2024 Fedex St Jude WITB Photos ×

Am I the only one on this forum...

Sean2

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since the beginning, a lot of people seam to forget one thing: we’re talking about only one physical (and technical) thing here :cheesy: !!! I’m sure there’re many people here who can beat Vijay on distance, no doubt for me: it's “only†physical :cheesy: . But why he's on the PGA and not us: golf is more than only “hormonal†power :cheesy: :beach:

As example, just remember the guy in "Major League" who can hit bomb, but always got strike out! Same as gymnastic, you can the best on one apparel, but you have to perform on all to win (overall of course)!

My "philosophical" 2c :good:

I have hit plenty of 300 yard drives, but I do not average 300+.

Besides, I would much rather be in the fairway.

I'd rather do both--longer than my playing partners, and in the fairway. Why does it have to be one or the other?

You guys may think score is the important number, but this 6 page thread proves that it's not. It's how long you are, and how much further you go than your buddies. Swing harder! If you're not ripping shoelaces, you're not swinging hard enough!

Guys,

The published average driving distance on the PGA, LPGA, Champion, Nike Tour is the "distance carried" not counting the roll. And that including teeing off with a fairway wood or iron on par 4's and par 5's

I had seen these guys up-close and anyone of them could boom it over 300 yards if they go for it. This including the smaller guys on the PGA Tour.

I'm a 102-104, when I warmed up, but I could only carry 250-260 on that. I do play with a lot of guys who could out drive me by 20-30 yards, and they own a good short game.

I have hit plenty of 300 yard drives, but I do not average 300+.

Besides, I would much rather be in the fairway.

I'd rather do both--longer than my playing partners, and in the fairway. Why does it have to be one or the other?

You guys may think score is the important number, but this 6 page thread proves that it's not. It's how long you are, and how much further you go than your buddies. Swing harder! If you're not ripping shoelaces, you're not swinging hard enough!

I never said it had to be one or the other, I was just saying I would rather be in the fairway than the trees.

@ Deepballer. Im not saying 300 yard drives are unattainable, I have hit maybe one when the conditions help me out a bit. Im just saying it is VERY unlikely that 1/10th of the people that say they average 290-280 off the tee are either telling the truth, or actually measuring drives correctly. Look at a guy like Vijay. The man hits golf balls all day, and when he isn't hitting, he is working out or stretching. The golfdigest with his swing chopped up said he averages 286. So we have hundreds of people on this forum that are better ballstrikers then Vijay? Sounds a little hard to beleive.

Not saying it is anyone in particular. But it is a rididculous debate.

Here are two examples.

One- I go out as a single and get paired up with a guy who is bombing the ball LONG!

We get to a hole, a 324 par 4 which is playing up 4 yards. So it's 320 to the center.

This guy hits a whore of a BOMB and carries the front of the green and rolls off the back. Very small green.

"That was a 330 yard carry" he boldly says.

315 carry, maybe less and 330 total! And he did it all day exceapt when I outdrive him on three holes.

Another one - I am at a family B-day party and my brother is there too.

I've golfed plenty with my brother and have never seen him hit a single 300 yard drive ever, maybe 270 once and avg is probably 240 yards. But he is straight time and again and has a good short game.

A girl starts talking golf and asks what's his good shot is?..."I'd say about 300 yards"

Than he looks at me to validate it. No way!

People lie. It's true.

So it's given when swarms of posters are saying they hit the ball 300+ on avg. alot of people are fulla...

But you also get alot of other posters who swear it is impossible and only pros can do it!

And some people have never seen someone hit 300 yard drives? Thats weird! There are alot of bombers everywhere nowadays!

I would suggest it really doesn't matter how long a person is off the tee. The scorecard doesn't care. At the end of the day it's the score that matters, not how long a drive(s) went. I've never seen a category for how long a person hits his drives on the scorecard.

I'm more impressed with a golfer who shoots in the 70s then some guy who brags about his 300+ yard drives and shoots in the 90s. Just my opinion. All the single digit handicappers I know don't come close to 300 yards, more like 260 to 280.

