Scottish Links Gems

jay65

I just wanted to share some pics for you guys of 2 little gems of Golf Courses in Scotland for anyone who doesn't want feel the need to followed the cliched route to St Andrews, Turnberry or Trump Links.

The first 8 pics are of Dunaverty Golf Club on Kintyre just a few miles down the road from Machrihanish. This staggeringly beautiful Golf Course is only 5000 yards Par 66, but don't let that put you off because as you can see, the enigmatic ambience of the place is second to none in Scotland in my experience of playing over 40 Scottish Links Courses. The welcome is wonderful, and for £28 a round, you won't spend your hard earned any better than this in my opinion. And as a side note the Greens at Dunaverty GC are the best I've played on anywhere......and I mean anywhere! Who needs Kingsbarns or Pebble Beach?

The second batch of 4 photos are of another little gem, Kilspindie in East Lothian, just East of Edinburgh, once again very short, but when the wind gets up, as it does most of the time, you better still bring your 'A' game.

I hope this may wet the appetite of a few of you guys who are considering coming over to Scotland, but may want to try something a little 'left field' of the normal 'big guns'. Come over and play these little Courses, they're absolutely wonderful. I promise you that you will go away with Golfing memories to cherish!

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree that Dunaverty is a lovely golf course in a beautiful setting. The Championship course at Machrahanish is better known and deserving of its reputation If in Kintyre with only the time or inclination to play 2 courses this should be Dunaverty and Machrahanish.

Machrahanish Dunes by contrast lacks only clowns and windmills enough for Crazy Golf.

I agree that Dunaverty is a lovely golf course in a beautiful setting. The Championship course at Machrahanish is better known and deserving of its reputation If in Kintyre with only the time or inclination to play 2 courses this should be Dunaverty and Machrahanish.

Machrahanish Dunes by contrast lacks only clowns and windmills enough for Crazy Golf.

I didn't mind Dunes actaully. Sure, it's a hell of a walk, but the flora and fauna make it interesting enough. The Championship Course at Machrihanish has great Green complexes that are masterfully designed, and will still test todays' equipment 'advances', especially if you get on the wrong side of the fairways, or miss the Greens. Even if the Head Pro is the most miserable ignorant individual in Christendom! Lol.

But for pure all round joy, from the welcome, the setting, and the course condition, I'd happily play Dunaverty for the rest of my Golfing days to be honest.

I didn't mind Dunes actaully. Sure, it's a hell of a walk, but the flora and fauna make it interesting enough. The Championship Course at Machrihanish has great Green complexes that are masterfully designed, and will still test todays' equipment 'advances', especially if you get on the wrong side of the fairways, or miss the Greens. Even if the Head Pro is the most miserable ignorant individual in Christendom! Lol.

But for pure all round joy, from the welcome, the setting, and the course condition, I'd happily play Dunaverty for the rest of my Golfing days to be honest.

The blonde wifie in the pro-shop is brusque to the point of rudeness as well.

Great pictures

Callaway Epic MAX 10.5*
Callaway Mavrik MAX 15*
Taylor Made M4 19* & 22* hybrids
PING G410 5-U w/DG 105s 
Cleveland RTX 54* & 58*
Odyssey Stroke Lab Big Seven Toe Up vs MEZZ1 vs Seemore
Precision Pro Nx7 Pro, Garmin S60 (watch)

https://forums.golfwrx.com/discussion/1580770/recaps-the-taylormade-twistfaceexperience-7-golfwrx-members-visit-the-kingdom-for-an-exclusive-m3/p1

The blonde wifie in the pro-shop is brusque to the point of rudeness as well.

Well, I won't be going back to play Machrihanish, purely because of the reception we had. My 6yo son was scared to go back there after how he was spoken to by the Head Pro. Sure, the Club Captain tried to apologise, but I never did receive a personal apology from the Head Pro, and it kinda left a bitter taste in the mouth to be honest. I know some people aren't bothered by stuff like that, but for me, If I'm going to spend my hard earned, it's about the whole experience. And the welcome is a part of that. The difference in the warm congenial welcome we had by the staff and members at Dunaverty was stark in comparison, they couldn't be more divergent.

We're off up to St Andrews again next February, then back to East Lothian for 2 weeks in the Summer. So plenty of good golf to come.

• 2 weeks later...

