2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Best Public Golf Courses In Northwest Oregon

FlyFish

Where to play golf when visiting Portland Oregon
Best Public Golf Courses In Northwest Oregon

These are my personal rankings of the finest 18-hole public golf courses in Northwest Oregon (Portland, Oregon metro area)

Courses are ranked on a one to five star scale - the five star rating being the highest. Factors which influence ranking are: course design and layout, greens, course conditioning, pace of play, history, drainage, club house and customer service.

Distances are from the Portland International Airport (PDX).

Five Star

Pumpkin Ridge Ghost Creek
Distance: 33.9 mi (~45 mins)

The Reserve South Course
Distance: 26.9 mi (~42 mins)

Langdon Farms
Distance: 31.0 mi (~40 mins)

OGA at Tukwila
Distance: 42.6 mi (~54 mins)

Camas Meadows
Distance: 13.4 mi (~25 mins)

Four Star

The Reserve North Course
Distance: 26.9 mi (~ 42 mins)

Quail Valley
Distance: 36.2 mi (~47 mins)

Stone Creek
Distance: 24.6 mi (~38)

Heron Lakes Great Blue
Distance: 10.0 mi (~23 mins)

Trysting Tree
Distance: 93.7 mi (~1 hour 42 mins)

Lewis River
Distance: 34.9 mi (~44 mins)

Three Star

Chehalem Glenn
Distance: 35.5 mi (~53 mins)

Forest Hills
Distance: 34.2 mi (~57 mins)

Heron Lakes Greenback
Distance: 10.0 mi (~23 mins)

McNary Golf Club
Distance: 53.0 mi (~1 hour 2 mins)

RedTail
Distance: 22.2 mi (~32 mins)

Eastmoreland
Distance: 13.0 mi (~24 mins)

Gearhart Golf Links
Distance: 94.9 mi (~1 hour 59 mins)

Glendoveer West
Distance: 7.2 mi (19 mins)

Wildwood
Distance: 26.6 mi (35 mins)

Skamania Lodge
Distance: 41.8 mi (~50 mins)

Two Star

Santiam Golf Course

Meriwether National Golf Club

Colwood

One Star

Every other goat track in town!

Additional Resources

Portland Oregon Public Golf Course Reviews

Oregon Golf Association Course Finder

Note: please don't quote this entire post when replying.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the sake of posterity, I've ranked the public golf courses in the Portland Oregon area on a one to five star scale - with five stars being the highest. These courses all have at least eighteen holes.

I have played each of these at least once in the last year. If it is not on the list, I have not played the course recently or it is not worth playing. I will update this list from time to time.

Five Star

Pumpkin Ridge Ghost Creek

The Reserve South Course

Langdon Farms

OGA at Tukwila

Camas Meadows

Four Star

The Reserve North Course

Quail Valley

Heron Lakes Great Blue

Stone Creek

Chehalem Glenn

Three Star

Heron Lakes Greenback

Red Tail

McNary Golf Club

Eastmoreland

Forest Hills

Two Star

Colwood

Meriwether

Wildwood

Santiam Golf Course

One Star

Why bother?

Wow, you're busting out the informative posts today. Nice work again.

I don't disagree with your list. I think it fluctuates throughout the year though. I might add some of the other courses in the area (within an hour or so) like Skamania or The Resort in Welches and maybe Tri-Mountain up north a little bit. They're alright, but not spectacular.

I'm curious, I assume you live in Portland -- where do you play out of?

Thanks! It has been a long time since I last played Skamania. I stayed out the Resort at the Mountain with my wife in June, planning on playing all three courses, but we got rained out (she is a fair-weather golfer).

The outlier courses that I would like to add to the list are: Skamania Lodge, Resort at the Mountain, Trysting Tree, Indian Creek, Tri-Mountain and Elkhorn Valley. I don't feel comfortable ranking courses that I haven't played recently.

I keep my handicap at Langdon Farms.

Thanks! It has been a long time since I last played Skamania. I stayed out the Resort at the Mountain with my wife in June, planning on playing all three courses, but we got rained out (she is a fair-weather golfer).

The outlier courses that I would like to add to the list are: Skamania Lodge, Resort at the Mountain, Trysting Tree, Indian Creek, Tri-Mountain and Elkhorn Valley. I don't feel comfortable ranking courses that I haven't played recently.

I just played The Reserve South today. The course was in pretty good shape -- still far better than the rest of the courses in the area (especially with all the upcoming and ongoing green punching).

