Blades for low cappers only? Pfft!

Highpockets

I just don't understand. The conventional wisdom seems to be that high handicap players have no business playing blades - keep reading that over and over. Curiosity finally got the best of me, and I grabbed a set of MP-14's off of Ebay (for $100, no less!). Out with the G2's, in with the blades. After a couple of rounds, for God only knows what reason, I seem to be way better off. I've been playing to a 28 all summer long, after trying to "buy" a game with all-new gear. May have a different story to tell after a couple of months, but so far I'm playing bogey golf.

As far as I can tell there are two differences I notice. One, there's next to no offset on the Mizunos. I've been fighting pushes and push-slices all summer long. Second, these irons feel much more "lively" than the Pings. I've always been more of a feel player, and the Pings always felt kind of dead to me - zero feedback.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I just don't understand.  The conventional wisdom seems to be that high handicap players have no business playing blades - keep reading that over and over.  Curiosity finally got the best of me, and I grabbed a set of MP-14's off of Ebay (for $100, no less!).  Out with the G2's, in with the blades.  After a couple of rounds, for God only knows what reason, I seem to be way better off.  I've been playing to a 28 all summer long, after trying to "buy" a game with all-new gear.  May have a different story to tell after a couple of months, but so far I'm playing bogey golf.

As far as I can tell there are two differences I notice.  One, there's next to no offset on the Mizunos.  I've been fighting pushes and push-slices all summer long.  Second, these irons feel much more "lively" than the Pings.  I've always been more of a feel player, and the Pings always felt kind of dead to me - zero feedback.

62256[/snapback]

I used MP29 when my handicap was 24. After a year of play with MP29, my handicap went down to 12. It depends on the person. As for me it forced me to work harder on iron shots. Now I am trying MP60 and I still think MP29 plays better for me.

I just don't understand.  The conventional wisdom seems to be that high handicap players have no business playing blades - keep reading that over and over.  Curiosity finally got the best of me, and I grabbed a set of MP-14's off of Ebay (for $100, no less!).  Out with the G2's, in with the blades.  After a couple of rounds, for God only knows what reason, I seem to be way better off.  I've been playing to a 28 all summer long, after trying to "buy" a game with all-new gear.  May have a different story to tell after a couple of months, but so far I'm playing bogey golf.

As far as I can tell there are two differences I notice.  One, there's next to no offset on the Mizunos.  I've been fighting pushes and push-slices all summer long.  Second, these irons feel much more "lively" than the Pings.  I've always been more of a feel player, and the Pings always felt kind of dead to me - zero feedback.

62256[/snapback]

I used MP29 when my handicap was 24. After a year of play with MP29, my handicap went down to 12. It depends on the person. As for me it forced me to work harder on iron shots. Now I am trying MP60 and I still think MP29 plays better for me.

62260[/snapback]

In all honesty, part of the improvement is simply leaving the driver at home. A sizeable part of my handicap is due to penalty strokes from lost balls and balls hit OB. 280 yard carry doesn't mean a thing if it ends up in someone's back yard. Much better to go 3 iron, 7 iron, and PW to get on in 3 on that narrow, tree lined par 5 I start out on. My mileage may vary, but I think I've had it with shovels - even highly rated shovels.

62256[/snapback]

62260[/snapback]

I did something simular. When I was younger I tend to play an iron for better players. I felt like I was pshing myself to hurry and play better. It was obvious when I wasnt swing right using those heads. It would hurt to hit a ball. Skank shots would be so frustrating. But when you pured a shot there was nothing like it. Like night and day. I allways did that.

Now days I tend to do the opposite at times. Play more forgiving heads. I bought a set of x-tours this year and played the best golf of my life. Equipment related???? Probably not, but it could have helped.

62256[/snapback]

Came through with the same conclusion. About 8 years ago, i was totally taking advantage of the 90 day trial at a golf retail chain. I had a new set of irons every month. From Taylor Made, Mizuno, Callaway, Titleist and then back to Mizuno's again. Mizuno Mp 14 blades by far suited me the best. I just like the way they felt, and the true feedback i got from them. Been playing with them since and still have no plans on changing even though Mizuno has come out with several newer models since the 14's. If anyone else ever run into a set of Mp 14's on ebay, i highly recommend them over the high price blades out there on the market. ($900 for a set of Nike blades?? They are not worth it)

i agree with most everyone from the above... i've always used blades in part due to my father who when I thought that i was becoming good started talking trash and said "so you think your good? Okay lemme see you pure my 3 iron" so i dropped my jr set and got some blades and really worked on my game... i feel you become a better player if you practice in difficult situations, so if you are practicing with blades you are only going to get better; henceforth, anyone can play em

whatever helps you get the ball in the hole...

if the baldes inspire confidence, then you are more likely to hit a good shot. A handicap is just a number and can be arrived at in numerous ways; just because it may be double digits does not mean you shouldn't play blades if that is what you like.

WITB:
Driver: Taylormade Sim Max 10.5*
3 Wood: Titleist 915f 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816 H2 19*
Irons: Titleist 716 CB 4-7; 716 MB 8-P
Wedges: Vokey sm6 52, 56, 60
Putter: Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Studio Style

i grew up playing wilson staff progressives. i learned to hit them and now nothing really scares me. i actually went back to the progressives for a few weeks. the heads are so small, smaller then any blade i have played lately and i still hit it on the screws every single time. ithink i hit them better the my x-tours, i have no clue what to play now.

There are some high handicappers that are great ball strikers. Their scores might inflate because of poor course management or a bad short game. I know lots of higher handicappers that play a quote "players" iron because their iron play is their biggest strength. If you're a decent ball striker and hit the ball fairly straight (because most blades have reduced offset) then give blades a try. A combo set might be a good idea too. At the end of the day it comes down to whatever works.