I'd love to know what part of Machrihanish Dunes only lacks windmills and clowns heads? The Dunes is a smashing track. Some outstanding holes and greens plus a welcome that Machrihanish can only dream of.

Machrihanish Dunes is 100% natural. No earth was moved when laying the course out through the natural contours of the land. Only greens and tees were constructed. The course is still a work in progress and some holes have been "softened" and others have been tweaked here and there as the course feedback comes in and the course settles into its surroundings. There is further work planned too. No course gets it 100% right at the first attempt.

I wonder when the poster last played at the Dunes as its in outstanding condition at present. Send me a message and I'll happily sign you on for another round.

Jay, I'm glad you made it to Dunaverty and i'm truly sorry about your bad customer experience at Machrihanish GC.

Hopefully the Dunes and Dunaverty will make you want to come back again.

All the best,

Crawford

Ping G430 Max 9* - Accra shaft

Ping G430 5 & 7 Woods Kai'li White

Ping iCrossover 3 Kai'li White

Ping i525 5-U Recoils

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

PXG Bat Attack

:smilie_ping:

I'd love to know what part of Machrihanish Dunes only lacks windmills and clowns heads? The Dunes is a smashing track. Some outstanding holes and greens plus a welcome that Machrihanish can only dream of.

Machrihanish Dunes is 100% natural. No earth was moved when laying the course out through the natural contours of the land. Only greens and tees were constructed. The course is still a work in progress and some holes have been "softened" and others have been tweaked here and there as the course feedback comes in and the course settles into its surroundings. There is further work planned too. No course gets it 100% right at the first attempt.

I wonder when the poster last played at the Dunes as its in outstanding condition at present. Send me a message and I'll happily sign you on for another round.

Jay, I'm glad you made it to Dunaverty and i'm truly sorry about your bad customer experience at Machrihanish GC.

All the best,

Crawford

Hi Crawford,

Nice to hear from you. I think Dunaverty on the last full day we were there really made up for things at Machrihanish GC to be honest. I can't fault the Course itself at Machrihanish, and the Green complexes rank right up there with Dornoch, but the customer service was a disgrace to be truthful.

I quite enjoyed Mach Dunes to be honest, I've played a lot worse! Sure, it's a long 'ol walk, as many attest and moan about, but what would you rather be doing I ask myself? A nice walk amongst the Flora and Fauna and stunning Dune systems of Kintyre, or flogging ya guts out at work? Hmmmm, let me think about that for a while..........

Have you been down to Dunaverty lately? Honestly, the Greens are the best I have played anywhere in Scotland in fact they're the best anywhere I've played, full stop. Billiard tables! Fantastic Members, And £200 a year for Membership? I mean come on....Let the visiting 'sheep' flock over to St Andrews all they like, but I'll take Dunaverty over any Course in Fife

Not sure if we will be visitors again to the area................next time it maybe as residents, we're seriously thinking about it.

All the best,

Crawford

We played it twice at the begining of August. Foolishly we were taken in by the PR and had expected something special. (If we had chanced on it as a hidden gem and paid £25 to play it we might have been more kindly disposed.)

There are too many blind holes and too many blind approaches. Also too many dog legs I thought. Some of the greens are just silly in my view. When we played on the Sunday it was frankly scruffy. When we went back on the Tuesday the greens had been cut and the fairways were being cut. It looked less like it had been abandoned. The tee to green walks hadn't got any shorter though and and the 18th hole was still Mickey Mouse.

The guy who was doing the cooking in the clubhouse insisted on taking us to the first tee where he gave us detailed instructions on how to navigate the first 6 holes. We became increasingly anxious, worrying that he was going to explain the full 18 and then set a quiz. It was quite funny but not I think a welcome to dream of.

Wouldn't want to play it again, though thanks for your kind offer.

All the best,

Crawford

We played it twice at the begining of August. Foolishly we were taken in by the PR and had expected something special. (If we had chanced on it as a hidden gem and paid £25 to play it we might have been more kindly disposed.)

There are too many blind holes and too many blind approaches. Also too many dog legs I thought. Some of the greens are just silly in my view. When we played on the Sunday it was frankly scruffy. When we went back on the Tuesday the greens had been cut and the fairways were being cut. It looked less like it had been abandoned. The tee to green walks hadn't got any shorter though and and the 18th hole was still Mickey Mouse.

