2024 The Memorial Tournament WITB Pics & New Titleist GT woods ×

Shortening backswing

PhillipG78

I have a very long back swing, and find myself occasionally over swinging even though it feels like I’m shortening my swing. Anyone else had this problem and found a good fix for it? Here’s a short clip of me hitting a 1 iron for reference. 

10 HC

Ping G20 10.5

Ping G20 15 Hybrid

Yonex EZone 3-9

Maltby Milled Wedges 50,56,60

KS1 Putter

1 hour ago, PhillipG78 said:

I have a very long back swing, and find myself occasionally over swinging even though it feels like I’m shortening my swing. Anyone else had this problem and found a good fix for it? Here’s a short clip of me hitting a 1 iron for reference. 

There isn't a quick fix. How committed are you to changing it because there are a few elements that need it and they're going to feel weird AF to you. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

There isn't a quick fix. How committed are you to changing it because there are a few elements that need it and they're going to feel weird AF to you. 

It’s something I definitely need to fix so I can be more consistent in finding fairways

10 HC

Ping G20 10.5

Ping G20 15 Hybrid

Yonex EZone 3-9

KS1 Putter

4 minutes ago, PhillipG78 said:

It’s something I definitely need to fix so I can be more consistent in finding fairways

You do. It's a swing that's going to break down more as you get older. 

Okay, so your setup is pretty good, but your right hand grip looks strong to me - not connected enough to your left and that encourages you to overpower your backswing with your right hand. You take it out away from you, then deep and flat inside and then reroute up into a pretty decent position, but because you've taken such a long route to get there it's easy for you to overcook it. 

Your backswing must feel like an event! A properly sequenced backswing is going to feel like it's over in a fraction of the time and will probably feel like you've taken the club back two feet. 

I'd really like to see a face on to check the grip and see how much spine angle you lose at the top. From the top you spin your shoulders and to get directly to the ball too quickly. 

I honestly think that the best thing you could do for yourself is to grab a copy of the NTC from Monte and head over to that thread. It has all the answers for the least outlay, and we'll be able to support you. 

For what it's worth, I had a similar backswing 20 years ago. Rebuilding it was fun.

Yeah I don’t know when my take 

22 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

You do. It's a swing that's going to break down more as you get older. 

Okay, so your setup is pretty good, but your right hand grip looks strong to me - not connected enough to your left and that encourages you to overpower your backswing with your right hand. You take it out away from you, then deep and flat inside and then reroute up into a pretty decent position, but because you've taken such a long route to get there it's easy for you to overcook it. 

Your backswing must feel like an event! A properly sequenced backswing is going to feel like it's over in a fraction of the time and will probably feel like you've taken the club back two feet. 

I'd really like to see a face on to check the grip and see how much spine angle you lose at the top. From the top you spin your shoulders and to get directly to the ball too quickly. 

I honestly think that the best thing you could do for yourself is to grab a copy of the NTC from Monte and head over to that thread. It has all the answers for the least outlay, and we'll be able to support you. 

For what it's worth, I had a similar backswing 20 years ago. Rebuilding it was fun.

Yeah I don’t know when my takeaway got like that, I’m open to suggestions on my grip as I can seem to find the right grip to stick with. I always struggle with taking the club too deep and too long. Not sure if it matters but I’m 6’ and driver SS is in the 115-120 range when I do it right. What’s NTC?

Edited by PhillipG78

10 HC

Ping G20 10.5

Ping G20 15 Hybrid

Yonex EZone 3-9

KS1 Putter

2 minutes ago, PhillipG78 said:

Yeah I don’t know when my take 

Yeah I don’t know when my takeaway got like that, I’m open to suggestions on my grip as I can seem to find the right grip to stick with. What’s NTC?

It's the easiest way to develop a tour level swing. No bull. Straight out exactly the concepts your swing needs. 

https://video.rebelliongolf.com/programs/noturncast

Happy to look at your grip, but need to see it face on close up.

Edited by TheDeanAbides
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

It's the easiest way to develop a tour level swing. No bull. Straight out exactly the concepts your swing needs. 

I’ll try and see if I can have someone take pics. I’m always fiddling with it so take it with a grain of salt. Here’s a pic from when I briefly took lessons 

AE7CEFF6-EB3E-4023-8595-B79E67364E4D.jpeg

10 HC

Ping G20 10.5

Ping G20 15 Hybrid

Yonex EZone 3-9

KS1 Putter

48 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Very true...I went through this process a few years ago and it is maddening at first and took months of focused effort and you have to be willing to accept a dip in performance in the hope that the change ends up better for you and will lead to improvement in the long term, which isn't guaranteed.  I literally wore a blocker on my arm that would prevent my trail arm from bending very much at all and spent months getting used to the feeling of a restricted range of motion.  I will have to take a picture of the training aid and how I modified it to exaggerate things even more.  You then have to go through the hell of recalibrating your timing because at first your body will feel rushed because you will feel  like you have so much less time to execute your swing motion.  Over time though and with focused effort it can be done and it did end up being a benefit to my game.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Righty to Lefty said:

Very true...I went through this process a few years ago and it is maddening at first and took months of focused effort and you have to be willing to accept a dip in performance in the hope that the change ends up better for you and will lead to improvement in the long term, which isn't guaranteed.  I literally wore a blocker on my arm that would prevent my trail arm from bending very much at all and spent months getting used to the feeling of a restricted range of motion.  I will have to take a picture of the training aid and how I modified it to exaggerate things even more.  You then have to go through the hell of recalibrating your timing because at first your body will feel rushed because you will feel  like you have so much less time to execute your swing motion.  Over time though and with focused effort it can be done and it did end up being a benefit to my game.  