I used to feel the same way, but you can only get so good playing blades before your index starts to stagnate and then you better drive, chip, and putt very well or forget it, you will be stuck at 10-15 hcp for a long time.

Once I started working a lot more on drive, chip, and putt, I hardly hit balls with irons. For this reason I went to a compromise and started playing the so called 'player CBs', a cavity back, but shaped like a blade. At least this way, with less practice I felt I could still step up to the ball and just hit it with confidence. This is hard to do starting a round when you are not warmed up and you have to hit a blade 3i or 4i.

At one point early this summer, my tee game was so bad, I decided to go to an even more forgiving iron just to take pressure off that part of the game. I wanted to feel I could hit any iron any time any necessary distance. I went to X Tours and shot some of my best scores this year. But then I realized, the sole of the X Tour had too much bounce and I was struggling with some shots that were part of my regular game with less offset players clubs. Now I am into the 735CMs and loving them.

Still, you cannot go wrong with the X Tours, and if the rest of your game is there, playing blades is cool too. But many others have been down this road before me, you will not get to single digits playing blades alone, you need to have the complete package.

Hi Everyone,

This is my first post, so please bear with me. I, myself, play cavity/muscle backs. I actually play Snake Eyes TC-02 irons. I hope components don't upset anyone here, but I think it's all about what each individual is comfortable with and confident in. I truly love my irons. As a kid I had an old set of Wilson blades. I must admit that they were more difficult to hit than these clubs. I believe that if you learn/practice with something difficult to use, then it hones your skills. You'll certainly get more feedback with blades and you'll realize a pure shot more easily.

On the other hand, it seems as though technology heads in the direction of forgiveness. Take for instance the size of the newer drivers heads. The head sizes increase which in turn increases the size of the sweet spot. This would go completely against the concept of using blades. Additionally, as I have mentioned above, I think blades are more difficult to hit. More and more we hear of pros switching to hybrids. Why???... because the claim is they are easier to hit.

I'm sure this can be debated either way for a long time. Ultimately I think it's about results. What will help us to shoot lower scores? If blades boost your confidence and you feel better about using them, swing away! If cavity backs help you to feel like you have a little more room for error, thereby offering you more freedom to make a good pass at, again, swing away! I think it's all about what we feel helps us to be the best that we can be. To each his own and may the results be most satisfactory.

Best wishes and may you all shoot your best scores ever!

teecad

I wonder if the blades are heavier and that has anything to do with it? I know my control is always better when they irons are D5 or above. Could also be your swinging easier/slower (weight) to try and really hit the center of the face. When you play some huge perimeter weighted club you can swing as hard as you want and still hit it somewhere near the center.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

Unless someone is an amazing ballstriker, I just don't see the point of playing a full set of blades. I mean, do you really want to have to hit a 3 or 4 iron muscleback to a green over water that is all carry?

Combo sets offer everything you could want; forgiveness and workability. With 3-5 iron, the vast majority of players are just looking to hit the green, not attack the flag. Cavities work fine here. And if you want to hit a knockdown spinner with an 8 or 9 iron you have blades in the short irons.

Besides, the old Pro-Combos which are awesome IMO, can be had for dirt cheap nowadays. In fact, there is a nice used set for a good price in a local shop. I can resist though. I love my Eye 2's, I love my Eye 2's, I love my Eye 2's...

I wonder if the blades are heavier and that has anything to do with it?  I know my control is always better when they irons are D5 or above.  Could also be your swinging easier/slower (weight) to try and really hit the center of the face.  When you play some huge perimeter weighted club you can swing as hard as you want and still hit it somewhere near the center.

63005[/snapback]

Mabye heavier clubs help you drop it inside on the downswing?

I know the weight of the Titleist woods has helped me quite a bit with smoothing tempo and dropping the club inside. (At least I think it's the heavier weight :tongue: )

Unless someone is an amazing ballstriker, I just don't see the point of playing a full set of blades. I mean, do you really want to have to hit a 3 or 4 iron muscleback to a green over water that is all carry?

Combo sets offer everything you could want; forgiveness and workability. With 3-5 iron, the vast majority of players are just looking to hit the green, not attack the flag. Cavities work fine here. And if you want to hit a knockdown spinner with an 8 or 9 iron you have blades in the short irons.

Besides, the old Pro-Combos which are awesome IMO, can be had for dirt cheap nowadays. In fact, there is a nice used set for a good price in a local shop. I can resist though. I love my Eye 2's, I love my Eye 2's, I love my Eye 2's...

63287[/snapback]

Actually, I hit irons *way* better than woods, always have. My 3 iron is my "get off the tee and into the short grass" club. Teed up, I can fairly reliably get 230 - 240 out of it, with a slight fade or draw at worst. I was taking a fair amount of guff from my buddy today for teeing off with irons all the time, but I was usually within 15 yards of the 200 yard or 150 yard stake. We won't talk about the fact that I couldn't hit a green, or chip, or putt - grr - ! Hell, I'm even toying with the idea of getting a 1-iron...

I wonder if the blades are heavier and that has anything to do with it?  I know my control is always better when they irons are D5 or above.  Could also be your swinging easier/slower (weight) to try and really hit the center of the face.  When you play some huge perimeter weighted club you can swing as hard as you want and still hit it somewhere near the center.

63005[/snapback]

i am by no means a scratch golfer or anything but i do play mp-33's and i love the feel of them. i do find myself taking a much slower swing and concentrating on making fuller contact with them and as a result i have seen my score drop pretty fast. i know blaes aen't for everyone but i think people should give them a try and see how they feel