They didn't have actually gold tees out, but the blues were pushed all the way back. I'm guessing it was playing close to 7000 yards even. Fun test today though.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

I will be moving to the Portland area...any website that provide great green fee deals? Also in Dallas many of the golf clubs offered deals like "player development" deals where for a set fee (30 to 50 dollars per month) you would get unlimited golf range balls and would be allowed to play for about 15 to 20 bucks after 1pm (twilight time) 7 days a week...this included greens, cart, gps...are their any courses doing this here in the area??

[quote name='j0npeterson' post='776188' date='Nov 1 2007, 10:00 PM'][quote name='FlyFish' post='769646' date='Oct 27 2007, 11:11 PM']Added Skamania Lodge, Trysting Tree and Gearhart, changed layout and added distance from PDX.[/quote]
I'd also add Tri-Mountain on there. Albeit it's short in length, the greens are great and the winter conditioning is nice.

I played out there today for the first time and was pleasantly surprised.
[/quote]

Myself and another WRX'er play Tri-mountain every other week....Great Course(for a muni!) Nice greens, good condition year round...it does look short on the card...But its usually windy to very windy which adds lenght!

By contrast- I played Heron Lakes on Friday and it was in Horrible Condition(that was a surprise!)

[b]Myself and another WRX'er play Tri-mountain every other week....Great Course(for a muni!) Nice greens, good condition year round...it does look short on the card...But its usually windy to very windy which adds lenght!

By contrast- I played Heron Lakes on Friday and it was in Horrible Condition(that was a surprise!)[/b]

Understanding, of course, that Tri Mountain is a 9 hole facility until April or later......irrigation work.

Woo

[quote name='Metalhead' post='885466' date='Jan 27 2008, 12:30 PM'][quote name='j0npeterson' post='776188' date='Nov 1 2007, 10:00 PM'][quote name='FlyFish' post='769646' date='Oct 27 2007, 11:11 PM']Added Skamania Lodge, Trysting Tree and Gearhart, changed layout and added distance from PDX.[/quote]
I'd also add Tri-Mountain on there. Albeit it's short in length, the greens are great and the winter conditioning is nice.

I played out there today for the first time and was pleasantly surprised.
[/quote]

Myself and another WRX'er play Tri-mountain every other week....Great Course(for a muni!) Nice greens, good condition year round...it does look short on the card...But its usually windy to very windy which adds lenght!

By contrast- I played Heron Lakes on Friday and it was in Horrible Condition(that was a surprise!)
[/quote]
I didn't realize you live in the Portland area.

Where else do you play?

[quote name='rxmedicine' post='885420' date='Jan 27 2008, 11:36 AM']I will be moving to the Portland area...any website that provide great green fee deals? Also in Dallas many of the golf clubs offered deals like "player development" deals where for a set fee (30 to 50 dollars per month) you would get unlimited golf range balls and would be allowed to play for about 15 to 20 bucks after 1pm (twilight time) 7 days a week...this included greens, cart, gps...are their any courses doing this here in the area??[/quote]

[url="http://www.golfnow.com"]http://www.golfnow.com[/url]

sometimes they have great deals

• 4 months later...

I'm setting up a mini short golf trip with my dad and I appreciate the recommendations. The plan is mid july:

day 1: (AM)PR Ghost creek

(PM) Reserve vineyards

day 2: Camas meadows

(hopefully tee times will work out)

Would you believe he's a member at bear creek (an "american golf" club in WA), and at the private pumpkin ridge, they offer the reciprocal privilege black%20eye.gif of paying $275 pp?

Will post reviews after the trip

I'm setting up a mini short golf trip with my dad and I appreciate the recommendations. The plan is mid july:

(PM) Reserve vineyards

Would you believe he's a member at bear creek (an "american golf" club in WA), and at the private pumpkin ridge, they offer the reciprocal privilege black%20eye.gif of paying $275 pp?

Bear Creek in Woodinville?

I'd play Langdon instead of Camas, but that's just me. If he has reciprocal play privileges with American Golf managed courses, I might even play Persimmon instead of Camas.

A good friend of mine lives in Portland. I love that city! It has a great vibe and really cool people imho

I've only played two courses there though, Eastmoreland and OGA. My buddy keeps raving about the Resort at the Mountain course and how next time I come down, we have to play it.

I really liked OGA. The course was in fantastic shape and a good layout.

