P90X DVD

Emperoryder

[quote name='mmp' date='15 July 2010 - 12:34 AM' timestamp='1279168470' post='2576974']
Ok...need to push back a few days...but thats okay, I am getting everything I need. I got some whey protein and a few protein bars from GNC tonight. Only got a few to try out for taste. Any particular bar you guys/gals get?

Will be going to Kroger on Saturday to buy the phase I menu items.

Also with regard to reps what do you follow...the 8-10 reps or the 12-15? Additionally, how come the people in the video (Chest and Back) are doing like 20-30 reps? How does that fit in with the 8-10 or 12-15?

Did anyone get or use a heart monitor?

Thanks for all the help.
[/quote]

The 8-10 or 12-15 rule is for exercises using weights. It's a guide to help choose the right weight depending on your gaol. Anything using your body weight is almost always to failure, though I pace myself on the first half of the workouts and don't really go to failure. Towards the end, you don't really have to GO to failure. Instead, failure tends to find you, lol.

BTW, don't worry, you won't be able to do as many as them. I'm 5 weeks in and can do 6-7 pull-ups wtih the easiest arm position. I just go to failure (usually 1-5) then use the chair for a few more.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='thenewbie' date='15 July 2010 - 03:10 PM' timestamp='1279221042' post='2578070']

The 8-10 or 12-15 rule is for exercises using weights. It's a guide to help choose the right weight depending on your gaol. Anything using your body weight is almost always to failure, though I pace myself on the first half of the workouts and don't really go to failure. Towards the end, you don't really have to GO to failure. Instead, failure tends to find you, lol.

BTW, don't worry, you won't be able to do as many as them. I'm 5 weeks in and can do 6-7 pull-ups wtih the easiest arm position. I just go to failure (usually 1-5) then use the chair for a few more.
[/quote]

Thanks, I have no misconceptions about being able to keep up on the pull-ups...I can only barely get to one...ouch that hurts to write. Based on the reps being for the exercises with weights, I will probably go with the 8-10 range, I would like to build up some muscle and get stronger. I guess I will have to play it by ear.

Do you think the 10-15 range more golf oriented, i.e. fast twitch muscle versus bulk...

Or I could just start the program already and stop asking questions...lol.

[quote name='mmp' date='16 July 2010 - 01:12 PM' timestamp='1279300338' post='2580143']
[quote name='thenewbie' date='15 July 2010 - 03:10 PM' timestamp='1279221042' post='2578070']

[/quote]

Thanks, I have no misconceptions about being able to keep up on the pull-ups...I can only barely get to one...ouch that hurts to write. Based on the reps being for the exercises with weights, I will probably go with the 8-10 range, I would like to build up some muscle and get stronger. I guess I will have to play it by ear.

Do you think the 10-15 range more golf oriented, i.e. fast twitch muscle versus bulk...

[/quote]

I am a P90X grad from earlier this year. Regarding pull-ups - I have a bar that goes over the doorway, but then I just used it to wrap the bands. I did all of the back exercises sitting on the floor with the bands over the bar. It worked well.

I went through the program once and after a few months off am about to start it again. From that experience I can offer the following (non-expert) advice:

1) Don't skip yoga like i did, it is the KEY workout for flexibility, athletic performance, INJURY PREVENTION, and of course GOLF!

2) Diet is not optional - you can slack a little but try and stick to the general parameters of high protein and low carb in the beginning and so on thereafter. The coolest thing is that if u eat healthy, you can eat soooo much food because your body turns into a freaking calorie burning furnace. Its fun to eat 5 meals a day and lose inches.

3) Throw away the scale and buy a tape measure. I went from a 38" waist to 34" and only lost about 15lbs. It's like all the weight just moved from my gut to my chest and shoulders.

4) Keep track of your workouts religiously and push urself every time to beat your previous. On back/chest days I would add up my total pull/push ups and try to beat that too, so I wouldn't do more one exercise and slack in another.

Don't try and wait for the perfect day to start, just jump right in and get going. You won't be disappointed.

[quote name='sigmapete1' date='16 July 2010 - 04:05 PM' timestamp='1279310756' post='2580480']
I went through the program once and after a few months off am about to start it again. From that experience I can offer the following (non-expert) advice:

1) Don't skip yoga like i did, it is the KEY workout for flexibility, athletic performance, INJURY PREVENTION, and of course GOLF!

2) Diet is not optional - you can slack a little but try and stick to the general parameters of high protein and low carb in the beginning and so on thereafter. The coolest thing is that if u eat healthy, you can eat soooo much food because your body turns into a freaking calorie burning furnace. Its fun to eat 5 meals a day and lose inches.

