2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

gah :(

GOLF FTW

what to do when your swing "leaves" you?
ah, today i was on the range, working on my 9 to 3 drill with my wedges. Everything was working out perfectly, it was the best i had ever struck the ball. I proceed to go through my set, and everything is working out really nice. I even hit a baby draw with the driver (usual 4ish yard fade). Feeling really good, i head off to the first tee.. I hit a fade right down the right side of the fairway, leaving me about 50 yards to the pin. I hit my "9 to 3" wedge 10 feet past. lip out on the birdie put, tap in par.

i get to the next hole, chunk my seven iron into the water. my swing never came back, i couldnt control anything after that. Everything i hit was a fade afterwards. Started right on line, and then started right about 5 yards. It kept getting worse and worse..

so.. what do you do when you go through something like this in the middle of the round?

i'm just curious, cuz i have golf tryouts on tuesday.. and i cant have this happen again.

any thoughts?

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The absolute worst practice session I had in two months.. Playing tomorrow Going to thing abot two days ago at the range hit it well.

Basically read the three finger post... Find a shot that will get u around the course.

Driver Taylor SIM 2
3wd ping 425

5wd ping 425
Irons I500 Ping 4 - pw
ping answer 2 sig
58 ping eye-2
54 Jaws 4

2I driving iron Srixon New shaft carbon fiber steel
Titlist 1x

When it happes to me I just drop the game for a week or so (depending on the time of year), and come back refreshed with a very short backswing. Little by little my backswing gets bigger as the confidence builds. There is no sense in forcing a fix to your swing when nothing is working. We are not pros and I personally can not spend 6 hours a day fixing the problem. Forcing the issue usually only makes things worse for me. Come back fresh and get back to basics.

The funny thing is that I play my best when keeping to simple basics and a very short iron backswing.

I played a round with a scratch player a few weeks ago and basically asked him the same question i.e., what do you do if your swing goes to pot during a round? His reply was that he never tried to fix it but would rather play different shots. So instead of using a stock swing he might try and keep the ball flight low or just hook it around the course.

At the end of the day, i suppose you just have to find what works for you - i know that for me i'd just concentrate on one thing, tempo, istead of a bunch of mechanical swing thoughts.

i hate those days where you have no command of anything.....no aspect of your game is reliable....i'm a decent enough putter that i usually can find something on the greens to hang my hat on....but there are certainly those days when i got absolutely nada from tee through the cup. what do i do? i practice grinding....i practice trying to stay focused when i feel like mailing it in. why? because i've lost bets to guys who clearly weren't playing their best when i happened to be playing sorta solid. whatever it is that allows you to win when you don't have your "a" game - it's sorta ineffable - but we'll call it "that". practice "that" on those days.

ah, today i was on the range, working on my 9 to 3 drill with my wedges. Everything was working out perfectly, it was the best i had ever struck the ball. I proceed to go through my set, and everything is working out really nice. I even hit a baby draw with the driver (usual 4ish yard fade). Feeling really good, i head off to the first tee.. I hit a fade right down the right side of the fairway, leaving me about 50 yards to the pin. I hit my "9 to 3" wedge 10 feet past. lip out on the birdie put, tap in par.

i get to the next hole, chunk my seven iron into the water. my swing never came back, i couldnt control anything after that. Everything i hit was a fade afterwards. Started right on line, and then started right about 5 yards. It kept getting worse and worse..

so.. what do you do when you go through something like this in the middle of the round?

i'm just curious, cuz i have golf tryouts on tuesday.. and i cant have this happen again.

any thoughts?

Find a SHOT that you CAN hit no matter what..........might be a big slice or hook.......does'nt matter IF you can do it everytime.....ya' gotta' develop a swing key/set up/image that ensures that you can eliminate one side of the course or another...........doesn't have to be pretty just get one side eliminated........

..I can tell you what I did.....and I'd virtually guarantee you that I hit it as poorly as a golf ball can be hit for about 4 years.......and could somehow still score........

Driver.......tee'd DOWN, even kicked up a lil' tuft and hit it off of that........you will cut it or the ball won't get in the air........GET THE BALL IN PLAY.......

Irons.......BACK in the stance, hood it down to square, and knock em' down........PUNCH shots.......try and hit em' LOW..........

Aaaaaaaaaaaaand, do NOT try shots that you aren't 100% positive you can play........NO "showboating".....NO ego.......get it in the hole........

in summary, GET THE BALL IN PLAY.......GET IT ON OR AROUND THE GREEN......CHIP/PUTT.......POST A SCORE........

