Muirfield Rebuild

aenemated

6 hours ago, BIG STU said:

I have 3 sets of Muirfields. None of mine are 20ths though. One set I did the Apex shaft conversion and built the to the exact specs as my Mac Hogan VIPs as a back up. One set is S-400 and pristine and I have played them one time. The other set 4 thru 9 I had found on the scrap pile. I remembered they did not have a PW but had a M-85 worn slap out with them. I had never hit them. I was messing around in the shop and noticed instead of having a S-300 those had the thin black label TT R-300s in them. They also had pristine GP Victory full cords on them. I had a vintage round scheduled that day and had never hit them so I threw them in the bag on a whim. I will say I also had the FC-4000s in the trunk just in case because I knew I could hit those. Well on a whim I played those Muirfields and WOW in stock condition  they hit great!! My playing partner who is a member of my regular Scramble team said I hit those as good as not better than the Mac Hogans. Yep they are in the front line play bag now. On the PW end I have experimented some for a 50* wedge. Finally went way back and found a somewhat worn Hogan Special PI I had played years ago and it fits the bill and is very versatile for me in that slot-- Yeah on a whim I found I had a great set of clubs laying around that I had less than $5 in--- Yes they are front line now

Stu, your club collection must rival Arnold Palmers. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dr. Block said:

Stu, your club collection must rival Arnold Palmers. 

LOL not quite and there are some members on here that I am a drop in the bucket to. Teevons just bought like 3000 Hickory Clubs the other day. I think since the famous Niles Hoard which Fellaheem can tell you more about and Moaning M I do not have a drop in the bucket compared to those 2 guys. Have not heard from Moaning M in years.

• Like 2

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

2 hours ago, BIG STU said:

LOL not quite and there are some members on here that I am a drop in the bucket to. Teevons just bought like 3000 Hickory Clubs the other day. I think since the famous Niles Hoard which Fellaheem can tell you more about and Moaning M I do not have a drop in the bucket compared to those 2 guys. Have not heard from Moaning M in years.

Still, yours is a golf life well lived. It sounds like the strand is a nice place to find interesting golfers and golf games. I am the only person at my club who ventures out with wooden headed instruments, and I am considered thoroughly crazy for it.  

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, Dr. Block said:

Still, yours is a golf life well lived. It sounds like the strand is a nice place to find interesting golfers and golf games. I am the only person at my club who ventures out with wooden headed instruments, and I am considered thoroughly crazy for it.  

No one around here plays persimmon and blades and think I am touched in the head for doing so. I play with some of the older guys in their 80s them playing their modern stuff and me with the lumber. As far as real action there is none anymore and I do not gamble like I used to. We may from time to time with some of our regular shootout guys maybe play a $1 Nassau or a $1 Round Robin for kicks and giggles. But I like it like that now I am retired and even though I am not in the best of health I play when I want to and practice when I want to or not. But I am having fun really the most fun I ever had playing golf

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Dr. Block said:

57 minutes ago, BIG STU said:

No one around here plays persimmon and blades and think I am touched in the head for doing so. I play with some of the older guys in their 80s them playing their modern stuff and me with the lumber. As far as real action there is none anymore and I do not gamble like I used to. We may from time to time with some of our regular shootout guys maybe play a $1 Nassau or a $1 Round Robin for kicks and giggles. But I like it like that now I am retired and even though I am not in the best of health I play when I want to and practice when I want to or not. But I am having fun really the most fun I ever had playing golf

You are not crazy and I am sorry that you do not have others to play with, it is their loss. We have a growing group of vintage players that started with two of us and has steadily got bigger. The interest in playing hickory is growing at our club because we are quite visible and have attracted a lot of curiosity since we are obviously having lots of fun. It is infectious.

Several of us are playing more classic golf as well which I will credit to my interactions with Stu on this forum. We get a lot of satisfaction going counter to the current golf culture. In a way we are giving the fickle finger to the over hyped, loft jacking, brick on a stick, launch monitor driven game of today. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Hickory4ever said:

You are not crazy and I am sorry that you do not have others to play with, it is their loss. We have a growing group of vintage players that started with two of us and has steadily got bigger. The interest in playing hickory is growing at our club because we are quite visible and have attracted a lot of curiosity since we are obviously having lots of fun. It is infectious.

Several of us are playing more classic golf as well which I will credit to my interactions with Stu on this forum. We get a lot of satisfaction going counter to the current golf culture. In a way we are giving the fickle finger to the over hyped, loft jacking, brick on a stick, launch monitor driven game of today. 

Love that last paragraph that is exactly my attitude on it. If I did not enjoy and play in the Saturday Shootout every week I doubt the lumber would leave the bag at this stage of life

• Like 3

• 1 year later...
On 12/14/2021 at 12:27 AM, aenemated said:

Because I'm an insatiable club ho and also a tinkerer and also a bit of a traditionalist despite my general countenance; I picked up a hodge podge set of old school Muirfields from eBay. Initial set was just 5-PW then snagged individual 2, 3 and 4 irons. 

I don't know why ... but my plan has been to "modernize" them and perhaps game them. I do love my T-Dubs but there's a part of me that would love to game the irons I started this madness of golf with 35 years ago. 

This process has started.

IMG_0707.jpg.bad6cd368c078f4e4ca07272d2a8b3ef.jpg

This photo is before I received the 2 and 3 but they did indeed arrive. And yep, it took some serious heat to get those old shafts off. They've since been sent off to Doug Oughton - who I found through you lovely folks - to be stripped down to the steel, re-chromed in satin and new paint fills and new grooves. 

Once they arrive back; I'll be setting them up with my preferred S400s and keeping it classic steez with Winn's kinda classic looking brown wrap DriTac grips; which seems what should be there. The brown wrap part at least. 

This is my first project of this sort. It may be a bust, it may be the raddest thing ever. I did take the 7 over to the club one day before I tore them apart and hitting it was a delight. It's why I went down this whole path anyway. 

Updates to come as the heads arrive back. 

Anyone else gaming these beauties? 

I dug up my set yesterday with plans to completely refurbish them. Plan on putting leather grips, from an old set of MacGregor tourney. I tried getting the heads off yesterday with a heat gun and it wouldnt budge. Think im gonna have to invest in a torch.