The guy who was doing the cooking in the clubhouse insisted on taking us to the first tee where he gave us detailed instructions on how to navigate the first 6 holes. We became increasingly anxious, worrying that he was going to explain the full 18 and then set a quiz. It was quite funny but not I think a welcome to dream of.

Just as a matter of interest, what did you 'shoot' around Dunes?

All the best,

Crawford

First time playing off the Yellow Tees in still, warm, sunny conditions had 33 S'ford points with no non-counters. Pleased enough with the round not least because I putted well. On our return there was a 2 club wind. We played 4 ball matchplay. Didn't keep score but I would have struggled to break 90, probably nearer 95.

All the best,

Crawford

First time playing off the Yellow Tees in still, warm, sunny conditions had 33 S'ford points with no non-counters. Pleased enough with the round not least because I putted well. On our return there was a 2 club wind. We played 4 ball matchplay. Didn't keep score but I would have struggled to break 90, probably nearer 95.

It's just that I have found in general in the past, that if I play somewhere, and shoot a higher score and not play well, I have tended to not like the Course, and rate it accordingly in my mind. I think it's a human nature thing. I do try very hard these days not do do that, simply enjoy the round regardless. But I'm not perfect in that respect. I know a few years ago when I first played North Berwick, shot 84, and hated the track, didn't understand what all the fuss was about. Then played it 2 years ago, shot 74 and thought it was one of the best Courses I've played, thought I really understood it better.

Generally these days I am less fickle than I used to be. But I'm still human. I think the one huge exception is Prestwick, which I have played about a dozen times now, lowest score has been 78, highest score? Lost count! Seriously though, I never play that well around there, but loved it from the moment I first stepped on the 1st tee, and still love it today.

All I'm really saying is that there can be a scoring sentiment in our personal judgements of Golf Course sometimes. :taunt:

All the best,

Crawford

It's just that I have found in general in the past, that if I play somewhere, and shoot a higher score and not play well, I have tended to not like the Course, and rate it accordingly in my mind. I think it's a human nature thing. I do try very hard these days not do do that, simply enjoy the round regardless. But I'm not perfect in that respect. I know a few years ago when I first played North Berwick, shot 84, and hated the track, didn't understand what all the fuss was about. Then played it 2 years ago, shot 74 and thought it was one of the best Courses I've played, thought I really understood it better.

Generally these days I am less fickle than I used to be. But I'm still human. I think the one huge exception is Prestwick, which I have played about a dozen times now, lowest score has been 78, highest score? Lost count! Seriously though, I never play that well around there, but loved it from the moment I first stepped on the 1st tee, and still love it today.

All I'm really saying is that there can be a scoring sentiment in our personal judgements of Golf Course sometimes. :taunt:

Of course you're right but I played well enough by my modest standards. I think what I'm reacting against is the hype. It's different, but I don't think it's very good and some of it just seemed silly. I'd happily play Machrahanish again or spend a week at Dunaverty. I wouldn't want to go back to the Dunes though and I wouldn'y be totally surprised if in 20 years or less it had gone back to nature. Other opinions are available.

There were times at Machrihanish when I stood on a couple of tees, and thought 'right, where the hell am I hitting this ball?'. So I think Machrihanish has it's fair share of blind shots too, to be fair. Same with Dunaverty. On one hole, I aimed at a 12ft high red and white post plonked on the edge of what looked like the end of the world. Hit 7 iron, struck it well, but pushed it 15 yards left (I'm a lefty), 'oh dear' I thought, or words to that effect, only to come over the dune to find it 8ft from the pin, due to the punch bowl nature of the Green. so that was a bit of lottery too. Still loved it though!

Hang on.......scratch all that nonsense, having now reached 50yo, I'm just happy with the tiniest of pleasures I guess. so all Golf courses are fantastic! :cheesy:

Dog Legs

1st - NO,

2nd - YES

3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th,7th (maybe slightly), 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th - NO

17th - YES

18th - NO

Two, possibly 3 dog legs. Also what is wrong with dog legs?

Blind Tee Shots

1st - Yes, straight over a marker pole.

2nd through to 6th - NO.

7th - Yes and not really a great driving hole.

8th - 14th - NO

15th - although you can see part of the fairway and the line is obvious I will concede that you can't see your ball land. - YES

16th - NO

17th - Yes, however hence why I was asking when you last played the course as this hole has seen the dune lowered and the tee heightened to give you a better perspective of the hole. My opinion its the worst hole on the course.

