2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

PGA Tour 2k23 questions

Anser3

This is specific to Xbox one. I don't know where else to post this (this may be the wrong forum). 

Are Ping clubs available on PGA Tour 2k23? 

If the clubs are locked, can they be unlocked by purchasing them on xbox live  (DLC content)?

Just trying to figure out if I will buy this game or not (I haven't played  a golf game since PGA Tour 14 on PS3).  I am far from  a gamer.  And yes, the presence of the PIng brand  and a robust create-a-player feature ( that allows me to make my created player look as much like me as possible) are important to me.  If the game lacks either of these features, I will pass.

21 hours ago, ksher84 said:

I can't get the hang of the swing tempo in this game 😩

Here are some good Youtube help videos https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Eh-tFGYEI&list=PL2ypHzc7pV82IfYM3ZvElF3yT5U5mCFhV&index=16. If you swing too fast on the downswing, the ball will probably go left. If you go too slow, it will go right. I recommend the Swing Calibration tool in Training. I found that your downswing has to be a lot slower than you might want to get perfect timing. 

As far as Ping goes, you will be able to play with Ping clubs if you use a Ping player like Bubba or Tony or Brooke in Casual Mode, but I don't think you can use Ping clubs on My Player for some reason. I don't see any Ping clubs as options. 

This game is decent, but as others have said, you need to be able to play against other pros and see their shots in Career Mode. The majors have to be in the game instead of moslty blah courses in Career Mode. Unfortunately we have two games with 2K23 and next spring's EA Sports game. I'm assuming Tiger won't be in that one. I think each game will have its strengths, but won't bring everything together like Tiger's EA Sports PGA Tour '14 did. The current games aren't even as good as that one. 

• Like 1

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

A TaylorMade driver goes just as far as a Wilson. One driver isn't better than the other. Guess they didn’t like pissing OEMs off who are probably paying to be in it.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Can you "buy" Ping clubs  online  (like purchasing DLC)?  I almost never play and don't want/have time to invest hours and hours into this to earn clubs.  However,  I always like the idea of playing the clubs I use in real life on these games  (or at least close to it).  I still think Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 is the best game ever.

And no, not related to the Solheim's in any way  (not even sure why that was a question)/

11 hours ago, Anser3 said:

Can you "buy" Ping clubs  online  (like purchasing DLC)?  I almost never play and don't want/have time to invest hours and hours into this to earn clubs.  However,  I always like the idea of playing the clubs I use in real life on these games  (or at least close to it).  I still think Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2004 is the best game ever.

And no, not related to the Solheim's in any way  (not even sure why that was a question)/

It doesn’t look like you can buy them like other clubs. There’s not many to buy at this point. I’m maybe 15 rounds in and I have a G25 driver and irons and a PLD putter. Once you get past Korn Ferry Q School, different sponsors offer you contracts. Select Ping, play well, and you’ll win the clubs.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

The best ball in the game is the UV1 and once you start using them it changes the game, much easier.  Also rhythm is by far the best archetype. 

• Like 1

Driver -  PXG Gen5 0311 XF 12* - PX Cypher 50 R

5 Wood -  Taylormade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue R

Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW - True Temper S

Wedges - Titleist SM8 52* 56* 

Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Special Select - 33" 

56 minutes ago, JWells said:

The best ball in the game is the UV1 and once you start using them it changes the game, much easier.  Also rhythm is by far the best archetype. 

How does that ball work? Use it instead if a Pro V1?

Tempo is definitely hard. In other games, you can swing as fast as you want and stay on plane and hit the ball straight. Here, you have to swing slow or the ball goes left. My backswing is faster than my forward swing.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

20 minutes ago, Holy Moses said:

How does that ball work? Use it instead if a Pro V1?

Tempo is definitely hard. In other games, you can swing as fast as you want and stay on plane and hit the ball straight. Here, you have to swing slow or the ball goes left. My backswing is faster than my forward swing.