3) Throw away the scale and buy a tape measure. I went from a 38" waist to 34" and only lost about 15lbs. It's like all the weight just moved from my gut to my chest and shoulders.

4) Keep track of your workouts religiously and push urself every time to beat your previous. On back/chest days I would add up my total pull/push ups and try to beat that too, so I wouldn't do more one exercise and slack in another.

Don't try and wait for the perfect day to start, just jump right in and get going. You won't be disappointed.
[/quote]

+1.

I have been kicking myself in the butt mentally for falling apart after finishing a round of P90X in April of '09. Best shape of my life ever and I p!ssed it all away. Sigh. My problem is I haven't been able to find the motivation that I did the first time. I've tried restarting a few times and even made it through 6 weeks before falling off the wagon. Maybe I need a shrink? I've been using the golf excuse a bit. Workout or golf? I think I'll golf.

Frustrating but at least I know it's all in my head, so no one to blame but me.

So anyone have any ideas how to motivate myself? I'm kinda disgusted with the shape I'm in and how I let myself down. I know this kind of thinking won't help me any and just makes matters worse.

I'm on week 5.

Using a home scale to compare weight and body fat %, my results in 5 weeks have been to put on 5 lbs (a good thing) and drop 4% body fat (to 11%). The change in the first 2 weeks was dramatic and visible. The change in the second 2 weeks was less visible, but was obvious during workouts because strength and stamina continued to increase. I strained my left hamstring in Week 2 but it has recovered by Week 5.

The "recovery" week hurt me mentally. It's stupid to fall victim to something like a label, but during recovery week I found it easier to slack off because I was supposed to be "resting/recovering" anyway. This is absolutely not true, because the recovery week workouts are easily as strenuous as the "real" workouts, they just focus on core training instead of arms/back/shoulders. Instead of recovery week, it should be called "core week".

I like the routine change in phase 2. It was obvious after Day 1 of Week 5 that the intensity was getting ramped up for Phase 2 and I loved it. I had stopped getting sore, even pushing as hard as I could during Phase 1, but Phase 2 brought some soreness back and it was wonderful.

I've been very impatient waiting for the 6-pack to start to pop. I'm 41 and haven't had one since high school. At 11% I'm close, and there are days when I'm flushing fluids well that I can see it trying to show through.

I don't think there's anything magic about P90X, but it is a good, structured program that addresses consistent exercise and good diet. I went from 2 cases of Coke a week to zero. I haven't been through a drive-thru or ordered a pizza. I went from snacking on chips or pretzels to snacking on carrots and celery or non-fat yogurt. I went from skipping breakfast to making a point of eating a good, low fat breakfast every day. I went from making up what I wanted to do each day based on how I felt to having to follow a video that dragged me through specific exercises in a specific order whether I felt like doing them or not. Doing those things will produce results every time, regardless of what program it is.

Titleist TSi3 9* B2T2 Tensei AV Raw White / Cobra SZ Tour 3W Tensei AV Blue 15* / Cobra F6 Baffler Matrix Red Tie 18.5* / Maltby KE4 TC 22* / Maltby TS1 IM 5-GW Nippon Modus 120x / Taylormade Hi-Toe 54*/60* / Cobra Supernova

[quote name='mmp' date='16 July 2010 - 01:12 PM' timestamp='1279300338' post='2580143']

[/quote]

[/quote]

Even Jason Zuback said that big muscles don't really help with golf, and he's a beast.

I tend to go lighter on the weight. Even when I was hitting the gym hard I would tend towards lighter weight and focus on form, trying to feel the muscles squeezing then relaxing.

The thing I believe will help my golf game the most is flexability and core, which is also where I've seen the best results. I can almost put my palms on the floor with straight legs. There can't be many 6' 220 lb guys that can do that.

Hey guys, quick question. I assume P90X is an everyday thing and that you'd be unable to golf after doing P90X for the day. Would it work for me to do P90X in the afternoon (5-6 PM) after I golf? During school season, could the occasional 9 PM starting time hurt me? I really want to do this program but I can't afford to lose practice time this close to school season and especially because this'll go INTO school season.

To anyone who's completed at least half of the program (preferably all), have you noticed an increase in distance? How much if so?

[quote name='Eag1e' date='17 July 2010 - 11:26 AM' timestamp='1279383990' post='2581722']
Hey guys, quick question. I assume P90X is an everyday thing and that you'd be unable to golf after doing P90X for the day. Would it work for me to do P90X in the afternoon (5-6 PM) after I golf? During school season, could the occasional 9 PM starting time hurt me? I really want to do this program but I can't afford to lose practice time this close to school season and especially because this'll go INTO school season.

