2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Boston Area Golf

Reif

I'm going to be in Boston (Downtown) Friday night with a chance to play Saturday morning.

Probably too late for this trip but I quick look at the recent topics here doesn't really show a list of public access golf courses and which ones you guys like to play and which ones you avoid or feel are overpriced.

So I'll throw this topic out there, and hope some of you locals can comment.

I did play Granite Links last year and liked it and would recommend it.

Unfortunately, they don't have any times available Saturday morning (I'd have to get out by 9:00, probably).

For me personally, cost is only an issue if the course isn't worth it. I'd prefer to pay more for a good course than bargain basement for a five hour round at a goat track.

I do get back to Boston from time to time, though, so for the next time if you guys have any recommendations, at least this out of towner would appreciate it.

Thanks,

Reif

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reif-

Check out George Wright Golf Course. Probably your best (public) option close to downtown Boston.

Ping G410, 10.5 degree, Alta CB 55 Red

Taylormade RBZ, 15*, Matrix Ozik

Callaway Epic Super Hybrid, 18 degree, Aerotech Steelfiber FC

Callaway Rogue 4H, 21*, Aldila Synergy 60

Callaway Apex CF16, 5 - SW, Recoil 760

Callaway PM Grind 19, 60*

Rife 2 Bar Hybrid 

You're in town tonight and want to play tomorrow?

You do know we're getting a couple inches of rain tonight/tomorrow morning, with 15-20mph winds? :lol:

But, you may be into that sort of thing... figured I'd just put it out there. :lol:

--kC

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

Imp is right - this afternoon is a washout and tomorrow will be drainage day! However, given you're coming back, I think you already have the best advice from the above posts

1. CLOSE to Boston - George Wright is an absolute gem for a muni course (in terms of layout). Donald Ross design on a decent plot of land. They've spent some money over the last couple of years in cleaning up the course (re-doing bunkers, tee boxes, etc.) but it sill has a city muni condition feel to it - but it's worth suffering through that for the layout. I play at a private course close to Boston, but I make sure I play George Wright every year. If this course converted to a private or high-end daily fee with the conditions, I think it would be right up there with the best courses in the Boston area. Don't know how crowded it gets, though, on weekends. Franklin Park is the other Donald Ross Muni in Boston. Not nearly as good a layout and probably lesser condition. However, it still is fun to play and it is even closer if you're staying in Back Bay or Downtown. I would personally stay away from the Brookline and Newton Muni's (Leo J. Martin, Newton Commonwealth, Putterham, etc.). They're muni courses with not much to mention in terms of condition OR layout

2. FAR (45+ minutes from Boston) - Go to Plymouth. You have about 4-5 good options down there for high-end daily fee places. PineHIlls has two great options, Waverly Oaks is the under-rated step sister of Pinehills, but always in good shape. Crosswinds (which I have never played) gets very good reviews.

3. FAR (45+ minutes from Boston) - The West courses. Crumpin-Fox, Red Tail, Shaker Hills, etc. are all good options as well. I'd definitely go Plymouth first, though, not because the courses are that much better. It's just you have so much in a small area and it's (IMHO) easier to get to for an out of towner than the West Courses

If you've played Granite Links and like it, then that is really easy. It's close and it's usually in great shape. Personally, I do not like the golf course. Despite the conditions, there are too many blind shots for my taste. I've felt I've hit a great shot and lose the ball. Just not fun for me. A blind tee shot or two at a golf course is great, but when it is 1/3 of the holes, that's too much IMHO. Of course, I haven't played it in 10+ years (for that reason)

• 4 weeks later...

Agree with George Wright... I've probably played that course 100s of times. I always thought it would make a great private course (if they could squeeze in a range/practice facility). As others have stated, Plymouth has plenty of options and a course I would add on the West (45+ minutes away) is Blackstone National GC. I've played BNGC almost as much as GW with a nice layout and good conditions. Be sure you are driving it straight upon arrival at BNGC as there are plenty of tight holes will deep woods on either side.

Another option for public access near Boston is Presidents in Quincy (former private Wollaston GC course). It is short and hilly (up/down and sidehill) but has a few nice stretches of holes. Again, this option is more about convenience and accessibility. It also has some nice views of Boston from the top of the hills.

Also agree on skipping the Newton/Brookline munis... Putterham should be avoided for 6 months after any hint of rain as it is old swamp land TCC didn't want (slight hyperbole on the 6 months). ;-)

Not so far options are Sandy Burr and Wayland CC. I've played Sandy Burr several times and have avoided Wayland as it seems more swampy and a lot of boring holes based on pictures.

Butterbrook in Westford is nice. It is a tail of 2 nines as front is parkland and back is more wide open. Closer to the 40-45-minute range from Boston

Dare I mention Ponkapoag (classic Donald Ross in some of the worst shape possible) in Canton?

Am I the only one who isn't a Brian Silva design fan? Red tail is decent but it seems like all of Silva's designs are more about aesthetics than the actual play on the course.

Great post. Also love BNGC, you just better be accurate off the tee! Another one like that, which is no longer public, is Wedgewood Pines in Stow

Re: Ponkoapoag - I've not played there since BEFORE they shut down 18 of the 36 holes (my last round there was in 2002!.) I know they re-opened #1 last year, so maybe it warrants more attention?

Agree on Silva (as well as Cornish, which won't win me any friends)

George Wright (although I haven't been there in a few years), Olde Scotland Links, River Bend, ButterBrook, Butternut, Blissful Meadows, Ponkapoag #1 (still not in the best of shape but great routing), Granite Links, Pinehills (Jones course), just to name a few. Kind of all over the place but food for thought. And if you get down to the Cape try Captains, Cranberry Valley, and Bayberry Hills. Some good courses in the area and all the rain we've had this spring has really got them all in great shape too.

George Wright is awesome!

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)

George Wright (although I haven't been there in a few years) If you get down to the Cape try Captains, Cranberry Valley, and Bayberry Hills. Some good courses in the area and all the rain we've had this spring has really got them all in great shape too.

1. You should play George Wright EVERY SEASON at least once if you're local. Even if you belong to TCC, go take an afternoon and play that course! I am excited to see how last year's work turned out this year

2. I would add Olde Barnstable to your list of cape courses. In tremendous shape for a mini, is super walkable and in my opinion no bad holes for a course that is only ~30 years old.

When I passed through Boston 2 years ago I had time for 1 round of golf, and the choice was George Wright. Great course that you could easily play over and over and stay satisfied.b2482bb0c1909cf05e629983bf0f1c97.jpg

d5bb0e488c7b75a9bb813b4ba795921b.jpg

Titleist TSi2 10* Driver Tensei Blue 55S
TM Sim2 Max 16.5* 3 wood Tensei Blue 60S

TM SIM2 Titanium 5 Wood Tensei Blue 65S

TM SIM2 MAx 4 Hybrid Ventus Stiff shaft
Ping G410 5-UW Alta Graphite Shafts
Vokey SM8 56* sand wedge, Vokey SM9 60* lob wedge
Black Lab Oil Can 350g custom grind by "Geo" putter

C&L 350 Milled Oil Can Putter (3 of them!)