2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Ordered PING blue dot but got yellow dot instead!

HunterDT

Will I really notice a difference in .75*??
I got fit last week for Ping G10 irons and they had me at Blue dot with gold grips. The thing is, I just picked them up and they are yellow dot. (.75* more upgright than blue.) I am by no means a great ball striker, and I am still developing my swing. (Even in the fitting I was swinging inconsistently, but enough to determine that I could benefit from a slight lie angle adjustment.)

Will .75* more upgright litterally kill any chance of me hitting the ball properly? (sarcasm) I bet if I went to get fit again, I might end up with a yellow, who knows?? haha

What do you say? :drinks:

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='HunterDT' post='812353' date='Dec 4 2007, 06:43 PM']I got fit last week for Ping G10 irons and they had me at Blue dot with gold grips. The thing is, I just picked them up and they are yellow dot. (.75* more upgright than blue.) I am by no means a great ball striker, and I am still developing my swing. (Even in the fitting I was swinging inconsistently, but enough to determine that I could benefit from a slight lie angle adjustment.)

Will .75* more upgright litterally kill any chance of me hitting the ball properly? (sarcasm) I bet if I went to get fit again, I might end up with a yellow, who knows?? haha

What do you say? :drinks:[/quote]

If you were fitted by an authorized Ping Fitter, and your fitting indicated Blue Dot; then THAT is what you should receive. DO NOT accept anything else. Ping will stand behind you on this. Repeat, DO NOT accept the wrong clubs. By the tone of your Post, you appear to be a nice easy going guy. Don't be the fall guy for someone else's mistake. My Dad's motto was: "Neither a Scrooge Nor a Patsy Be". ;)

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best
G10 Pings - D 9*, 3W 15.5*, H 18*, 4-PW, 50*, 54*, 58*
Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

Contact the person you ordered them from. PING will send you a "call tag" - a prepaid return label. (Obviously, do not hit them in the interim.) PING will send you replacement irons, usually pretty quick.

I had this happen on a fairway wood. They sent me the wrong loft. I had the replacement in hand before I even got the return label for the first FW. (I think it took about 3 days after I reported the error.)

[quote name='kkjp1' post='812427' date='Dec 4 2007, 07:48 PM']Sounds like GG is trying to stick you with a set they had in stock. I doubt very much they ordered Blue dot and Ping sent Yellow dot. I bet the mistake is on the GG end not Ping. I agree take them back.[/quote]

My thoughts exactly! Let Ping know what is going on, check to see if the store even ordered the clubs for you or just tried to unload inventory.

You got fitted for blue for a reason, get what you ordered, nothing less.

[quote name='kkjp1' post='812427' date='Dec 4 2007, 07:48 PM']Sounds like GG is trying to stick you with a set they had in stock. I doubt very much they ordered Blue dot and Ping sent Yellow dot. I bet the mistake is on the GG end not Ping. I agree take them back.[/quote]

I was thinking the same thing. Please keep us updated as to how you make out. The members of GolfWrx can bring a lot of heat when a "Wrong" has been committed! :drinks:

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best
G10 Pings - D 9*, 3W 15.5*, H 18*, 4-PW, 50*, 54*, 58*
Redwood Zing
Titleist ProV1

Was the iron set fit to you with all the same dot color? The reason I ask is because I was fitted with green dot and a few of the shorter irons and wedges blue dot. When Ping sent my clubs, all the actual dot colors of the set were green although the short irons came in at one degree flat (blue dot). Seems trivial, but I was actually pleased they decided to match the dot color.

If the mistake is GG then I would expect GG to take care of it for you. They're a well-known retailer that stands behind what they sell I think. The good thing with Ping is, worst case scenario you send the irons back to them and they adjust the lies to blue.......that's something they do every day and is a part of why we all like Ping so much.

I will keep you informed as to where the mistake was made. The 4 iron came with a big yellow tag on it with all of the information. (Including my name under the special notes section.) It all looks legit as there are the workers signatures all in the little boxes next to their jobs. The tag clearly says CLR YELLOW.

We shall see tomorrow morning.

So, if they get sent back, ping will bend them and then paint the dot blue?

It would appear that Golf Galaxy placed the wrong order for you, not Ping making the mistake.

Ping will loft and lie and change color codes for free but you would have to pay for shipping.

PING G430 LST 9°
PING G430 LST FW #3
PING G430 HY #2
PING G410 Crossover #3
PING i525 #5,
PING i59 #6-PW
PING Glide 4.0 50°, 54°, 60°
PING PLD Anser 2D, Patina finish

Yes. 0.75* is a big difference. Send them back and if they give any excuses ask for your money back and reorder else where...

Driver - Titleist TS3 9.5* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD IZ-6x

3 wood - Titleist TS2 15* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-7x

5wood - Titleist TS2 18* w/ Graphite Design Tour AD DI-8x

Irons - Srixon ZX7 4, Srixon Z Forged 5- PW w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus 3 Tour 120X

Gap Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 52* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Sand Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore 58* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Lob Wedge - Cleveland RTX Zipcore Full Face 64* w/ Nippon NS Pro Modus Wedge 115

Putter - Bettinardi DASS Diamond Face BB8 w/ Stability Tour Black

Ball - Srixon Z Star

I called PING and the guy said that .75* wouldnt be too drastic a difference, but if I do see my ballflight constantly going left to send them in and they will adjust them to blue dot for me. "Play a couple rounds, see how they are." He said that the order was probably put in wrong. I do see here on the order form: "blue dot YELLOW grip" Its a GOLD grip, not yellow. I bet that is where it happened.

