

It is up there as one of the hardest courses I have ever played.  Don't let the par 70, 6200-ish yards from the blacks fool you, it is a damned hard course.  Especially hard if you aren't accurate off the tee.

The greens are challenging as well.  Huge slopes on most of them.  You can use them to funnel your ball nearer the hole, but misplayed, it sends your ball well away.  Got to watch your spin as if you rip it too much and it catches a slope it can go a long way.  The surrounds are kept short and dry as well.  Run a ball on or peel one right back off.

I've got pictures but can't load them off my phone.  I posted them on Golf Kentucky Links facebooks page.

Edited by smashdn
  • Like 1

Check check

• 1 month later...

Got out to Park Mammoth again over the weekend.  Despite feelings to the contrary walkers did not destroy pace of play nor the ambiance for other golfers.  Teed off at 7:20a and was taking off my shoes at the truck at 11:00.  Pretty respectable time given there are a few holes that are up a decent hill.

Fescue in the really deep rough had thickened considerably.  Had also greened back up with the recent rains.  So the contrast of the "tawny hues" of the fescue against the bermuda fairways was not as pronounced and picturesque.  The dew stayed on the fairways for the whole round.  It killed a bit of the roll out and overall the fairways were not as firm as the first trip I had around though still kept short and decently lively.  The "first cut of rough" is kept quite short, which is nice.  The course really has enough built in difficulty that it doesn't need to beat you up any more off the tee than it already does.  The holes were cut in some different locations this time around and I got myself out of position on the wrong side to miss on on two holes and paid the price of not being to stop a ball on the correct level.  It is a course that you absolutely cannot be wild off the tee and then, in order to score, you need to be on the green and in the right spot on the green.  They aren't what I would call 'sectioned" greens where you have a quadrant you need to stay in but more the type of green where you need to be really mindful to stay on the same level or below the hole to have a chance.

@eddiebigeddie get a few guys together and I will come to Glasgow or wherever this weekend and play with you guys.

ETA - I just found this > https://craigandcoyne.com/projects < and it shows the construction process and the background from David Chandler's perspective.

Edited by smashdn
Stuck the vid in there.

3 minutes ago, smashdn said:

Got out to Park Mammoth again over the weekend.  Despite feelings to the contrary walkers did not destroy pace of play nor the ambiance for other golfers.  Teed off at 7:20a and was taking off my shoes at the truck at 11:00.  Pretty respectable time given there are a few holes that are up a decent hill.

@eddiebigeddie get a few guys together and I will come to Glasgow or wherever this weekend and play with you guys.

Funny enough...this weekend my son has a High School Tourney at Park Mammoth and then Sunday is 18 yr wedding anniversary, so no golf for me this weekend.  But I'll holler soon.

2 minutes ago, smashdn said:

Good luck with the tourney at PM.  Has he played out there?  If not, and he or you want my $.02 on some of the holes I am happy to give it.

Thanks...haven't played it since the Re-do...but his Coach has as well as my good buddy so we've already plotted out most of the holes.

I haven't found any holes out there where there is a compelling reason to not be aggressive off the tee.  Meaning, there are no holes that I see where there is a great benefit to laying back to a specific spot in the fairway.  That was a discussion I had with whom I was playing with yesterday.  Most holes are eye candy but the correct play is pretty evident.  Don't lay up on number 10 if you can carry that ditch.

Yeah, basically most holes you throw it past the hole and let is funnel back (assuming pins not on the back of the green).  Also helps to be on certain sides of fairways to give angle to the green, but doesn't have to be either.  My son hits the ball a long way for a 15 yr old (280+) so most holes won't be that bad for him coming into the greens.

• 2 months later...

@smashdn Just did a search for Park Mammoth and found this thread. In looking at the course on google earth (dangerous I know), it looks exceptionally wide (like 80 yd landing areas in some places). Is that the case? I LOVE width over just about anything else in a golf course so I was looking at running up there at some point to check it out. 

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

Park Mammoth is very wide open on several holes, it’s a very friendly golf course in that regards. The thing that’s makes the course harder are the greens. They have several “areas” on most holes that can put you in 3 putt territory. Also almost every time I’ve been there the wind plays a big factor. The course kinda sits in a bowl between hills so the wind comes in the “chute” and swirls around if you will. But definitely a beautiful course to play. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, vandyfan said:

@smashdn Just did a search for Park Mammoth and found this thread. In looking at the course on google earth (dangerous I know), it looks exceptionally wide (like 80 yd landing areas in some places). Is that the case? I LOVE width over just about anything else in a golf course so I was looking at running up there at some point to check it out. 

One more thing, several greens have backstops if the pins in certain locations and you can throw the ball quite a bit behind flag and bring it back to hole. 

@eddiebigeddie, it looks like several of the holes have significant fairway tilting (i.e fairway tilts left to right or right to left 10-20 feet. Is the other challenge navigating uneven lies and such?

Mizuno STZ 230 9.5* - LIN-Q Red

Pinhawk SLF 16* 3W - Acer Velocity

Mizuno STZ 230 Hybrid 21* - LIN-Q Blue

Maltby TS1-IM 5-GW -- FST 125

Equalizer II 54* -- KBS Tour 120S

Ping Glide 4.0 58* - Nippon 115

L.A.B. Golf DF 2.1

27 minutes ago, vandyfan said:

@eddiebigeddie, it looks like several of the holes have significant fairway tilting (i.e fairway tilts left to right or right to left 10-20 feet. Is the other challenge navigating uneven lies and such?

I’ll try and give you quick hole by hole:

Hole 1: down hill with ditch across fairway about 235, not bad on lies. 
Hole 2: par 3 uphill nice backstop if pin in middle. 
Hole 3: dog leg left, fwy slopes left to right gentle and back uphill slightly. 
Hole 4: wide open and flat going in

Hole 5: wide open and flat back out 

Hole 6: somewhat dog leg left and back uphill quite a bit to green (play right side 

Hole 7: Downhill Par 3, wind play number, no wind 20 yd shorter

Hole 8: Par5 dogleg left. Slopes L to R and slightly uphill at green (slope all around green)

Hole 9: downhill a lot to landing area but then uphill to green. Nice backstop on most of green 

Hole 10: elevate tee box downhill and back up to green. 
Hole 11: downhill almost all way to green 

Hole 12: Par5 play left to other fairway, gives angle to green. 
Hole 13: coming back is mostly downhill to landing area and then flat

Hole 14: par 3 uphill plenty of room right (don’t go left)

Hole 15: downhill dog leg left slopes L to R

Hole 16: Par 3 don’t come up short 

Hole 17: Left side of fairway is sweet spot, but OB left so be careful 

Hole 18: short drivable hole with 2 tiered green. 

I say all that to say, yes there’s slope on the course but it’s not as bad as it looks, most of the slope helps the ball into spots where it’s a lot flatter and minimal slope. 

Last time we played it was for Sons high school tourney and Mr. Ky golf shot course record 62 (-8)…it’s an easier course for good golfers, but fun for recreational golfers too. 

• Thanks 1

Sorry I gave you wrong holes…we started on Hole 10 (not 1)…so the above are 10-18 and then 1-9….

sending you a PM @vandyfan

On 10/21/2022 at 2:29 PM, vandyfan said:

I would say that some holes are that way.  But, while you are not necessarily at risk of missing a fairway on some holes you can very easily get yourself into a spot where you are in a place in the fairway where you now have a blind shot to a green or a poor angle.  And, with my game anyway, angles do tend to matter there.

On 10/21/2022 at 3:37 PM, eddiebigeddie said:

Park Mammoth is very wide open on several holes, it’s a very friendly golf course in that regards. The thing that’s makes the course harder are the greens. They have several “areas” on most holes that can put you in 3 putt territory. Also almost every time I’ve been there the wind plays a big factor. The course kinda sits in a bowl between hills so the wind comes in the “chute” and swirls around if you will. But definitely a beautiful course to play. 

I am going to agree and disagree with some of this.  There are some holes that seem wide open, BUT the penalty for missing a fairway is stiff.  You are likely going to end up in some tall fescue where you are looking at either a full shot via lost ball penalty or at minimum a half shot by virtue of having to "hack it out."  Also, like I said above, you can get yourself into a bad spot in a fairway and block yourself out or leave a blind shot to a tricky green.

The greens, for the most part, do have lots of undulation and tiers or pockets where they will cut the hole.  You need to be below the hole in most all instances and on the same tier.  Ones that don't seem to be as severe to me are 1, 14, 16 and 17.  There are a couple holes out there where if you get significantly above the hole you won't be getting it within 6' due to slope.  They are however pretty receptive and if you are a high spin player you better be mindful not to rip a ball off the green or down into the wrong tier.  Holes 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 9, 12 and 13 all have greens I would say you need to be in a spot on the green to keep a three-putt from being a real possibility.

I agree with the wind being a potential issue as well.  First time I played it it was maybe 5-10 not at the course, but due to the topography there (the whole course is in a big valley) the wind was up higher, maybe 10-15, and it made a big difference.  It is oriented north to south and so are most of the holes.  The wind will come flowing down out of the north and head of the valley.

On 10/21/2022 at 4:20 PM, vandyfan said:

I didn't find it to be terrible regarding finding a flat lie save for a few holes.  Nine and ten you will though.  They are over on the west edge of the valley and slope left to right.  Hole ten is my least favorite hole on the course.  There is a ditch with deep fescue at about 250-260 off the tee.  Ditch is about 6' wide or so.  You got to be careful not to let your tee shot run into the ditch but carrying it is no guarantee hitting into a strong north wind.  If you elect to lay back there really isn't a spot that is advantageous.  Nothing remotely flat or strategic to aim to.  I don't like the hole because there just isn't much of a good decision to be had there.  You can either clear that ditch comfortably or you lay back and have a sidehill lie no matter where you hit it.  The green doesn't promote a shot to any one spot either.  If they had made just a subtle small flatish spot or two out there they would have greatly improved that hole IMO.

Nine has that same sidehill issue but the shape of the green and deep greenside bunker on the right favors the drive that hugs the left hand side of the fairway.

For a short course it plays big.  Long drives are rewarded as they will get you clear of most fairway obstacles.  But long, wild drives will get you in trouble.  I think it is an accuracy first place, but despite being rather short, you are going to pay a bit for being conservative off the tee.  The angles needed for and "greens within the green" become that much more pronounced the farther your approach shots.

Edited by smashdn
  • Like 2

This was from the first go around in June.  The fescue really had the start of the seeded out color.  The second time I played it I walked in the early morning in July or August.  The fescue had been trimmed back a shade and was far drier and wispier.  You could actually get a ball out if you could find it.  

Lots of holes that start with the tee high, play across a low section and back up to a green.  Depending upon what is in the fairway and where you hit you might see all, some or none of the green for your approach.

20220618_111407.jpg

20220618_111413.jpg

20220618_112351.jpg

20220618_112357.jpg

20220618_113222.jpg

20220618_114654.jpg

20220618_130857.jpg

20220618_130901.jpg

20220618_130914.jpg

• Like 2