To anyone who's completed at least half of the program (preferably all), have you noticed an increase in distance? How much if so?
[/quote]

I have been on p90x for 6 months and luv it. You will definitely notice some increase in distance (only 1/2 club for me). The first month or so will be tough trying to do in morning and then play practice. I would try afternoon sessions first. I have worked out my whole life and am much older than you (38) but like I said I have worked out in the gym and played ice hockey and wrestled my whole life and this is by far the best workout regimen I have ever done. I wish it was round when I was in high school. Your flexibility and core will benefit the most. Good luck with upcoming season.

p90x links:

[url="http://ezinearticles.com/?The-P90X-Workout-Schedule---Classic,-Lean,-Doubles---Which-is-Right-For-You?&id=2337165"]http://ezinearticles...You?&id=2337165[/url]

[url="http://fitnesscoachrob.com/training.htm"]http://fitnesscoachr...om/training.htm[/url]

[quote name='Eag1e' date='17 July 2010 - 12:26 PM' timestamp='1279383990' post='2581722']

[/quote]

Short answer; yes. My wife gets off work later then me, so I usually go practice after work for an hour or two, then meet her at home and workout.

You'll be sore, but soreness won't stop you from swinging a club. If you have trouble swinging then it's more then soreness and you should take it a bit easier in that workout.

Day 1 workout is in the books

Okay the second round of diamond push-ups was a fail...I went down and didn't come back up...did a few on my knees. Ab Ripper was also very tough. I tried to do as many as I could--usually 10-12 range...ugh...I am out of shape.

I wasn't sore after, but i am begining to feel it a bit now.

For those who do the workouts in the morning, how do you eat around the work-out and do your recovery drink....

thanks

matt

Before getting into golf, working out like it was religious was (still kinda is) one of my things. So I'm intrigued with this topic. I haven't read the entire thread, but I'm sure that someone has added some sound info to this thread on a really cool workout program.

I've been a martial arts guy for nearly 30 years. And got into the "cross fit" "style of working out back in the early 90's. P90x is a take on MMA/cross fit style work outs. The guy that created it really laid it out well. I've been a trainer for a long time, and one of the most over looked parts of working out big time is stretching.

The work outs in this program (any programs if set up well) can only be enhanced to a huge degree by including stretching. Muscle cross section and nervous response are absolutely enhanced, as is blood flow. With good blood flow, soreness is typically not a huge issue. If soreness is an issue, do a good warm up for 15 or 20 minutes and the blood flow will remove the lactic acid that is causing the soreness in the first place.

All of that said, this program can be great for golfers, and anyone who uses their core in their athletic endeavors.

**stepping off soap box....

Day 2 and Plyo kicked my but. I couldn't keep up and I thought my legs were in okay shape. The squat jacks are just plain evil. I thought I was okay until I had to walk up two flights of stairs after the work out...ouch! Lucky for me, my kids have swimming lessons tonight and won't have time for a bike ride.

My back (under my shoulders/arm pits really) is starting to get pretty sore. From everything I have read, this should peak tomorrow.

Trying to stick to the portion plan of the nutrition guide...but that is a ton of protein. What does everyone do for breakfast (along with their protein drink if they work out in the morning).

Thanks for all the help 2 days down 88 to go.

[quote name='mmp' date='18 July 2010 - 10:00 AM' timestamp='1279461609' post='2583309']
Day 1 workout is in the books

Okay the second round of diamond push-ups was a fail...I went down and didn't come back up...did a few on my knees. Ab Ripper was also very tough. I tried to do as many as I could--usually 10-12 range...ugh...I am out of shape.

I wasn't sore after, but i am begining to feel it a bit now.

For those who do the workouts in the morning, how do you eat around the work-out and do your recovery drink....

thanks

matt
[/quote]

As for eating with morning workouts, I woke up at 6am and was pressing play by 615am. Then breakfast at 730ish would be 2 egg whites and 1 full egg omelet with skim milk cheese and maybe some diced peppers and onions and also a smoothie with strawberries, bannanas, skim milk, ice, and whey protein.

[quote name='Eag1e' date='17 July 2010 - 12:26 PM' timestamp='1279383990' post='2581722']

[/quote]

After the first week or so, I had no problem whatsoever working out in the morning and playing golf after work. I would think that would work better (if you can wake up in the morning) then golf followed immediately by a workout. You may be too fatigued to get good results from the workout. That's not a professional opinion, just my thoughts from experience.

