2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Steep & EE? Progress update

Sp4zRX

Updated progress in recent post. 

To my untrained eye, I see a steep transition followed by an EE with my right heal coming off the ground pretty early compared to most good players. It seems as though I have lost all my wrist angles and shaft lean at impact. 

My issues are very inconsistent contact. I can shoot 78 one week and 100 the next. My misses are hooks & blocks and fats & thins (more thins than fats). 

The camera angle is not the greatest and maybe makes the EE look worse than it is? But I still think it’s there.  

Do you agree with my diagnosis? Is there something earlier happening in my swing that could be causing my issues? Am I completely wrong? 

I don’t have a FO video but I can get one if needed. 

A BIG THANK YOU to any help/advice!!!

Edited by Sp4zRX
Updating progress

No expert here, but you are diagnosing symptoms not causes. They all come from what happens in the takeaway and backswing 

What I see is rolling of the arms in the backswing and the clubhead getting behind the hands.

Causing poor wrist set. Also left hip coming out instead of right hip going back. 

In transition you slide to lead slide and your right hip fires out that’s why the steepness. The EE is your compensation for that so that you can make contact 

Edited by GoGoErky

9 hours ago, Sp4RX said:

Do you agree with my diagnosis? Is there something earlier happening in my swing that could be causing my issues? Am I completely wrong? 

I don’t have a FO video but I can get one if needed.

Yes, yes, no.

Two views better than one.

I swung out from underneath myself, from the lower part of my body.   Byron Nelson

You bring the center of the pelvis out from over rotating your hips and you have no right wrist bend at the top.  Not going anywhere but steep and EE with that.

31C683B7-6D3B-40D8-BB20-06DEDBBA363C.png

• Like 1

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Your upper body is outrunning your lower body, fixing your sequence would be a big step in the right direction. Dr. Kwon has some good information about using the feet and legs to drive the swing. 

Watch the sequence, the clubhead is the last link in the chain back and through. After impact the clubhead leads the chain pulling the right side around the posted left side. 

1306784369_SneadFO.gif.8de46c5b07af384cf5846a99bcf482a4.gif.d28aa8df2049c3f93e14d91b7bb3345b.gif

Jim Dent was the longest hitter on tour for 10+ years straight. Watch his feet and legs.

Edited by Zitlow

41 minutes ago, Zitlow said:

Rahm too, they start the lower body slightly before the upper body reaches the top which takes the slack out of the joints up the left side. 

The large majority of all pros do. Monte and amg have tons of content on this. Pressure to trail side early and for many is over by p2 and back to 50/50 aka recentering around p3 and starting to go to lead side to roughly 70/30 between p3 and p4

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, GoGoErky said:

The large majority of all pros do. Monte and amg have tons of content on this. Pressure to trail side early and for many is over by p2 and back to 50/50 aka recentering around p3 and starting to go to lead side to roughly 70/30 between p3 and p4

The important issue is it’s shift and not turn.  Ams will interpret this as turn before the backswing is done and the sequence becomes awful.

• Like 3

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Wow a lot of good advice here! I want all contributors to know how appreciative I am for your input. There are definitely some things here I did not notice or was unaware of. I am going to play around with some of the ideas here and see if I can finally start tackling these issues. Thank you all so much!

10 hours ago, MonteScheinblum said:

I have your No Turn Cast video series. This is probably something I should revisit, specifically the No Turn, to help with the over rotation?

14 hours ago, GoGoErky said:

What I see is rolling of the arms in the backswing and the clubhead getting behind the hands.

Causing poor wrist set. Also left hip coming out instead of right hip going back. 

Thank you! I have not noticed the rolling before. I see it clearly now. I have been working on the wrist set. It was much worse! I feel like I’m lifting the club straight up with an over henge but the video clearly shows the ‘feel ain’t real’. 

8 hours ago, Zitlow said:

Your upper body is outrunning your lower body, fixing your sequence would be a big step in the right direction. Dr. Kwon has some good information about using the feet and legs to drive the swing. 

Watch the sequence, the clubhead is the last link in the chain back and through. After impact the clubhead leads the chain pulling the right side around the posted left side. 

/cdn-cgi/mirage/0b70925d1f552d277b6b49a81fd9b6845f091e3058459e59e3836c295e916035/1280/cdn-cgi/mirage/0b70925d1f552d277b6b49a81fd9b6845f091e3058459e59e3836c295e916035/1280/https://wrxcdn.golfwrx.com/uploads/monthly_2023_02/1306784369_SneadFO.gif.8de46c5b07af384cf5846a99bcf482a4.gif.d28aa8df2049c3f93e14d91b7bb3345b.gif

Jim Dent was the longest hitter on tour for 10+ years straight. Watch his feet and legs.

I have actually already been drilling Kwons step drills. With the Stage 1 & 2 the EE goes away but Stage 3 and real swing it’s there. I can feel that I am shifting different with 1 & 2 I am just having a hard time getting there with 3 and real swing. 

That Jim Dent move is butter! Thank you for the visual. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Sp4RX said:

I have your No Turn Cast video series. This is probably something I should revisit, specifically the No Turn, to help with the over rotation?

Yes

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Consider starting here, not a big Leadbetter fan but his illustration from years ago cures so many ills it's crazy good, and you can't do it too often both as a drill or just stretching. 

The picture on the left has the tip of the trail shoulder lower to the ground compared to the lead shoulder, as it should be at address,  but the illustration on the right shows both shoulder tips becoming equidistant to the ground as shown due to moving at right angles about the spine (many people and some instructors miss this key pass through dynamic).   If you hit that equidistant spot going back the swing is basically over and have nothing too much to worry about as long as the club is set by the shoulder turn. 

Untitleddl2.png.131cada603d83e89d5ce0931db6fb930.png

• Thanks 1

I swung out from underneath myself, from the lower part of my body.   Byron Nelson

Thinking about all the component parts slows down the reflexes and tension blocks the flow of energy out to the club head and into the ball.

The golf swing is a lot simpler when you eliminate unnecessary moving parts and allow momentum to do most of the work. Since 60-70% of learning is visual the best way to learn a motion is by watching. 

The arms aren't loose noodles, they have enough structure to support the weight of the club. The shoulders, arms and hands are conduits for energy to flow through. 

Edited by Zitlow
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

I know I’m not there yet. I have been working on the EE a lot. I did attend a clinic with Monte and he told me my right hip firing towards the ball is killing me and my arched back isn’t helping. He did warn me it was not going to be easy to fix. He was right. It almost feels hopeless at times but I am not giving up.

I notice my hands are late around P6 causing me to almost drag my hands and club through impact, rather than a proper release at the ball. I am starting to think the EE and late hands are intertwined. In other words, I need EE with late hands, and I need late hands with EE. So I’m thinking I maybe I need to address both issues at the same time? I could be wrong on all of this which is why I am seeking advice. 

Below is DTL 8i at maybe 70%

Below is FO 8i at maybe 90%

Edited by Sp4zRX
Deleted duplicate videos

• Sp4zRX changed the title to Steep & EE? Progress update