Senior Duffer Bag

I have went through a lot of clubs and finally have a bag that helps me. I am 59 and hit around 200-220 on my drives. The longest iron i carry is a 6, and I really don't hit it well. I play 4,5,6 hybrids, and carry a 5 and 7 wood. I only use three wedges, pw, aw, and sw. All my irons and wedges are 2* upright. My driver is a 12* set at 11*. I just picked up a Callaway Marksman putter, and it is awesome. I want this game to be easier, not harder. I mostly use M or senior graphite shafts, and have some regular in the mix.I also just picked up the new Callaway Super Hot 55 to see if it helps with distance as claimed. My goal this year is to drop from a 17 hdcp to a 12.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Clubs identify as hacker set

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

At 64 with a bad shoulder, I've built a stupid easy to hit bag, all with senior flex shafts. Cobra Fly-Z XL 11.5 driver and a 5w, 7w, and 5h. All with the dreaded offset. Callaway XR OS 5i to SW with Project X 4.5 shafts. Still carry a 60* Vokey. There is a bit of redundancy with the 5i and 5h but I'll use the 5i if I want a bit more than the 6i and the 5h if I don't trust pushing the 5i. So far so good, and having a lot of fun.

John

I hear you.....I keep on buying classic pings hoping they have fairy dust on them! They start off well but it goes downhill quickly.....that's were I am with a set of ping eye 2s and isi k irons. Bought both and boy both are too stiff for me I'm wondering around the golf in total confusion at the moment. I can't admit that I've had 2 operations and my busted knuckle has taken its toll on my game (plus having 2 kids that I ran after every day). But I had to move to a 10 fingered grip because of my knuckle and in truth that's helped, but I feel like yourself at home with hybrids, woods and 6 iron upwards.

I love classic golf and older way of playing (been lost over the past 10 years for me) but I need help now and I seem to play better in winter when I have half a set and carry! That's my next plan if attack.....keep in simple and hope to see light at the end of the tunnel, because at present time it's looking like the channel tunnel after brexit!!!

Keep it simple and just play what works. I dont carry a 3,4 iron and have recently just had my 4 hybrid at 22 degrees chopped down about an inch to make it play more like a 4 iron and that has really really helped. Todays clubs seem to be so long and very light.

I totally agree Danny, many of my newer gamers I have popped the head off, add a brass or lead weight into the hossel. I need to be able to feel where that head is at in my swing. I actually get more distance with a little weight in the head. I use lead tape too, but don't like the way it looks. but whatever works. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I have went through a lot of clubs and finally have a bag that helps me. I am 59 and hit around 200-220 on my drives. The longest iron i carry is a 6, and I really don't hit it well. I play 4,5,6 hybrids, and carry a 5 and 7 wood. I only use three wedges, pw, aw, and sw. All my irons and wedges are 2* upright. My driver is a 12* set at 11*. I just picked up a Callaway Marksman putter, and it is awesome. I want this game to be easier, not harder. I mostly use M or senior graphite shafts, and have some regular in the mix.I also just picked up the new Callaway Super Hot 55 to see if it helps with distance as claimed. My goal this year is to drop from a 17 hdcp to a 12.

Not one thing wrong with that bag! We all get to the age and point where we do what makes playing golf more ENJOYABLE! No time for fooling around with the "Latest this or the latest that." :rolleyes:

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best
G10 Pings - D 9*, 3W 15.5*, H 18*, 4-PW, 50*, 54*, 58*
Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

My game fell apart after the last post, because I was lifting my left heel at impact, topping everything. I started planting the left heel and my game game back, but that was a real nightmare. I will get 18 in on Labor Day and see what happens. My short game has really improved!

Bag is in overhaul mode

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I had a blast today, and was pinning the ears back on the flags. For some reason I have my irons figured out for now and hitting the absolute best irons ever. I was ready to behead all the Ping iron engineers who created the G series irons, then it happened. I was topping the ball because I wasn't letting my hands finish there job of hitting the ball, I was going over the ball without getting behind it. Once I got that straight, the irons became amazing pin darts! Then I removed the Ping driver SFT, and put the R9 460 back in the bag. I shot 45 yesterday, and 41 today, from the senior tees. I could have easily gone lower, and can't wait to play again.

Bag is in overhaul mode

• 2 months later...

I thought I would give an update for the New Year. I had the flu from hell, so I am recovering from that. I picked up the M2 driver, 5 and 7 wood to try out. I really don't think they are any better than the original Rocket Ballz(fairway woods,) and are a lot shorter in club length, which I do like. I am also playing the Bridgestone Rx, but the Cally Soft seems more reliable.Now that my long game is much better, the short game is showing all it's weakness. I ripped the grip(cool huh) from the Odyssey putter , cut it an inch, and installed the grip some what counter clockwise to open the face. I was having a problem going left on putts, and this fixed the problem. If I am not careful watching my alignment, it will go right, but no where near the problem from before, with the closed face. All in all I am playing much better than before, and plan on a much better year. I did pick up a Total Gym XLS to get the old body in shape. I had one before, and really regretted getting rid of it. Once I get the new fairway woods settled in and the chipping and putting squared up, I plan on being in the eighties all the time. Happy New Year to all.

Bag is in overhaul mode

A great natural flu remedy that I used this past week is a herbal tea made from a plant called Life Everlasting, also referred to in some parts as Rabbit Tobacco. Works like a champ when boiled and a bit of honey and lemon added.

As for the putting alignment, I had leaked into a missing everything right. Played with our assistant Super, who is also a teaching pro, and he pegged my eye alignment over the ball as the culprit. Maybe check that out.

I am giving up on the Ping G irons for now. They are very accurate, but this old dude needs more distance and the G's are more for players. I ordered some AeroBurner irons that should do the trick, and I couldn't pass up on the price either. Right now is a buyers market. Who knows I may regret it as the Pings are pure magic around the greens.

Bag is in overhaul mode

I thought I would give an update for the New Year. I had the flu from hell, so I am recovering from that. I picked up the M2 driver, 5 and 7 wood to try out. I really don't think they are any better than the original Rocket Ballz(fairway woods,) and are a lot shorter in club length, which I do like. I am also playing the Bridgestone Rx, but the Cally Soft seems more reliable.Now that my long game is much better, the short game is showing all it's weakness. I ripped the grip(cool huh) from the Odyssey putter , cut it an inch, and installed the grip some what counter clockwise to open the face. I was having a problem going left on putts, and this fixed the problem. If I am not careful watching my alignment, it will go right, but no where near the problem from before, with the closed face. All in all I am playing much better than before, and plan on a much better year. I did pick up a Total Gym XLS to get the old body in shape. I had one before, and really regretted getting rid of it. Once I get the new fairway woods settled in and the chipping and putting squared up, I plan on being in the eighties all the time. Happy New Year to all.

I think most are suffering.... My whole family have had this awful chest infection and when your kids get it its a friggin nightmare. Wife went back work today and in truth she should have stayed home.....I haven't played in over 2 weeks I've been that rough. But on the up side, got load of booze bought for me, mainly brandy!!!

• 1 month later...

Hate to let the post end on a sad note, I am feeling much better and am experimenting with longer shafts in the driver. I am trying to regain lost distance(fountain of golf youth.) I need to do something as I need drives to be in the 220 average. I also just picked up a Ping G 10.5 head, and will mess around with different shafts for it.

Bag is in overhaul mode

Played today and it was windy and cold, but not crowded. I tried the Ping G again and was surprised how long it was. It was actually longer than the M2 for me. I like the M2 but this thing really flew. Now I will order another shaft for it and see what happens.

Bag is in overhaul mode