2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Bob Charles Professional Dunlop Blades - Info?

Just picked up a set of Bob Charles Professional Dunlop blades from eBay. They have True Temper Dynamic Max Power shafts, unknown flex markings.

I've tried several searches and haven't found anything on the internet. Any info would be great. Just curious if these were tour/pro-level clubs, or commercial/retail level, etc. When were they manufactured? What's the quality of Dunlop at that time? Etc.

Many thanks!

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just picked up a set of Bob Charles Professional Dunlop blades from eBay. They have True Temper Dynamic Max Power shafts, unknown flex markings.

I've tried several searches and haven't found anything on the internet. Any info would be great. Just curious if these were tour/pro-level clubs, or commercial/retail level, etc. When were they manufactured? What's the quality of Dunlop at that time? Etc.

Many thanks!

Frederick-

Can't find anything?...

This was my first full LH set- Laminated Driver, 3,4,5 woods, 2-SW irons. Our father got them from a PGA Pro at a Private Club (now public)

The woods read Driver- 1 Spoon-3, Cleek 4, and Baffy 5... Brassie was 2.

Shaft bands are kind of an orangy copper, but you have to read the difference, as the Regular and Stiff shaft bands were the same color.

The Golf Club Identification and Price Guide III- Pg 16-16, shows these Dunlop Bob Charles Professional clubs were manufactured 1973-1975.

( written-LH Only....) The set was more widely distributed by Dunlop than any previous LH models.

Good set, with very evenly ground iron heads. Shafts were not as good as Wilson Ultralites.. Woods were bored with slightly upright lie.

A few players had the Dunlop staff bag. Gary Player was the best known..as well as that phone conversation he had with Ben Hogan...

Still have the BC Dunlop 5 wood, and the Dunlop Sand Wedge (sadly rechromed),... Had them for two years, then traded them for the LH PowerBilt Citation irons, 1-PI which are still in their rack row in the section...

If you put the right shaft in them, they should be just fine...

Many thanks!

Frederick-

Can't find anything?...

This is my first full LH set- Laminated Driver, 3,4,5 woods, 2-SW irons. Our father got them from a PGA Pro at a Private Club (now public)

The woods read Driver- 1 Spoon-3, Cleek 4, and Baffy 5... Brassie was 2.

Shaft bands are kind of an orangy copper, but you have to read the difference, as the Regular and Stiff shaft bands were the same color.

The Golf Club Identification and Price Guide III- Pg 16-16, shows these Dunlop Bob Charles Professional clubs were manufactured 1973-1975.

( written-LH Only....) The set was more widely distributed by Dunlop than any previous LH models.

Good set, with very evenly ground iron heads. Shafts were not as good as Wilson Ultralites.. Woods were bored with slightly upright lie.

A few players had the Dunlop staff bag. Gary Player was the best known..as well as that phone conversation he had with Ben Hogan...

Still have the BC Dunlop 5 wood, and the Dunlop Sand Wedge (sadly rechromed),... Had them for two years, then traded them for the LH PowerBilt Citation irons, 1-PI which are still in their rack row in the section...

If you put the right shaft in them, they should be just fine...

OK - thanks for that info. That helps!

It's not a guarantee, but TT Dynamic was a premium grade shaft and by and large I think that finding those in a set of irons would be a reasonable indicator that they were made as pro line clubs. Dunlop made good stuff back in the day - though probably not so common in the US in the days when international trade was not quite so open is it is now. Don't judge them harshly just because they were matched up with laminated rather than persimmon woods, as laminate seems to have been used much more widely by british manufacturers even at the quality end of things. Those irons probably just predate Dunlop's heyday of Maxfli Aussie Blades.

It's not a guarantee, but TT Dynamic was a premium grade shaft and by and large I think that finding those in a set of irons would be a reasonable indicator that they were made as pro line clubs. Dunlop made good stuff back in the day - though probably not so common in the US in the days when international trade was not quite so open is it is now. Don't judge them harshly just because they were matched up with laminated rather than persimmon woods, as laminate seems to have been used much more widely by british manufacturers even at the quality end of things. Those irons probably just predate Dunlop's heyday of Maxfli Aussie Blades.

Thanks for the input. All helps. These could be non-US manufactured. They certainly caught my eye and "look" every bit of a pro-line club like Wilson Staffs. Us lefties have slim pickings when it comes to finding real classic gems.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I just got a full set of these lefties in a landfill.

Are they any good? I might thrown them on eBay.

(Pics if you guys want me to shoot a few)

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

Stixman has posted about Dunlop and Slazenger iron production which was almost entirely cast stainless heads produced at the Alston foundry,Cumbria.

Dunlop had both high street and pro-shop lines,most UK readers will remember the Dunlop Flash,as in Green Flash clothing and Blue Flash golf clubs which were sold in sports shops.

Pro's may have used standard Dunlop models in the 60's,in the 70's I'm not sure apart from Jacklin,possibly Tommy Horton,I'm doubtful because there were more American-made clubs available which were arguably of better quality.

I just got a full set of these lefties in a landfill.

Are they any good? I might thrown them on eBay.

(Pics if you guys want me to shoot a few)

Yes - love to see some pics of what you found.

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

s-l1600.jpg

Cleveland Launcher DTS 9*
Exotics CB 13*
Ping i3 17*

Callaway Steelhead 3 20*

Nickent 3DX 23*26*29*
MacGregor VIP V-Foil 1025 C - 7-PW
Ping Eye2 51*57.5*
Seemore WGP
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/1013287-my-v-foils/"]WITB Link[/url]

Stixman has posted about Dunlop and Slazenger iron production which was almost entirely cast stainless heads produced at the Alston foundry,Cumbria.

