LA South Bay (MB, Hermosa, Redondo, etc.)

dvq9654

I'm currently based on the Westside of LA, but hoping to relocate to the South Bay area in the relative near term. The Westside isn't exactly a golf mecca, unless you can afford one of the elite country clubs, but it's easy enough to jump up to the valley for decent golf (as long as you play early enough). Golf is pretty important to me, so I want to make sure I at least have some options nearby, which it doesn't seem like there are many in the South Bay. For those that live in the area - where do you play / recommend? I know there is Trump and Los Verdes (both with their own issues from what I've heard), but any others I should be aware of (public or private)? Thanks in advance. 

Terranea is very fun

• Like 1

Current WITB:

Titleist TSR3 9.5 - Ventus Velocore Black 6X / Tensei 1K Black 6TX

Callaway Paradym Triple Diamond 3+ - Ventus Velocore Blue TR 7X

Taylor Made UDI 2 - Project X HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5

Taylor Made P790 3 and 4 - KBS C-Taper 120S

Taylor Made P760 5-PW - KBS C-Taper 120S

Callaway MD5 Jaws 52.12 W and 58.12 X - DG 115 Wedge

Toulon Las Vegas 2022 - Stroke Lab 34"

I've lived in the South Bay for 6 years (Manhattan Beach) and I can tell you this with 100% certainty - playing golf and getting to golf in the South Bay is not easy and not good. 

I used to have an office in Century City and would play Rancho Park every week (pre pandemic when you could actually get a tee time before 5pm).  I would also go down to Long Beach area and play Navy Destroyer, Skylinks and ElDo, etc...but that was still a min of 35-45 min each way on the 405.

If golf is important to you and and you are not going the private route I would reset your expectations around when/where and how much you play.  

Yes, Los Verdes is a $hit show for getting tee times and PoP.  Trump National is just not a good course.  Conditions are great but layout is extremely unforgiving and frankly pretty boring (and way too expensive).  Not to mention getting to LV and Trump is not easy - it will take you 30-40 min min each way to get to each from HB or Redondo.  Don't bother with Chester Washington (becoming a homeless encampment) or Alondra - both are pretty bad and not worth it.  

Palos Verdes Golf Club is in a perfect spot to the locations you are considering but it's $70k to join.  Rollings Hills CC is another gem but its initiaton is 3-4x that of PVGC.  

In short golf and the South Bay beach cities just don't go together.  Someone told me when I moved here, and asked the same question you are asking, "take up surfing".  They were right. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 5/24/2021 at 8:34 AM, tw422 said:

In short golf and the South Bay beach cities just don't go together.  Someone told me when I moved here, and asked the same question you are asking, "take up surfing".  They were right. 

Thanks for all the good info. That's not what I wanted to hear, but was also what I was expecting, as my searches turned up no good options. I'll have to figure out if private is an option, cause surfing isn't going to do it for me...

Edited by dvq9654

On 5/24/2021 at 10:52 AM, dvq9654 said:

Thanks for all the good info. That's not what I wanted to hear, but was also what I was expecting, as my searches turned up no good options. I'll have to figure out if private is an option, cause surfing isn't going to do it for me...

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer on this subject but it is what it is.  If money were not an issue I would join either PVGC or Rollings Hill CC in a heartbeat but outside of that there just isn't anything local that is worth playing. 

There are other mid tier and lower end CC within 45 min like Old Ranch CC (Seal Beach - good but not great course with good facilities) and SeaCliffe CC (dated facilities and decent course) in Huntington that are reasonable but then you're in your car for 45 min each way with traffic (at a min). 

There is also Candlewood CC in Downey (lower end - fun, older and shorter course) but that will take you the same amount of time to get to if not more.  I researched the hell out of this when I moved here as golf was important to me and there just is not an optimal solution unless you're willing to drop big time $$$ on a private club.

4 minutes ago, tw422 said:

Sorry to be a Debbie Downer on this subject but it is what it is.  If money were not an issue I would join either PVGC or Rollings Hill CC in a heartbeat but outside of that there just isn't anything local that is worth playing. 

I'd be willing to spend the money if needed, but I reached out to Rolling Hills and the Jr. Exec waitlist is 8 years, so it's effectively not even an option even if you put money aside. Still waiting to hear from PVGC, but imagine it's a similar situation. 