BTW, I want to make sure everyone who is trying the 9 to 3 see's this.........

"BTW, it does not have to STOP at 3........just can't go back past 9.......I forgot to say that and that IS very important.......in other words, IF you create enough "core speed" so that your right arm ends up at 2:30, 2, 1, even 12 it doesn't matter.......but do not go past 9 in the backswing........ Also, watch the Champion's Tour re-telecast on TGC........Price is one of the all time greatest through the impact zone.......might be the best pure ballstriker since Mr. Hogan too...... "

I had one of these rounds yesterday. Even par through 5 holes, hitting the ball really well. All 5 GIR and easy putts. Then something happened, pushed a driver shot OB, then pushed a second one OB. Now I'm hitting my 5th shot from the tee on a 400+ yard par 4 :coolpics: Ended the hole with a sad little snowman.

Fortunately the beverage cart stopped at the tee, and 1 Bloodymary and 2 beers later I was back enjoying being out on the course.

As stated above, I just tried to maintain a good tempo and hit more 3 woods off the tee and more club from the fairway. Ended the day with an acceptable score and a lot of laughs. I'll try it again next time.

TM Stealth Driver 10.5 - Ventus Blue Velocore S

TM SIM2 Max 3W 15 - Black Tour AD Di7 S

Ping G425 Hybrid 19 - Ping Tour 85 S

Srixon ZX5 (4-7) ZX7 (8-W) Modus 120 S

Cleveland Zipcore RTX6 -50, 54, 58, DG Tour Spinner

Scotty Cameron Newport Select Custom 2015 model

When my swing leaves, I know that I am moving around through the swing. So, I take a deep breath and visualize the click of hitting the ball solid. Then, I step up to the ball and make a smooth swing on it, trying to stay really still. I am not worried where the ball goes. I can get up and down for par. I am more interested in getting back to solid contact. Once, I get the tempo back, then I start firing for flags again.

when my swing leaves me, i slow everything down and cut down my routine. Instead of the time I take picking out a target, etc., i just tell myself where I want to hit it, address it, and hit. In my swing, I will have a really drawn out back swing to see if I can get any of the feel back. If that fails, I tend to just hit 3-quarter shots for the rest of the day.

Gotta realize a lot of that is mental, so you need to get something back to bring back the confidence

Cobra Fly Z+ 8.5* w/ Diamana D+ 70x
Tour Edge CB Pro 14.5* w/ Speeder 757x
Mizuno MP-H4 2i w/ C-Taper 130
Cobra Fly Z+ 3i-5i w/ C-Taper 130
Cobra Fly Z Pro 6-PW w/ C-Taper 130
Callaway MD2 50*/S and 56*/T
Bettinardi Sabbatini Flow Neck Proto
[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/145720-jakebarnes-witb-updated-828/page__hl__%20jakebarnes"]WITB Link[/url]

I just leave and regroup. No sense in compensating for something you don't know what's going on. Two wrongs don't make a right.

Go back the next day and hit 'em.

JBeam ZY-11 10* Basileus Alpha S / Crazy 435ii 10.5* Basileus AAA X
Tour Issue TM Superfast 2.0 TP 13.5* & 18* UST VTS SIlver 7S
Apex Pro Recoil 95 R // Steelhead XR Pro Recoil ES 760
Vega VM06 50 - 54 - 58 Shimada W
Slighter Auburn

for me, if i'm fighting a hook i try to hit nothing but high fades for a while.....if im overfading it i set up and try to hit a few big rope hooks. i can usually get it around pretty good like this till i can get to the range and work it out. i usually hit a baby draw but depending on how much coffee i have it can turn into a pretty big hook or pull hook.

When my swing leaves, I know that I am moving around through the swing. So, I take a deep breath and visualize the click of hitting the ball solid. Then, I step up to the ball and make a smooth swing on it, trying to stay really still. I am not worried where the ball goes. I can get up and down for par. I am more interested in getting back to solid contact. Once, I get the tempo back, then I start firing for flags again.

This is exactly the same thing I do.

I know when I start swinging like crud it's usually my body getting all "noodley" on me, moving around like I'm being forced to play golf hokey pokey.

I stop, take a deep breath, and say to myself "just hit it" and I almost immediately start swinging much better.

Sometimes the most mental part of the game is taking the mental part out of it.

Do what I did......I went to see a video instructor and he showed me how to correct my slices according to how I swing. Now it's no mystery and I can fix hooks, slices, tops, chunks, ect. While I'm playing out on the course.

any thoughts?