Dunlop had both high street and pro-shop lines,most UK readers will remember the Dunlop Flash,as in Green Flash clothing and Blue Flash golf clubs which were sold in sports shops.

Pro's may have used standard Dunlop models in the 60's,in the 70's I'm not sure apart from Jacklin,possibly Tommy Horton,I'm doubtful because there were more American-made clubs available which were arguably of better quality.

Many went to maxfli and later slazenger models as the had some wonderful forged offerings. Not sure the American market was any better at all when it came to forged blades. John letters who many top pros used in the 60s and 70s were outstanding irons. Then came mizuno and things really changed after that.

Many went to maxfli and later slazenger models as the had some wonderful forged offerings. Not sure the American market was any better at all when it came to forged blades. John letters who many top pros used in the 60s and 70s were outstanding irons. Then came mizuno and things really changed after that.

The forged offerings from Dunlop were not made in the UK as far as I'm aware and as regards American competition how can you argue against the forged irons made by Macgregor,Wilson,Spalding and Hogan,all superb quality and design?

The forged offerings from Dunlop were not made in the UK as far as I'm aware and as regards American competition how can you argue against the forged irons made by Macgregor,Wilson,Spalding and Hogan,all superb quality and design?

I didn't, I just pointed out the forging in the UK were just as good. John letters being a prime example, the pga blade was a stunning iron.

I didn't, I just pointed out the forging in the UK were just as good. John letters being a prime example, the pga blade was a stunning iron.

Dai Rees and Fred Daly (after a short tour in the US)were instrumental in getting John Letters to make a club better than the 3852 TA Mac, and according to legend the first Fred Daly Master Models succeeded in that aim.

When I started playing in the 80s, the American stuff did seem exotic, and maybe even a premium product. There was a LOT of golf being played, but the quality blades from MacGregor, Hogan and Spalding were pretty rare. I was definitely a bit of a gear geek back then, and had my nose in a lot of bags around the club. I remember about 1 set of Muirfields, 1 set of bird on ball Spaldings, and a couple of sets of Hogans.

Some of this may have had to do with the difficulty of importing goods back then - US made stuff was markedly more expensive as I recall. More common by far than any of those brands was Wilson, who had a factory in Ayrshire. Loads of sets of staffs going about.

Definitely lots of UK stuff being played too - Ryder seemed to be everywhere with early cavity backs, Dunlop and Slazenger, and of course Letters and Sayers.

There are 2 sets of blades that I remember from that time that I think would easily stand comparison with anything from the best US manufacturers - those PGA European Tour branded blades from Letters, and the Mentor irons from Ben Sayers. Letters Master Models had no doubt been great clubs in their time, but I think they were showing their age by the 80s.

• 2 weeks later...

When I started playing in the 80s, the American stuff did seem exotic, and maybe even a premium product. There was a LOT of golf being played, but the quality blades from MacGregor, Hogan and Spalding were pretty rare. I was definitely a bit of a gear geek back then, and had my nose in a lot of bags around the club. I remember about 1 set of Muirfields, 1 set of bird on ball Spaldings, and a couple of sets of Hogans.

Some of this may have had to do with the difficulty of importing goods back then - US made stuff was markedly more expensive as I recall. More common by far than any of those brands was Wilson, who had a factory in Ayrshire. Loads of sets of staffs going about.

Definitely lots of UK stuff being played too - Ryder seemed to be everywhere with early cavity backs, Dunlop and Slazenger, and of course Letters and Sayers.

There are 2 sets of blades that I remember from that time that I think would easily stand comparison with anything from the best US manufacturers - those PGA European Tour branded blades from Letters, and the Mentor irons from Ben Sayers. Letters Master Models had no doubt been great clubs in their time, but I think they were showing their age by the 80s.

My first set of blades were the John letters pga blades....handmedowns from my dad! Always had a soft spot for John letters ever since

I started playing around 1987, I think. I don't recall anyone at my club using Macgregor or Hogan irons. I do remember Ping becoming really popular, and good well-heeled members tended to have Eye2 woods and irons. In fact, I have a BeCu Eye2 L wedge from back then that was given to me by a well-off friend of my dad.

I do remember Mizuno irons starting to become popular. One or two of the better junior members (low single figure handicaps) got hold of TP irons and showed them off to us.

Then when metal woods became more dominant, all the juniors were bagging TM burners (still got mine. Picked it up second hand).

Incidentally, the first proper set of clubs I got were Daiwa. Probably cast, and heel/toe weighted. I think my brother got Ryders, then later Petrons.

See my thread 'Nihon no Bijutsu' for early Mizzies albeit left-handed.

By the late 80's Ping were big and the other companies subsequently made their own cavity backs,Titleist DCI,Tommy Armour,Daiwa etc.

Wilson had a plant in Scotland but I don't believe they made clubs from scratch,rather an assembly plant for components shipped in from the US.It may have been a way of paying less import duty than on assembled clubs(?).

My first Mizuno was a driver that a friend of my dad gave me,shaft like a poker,genuine worm-burner complete with shiny leather grip.

This week I have been playing with TP-9's,still a great set of irons and not as testing to hit as many other designs,great feel,in my view better than the current crop,I played MP-57's for a while and found them 'mushy' in comparison but generally as they say;

'Nothing feels like a Mizuno'.