[b][i]EDIT:[/i][/b] Ok, GG ordered a yellow dot. I spoke with the guy who fit me. He said that all along I would have been a yellow on the new color chart. He was used to the old chart and went with a blue on that. When he put the order in, he realized the mistake and ordered yellow. I tend to believe him because he said he tried calling me that day to explain and I did get a missed call from GG on my Cell phone. So, I guess I really am a yellow dot! haha :drinks:

If I spent the time to get custom fitted and dropped $600+ on clubs I would want to ensure I received exactly what I was fitted for and ordered.

.75* may not seem drastic but if a simple push for the right clubs solves problems why not do it now? You live in Buffalo, doesn't appear to be golf season up there anytime soon! :drinks:

Well, he said that I could definitley come back in and get fit again if I want to clear all of this up. I'm no pro and I dont know what I need, so why not believe the fitter and accept the fact that I am yellow, but he mistakenly was just said blue after my fitting? He caught himself and realized that blue was wrong and went with yellow. Yellow being a .5* more upgright than the old blue, correct?

Well, he said that I could definitley come back in and get fit again if I want to clear all of this up. I'm no pro and I dont know what I need, so why not believe the fitter and accept the fact that I am yellow, but he mistakenly was just said blue after my fitting? He caught himself and realized that blue was wrong and went with yellow. Yellow being a .5* more upgright than the old blue, correct?

Old Color Codes:

OldPingColorCode.jpg?t=1196873977

New Color Codes:

newPingCoorCodes.jpg?t=1196873982

I found out with my last PING order (~3 weeks ago) that the new color code system has caught a lot of retailers by surprise. When I ordered my wedge with "The new green dot of 2.25o, not the old green dot of 2o." The salesperson's response was "PING has a new color code system?" And this was a well-respected store that I have used many times, and a good, knowledgeable salesperson."

Thanks for the information. So, it isnt too far fetched to think "old blue" but realize that there is a yellow now that is more for me? I think I am going to keep these babies. When I get home, I will apologize to them for the harsh words that were spoken in their presence. Hopefully they will forgive me. I heard these clubs have a lot of forgivness! Bah Zing!!! "Thank you, thank you I'll be here all week." :drinks:

[quote name='HunterDT' post='813176' date='Dec 5 2007, 12:16 PM']Thanks for the information. So, it isnt too far fetched to think "old blue" but realize that there is a yellow now that is more for me? I think I am going to keep these babies. When I get home, I will apologize to them for the harsh words that were spoken in their presence. Hopefully they will forgive me. I heard these clubs have a lot of forgivness! Bah Zing!!! "Thank you, thank you I'll be here all week." :drinks:[/quote]

My clubs hate me regardless of what I say to them - forgiveness in clubs is a complete falacy!

I can tell you that the new fitting cart clubs came out just in the last week or two, and they now fit with 7-irons rather than 6's, since the 7 is more in the middle of most ironsets
( 4-gw or 4-sw is more common than 3-pw these days).

TM M1 , Matrix White Tie
Tour Edge Exotics EX8 14*
TEE EX8 16.5*, Rogue 60
Callaway Steelhead XR 3-AW, Recoil 760
Cal. Mack Daddy 2 54* ,Recoil 95
Cal. MD PM 58*, Recoil 95
Rife Bellevue, SNSR Red 104
Super Stroke S-tech grips
Wilson Duo-U

[quote name='sdrem' post='817455' date='Dec 9 2007, 01:23 AM']I can tell you that the new fitting cart clubs came out just in the last week or two, and they now fit with 7-irons rather than 6's, since the 7 is more in the middle of most ironsets
( 4-gw or 4-sw is more common than 3-pw these days).[/quote]

That is exactly what I got. 4-UW. I am getting a G10 7wood soon. I am freakin' loving these clubs! I feel like I'm cheating. I wish it was April!!! :russian_roulette:

[quote name='RickinMA' post='812372' date='Dec 4 2007, 06:58 PM']Maltby says a 1* error in lie angle will create a 22 foot miss at 100 yards with a PW
.75* off would be unacceptable in my clubs[/quote]

Maltby also says that the R7 CBG Max iron is harder to hit than a Callaway X forged with his MPF. You choose how much you'd like to trust his wisdom. :russian_roulette:

[quote name='flavaflave' post='817919' date='Dec 9 2007, 03:32 PM'][quote name='RickinMA' post='812372' date='Dec 4 2007, 06:58 PM']Maltby says a 1* error in lie angle will create a 22 foot miss at 100 yards with a PW
.75* off would be unacceptable in my clubs[/quote]

Maltby also says that the R7 CBG Max iron is harder to hit than a Callaway X forged with his MPF. You choose how much you'd like to trust his wisdom. :russian_roulette:
[/quote]

Are you kidding? I LOVE the MPF since it tells me my 6 iron is harder to hit than an X-forged - I love those excuses and can't get enough of them! Not only that, it might just be the rationalization I need to get another set of irons for next year.
:partytime2: