How much of a moron does this make me?

cloudlx

Yesterday I left my pitching wedge on the 17th green. I am so mad at myself because of it! I left the ball about 5yds in front of the green, I grabbed my pitching wedge and my putter, tossed the wedge in the direction of my bag after the pitch, went and made the putt, then left the wedge there on the ground.

The sad thing is is that I know who took it, I had gotten into a bit of a discussion with the foursome in front of me that didn't go well. I waited almost 15min for them to clear the fairway on 14, about a 450yd par 4. Basically it was line up and hit it 10yds, then repeat all the way to the green. I am not kidding. When I caught up with them on the next tee box I politely informed them that it is common courtesy to the golfers around them that if they could not reach the green in 8, they should pick up and move to the next hole. One of the people took 8 shots to reach the 150yd marker. They basically told me to F myself, that they paid for a round of golf and they were going to play a round of golf. Fine. I called the clubhouse, I had time to spare waiting for them to reach a point where I could tee off, a marshal met us at the next tee box, informed them of the club rules regarding slow play and allowed me to tee off in front of them. Luckily I crushed the ball off the tee, it would have been embarrassing otherwise, and went on with my round.

Anyways, I am now short one pitching wedge. Called the clubhouse after I got home, and surprise surprise, it wasn't turned in. I know this is my fault for forgetting it. I feel like a complete moron. :partytime2:

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sadly, I think most of us have left a club at some point. Not being able to recover it is another.

People that keep the club and don't turn them in are no different than the guy who breaks into your home. What happened to the playing partners of the guy who took it? No different than being the one to keep it if you can't tell him to turn it in. A thief is a thief. These folks don't sound like the "golfers" I play with and want to be associated with.

Your only revenge is that Karma will kick their a@@ and hopefully you will never leave a club again.

Its too completely different things to break into someones homes and to pick up a club on the ground. One is a crime of opportunity, the other is planned to an extent. Also YOUR MESSING WITH SOMEONES CLUBS, that is WAY worse. Even though it costs more, I'd rather someone take my tv, My clubs have more sentimental value to me.

I can see the point in both posts, especially the sentimentality towards my clubs. The reason that I even noticed it was gone so quickly was when I got home I started cleaning them.

It isn't the same as breaking into my house, it was a crime of opportunity, but it hurts worse knowing that it was my fault that it happened. Its not like I had left my bag unattended in front of the clubhouse or something. If the club had come up missing for that reason, not my fault, at least not completely. This is completely my doing, to me, that makes it SO much worse.

I agree- stealing is stealing, whether it is planned or out of opportunity, it is still theft

I agree with the statement that a thief is a thief! What a crock of sh@t!

One course of action might be to talk to the Manager of the course to let him know what happened. If you play there often and know them well; he may look up the name of the group. He may not give you contact information, but if he knows it, perhaps he can ask them if they found the wedge. It may not be something he wants to get involved in; which is kind of understandable; but it is worth a shot.

Good luck! And don't let it get you down!!

I can't stand it when someone finds a club and doesn't turn it in. Thief!!!!! At our club most get turned in, when they are there for over a month the club will give it to the person that turned in the club , after every effort is made to find the owner. Next time you see the group beat them down with your 9 iron then walk to there bag and grab your wedge. LOL Just Kidding

I play there often enough and the manager is a super guy, we've even played a round or two together. When I called the clubhouse to inform them of the slow play, he was out there by the next hole, you really couldn't have asked for much more.

The problem with trying to track these people down is that they did not have a tee time, paid in cash and were walking. Under those circumstances no identification needed to be shown in order to play. I asked the manager if he knew them and he didn't. Nowhere to go from there.

You're right, you never know, it could turn up. I think that I might be writing this one off in the lesson learned column of my life though.

A beatdown might be in order, but I am kind of a wuss, and I don't think I will ever see them again. But if I do, you never know!

i would suggest giving them another call today. the club might have been turned in to a marshall or cart guy and not made its way to the pro shop when you called. the other possibility is that it wasn't found yesterday and maybe found today when mowing or something.

for what its worth, i think keeping a found club and breaking into ones homes are different crimes, but the person who does either one is just a worthless in my book.

[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike covert tour 2.0 w/ diamana blueboard 83[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike sq 2 tour 15* w/ ust v2 95 tour[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 18* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]adams idea pro tour 22* w/ fujikura 904hb[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]nike pro combo tour 4-pw[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 52*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]titliest vokey sm5 58*[/size][/font][/color]
[color=#B22222][font=arial, helvetica, sans-serif][size=3]scotty cameron newport beach[/size][/font][/color]

people are out to lunch half the time, could have gone this way...guy picks club up and puts it in his bag to turn in when he finishes...and forgets...next time he plays...2 or 3 months later...turns it into that course...LOL...it could still turn up...for the most part people do not take random clubs...they just don't know what to do with them when they find them.

Good Luck

Titleist Tsi4 / Callaway 4w /Call Hy/ Call UT 3i /Srixon z745 4-P /Vokey Wedgeworks 50m+56v /Cameron Newport 

I actually have a club of someone elses. I found it in the rough next to the fairway, and I'm sure I asked the group in front of me. But I foget if rain or something else forced us of the course in a hurry. Anyways it slipped my mind that it was still in my bag at that time. When i discovered it (probabily a week or so later) I planned on returning it to the course. But never got to play there again, moved out of state shortly after. So I never got to return the club. I suppose I should have called the course when i reliezed that i had it, but it didn't occur to me to do that. Oh well so I still have that club, never intended to keep it.