When I played Eastmoreland, it was just ok to me. I recall the 2nd nine was much better than the first. jmo of course it may have been that time of year too (fall).

(PM) Reserve vineyards

Ghost Creek is $150 peak season. You must be talking about Witch Hollow, the member's course.

http://www.pumpkinridge.com/fee_ghost.cfm

(PM) Reserve vineyards

Ghost Creek is $150 peak season. You must be talking about Witch Hollow, the member's course.

http://www.pumpkinridge.com/fee_ghost.cfm

Yeah, I think he was talking about a chance to play Witch... that's nuts though. $275? If someone asked me to pay that, I'd say "Chambers Bay here I come."

yeah, bear creek in woodinville. I grew up on that course, and totally didn't appreciate what I had - I could have played any time I wanted but didn't see golf as an enjoyable activity let alone a life-long pursuit. ;)

Anyway, yeah the $275 was at witch, I guess i forgot to specify. My point being it's not much of a privilege if they're killing you for membership dues, then asking for that much if you want to play another of their courses.

Camas is 100% out due to tournaments + a tight schedule for us. Really looked beautiful, hopefully another time. We're booked at ghost already and planning on reserve north for the 2nd round of day 1 (south is closed to public the day before we get there).

Don't know if dad will be up for an early drive out to the resort course,(again, tournaments) but man does that look beautiful!

edit- just booked the last round for us at the resort course - looks beautiful.

ps, i forgot who made the original post, but thanks so much for posting/maintaining this list! I'm pretty much going off of what I read here, since I don't trust those generic golf review sites.

• 2 weeks later...

I played The Reserve North the other day. They are letting their greens turn into poa-annua. They are still bumpy but not as bad as they were. The rough is getting thick.

Forest Hills is actually in decent shape. Some hard pan in spots.

Quail Valley had grass clumps all over the fairways a week ago. They hadn't been mowing enough. The greens are in good shape.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright gang- sorry for the ongoing thread-jack, I'm re-thinking some of my course choices

Wed: AM Pumpkin creek ghost is a lock, good or bad

Wed: PM ??

Thurs: currently booked at "three nines - resort at the mountain in Welches" Worth the drive from downtown Pdx?

-------

Thoughts/findings:

Langdon was totally booked

OGA - unsure, could be alot of driving if we're going to do welches also.

Stone Creek- looks great, anyone here played it recently or ever?

Quail Valley - could be a convenient pm round on wed after Pumpkin Ridge, any thoughts?

Reserve (would be the North) - looks good, but Fish's notes about the greens made me think twice

Eh, just trying to make it an especially great weekend of golf for my dad's 60th!

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated, thanks!

I would definitely hit up Quail Valley after Pumpkin. It is a fun course and the greens are rolling true. I have had The Reserve employees tell me how much they like that course on a couple of different occasions.

The Reserve is in pretty good shape. The greens haven't been that good out there for the last couple of years. The deal is that they are letting them turn into Poa. They are a still little bumpy but not as bad as earlier in the year. Personally I'd rather play The Reserve, OGA or Camas Meadows before than The Resort At The Mountain.

Check out my review on The Reserve Cupp course (North) on this site. It is not as popular as the Fought Course (South, where they used to hold the Jeld-Wen Tradition) but it is still a good challenge. Bob Cupp is the guy who designed Pumpkin Ridge Ghost Creek.

FYI, the Cupp course has tall fescue and eats balls!

The only way that I could see driving out all the way to The Resort At The Mountain is if you wanted to go check out Timberline Lodge (Mt. Hood) as well. A company just bought them out this year and are going to renovate the golf course.

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to say I grew up in Salem and have played the OGA Members Course at Tukwila probably 10 times. This course is fantastic. 52 bucks for the public too: http://www.ogagolfcourse.com/fees.html . If you are in Portland looking for a cheaper option, you should certainly play here before considering driving to Trysting etc. I personally prefer this course to Langdon Farms, but that's just me.

Also, I prefer Salem Golf Club to McNary if you are looking at Salem area public courses. Wooded course, it is nice in the summer though speed of play can be absolutely brutal on the weekends. Don't play this course until late June at the earliest, as its drainage is terrible. Illahe or Creekside are obviously better than both, though, if you know any members. Another course that could be added to the 3 star or so list around Salem is Cross Creek in Dallas... I played it about 7-8 years ago when it only had 9 holes, but it was decent, don't know if they've added a second nine.

Callaway Epic SZ 10.5* AD-BB S
Callaway Epic SZ 13.5* Kaili S
Callaway Apex 18* Kuro Kage S
Callaway Apex CF 4-A DG X100
Hogan 55*/60* KBS S
Bettinardi Studio Stock 16

Just wanted to say I grew up in Salem and have played the OGA Members Course at Tukwila probably 10 times. This course is fantastic. 52 bucks for the public too: http://www.ogagolfcourse.com/fees.html . If you are in Portland looking for a cheaper option, you should certainly play here before considering driving to Trysting etc. I personally prefer this course to Langdon Farms, but that's just me.

Also, I prefer Salem Golf Club to McNary if you are looking at Salem area public courses. Wooded course, it is nice in the summer though speed of play can be absolutely brutal on the weekends. Don't play this course until late June at the earliest, as its drainage is terrible. Illahe or Creekside are obviously better than both, though, if you know any members. Another course that could be added to the 3 star or so list around Salem is Cross Creek in Dallas... I played it about 7-8 years ago when it only had 9 holes, but it was decent, don't know if they've added a second nine.

Man, if I lived further South (Aurora, Woodburn, Salem), I'd snag that OGA Annual they have out there... it's such a steal for that type of course.

I played in a tournament in Cross Creek awhile ago and I was pleasantly surprised. Obviously it's not going to stack up with any real courses, but it was in pretty good shape and it felt like a fair test.

I will have to check out Salem Golf Club. Thanks for the tips!

The other course around there that is on my list to check out is Mallard Creek.

http://www.mallardcreekgc.com

• 1 month later...

I've played the resort at the Mountain Dozens of times. The best way to do that is summer time Twilight on Sundays. Green fees are somewhere between 9 and 18 but you play till you can't see, and usually you are alone on the course. Thistle and Pine Cone underwent some minor renovation a couple years ago and swapped a couple holes all in all it plays more efficiently, is fairly fogiving and has soft but smooth greens. The Fox glove 9 is across the road from the other 2 and has more water hazards and tighter fairways with a lot of OB, as none of the hole run parallel to other holes on the course.

Love the course, I wouldn't put it on the 5 star list for over all quality, but as far as setting (occasionally you can hear bagpipes ringing through the valley) conditions and over all condition it's worth the drive from Portland.

Stone Creek needs some love here. I like it as much as Ghost Creek and Heron Lakes Great Blue which complete my top 3 favorite places to play in Portland. It's the perfect balance of price vs quality. While the Reserve, Quail Valley, The Resort, and Langdon Farms are all great courses too, Stone Creek is a hair better.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7

Stone Creek needs some love here. I like it as much as Ghost Creek and Heron Lakes Great Blue which complete my top 3 favorite places to play in Portland. It's the perfect balance of price vs quality. While the Reserve, Quail Valley, The Resort, and Langdon Farms are all great courses too, Stone Creek is a hair better.

The Creek is a nice daily fee and a great winter course, but I dunno if I could put it on the same hand as Ghost, The Reserve, and Langdon. The knock on those three is that they're exorbitantly priced for some largely yawn-inducing golf. If you can snag discounted rates, they're definitely worth it though.

Ugh, I hated Stone Creek this year... the greens were horrendous. I haven't played out there as much this year as I did last year.

I'll admit that this is a tough list. I did rate Stone Creek a solid 4 (same as Reserve North and Great Blue). It just doesn't quite make the grade into the top tier because of a couple sub-optimal holes. I marked down Reserve North for the same reason. I marked down Great Blue (even though the layout is great) because the conditioning isn't there.

Don't get me wrong, they are all great tracks - just not quite in the same league as Ghost Creek or Reserve South.

Thanks for the input.

FlyFish and j0npeterson, I agree we are splitting hairs. I should have said Stone Creek is a hair better...based on price. With price not an issue I agree with the list. Besides, this is FlyFish's list & thread so I understand if you have veto power.

TEE CB2 13* 3w, 43.5", 57g Fujikura Motore F1 X-flex
TEE CB2 15* 3w, 43" 65g Fujikura Motore F1 S-flex
Miura Black Boron 1957 Small Blades 2i-PW, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
Miura Black Wedges 53* and 60*, Nippon NS Pro 850 GH S-flex
GripMaster Club Maker's Stitchback Grips
34" Piretti Bosa, GripMaster Pistol Grip

Registered Bladeocrat
Outlaw Golf Association Member #7