I used to be a low single digit HC but honestly never had my swing analyzed so not sure how long I’ve been doing these things 

10 HC

Ping G20 10.5

Ping G20 15 Hybrid

Yonex EZone 3-9

KS1 Putter

1 minute ago, TheDeanAbides said:

That's actually not bad. Can I see just the left please? 

I sadly don’t have a pic from then, and quite honestly I can’t quite remember how I did that grip fully, I’m open to suggestions on how to best grip 

10 HC

Ping G20 10.5

Ping G20 15 Hybrid

Yonex EZone 3-9

KS1 Putter

I’ve been all over the place with grip, 1,2,3,4 knuckles, I really struggle with how to best match up the left and right. I tend to pull shots left a lot, hit far but left. 

10 HC

Ping G20 10.5

Ping G20 15 Hybrid

Yonex EZone 3-9

KS1 Putter

1 minute ago, PhillipG78 said:

I used to be a low single digit HC but honestly never had my swing analyzed so not sure how long I’ve been doing these things 

What was done...can be undone...but not without focused effort! The thought of what I went through still traumatizes me to this day!! I will take a pic of the training aid that helped steepen my progress and you will immediately see why I was losing my sanity while using it.  I didn't hit a ball without it on my arm for 3 straight months! 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, PhillipG78 said:

I’ve been all over the place with grip, 1,2,3,4 knuckles, I really struggle with how to best match up the left and right. I tend to pull shots left a lot, hit far but left. 

Take some photos of where it is now and we'll get it sorted. You look like you have quite big hands. You might need thicker grips. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, PhillipG78 said:

I bet you always hit a cut and your bad shot was a pull that could cut or hook, right? You've been getting away with it through athletic ability and now as you get older those compensations become harder to manage. Same as me. 

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Take some photos of where it is now and we'll get it sorted. You look like you have quite big hands. You might need thicker grips. 

I actually have very small hands especially for a man my size. 

10 HC

Ping G20 10.5

Ping G20 15 Hybrid

Yonex EZone 3-9

KS1 Putter

8 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

I bet you always hit a cut and your bad shot was a pull that could cut or hook, right? You've been getting away with it through athletic ability and now as you get older those compensations become harder to manage. Same as me. 

I’m not sure what a cut is, when I’m swing well I hit a power fade, when I’m not swinging well it goes left or chunk it 

10 HC

Ping G20 10.5

Ping G20 15 Hybrid

Yonex EZone 3-9

KS1 Putter

43 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

Do I need to subscribe to see all this?

10 HC

Ping G20 10.5

Ping G20 15 Hybrid

Yonex EZone 3-9

KS1 Putter

6 minutes ago, TheDeanAbides said:

A smooth swing is everyone's favourite way to plaster over the cracks. What it does is gives you a fraction longer to time the ball from your OTT move. 

I understand what good swing mechanics are, the trick is getting my body to do them, feels vs reels stuff 

Edited by PhillipG78

10 HC

Ping G20 10.5

Ping G20 15 Hybrid

Yonex EZone 3-9

KS1 Putter

3 hours ago, Righty to Lefty said:

What was done...can be undone...but not without focused effort! The thought of what I went through still traumatizes me to this day!! I will take a pic of the training aid that helped steepen my progress and you will immediately see why I was losing my sanity while using it.  I didn't hit a ball without it on my arm for 3 straight months! 

16330069658966940139199978940612.jpg.015d9008a0d877081d85001cf7eaf2b0.jpg

This is a swing extender training aid that I modified that will simply not allow your trail arm to bend enough to over swing. You will have max width and have no choice but to shorten your back swing! I hated life at first but over time it worked amazing and I still use it to this day for maintenance purposes so to not fall back into old habits.  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, PhillipG78 said:

Do I need to subscribe to see all this?

I believe the No Turn Cast video is on YouTube.  It may be an older version, but it's all you need.

I saw it several years ago, and I can honestly say it was the single most helpful piece of golf instruction I ever saw.  Beautiful in its simplicity and effectiveness. 

• Like 1

"You think we play the same stuff you do?"

--Rory McIlroy 

6 minutes ago, Shallowface said:

I believe the No Turn Cast video is on YouTube.  It may be an older version, but it's all you need.

I saw it several years ago, and I can honestly say it was the single most helpful piece of golf instruction I ever saw.  Beautiful in its simplicity and effectiveness. 

The old YouTube video is out of date. Monte has upgraded the concept and made it much easier to implement. 

• Thanks 1