So much like the clubs the ball "prov1, tp5 etc" are just aesthetic.  when you play and level up you will see you earn ball sleeves that have stats and you equip them.  You also can just buy the ball sleeves with in game currency, they are not expensive and you earn plenty of money just playing the game to be able to buy them.  

• Like 1

Driver -  PXG Gen5 0311 XF 12* - PX Cypher 50 R

5 Wood -  Taylormade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue R

Irons - Taylormade P790 4-PW - True Temper S

Wedges - Titleist SM8 52* 56* 

Putter - Scotty Cameron Newport 2 Special Select - 33" 

On 10/20/2022 at 10:27 AM, Holy Moses said:

It doesn’t look like you can buy them like other clubs. There’s not many to buy at this point. I’m maybe 15 rounds in and I have a G25 driver and irons and a PLD putter. Once you get past Korn Ferry Q School, different sponsors offer you contracts. Select Ping, play well, and you’ll win the clubs.

Thank you.  So no option to just unlock them through DLC on xbox live?  If it's not difficult to unlock them, I'll likely give the game a go.   Is the create-a-player feature still stout on this game?  I haven't played since the 2014 version of PGA Tour (Master's edition).  You used to be able to make even minor tweaks to your player's eyes, nose size, mouth size, lips, eyebrow height, eye set, etc.  Is that still the same?

12 hours ago, Anser3 said:

Thank you.  So no option to just unlock them through DLC on xbox live?  If it's not difficult to unlock them, I'll likely give the game a go.   Is the create-a-player feature still stout on this game?  I haven't played since the 2014 version of PGA Tour (Master's edition).  You used to be able to make even minor tweaks to your player's eyes, nose size, mouth size, lips, eyebrow height, eye set, etc.  Is that still the same?

You can buy most clubs, but Ping is the only one you can’t from what I can tell. It will take 10-15 rounds or so to unlock them with a sponsorship. Yes, you can create a player. I have a PS5, but I’m assuming this is the same for other systems.

Edited by Holy Moses
  • Like 1

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

1 hour ago, GingerBubba said:

Assuming I don't care about playing as Tiger, is the game worth buying for someone who has the last iteration (PGA 2K21 I think)? If so, why?

The biggest differences are current golf clubs and clothing, new pro players, TopGolf, and the ability to custom fit each club and ball through attributes that you can win. Graphics are slightly better, but not much if you don’t have a HDR/4K TV. It’s slightly harder to play meaning there’s a new way to hit using analog - forward swing tempo is very key. Still no majors and the courses are lacking (no official Pebble, Augusta, St Andrews). You can’t actually play against the pros 1:1 and see their shots like you could in older EA versions. The things I mentioned weren’t in 2K21 either, but they would have made 2K23 better. Way too much content that you have to buy. Get points by playing well? Great, that just allows you to purchase content instead of it being locked. A lot of the same content from 2K21 for PBP. Not only are Elvy and Beem back with Henni Koyack, but a lot of the commentary is literally pulled from 2K21.  I bought the game because I like new things, but it’s not a huge upgrade. Most of the critical reviews say these things.

Edited by Holy Moses
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Here are my impressions of the game after a week: 

• The swing timing is definitely more challenging but it gets much better after calibration and winning upgrades on timing, distance, etc. The first few rounds are brutal but it loosens up for you. 
  • That said I don't totally understand all the badges I've earned. It seems like sometimes I'm earning badges that are lesser versions of ones I've already earned. When this happens the newer badge is greyed out, I think. Not at all sure how to see the specs on upgraded shafts and grips in order to compare them. I haven't been too worried about it as I try to earn enough points to buy better clubs. So far I have the Mizuno putter, Mavrik woods and hybrid, and a name brand driver (TM I think, I'm at work at the moment). Irons or wedges next I guess.  
  • Yesterday I noticed that a ton of user-created courses were populated. I played one that was named something similar to "A Tradition Like No Other" that was a perfect recreation of AN. Bethpage Black and Payne's Valley were also on the screen and there seem to be a ton more. 
  • 2K is supposed to release official versions of both Torrey Pines courses, Pebble Beach and maybe one more course. I think these are coming this weekend if not sooner. 