[quote name='sigmapete1' date='19 July 2010 - 01:23 PM' timestamp='1279560183' post='2585907']
As for eating with morning workouts, I woke up at 6am and was pressing play by 615am. Then breakfast at 730ish would be 2 egg whites and 1 full egg omelet with skim milk cheese and maybe some diced peppers and onions and also a smoothie with strawberries, bannanas, skim milk, ice, and whey protein.
[/quote]

Did you ever try to eat something before working out. I was reading on the beach body forum and some people would drink a protein drink and work out about 15 minutes later.

Trying to decide if I should try and work out after putting kids to bed b/c I was really hungry during the workout.

[quote name='mmp' date='19 July 2010 - 03:26 PM' timestamp='1279567583' post='2586235']
[quote name='sigmapete1' date='19 July 2010 - 01:23 PM' timestamp='1279560183' post='2585907']
[/quote]

Did you ever try to eat something before working out. I was reading on the beach body forum and some people would drink a protein drink and work out about 15 minutes later.

Trying to decide if I should try and work out after putting kids to bed b/c I was really hungry during the workout.
[/quote]

Dude, in all honesty you're doing an a** kicking workout EVERY day, so it really doesn't matter when you work out......that's the beauty, you tailor it to your lifestyle.

The fact is if you workout in the morning before breakfast your body has nothing to burn apart from what is stored in your body at the time.....i.e. there is more potential to burn fat (if thats what you want). Sure, if you are used to eating in the morning it's gonna be hard to exercise without eating first, but thats the challenge. In Phase 1 the goal is to get leaner/melt the fat - and working out before breakfast will aid this. However when you get to Phase 3 if you are still working out (and maybe trying to get bigger) in the morning you may want to eat or have some recovery drink to help you through the workouts to get the most out of each one.

However, only you can find out if you can workout on a full stomach. So you may want to think about waiting a bit before starting your exercise after you've eaten - say 20 mins or so - but only you can find out what you're comfortable with.

So basically you have loads of options, but when it comes down to it, if you do the workout every day you're gonna eventually get fitter, leaner and generally healthier. When you do the workout itself is really up to you.

Keep it going.

I've just finished the P90 X program and found it to be a GREAT workout. Saying that, I cut out a lot of the dvd's. I found that the ab ripper and pylo were just too hard on my back. I ended up just doing the strength training segments, yoga twice weekly at a local studio (have done yoga for 2 yrs prior to this), and jogging twice weekly. During the recovery weeks, I just jogged and did yoga.

In terms of the diet, I flipped through the diet book, but basically just stuck to a low carb, high protein diet. Instead of my bowel of cereal in the morning, I have a protein shake and protein bar; usually a salad in the afternoon; and a low fat meal for dinner. Cut out the chips, fries, and burgers!

My results were loss of 12 lbs and decrease in waist size from 35" to 31".

At 46, I found myself working out less (2-3 times/week) and eating crappy. What the program made me realize is that eating a sensible diet and working out every day, you can fit back into that tux that you wore at your wedding!

[quote name='HighandDry' date='20 July 2010 - 12:40 AM' timestamp='1279604407' post='2587469']
I've just finished the P90 X program and found it to be a GREAT workout. Saying that, I cut out a lot of the dvd's. I found that the ab ripper and pylo were just too hard on my back. I ended up just doing the strength training segments, yoga twice weekly at a local studio (have done yoga for 2 yrs prior to this), and jogging twice weekly. During the recovery weeks, I just jogged and did yoga.

In terms of the diet, I flipped through the diet book, but basically just stuck to a low carb, high protein diet. Instead of my bowel of cereal in the morning, I have a protein shake and protein bar; usually a salad in the afternoon; and a low fat meal for dinner. Cut out the chips, fries, and burgers!

My results were loss of 12 lbs and decrease in waist size from 35" to 31".

At 46, I found myself working out less (2-3 times/week) and eating crappy. What the program made me realize is that eating a sensible diet and working out every day, you can fit back into that tux that you wore at your wedding!
[/quote]

I cut out plyo after week 2 and also "customized" ab ripper for less strain on my back. I am friendly with a lot of trainers in town and every one of them use p90x movements with their clients to some extent. 100% of them don't care for the plyo dvd as they said the high impact on joints isn't worth it.

[quote name='varsityhacker' date='20 July 2010 - 07:32 AM' timestamp='1279629134' post='2587721']
The plyo disk to me is the best cardio the program offers, having said that I now do Inanity for my cardio portion.
[/quote]

Hey Varsity. I actually like the insanity also. Tough.... You get up to Georgia Mountains and play at all? Old Union in Blairsville is a new great course.