Since then I've found multiple clubs all seemingly belonged to the group in front. I usually can catch up to them on a par 3 and return it, I think once I left it with the cart guy.

I think for somebody to walk away with that PW , eventhough you got into it with them is really rare. They really have to be a horrible person for doing that. I bet it might not have been found by that group, maybe it was somebody behind them. I bet it shows up. I hope it does for your sake.

I think its extremely rare, but these people don't sound like "real" golfers to me. we respect eachother, and understand how important clubs are to a player. they might have been on a golf course, but they weren't real golfers.

just think of this as an opportunity to pick up one of those sweet vokey or new cleveland wedges, I'll take the 48* please!

I too have left a club on the course before and it sucks!! I could not imagine ever NOT turning in a club that I have found.....that's just way bad mojo. On the other hand though, I hate it when people in front of me come by to see if our group has found a club and provided that we haven't they feel it necessary to glance in our bags and look at us as if we are lying about it. Look on the bright side, your set is now incomplete.........time to go club ho'ing, maybe I should leave a club next time?...

I too have left a club on the course before and it sucks!! I could not imagine ever NOT turning in a club that I have found.....that's just way bad mojo. On the other hand though, I hate it when people in front of me come by to see if our group has found a club and provided that we haven't they feel it necessary to glance in our bags and look at us as if we are lying about it. Look on the bright side, your set is now incomplete.........time to go club ho'ing, maybe I should leave a club next time?...

That is exactly what my brothers said. I told them what had happened and they looked at each other and said "looks like Matt was wanting some new clubs" and laughed. I chuckled. I really liked that pitching wedge though, I had really been putting in some work on my shots inside 100yds and had gotten really good with it. I am currently looking for just a single one of these, but if I am to purchase a new PW I do like those new Clevelands!

You think that is bad listen to what happened to a friend of mine a few years ago.

Darrell left an 8-iron on 13 or 14 next to the green after chipping with it. He discovered it missing about 2 or 3 holes later and got in the cart to go back and get it. He went back and talked to the group directly behind him and one of the guys told him that he saw it and meant to pick it up at the exact spot that my friend knew he left it. However, the guy forgot but said it was definitely there.

My friend shortcuts through the trees back to the hole and there is no club, but he sees another group on the next hole so he assumes they have it. Darrell is a lefty by the way.

He goes up the the group in front of the hole where he left his club and they say that they don't have it. One of the guys conspicuously moves to block Darrell's view of his bag, but my friend could see that this guy too was left handed. Darrell, said, "Are you sure you haven't seen it?" The guy gets testy and said for him to get away from them.

Darrell then went and found the marshall and brought him to that group. They looked in the lefty's bag and guess what was in there?.....yep, Darrell's club.

At that point the marshall retrieved the club and kicked that group off the course and told them to never come back.

I don't think those guys behind you took the club. Even though they might have been mad at you, they probably wouldn't take the club and put it in their bag because they wouldn't want to get caught and get in trouble, especially if they would be the first people you would suspect. My guess is that they chucked it somewhere in the woods or somewhere else around the 17th green or even on the 18th's tee box. Maybe give that a shot and check it out it, but probably as a last resort ditch effort, because its probably not going to be too easy to find. Good luck and hope you can find it!

I don't play the muni courses in the city of Philadelphia anymore, mostly due to conditioning but also because there are no golfers there, only thieves and people who play golf.

I know it's my fault for forgetting a wedge on the green, but the last two times I did it, I realized it at the next tee, turned around, and both times the group behind me claimed they didn't see the club. I got fed up both times and just walked over to their bags, and lo and behold both times it was in someone's bag. Both times the a@@holes protested that the club was theirs, until I asked them, "Oh really, so your name just happens to be Robert ___, too?". Luckily, I am a big guy, so a mad dog stare and a ton of confidence kept me out of fights both times.

Frakkin' a@@hole thieves!!

I don't play the muni courses in the city of Philadelphia anymore, mostly due to conditioning but also because there are no golfers there, only thieves and people who play golf.

I know it's my fault for forgetting a wedge on the green, but the last two times I did it, I realized it at the next tee, turned around, and both times the group behind me claimed they didn't see the club. I got fed up both times and just walked over to their bags, and lo and behold both times it was in someone's bag. Both times the a@@holes protested that the club was theirs, until I asked them, "Oh really, so your name just happens to be Robert ___, too?". Luckily, I am a big guy, so a mad dog stare and a ton of confidence kept me out of fights both times.

Frakkin' a@@hole thieves!!

Did they back track pretty hard after you said that or just run. :partytime2:

^^Well, both times it was a threesome, so they weren't scared of me per se. And it's a true muni course (no rangers, no starter) so it's not like they would be kicked off or banned. Both times I was so mad I just took the club and stomped off before they could give an explanation. I'm Irish, so I can be a hothead, and it would suck if I went to jail for rappin' some schmuck in the head with a Gap Wedge! :partytime2: