2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Major EE going on.

byrne092

Have to keep that right arm on top of left.    You get that right arm under too early in takeaway and from there you’re cooked.

an alternate to the stick drill. Going to feel like you get your chest pointing behind you a lot and early.

Same deal with different details

Edited by glk
  • Like 1

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

52 minutes ago, byrne092 said:

Thanks @glk - I guess one question I have is, this seems opposite of Monte's no turn portion of the swing. Granted, I probably need to revisit the backswing/takeaway portion of the drills and really work on those first. Thoughts?

Not the opposite.  Monte just doesn’t talk about right over left but he does it in his backswing part of NTC.   See it clearly in his first backswing drill where from setup you hinge wrists up then extend trail and flex lead and from there you turn until lead arm parallel.     Monte focus is on proper wrist movement without talking about forearms but he doesn’t get his right wrist below his left - if he did then he couldn't stand the club up.     When you get that right wrist under the left immediately gets behind you and flattens out from there it is a bunch of compensations.  

easier to see in slo mo - guys is a top 500 am 

Comparison at similar points - tyler still has his right forearm above his left and is standing the club up, your look to be around level to each other and shaft is flattened.     You've made good progress; it just takes time - heck, I spent almost two years battling this to some degree when finally 3 months of the stick drill really got me to get it - and even now I have to pay attention cause old habit die hard.      Just need to keep making that 1% better every day.     Only other thing of note is that if you are working on Monte's NTC you still have an open face coming into impact with is probably a bigger factor in your EE than a steep shaft in the downswing - there is always something, huh.

196963088_ScreenShot2020-10-13at1_38_25PM.png.93f6fb753c046d2798090440d262885c.png834220547_ScreenShot2020-10-13at1_35_28PM.png.66c67d86d7739b0ec15c124fcb2cc904.png

Edited by glk

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

On the club face comment.    major part of NTC is to close the face early as part of the first movement in transition - Monte's cast A.

Result would be closing face through downswing which facilitates rotation thru impact - an open face causes a reaction of body stall and trail arm straightening (typically very close to impact).   Otherwise called motorcycle move - get this and the forearm thing and frankly you'd be in the mode of refining things in your swing such as tilts, transition, etc - might have to work some footwork to complete eliminate EE but you'd have conquered the major hindrances (shallow to steep swing pattern, open face in downswing).

Comparison sequence.  Tyler's face slightly closed, face pointing more at ball, impact arm slightly bent rotation continued

2003884562_ScreenShot2020-10-13at1_55_42PM.png.4836781d056db9b8e692716b1df028c3.png8294929_ScreenShot2020-10-13at1_53_25PM.png.b49ea7397319832039e75ad7fb9bd674.png664862938_ScreenShot2020-10-13at1_57_20PM.png.b579bc6065f7b4c3739c7c8dc7980454.png

Face open (leaning back a bit), leading with hosel due to open face (land of the shanks depending), rapidly stood up and straightened right arm to square face.

347202819_ScreenShot2020-10-13at1_53_34PM.png.96fb0035be0ce5d5993cf2b0e3767bae.png6017359_ScreenShot2020-10-13at1_53_30PM.png.ca9ecaafed77164b0a9302bde0551f11.png1981344800_ScreenShot2020-10-13at1_57_10PM.png.410f835a2e8dd61229f2cd30b327cadf.png

Edited by glk
  • Like 1

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

@glkHaha I don't know whether to thank you or block you 🤣...kidding. I really appreciate it. Those are some major things to work on and i really do appreciate you pointing them out. My previous comment wasn't questioning your drills, just a question of intent on how to work on improving my BS/takeaway. I am really going to work hard on my BS.

Lots to work on.

3 minutes ago, byrne092 said:

@glkHaha I don't know whether to thank you or block you 🤣...kidding. I really appreciate it. Those are some major things to work on and i really do appreciate you pointing them out. My previous comment wasn't questioning your drills, just a question of intent on how to work on improving my BS/takeaway. I am really going to work hard on my BS.

Lots to work on.

Yeah I can geek out on swings.    I came from the same pattern as you but had the face closing - played to a 5 but distance was meh - changing the pattern gained me 30 yards.      Took almost 3 years but . . .   Been small improvements since.    Big fan of get the the general pattern of elite swings down then little tweaks - that 1% better idea.     If you make the same progress over the winter you can be playing some pretty good golf next year.  

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified

@byrne092

Hey bud I'm no pro but if you can shoot in the 70's with your old swing I honestly wouldn't make a lot of changes, maybe that's too late I don't know. There are many pros that have non conventional swings that do well, and some have lost everything trying to change their swing. A good golf swing is about a lot more than good positions, it's about having everything connected, some teaching pros get this and others never will. BTW, JB Holmes stands up through impact so it's not the worst swing fault.

"Shirtsleeve" swing technique:

1. Setup: Elbows bent forearms pressed together against shaft slightly forward of center with "Hogan" "active/flexed" leg tension left foot turned out slightly and the right leg slightly farther to the right - weight mostly on balls of feet butt of left hands sits on the top of the grip with very light grip.

2. Swing - W/o disturbing weight distribution of legs and feet lower hands while doing a forward press "swing trigger" then the left upper arm takes over on the backswing, it needs to go out in front of the body then back in front of the chest as the hands trace down initially then up to over the right shoulder "Torres". The goal is to not disturb the pressure of the feet during the initial takeaway.

Notes:

1. Only swing thought after swing trigger - extend left arm at shirt sleeve when reaching left hand over right shoulder "Shirtsleeve technique".

2. The upper left arm move "Shirtsleeve technique" can be practiced independently without a club, sitting down for instance

3. The correct feet tension can be felt by doing very short hops on the balls of the feet then holding the same feeling of pressure on the front of the feet and then taking three practice swings with the grip very loose in order to not disturb the same pressure on the feet and on the 3rd swing actively do the "Shirtsleeve" move. From there the swing should be done within a matter of seconds to not lose the feel of the legs resisting, this way this is not a learned technique as much as it is a setup technique.

@chipa I appreciate the sentiment, but being as new to the game as I am, I think it was a fluke in a good run of feels/compensations. One day I shot 94 followed by a 76. However I was playing in pretty consistently in the mid 80s. I dont have an ingrained method/swing that is long tried and true that I’m messing with. 

I didn’t take any video tonight, but I was tinkering around with the takeaway drills @glk posted above. After trying to get the right motion and feel, I think i made some progress. I paired that takeaway with the feeling of @MonteScheinblum cast A and has some really nice results, even with driver. My thought process changed a little on the cast A - I was thinking cast the club face into the ground. Obviously above I am still struggling with an open club face in the downswing, so I’m guessing this might have helped close it down a little more. 

A little better everyday is all I can hope for. 

7 minutes ago, byrne092 said:

@chipa I appreciate the sentiment, but being as new to the game as I am, I think it was a fluke in a good run of feels/compensations. One day I shot 94 followed by a 76. However I was playing in pretty consistently in the mid 80s. I dont have an ingrained method/swing that is long tried and true that I’m messing with. 

I didn’t take any video tonight, but I was tinkering around with the takeaway drills @glk posted above. After trying to get the right motion and feel, I think i made some progress. I paired that takeaway with the feeling of @MonteScheinblum cast A and has some really nice results, even with driver. My thought process changed a little on the cast A - I was thinking cast the club face into the ground. Obviously above I am still struggling with an open club face in the downswing, so I’m guessing this might have helped close it down a little more. 

A little better everyday is all I can hope for. 

Jake hutt has a nice clip on the cast today

Enjoy every sandwich

#kwonified