[quote name='Futurestraderbc' date='20 July 2010 - 08:44 AM' timestamp='1279629861' post='2587730']
[quote name='varsityhacker' date='20 July 2010 - 07:32 AM' timestamp='1279629134' post='2587721']
The plyo disk to me is the best cardio the program offers, having said that I now do Inanity for my cardio portion.
[/quote]

Hey Varsity. I actually like the insanity also. Tough.... You get up to Georgia Mountains and play at all? Old Union in Blairsville is a new great course.
[/quote]

I play all over the place, but have not played Old Union I will check it out. Insanity to me is a great supplemental program to a strength program I wouldn't do it alone. It is tough you have to really push yourself hard to the finish, I thought I was in great shape until the pure cardio disk.

[quote name='bu11dog' date='21 July 2010 - 10:59 AM' timestamp='1279724394' post='2590179']
[quote name='mmp' date='21 July 2010 - 09:40 AM' timestamp='1279719653' post='2590035']
Yoga tonight...I am looking forward to the a** kicking from the various threads here.
[/quote]

To me the yoga dvd was the hardest of them all. Of course I have about as much flexibility as a telephone pole.
[/quote]

Yoga killed me the first few times. I think it's because you can't just stop at failure like on other things. You just have to keep trying to hold yourself up. I still don't hold my knees up in upward dog. But my flexibility has increased big time from the whole program. My fit test for stretching was 2" over my feet. Now, at the end up yoga, I can put 2" of my WRISTS over the tips of my feet, and put my forhead on my knees. I can also put my palms on the ground, knees straight.

Yoga and plyo both suck, but I look forward to those days because that's when I lose the most weight.

As for plyo, I love it. We skip the sports bonus and I hate some of the moves (rock star hops. . .we live in a condo and I can't help but land like a bag of bricks.), but it just works so well for combining strangth in the legs and cardio.

I also modify ab ripper, but I do it completely different. I'm not trying to have ripped hip flexors. I do a combination of crunches of different types I've learned over the years, then pick it up with oblique V's. I also skip the twisting thing at the end because I have bad shoulders that tend to pop out of socket when I try that move and others like it.

Took a 3 day break after Week 1, and now into week 2. Needed to heal from the soreness of Plyo and an overstretched bicep and pectoral muscle. Ive lost about 3-4 pounds, and even better I feel lighter on my feet, my knee doesnt ache at night. Ive checked out the p90x message board, and they mention that over half of the weight lose will be from the diet, so Ive been sticking with the Phase I diet. No more subway sandwiches :(

[quote name='TheWoat' date='21 July 2010 - 11:37 AM' timestamp='1279726629' post='2590240']
Took a 3 day break after Week 1, and now into week 2. Needed to heal from the soreness of Plyo and an overstretched bicep and pectoral muscle. Ive lost about 3-4 pounds, and even better I feel lighter on my feet, my knee doesnt ache at night. Ive checked out the p90x message board, and they mention that over half of the weight lose will be from the diet, so Ive been sticking with the Phase I diet. No more subway sandwiches :(
[/quote]

I am trying to stick with the portion plan of the diet plan as well. I am monitoring the carbs and protein on myfitnesspal.com. I have to do a better job of dropping carbs...there is a lot more than I thought in the protein bars.

I am also having at least two to three protein shakes a day to get my protein intake up. I am right at 200 pounds so I need 9 or 7 proteins in a day depending on my weight for that day.

I hear you on the plyo...my legs are all rubbery two days after. Yoga is the one I want to do (not b/c I think it will be easy...it won't) because that is the one I think will really help my game.

The soreness will stop being so bad. Did plyo yesterday and today I have just a touch of soreness above my knees (the muscle kind, the good kind).

As for the diet, It's tough to find enough ways to get protein into your life. I do usually 2 protein shakes a day with either banana and Peanut butter or banana and a couple frozen strawberries. Sometimes I'll also get a protein smoothie with lunch or a muscle milk. I also do either just meat or meat and a veggie for dinner. Chicken, baked or grilled, is my go-to dinner.

I also have an omelet most mornings. I use 1 whole egg and egg beaters, so it's easy and quick. I usually saute some spinach quickly, then add the egg over the top and some cheese just before the eggs are done. Sometimes I'll have a shake for breakfast and a light lunch, then an omelet when I get home. When I go to a restaraunt it's a salad, usually a dry chicken ceaser with light ranch on the side.

With this diet I get very, very few carbs. I want to lose fat more then gain muscle, and this has worked wonders so far. I do, however, feel it on the days I don't get a single carb. I do half the reps on an exercise and everything just gives out. I'm going along, then it's all just done, no "push for that extra rep."