1 minute ago, dvq9654 said:

I'd be willing to spend the money if needed, but I reached out to Rolling Hills and the Jr. Exec waitlist is 8 years, so it's effectively not even an option even if you put money aside. Still waiting to hear from PVGC, but imagine it's a similar situation. 

If you qualify for Jr. Exec then PVGC could be an option.  Not sure on wait list. I'm 50 and therefore on the hook for the full amount. 

I lived in Torrance area for 12 years. I am not a wealthy guy so i was stuck with public courses.

My favorites were El Dorado, Navy Destroyer, Montebello CC, Rio Hondo, Los Verdes, Lakewood CC.  I would make due at places like Rancho park, Rec Park, Skylinks, even going up to Brookside at the rose bowl. I avoided lower end stuff like Alondra (I worked there for 2 years,) Victoria, La Mirada, Chester Washington or Westchester but would go in a pinch if I had a last minute opportunity to get out. (late permission from the Mrs.)

I tried to play 2 rounds in the LA area a month and then once somewhere far. Like anything between Santa Barbara, Palm Springs & San Diego. Also helped me to go see some of those places after the round and make a day of it.

Another alternative that was fun is the Harbor Park 9 hole course. its ~full length with 2 par 5s. Some fun stuff, just to hit the ball, swing the driver it works.

I have played PVGC, RHCC (pre-redesign,) Wilshire, Riviera. They were all good, Wilshire was my least favorite. Riviera for the history was great but PV was a lot of fun also. RH the old design was meh. I'm sure the new is better. Sherwood was just ok. Braemar was forgettable. Never played Hillcrest, Virginia, El Caballero, Old Ranch, Lakeside etc. Had a few chances to get on some of those.

I worked at Trump National for a while before the course opened to the public. Its ok. Narrow, windy. Clientele was nice but the coworkers were the biggest douches I knew in all of L.A. Its not a place you'll want to play frequently IMO.

TaylorMade Qi10 LS 9° w/ PX HZRDUS Gen4 Black 75 6.0

TaylorMade SIM ROCKET 14.5° w/ PX Handcrafted EvenFlow Black 75 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 3-19° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

TaylorMade SIM 2 Max Rescue 4-22° w/ PX RDX Smoke 90 6.5

Srixon ZU85 5 26° w/ PX RDX Smoke 100 6.5

Srixon ZX7 6-PW w/ Nippon Modus Tour125 X

Cleveland 588 RTX 52° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Srixon WG-706 56° w/ Nippon Modus Prototype C10 S
Scotty Cameron SSS Circle T Newport Beach w/ UST Frequency Filter

I'm right there with you . . . PVGC does not seem worth the dues for non-PV residents for a club that allows public play and has a public clubhouse, RHCC is incredibly expensive, and then the closest other options would be Mountaingate or Old Ranch which are a bit overpriced and corporate let alone the fact they can be 40 min away in traffic (MG seems like the much better choice of the two). For public courses, Trump is pretty good but makes for a pretty underwhelming home course if you play it a lot, and everything else can be an hour away (Black Gold, Rio Hondo, Industry Hills, Pelican Hill, Oak Quarry, Goose Creek). I also think the LB courses are all fine, but pace of play can be horrible and it's kind of a bummer to love golf and have to settle for those.  I'm looking at joining a club by Pasadena because then you can at least take the ExpressLane and know it'll probably be about 35-40 min even with traffic, but it's still frustrating to commit to pay the cost of a private club with limited ability to use it so far away on the weekdays. 

On 5/31/2021 at 10:03 PM, BushwoodBlaster said:

If you are willing to spend quite a bit definitely look into Virginia Country Club as well.  When it's all said and done it might be one of the shorter commutes to play at a private club from the South Bay.

Forgot to mention Virginia CC and agreed on your assessement.  Great course, with good clubhouse and facilities.  Not that bad in terms of commute from where OP lives.

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/28/2021 at 10:09 PM, BushwoodBlaster said:

Maybe it's time we bring up this proposal again 🙂

http://blogs.dailybreeze.com/history/2010/07/28/laxs-ghost-town/

Links style course, one time please!

Could be a phenomenal site for a golf course...but with CA politics (i.e. priority placed on butterfly habitat) I don't see it ever happening.  Also, letting LA County Parks & Rec would be a massive $hit show.  PoP would be worse than Los Verdes.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...