18th - NO

4 blind tee shots, hardly excessive for a links course that snakes in and out of the natural dune system.

Blind Approach Shots

1st - 3rd - No

4th - no unless your not accurate with your tee shot. Hole rewards a good tee shot.

5th - 8th - No

9th - only blind if you hit a poor drive, get your drive away it's not a blind approach.

10th - first real blind approach hitting into a sunken punch bowl.

11th & 12th - No

13th - Yes hitting into a sunken swell/bowl.

14 - 17th - No

18th - like 9th rewards a good drive with a view of the green.

Only two real blind approaches. Could rise to five if you don't get the drive in the correct position. Like all golf courses, good drives gain the rewards. Pilot error should be punished.

Therefore I will ask you again, where are the clowns faces and windmills that your talking nonsense about?

I can appreciate an honest evaluation of any golf course and more than happy to accept differing views however when its just nonsense that is written then I think I'm quite within my rights to question your derogatory remarks. Also as for your last remark about the Dunes returning to natural wasteland again your sadly mistaken.

Ping G430 Max 9* - Accra shaft

Ping G430 5 & 7 Woods Kai'li White

Ping iCrossover 3 Kai'li White

Ping i525 5-U Recoils

Ping Glide 4.0 54/58

PXG Bat Attack

:smilie_ping:

Dog Legs

1st - NO,

2nd - YES

3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th,7th (maybe slightly), 8th, 9th, 10th, 11th, 12th, 13th, 14th, 15th, 16th - NO

17th - YES

18th - NO

Two, possibly 3 dog legs. Also what is wrong with dog legs?

Blind Tee Shots

1st - Yes, straight over a marker pole.

2nd through to 6th - NO.

7th - Yes and not really a great driving hole.

8th - 14th - NO

15th - although you can see part of the fairway and the line is obvious I will concede that you can't see your ball land. - YES

16th - NO

17th - Yes, however hence why I was asking when you last played the course as this hole has seen the dune lowered and the tee heightened to give you a better perspective of the hole. My opinion its the worst hole on the course.

18th - NO

4 blind tee shots, hardly excessive for a links course that snakes in and out of the natural dune system.

Blind Approach Shots

1st - 3rd - No

4th - no unless your not accurate with your tee shot. Hole rewards a good tee shot.

5th - 8th - No

9th - only blind if you hit a poor drive, get your drive away it's not a blind approach.

10th - first real blind approach hitting into a sunken punch bowl.

11th & 12th - No

13th - Yes hitting into a sunken swell/bowl.

14 - 17th - No

18th - like 9th rewards a good drive with a view of the green.

Only two real blind approaches. Could rise to five if you don't get the drive in the correct position. Like all golf courses, good drives gain the rewards. Pilot error should be punished.

Therefore I will ask you again, where are the clowns faces and windmills that your talking nonsense about?

I can appreciate an honest evaluation of any golf course and more than happy to accept differing views however when its just nonsense that is written then I think I'm quite within my rights to question your derogatory remarks. Also as for your last remark about the Dunes returning to natural wasteland again your sadly mistaken.

Of course you are within your rights and, as I said, other opinions are available. Have a good one!

My trip around Scotland will be primarily over links courses and I am resigned to the unknowns...uphill blind shots, doglegs, the moguls kicking well played shots to ??? and pot bunkers sucking up shots with regularity.

...my stocking cap that will keep my bald peak warm reads... "a series of unfortunate events" .... PERFECT

I've a few courses here with fairways tilting to ponds, so I'm used playing away from the trouble I know lurks there.

I will play at least one course twice...Gulane#3 in one day...and some courses (Durness and Traigh) are 9-hole affairs played twice for a round.

I may play a few others more than once, Braid Hills and Tain, to give me a sense of predictability for SOME rounds....that would be nice.

TM SLDR-430/10.5 @ 12°, OEM speeder 57R
08 Burner 3w/5w 49g M/sr flex
Cobra TWS Hybrids H3/H4 A-flex 60g
Cobra SS-i irons Penley Graphite Light-R
Cleve 588-49LowBounce,900-54LB,588-57LB
TM Spider 72M
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1061239-katbirds-bag-of-sticks/"]WITB Link[/url]

As someone who can't wait to get back to Scotland for a dedicated golf trip. First trip was more castles and such with wife and one of the children.

Thank you so much for the pics and the course reviews (even if y'all are not exactly in agreement)

Actually I am in perfect agreement...............with myself! :cheesy: . Seriously though, there are some simply wonderful Courses away from the 'usual suspects' and I wish you guys would come over and not simply head straight for St Andrews.

So I decided to have a look at the Machrihanish courses on their websites to see what everyone was talking about. On theMachrihanish home page it says this:

The classic links holes, apart from the 1st, are the 5th, another par four with its fairway like an elephant's graveyard, the 10th, a clever dogleg par five and the 15th, a "one shotter" with real difficulty if the elusive green is missed from the tee.

What on earth does that mean? A fairway like an elephant's graveyard? Is it littered with ivory tusks? Does Tarzan wander along it with Cheetah looking for lost African civilizations?

Anyway, for the record, I'd happily play any of those three courses at the drop of a hat.

So I decided to have a look at the Machrihanish courses on their websites to see what everyone was talking about. On theMachrihanish home page it says this:

The classic links holes, apart from the 1st, are the 5th, another par four with its fairway like an elephant's graveyard, the 10th, a clever dogleg par five and the 15th, a "one shotter" with real difficulty if the elusive green is missed from the tee.

What on earth does that mean? A fairway like an elephant's graveyard? Is it littered with ivory tusks? Does Tarzan wander along it with Cheetah looking for lost African civilizations?

Anyway, for the record, I'd happily play any of those three courses at the drop of a hat.

Lol. No, an elephants graveyard is a Fairway which jokingly looks as if elephants have been buried in it (but in very shallow graves), resulting in a fairway that is extremely 'up n down'. Typical Links stuff really. You can get some very odd stances in such fairways. All good fun though! :taunt:

Lol. No, an elephants graveyard is a Fairway which jokingly looks as if elephants have been buried in it (but in very shallow graves), resulting in a fairway that is extremely 'up n down'. Typical Links stuff really. You can get some very odd stances in such fairways. All good fun though! :taunt:

Well, I was close!

Thanks for the explanation. I have never heard a fairway described like that before. Kind of disappointed that Tarzan isn't involved, though....

Well, I was close!

Thanks for the explanation. I have never heard a fairway described like that before. Kind of disappointed that Tarzan isn't involved, though....

Well, get ya self over there. I have a good contact for cheap but comfortable accommodation, and can point anyone in the right direction re travel too. :taunt:

Well, I was close!

Well, get ya self over there. I have a good contact for cheap but comfortable accommodation, and can point anyone in the right direction re travel too. :taunt:

I'd love to go up to Scotland to golf again. The last time I did it was 25 years ago when I was still in school. The hurdles are higher now. Back then, it was just a question of persuading parents that three 17-year-old lads would be alright on their own in Scotland for a few days. Now I have a more formidable obstacle to negotiate around: a non-golfing wife.

Plus, back then it was just a three or four hour train ride. Now it's bit further for me...

Well, I was close!

I'd love to go up to Scotland to golf again. The last time I did it was 25 years ago when I was still in school. The hurdles are higher now. Back then, it was just a question of persuading parents that three 17-year-old lads would be alright on their own in Scotland for a few days. Now I have a more formidable obstacle to negotiate around: a non-golfing wife.

Plus, back then it was just a three or four hour train ride. Now it's bit further for me...

Yes, I can see that. I'd try and throw a few hints around....you know the kind of thing.......Loch Ness Monster, Castles, Mountains, Glens, history, Whiskey, all that ol' guff, then be simply planning the golf behind the scenes, then you can answer her as to why you're taking your Golf Clubs when you're on the way to the airport???!!! Haha.

Yes, I can see that. I'd try and throw a few hints around....you know the kind of thing.......Loch Ness Monster, Castles, Mountains, Glens, history, Whiskey, all that ol' guff, then be simply planning the golf behind the scenes, then you can answer her as to why you're taking your Golf Clubs when you're on the way to the airport???!!! Haha.

Talk of a rugged chap called Glen with a monster "loch" might get her interested, yes.

Talk of a rugged chap called Glen with a monster "loch" might get her interested, yes.

Whatever it takes my friend..........whatever it takes! Lol.