2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Hogan forging dates - expert needed

I keep hearing that Hogan clubs after 2002 or 2003 (no one seems to know) are junk because the different forging location and steel changed.

Does anyone know the truth, the exact dates, or even the last models that are "good" and the beginning of models that are deemed "bad"?

I have hit extensively Apex Plus (1999), Apex Edge (2001), Apex Edge Pro (2002) and Apex Edge (2006) irons and they all seem like quality irons to me. I probably just can't tell the difference.

Thanks.

"I refuse to join any club that would have me as a member."
- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

TaylorMade Burner 3-wood and 5-wood REAX reg graphite

Mizuno MX-23 forged 5-PW, Mizuno forged SW, GW, LW

Putter:  Odyssey White Hot Rossie 36" --  Ball: TP5 X

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1999 is when it changed. Previous to then, Hogan forging was done by Cornell, possibly also by Hoffman, both US companies. Hogan in Fort Worth didn't do their own forgings, as they didn't have a foundry.

By the time of the '99 Apex blades (and the other models you mentioned) it proved better both financially, and tolerance-wise, to switch to the far East. So, from 1999 forging was done by Endo, who, at the time, had one of the highest-quality forging operations around. The '99 blades were designed by Charles Lovett, ex-Mizuno, and the prototypes made by Tom Stites (yes, the Nike Tom Stites!).

"Good" or "Bad"? Personal preference really..........maybe because Mr Hogan was no longer with us....

1999 is when it changed. Previous to then, Hogan forging was done by Cornell, possibly also by Hoffman, both US companies. Hogan in Fort Worth didn't do their own forgings, as they didn't have a foundry.

By the time of the '99 Apex blades (and the other models you mentioned) it proved better both financially, and tolerance-wise, to switch to the far East. So, from 1999 forging was done by Endo, who, at the time, had one of the highest-quality forging operations around. The '99 blades were designed by Charles Lovett, ex-Mizuno, and the prototypes made by Tom Stites (yes, the Nike Tom Stites!).

"Good" or "Bad"? Personal preference really..........maybe because Mr Hogan was no longer with us....

Thanks for this. I've read many histories that have the dates of acquisitions and even club releases wrong.

1999 puts the Apex Plus in either US or Endo. Others have said that the final good sets were the controversial Apex Edge (the GI irons) and the Apex Edge Pro manufactured in 2001 and 2002 respectively. According to them, the company moved from 1030 to 1025 and 1020 carbon steel. Is that true, as far as you know? Also, clubs and new editions of Apex and Apex Edge models made in 2006 get great reviews. I guess, like you said, it is personal preference.

If I grew up riding horses, I don't think I'd like a donkey very much. But if I grew up riding donkeys, I might not like a new Corvette. (Wait...does that make sense? :)

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

The '99 Apex and Apex Plus were Endo forged. Cannot speak to any that followed. There has been some chatter in the forums about the subsequent models not "feeling" quite the same under the Callaway branding. Take that for however many grains of salt you choose. The '99 Apex's are a very nice rendition of the MB form.

http://www.jeffsheet...--past-projects

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

Tim,your donkey analogy is entirely applicable (I am one!),I had my first Hogan irons which were a used set of Apex II nearly 30 years ago and I loved them.

I now have 3 sets of Apex II (one set each of Apex,Vector and DG shafts) with a further set of black cameo Apex due for delivery this week,in addition I have Edge (original model) and FTX and have owned Apex Plus.

For a short period I also plumbed the depths with a set of BH-5 irons which were horrible!

Those are cast clubs and some of the other recent Hogans are multi-material irons (CFT) which would account for the difference in feel.

Personally I found the Apex Plus to be somewhat dead,the FTX have offset which I dislike,the Edge look too chunky and none of them compare favourably with the Apex II which for me have all the design elements of a 'real' Hogan iron with the underslung hosel and blade-on-blade back pad,the great man was right to call them Apex,they are certainly the pinnacle of blade design along with Toney Penna's wingback MT.

99 Apex and Apex Plus were indeed Endo forged and feel nice. 2006 Apex plus used slight different carbon steel. Not sure where they were forged though.

If I could only find a nice set of 73 Apex hmmm

Taylormade M6
Callaway Steelhead XR 4+
Mizuno MP-18 mb 4-PW
Titliest SM7 50f, 54s, 58d
SC Phantom X 5.5

My uncle gave me a set of Medallions, all rusted up, when I was a wee lad. That Medallion is burned into my memory. When I was about 10, I dug 4 or 5 golf holes in the yard and clipped down the grass. Dad wasn't happy and I had to fill them in. So I built a pitcher's mound right in the middle of the yard.

- Groucho Marx

WIMB
PING G400 Driver 10.5*

I have both the 2003 and 2006 Apex iron sets, and they are both quality sets that in my view are not materially better or worse than anything in the Hogan line that preceded them ! I think alot of the chatter on this is linked to an understandable lament on the off-shoring of manufacturing, and not necessarily on the metallurgy itself per se.

The 2003 was also marketed as the 50th Anniversary model, with extra stampings on the back of the blade.

A bit of heresy ... never had a good round with the 99 version ... the offset on those just does not fit my eye !

Favourite is still the Redlines btw :)

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

I have both the 2003 and 2006 Apex iron sets, and they are both quality sets that in my view are not materially better or worse than anything in the Hogan line that preceded them ! I think alot of the chatter on this is linked to an understandable lament on the off-shoring of manufacturing, and not necessarily on the metallurgy itself per se.

The 2003 was also marketed as the 50th Anniversary model, with extra stampings on the back of the blade.

A bit of heresy ... never had a good round with the 99 version ... the offset on those just does not fit my eye !

Favourite is still the Redlines btw :)

The laments amplified by the Callaway acquisition of the Top-Flite (including the Hogan division) assets out of bankruptcy in 2003. And what subsequently occurred with the Hogan brand thereafter. This did not sit well with the Hoganistas. There was a need to discredit the Callaway years somehow. Let's just say the "Callaway" Hogans don't feel the same as the "Real" Hogans.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

sorry dont want to hijack ... was the 2003 50th Aniv. then made in Endo? Surely not Callaway?

The 50th Anniversary Apex came out in early 2003, when the Hogan brand was under the Spalding ownership. Callaway announced the takeover of Spalding in a press release June 30th 2003.

Neither Spalding or Callaway actually did the forgings, they were outsourced, mostly to Endo. I seem to remember that Phil Mickelson's original Callaway prototypes were also Endo-forged.

Hope this helps!