I would suggest it really doesn't matter how long a person is off the tee. The scorecard doesn't care. At the end of the day it's the score that matters, not how long a drive(s) went. I've never seen a category for how long a person hits his drives on the scorecard.

I'm more impressed with a golfer who shoots in the 70s then some guy who brags about his 300+ yard drives and shoots in the 90s. Just my opinion. All the single digit handicappers I know don't come close to 300 yards, more like 260 to 280.

Well said.

That's part of the reason why I'm in such amazement. It seems like if you can hit the ball more than 250 somewhat straight, you should be shooting in the 70s pretty consistently.

I'll admit, I occasionally get fanatical about hitting the ball 290+, but I seem to play my best golf with a ho-hum 260 all day long.

Guys,

The published average driving distance on the PGA, LPGA, Champion, Nike Tour is the "distance carried" not counting the roll. And that including teeing off with a fairway wood or iron on par 4's and par 5's

I had seen these guys up-close and anyone of them could boom it over 300 yards if they go for it. This including the smaller guys on the PGA Tour.

I'm a 102-104, when I warmed up, but I could only carry 250-260 on that. I do play with a lot of guys who could out drive me by 20-30 yards, and they own a good short game.

That is actually incorrect. I have played in a PGA tour event at Doral and my measured drives were averaged over two holes that were selected by the PGA TOUR. They were painted, although they may not do this anymore, and where your ball was, the marker that was with your group either wrote it down or radioed it in. My two drives on day one were 320 and 285, giving me a Day one average of 302ish.

I can assure you that I cannot carry the ball 320. But I do hit it over 3 bills from time to time. But when it comes down to it, it does not matter. The only thing that matters is who collects the cash at the end of the day, no matter how you achieve that on the golf course....bomb and gouge or plot around the track like a surgeon.

DG

Driver: TM M4 Tour Issue
3W: Rogue
Hybrid: TEE
Irons: Callaway Apex Pro
54, 58 TM MG tour issue raw
Putter: PXG Gunboat H

Before I upgraded my driver I was around 270, now on a perfect tee shot I'm right about 300.

A few weeks back I walked into a Golfsmith to swing some drivers and I walked up to the sim to watch someone hit a few balls. He was getting some good distance, around 300 every shot. When he was finished I walked up to hit a few and on my very first drive I hit one 357 yards! I looked back at my spectators to see their jaws on the ground. I looked at one of the guys working there and said, "uhhh.. I think your machine is broken." After a few minutes of peeping around the preferences he noticed the altitude was set at 15,000 feet... hahahahaha.

true 300 yards net under normal (conditions) is an extremely long ball that almost always catches my attention when I see someone do it. My buddy who possesses a pure swing does it occassionally and it is awe inspiring. I am an obsessed golfer playing or practicing 5-6 times a week year round. I get it out there 260-270 farily often and most people are going "you crushed it!" when I do.

The golfwrx population is not the average golfer, however, I can't help but think that the reality is that most people (certainly, not all) are over-estimating their distances by an appreciable amount.

In the end, none of it matters. You can only lose money with the driver. The putter is where the action is.

Not at all, on flat, normal ground I max out at 270. I'm going make sure my son/daughter grows up swinging hard though -- you can learn to dial it back, but you can't learn big distance once you get too far in.

I agree with what you are saying here about teaching kids to hit it hard , but two things have to go with this . Make sure they no where the speed comes from and they can maintain balance along with the speed. If you can not do that get someone that can.

Guys,

That is actually incorrect. I have played in a PGA tour event at Doral and my measured drives were averaged over two holes that were selected by the PGA TOUR. They were painted, although they may not do this anymore, and where your ball was, the marker that was with your group either wrote it down or radioed it in. My two drives on day one were 320 and 285, giving me a Day one average of 302ish.

I can assure you that I cannot carry the ball 320. But I do hit it over 3 bills from time to time. But when it comes down to it, it does not matter. The only thing that matters is who collects the cash at the end of the day, no matter how you achieve that on the golf course....bomb and gouge or plot around the track like a surgeon.

DG

Thanks I believe in this very thread I posted similar information that they measure on two holes. Often one will be downwind the other into. At Oakwood when I was there they chose two holes that ran paralell gor just that reason.

Unless you are on the tour making money the only thing that matters is how much you enjoy the game.

For some it is more important to bomb it and others like to score well.

The lucky ones do both.

Either way you slice it everyone is out there for their own reason!

Score really means sh@t!

I'd rather hit 310+ drives a round and score 80 than 260 and 75. That's just me!

Now keep in mind that's just what I'd prefere. I'm not belonging to 300 avg. club.

Close but not a true avg. I'm sure of it!

For those of you that can bomb it 300+ yds on occasion (including myself)... CONGRATS. For those who can't, I'm sure many are still playing to single digit handicaps, probably more so than the bombers.

Either way, golf is a game, and golfers come in all shapes and sizes. There are people that reposition their balls out of the rough, pick up 6 footers and call it bogey, and lie about their distances all day long. But this should not hurt the integrity of the ones that are true to the game.

If you witness a perfectly struck ball, especially off the tee, you should never hate... and always CONGRATULATE!! Gotta give it up to those that are talented and work hard at this ever elusive sport.

For those of you that can bomb it 300+ yds on occasion (including myself)... CONGRATS. For those who can't, I'm sure many are still playing to single digit handicaps, probably more so than the bombers.

Either way, golf is a game, and golfers come in all shapes and sizes. There are people that reposition their balls out of the rough, pick up 6 footers and call it bogey, and lie about their distances all day long. But this should not hurt the integrity of the ones that are true to the game.

If you witness a perfectly struck ball, especially off the tee, you should never hate... and always CONGRATULATE!! Gotta give it up to those that are talented and work hard at this ever elusive sport.

Amen!

You know I would tend to believe that accuracy is slightly more important than distance.

Yet as I get older and shorter I appreciate what it was like when I could reach all the par fives in two.

Harnessed power can be a great advantage.

But the bottom line is if I developed a driver that guaranteed you ten more yards and no loss of accuracy

for $500 dollars no gimmicks this is the real deal how many could I sell?

How about all I could make.

Guys,

I'm not saying you're wrong (okay, I am but don't take it personally ;) ) but of course the driving distances include roll. Even if you could measure just carry, and there isn't any way to do that consistently today, it wouldn't be useful. Some hit it high will less roll, others, like most LPGA players, hit it low draws with lots of roll.

You are correct that the distances include teeing off with any club, not just drivers.

You know I would tend to believe that accuracy is slightly more important than distance.

Yet as I get older and shorter I appreciate what it was like when I could reach all the par fives in two.

Harnessed power can be a great advantage.

But the bottom line is if I developed a driver that guaranteed you ten more yards and no loss of accuracy

for $500 dollars no gimmicks this is the real deal how many could I sell?

How about all I could make.

What if I bought three?

Guys,

DG

Woops, That's what I meant to say, the average of 2 designated holes for measuring driving distance.

I meant whether you hit a long iron tor driver, it's measured the average of the 2 and add on to the annual statistics.

Thanks for correcting my mistake.

It must be a manly thing for us to wish to be the "longest" drive out there.

Yes, I remember the one whom wear skirt in the Skins Game one year being the shortest driver even behind Annika Sorrenstam ( Fred Funk, 2005 ), went home with most the price money and the rest went home with their laughter.

Guys,

I'm not saying you're wrong (okay, I am but don't take it personally ;) ) but of course the driving distances include roll. Even if you could measure just carry, and there isn't any way to do that consistently today, it wouldn't be useful. Some hit it high will less roll, others, like most LPGA players, hit it low draws with lots of roll.

You are correct that the distances include teeing off with any club, not just drivers.

The only number I am interested in with any club is carry. If there's a trap, dog leg or hazard I need to know I can carry it over not roll it into it.

I can see how counting roll would make the distance look much sexier but it's an almost useless number. I know how far my clubs carry. How far they roll will vary greatly.

Man some of you guys can't see the forest for the trees! We're not talking about scoring, carry vs. roll, average vs. best, ying vs. yang, great taste or less filling.

This thread is: Can you come close to hitting 300 yard drives? Answer: yes, it's easy

Think the pros have a hard time hitting 300? Think again...

http://www.worldgolfchampionships.com/r/st...urrent/159.html