2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

Nutrition

Do you re-fuel while on the course?
I am curious of the serious golfer's on the site......do you eat and/or drink certain things while you are on the track? If so what are they and when during the round do you consume them? Not looking for wise-A** answers.....I know to drink water....but I am curious if some rountine or items may help. Thanks

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I need a little pick me up by the end of 9 holes, and a couple bites of something nutritious like an apple or a banana, and maybe a granola bar of some kind works for me. I drink no less than 32 oz of water each round, and I ride. :D

Miura PP-9003 PW-6 iron w/SmacWrap 780 F3

Taylormade Stealth 10.5* w/KBS TD 50 Oh, and Ventus Red "made for"

Taylormade SIM 2  21 degree w/Ventus Blue

Taylormade Stealth Rescue 22* w/Ventus Blue

Callaway X-Tour raw - 52 w/DG steel

Taylormade MYMG 3 - 56 w/KBS C-Taper Lite 

Dave Whitlam Anser 

First, I try to make sure I am hydrated before I play and I will keep the water flowing on the course. I always have a bar (low sugar) and a piece of fruit after 9 to make sure I maintain stable blood sugar levels. No candy bars or Gatorade, too much sugar, to prevent "crashes".

I try to make sure I get a decent breakfast with the healthy fats and slow digesting carbs as well.

Always have a Clif Bar at the turn. All natural and they taste great. I try to stay away from hot dogs and other junk as much as possible. Fruit is always good as well.

2023 WITB Driver: Titleist TSI3 9.0, Fuji Ventus TR 6x 3 Wood: Titleist TS2 15, Fuji Ventus 7x Hybrid: Titleist 818H2 21, Mitsu Tensei White 90S Irons: Titleist T100S 5-PW, DG TI 120 S400 Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM7 52, 56, 60, DG s300 Putter: SC Special Select Newport 34' 

Lots and lots of water. When I ran Cross Country in HS, my coach always told us that when we felt thirsty it was too late. I drink water all the time and almost always have a bottle in my hand on the course. Sometimes I'll switch it up with Gatorade...or I'll start with Gatorade and refill with water on the course.

For food, either bananas (fantastic source of potassium) and/or granola bars. I like the fuit and nut ones...I think they're nature valley. When I play over 18, I'll carry some Power Bars and eat those...just drink lots of water when you eat those bad boys......they're sticky.

-mini

I'm an advocate for "ripe" bananas because they are an excellent source of energy, economical, and easy to digest. Excerpts from various articles:

"The pulp of a ripe banana is essentially a sugar-rich, easily digested food. The high sugar content in a ripe banana is unusual in a fresh fruit. It supplies almost double the energy of an apple and nearly three times that of citrus fruits."

"Unripe bananas contain resistant starch, so called because it cannot be digested by the small intestine-which then ferments in the large intestine, often causing wing. Because ripe bananas are very easily digestible and rarely cause any allergic reactions, they are a popular solid food for babies. The less ripe a banana is, the higher the starch content. The riper it is, the more those starches covert into sugar. An unripe banana is around 90% starch. A ripe banana is only around 10% starch."

"If you want a quick energy booster, there's no better snack than a banana. Bananas have three natural sugars; sucrose, fructose and glucose-combined with a fiber, a banana gives an instant and sustained boost of energy. Research has proven that just two bananas provide enough energy for a strenuous 90 minute work out."

I'm an advocate for "ripe" bananas because they are an excellent sourse of energy, economical, and easy to digest. Excerpts from various articles:

"The pulp of a ripe banana is essentially a sugar-rich, easily digested food. The high sugar content in a ripe banana is unusual in a fresh fruit. It supplies almost double the energy of an apple and nearly three times that of citrus fruits."

"Unripe bananas contain resistant starch, so called because it cannot be digested by the small intestine-which then ferments in the large intestine, often causing wing. Because ripe bananas are very easily digestible and rarely cause any allergic reactions, they are a popular solid food for babies. The less ripe a banana is, the higher the starch content. The riper it is, the more those starches covert into sugar. An unripe banana is around 90% starch. A ripe banana is only around 10% starch."

"If you want a quick energy booster, there's no better snack than a banana. Bananas have three natural sugars; sucrose, fructose and glucose-combined with a fiber, a banana gives an instant and sustained boost of energy. Research has proven that just two bananas provide enough energy for a strenuous 90 minute work out."

WOW I will have to go ape over some bananas....thanks

I typically wolf down a couple power bars and water during a round but I gotta tell you a story about a on course meal I had last year. Anyone who has played golf in Japan, can probably relate to a recent round I had while I was deployed to Iwakuni. After we completed the first nine they led us to a on course restaurant. They sat us down and brought out a three course meal. It started with a small side salad with a light mayo type dressing. Then they brought out white rice, fried breaded pork (Katsu) and Yakisoba. Finally they brought out some green tea ice cream with sweet bean paste . All the while I was ordering and drinking Kerin beer. We then proceeded back out the course to finish the back nine. I ended my round 12 over. 37/ 46. I can still taste the bean paste coming up during my back swings on the back nine. At the 16th tee box all I wanted to do was crawl up next to a tree and take a nap... Good times.

How do you guys keep your bananas from becoming mush?

Ya, always love a nice ripe banana but you try putting that in a bag for any length of time and it's smushed and brown. That really bums me out. A good solution is the peanut-butter & banana sandwich, with maybe a little drizzle of honey. It is a really good nutrition solution for golfing or any kind of excursion, really.

You sir, are clearly a gentleman of good taste and solid breeding.

(maybe a little whipped or creamed honey instead of liquid, so it won't get quite as soggy).

Now, what kind of bread?

(I'm definitely going to Whole Foods this weekend and getting some fresh peanut butter.)

Prior to Round:

1 - Multi Vitamin

1 - Fish oil Gel Tab

1 - Anti Oxident

stretch

During Round:

2 - 20oz bottles of Water + Amino Vital

2 - Bananas

2 - Cliff Bars

Keep loose

After Round:

1 - Italian Hoagie

1- Muscle Milk

stretch

Finish the day with hot shower and the chill with the kids!

Callaway XR Pro 9* Mitsubishi Fubuki zt 70x tipped .5"
Callaway XR Pro 14* Mitsubishi Fubuki z-fw 85x
Mizuno MP- 33 3-pw KBS-Tour x stepped x 2
Nike VR Forged 52*,56*,60*
Mizuno Bettinardi C-03 Blade @ 33"
Titleist Prov1x

I'm impressed, I could never actually get organized enough to make a banana/peanut butter and whipped honey sandwich in advance. Not to mention the fact that I just dry heaved thinking about choking something like that down! :bad:

Trust me, it's acutally tasty. Don't overdo it with the honey though unless you are going for a full on PB and Honey sandwich.

I'm an advocate for "ripe" bananas because they are an excellent sourse of energy, economical, and easy to digest. Excerpts from various articles:

WOW I will have to go ape over some bananas....thanks

I already have. :bad:

When walking on hot days, I carry a 1 liter Gatorade. I might pick up more from the cart girl if I'm sweating.

5 hours moderate walking on a hot day = at least 1 liter of fluid loss. The calories and minerals in the Gatorade are optional -- they're not strictly necessary, but they help with uptake of the water in your gut.