Paradym TD 10.5/Tensei Blue 65R

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Callaway Rogue Max D 3 wood

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon ZX5 / ZX7 on MMT 125S

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11S

Collings OM1-ESS

3 hours ago, GingerBubba said:

Thanks for the review.

More challenging than what? 2K21?

About the same overall. 

• Like 1

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

4 hours ago, me05501 said:

Here are my impressions of the game after a week: 

• The swing timing is definitely more challenging but it gets much better after calibration and winning upgrades on timing, distance, etc. The first few rounds are brutal but it loosens up for you. 
  • That said I don't totally understand all the badges I've earned. It seems like sometimes I'm earning badges that are lesser versions of ones I've already earned. When this happens the newer badge is greyed out, I think. Not at all sure how to see the specs on upgraded shafts and grips in order to compare them. I haven't been too worried about it as I try to earn enough points to buy better clubs. So far I have the Mizuno putter, Mavrik woods and hybrid, and a name brand driver (TM I think, I'm at work at the moment). Irons or wedges next I guess.  
  • Yesterday I noticed that a ton of user-created courses were populated. I played one that was named something similar to "A Tradition Like No Other" that was a perfect recreation of AN. Bethpage Black and Payne's Valley were also on the screen and there seem to be a ton more. 
  • 2K is supposed to release official versions of both Torrey Pines courses, Pebble Beach and maybe one more course. I think these are coming this weekend if not sooner. 

The Pebble and St Andrews courses are very close to the real thing. Since I’ve never played Cypress, anyone know how close to the real thing it is?

An update came out yesterday. I know there were bugs in online play where I got a par and I was given a bogey or double bogey, but I wish they would have figured out how to keep your golf bag from changing each round apart from having to select each club manually.  

Every time Luke Elvy says the ball is going in the fairway, it goes in the rough. Beem and Elvy are kind of annoying. I muted them.

Gamer Ability is a good Youtube channel for video help https://youtube.com/c/GamerAbility. Some golf ball upgrades are consumable which is why they go away. I don’t get the point of an

upgraded grip.

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

On 10/20/2022 at 10:27 AM, Holy Moses said:

What Ping irons are available?  Anything besides G425?

Anyone know when the Torrey courses are going to be available? Supposedly they were going to be released just after the game. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

49 minutes ago, me05501 said:

Anyone know when the Torrey courses are going to be available? Supposedly they were going to be released just after the game. 

Don’t know, but there are more important updates that should be released first

Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

I have a recurring issue where my controller stops wanting to execute a swing. It just does really short practice swings. If you run into this I’ve found that turning off the controller and turning it back on clears the issue without having to restart the game or system. 

TM BRNR Mini 13.5

Paradym 4 hybrid

Srixon Z785 AW

Cleveland RTX6 54/58

Collings OM1-ESS

4 hours ago, me05501 said:

I have a recurring issue where my controller stops wanting to execute a swing. It just does really short practice swings. If you run into this I’ve found that turning off the controller and turning it back on clears the issue without having to restart the game or system. 

Ooh, good tip. I haven't actually got 2k23, but this was an issue on 2k21 too. You'd have thought they'd have sorted it by now!  Seems they haven't  done much different from 2k21 tbh, looking at reviews.

@Holy Moses appreciate you actually answering the OP questions and taking the time to write about the game. Amazing how noobish the first few comments were in this thread and turned me away nearly instantly before coming back to read a bit more. 

Toying with maybe getting this game. Not sure if I will or wait till the EA games comes out... may depend on how soon winter comes!

• Like 1