2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

I can't get my sequencing right

I have been doing a lot of practice on my backswing/pivot. I feel like I'm in a good place right up until it's time to initiate the downswing. My feel is to start the downswing when I feel pressure shift to the ball of my lead foot. I used to try and shift pressure from my trail heel directly to the lead heel, but was told that isn't a good move. I have watched so many videos trying to find something that works and I have nothing. I did online coaching this season for a while and I still can't figure it out. I feel like part of my problem is that I still can't figure out how to rotate properly without coming out of posture. Again, I feel like I have tried everything. I understand the concept.. Move my lead hip back to meet my trail hip, but when it's time for my trail hip to move, I freeze because I'm so afraid to early extend. Every shot I hit on the range today was on the toe, good ball flight, but toe, toe, toe. I'm so frustrated, I feel like I am so close to something and yet so far away. Anything would be appreciated, drills, thoughts, feels.

Hard to give really meaningful advice without a video but I’m a huge fan of hitting balls off of a half foam roller. Helps you stay in posture and your weight distribution has to be pretty much perfect or you’ll lose balance and fall off. Dan C recommended it to me during a lesson a couple years back and I’ve used it pretty much every day. 

19 hours ago, ZGriswold83 said:

Anything would be appreciated, drills, thoughts, feels.

Not that complicated and there are several drills that may start trapping a remedy.  Here's just one, and without seeing what you're up to.    Forget all else and place a ball at least 6 inches, or more, forward than normal and make a swing, no thoughts just do it, go get it.   You won't early extend and find the ball at the same time, so do the task instead and let your brain sort it out, and sense what's going on instead of being tied up with all the other stuff in your head. 

Edited by BALLYBUNION
  • Like 1

I swung out from underneath myself, from the lower part of my body.   Byron Nelson

On 7/8/2023 at 4:37 PM, ZGriswold83 said:

My feel is to start the downswing when I feel pressure shift to the ball of my lead foot.

I’m not sure that’s the right feel, for two reasons:
1. If you make a proper backswing in which you *recenter* early, then you will already have shifted pressure to your left toes before the top of the backswing. In that case, you don’t need to really think about “starting the downswing” in a conscious way, because once the weight is in your left toes the next step in the sequence is to “start the downswing.”

2. If you DO NOT make a proper backswing where you *recenter* early, then this thought is going to do you NO GOOD at all – because you are going to be doing all sorts of wrong moves to get pressure onto your left toes at the wrong time (that is, if you haven’t gotten it there as part of a good backswing).

I understand the concept.. Move my lead hip back to meet my trail hip, but when it's time for my trail hip to move, I freeze because I'm so afraid to early extend.

I’m not quite sure that’s actually the concept. It’s certainly not my feel, or the one I hear Monte teach in Power Shift.

The concept you state above seems to suggest you’ve moved the lead hip “off the wall” (and forward to the ball) and that’s why you need to move it back to meet the trail hip. But if you bump your trail hip *away* from the ball (moving center of pelvis further from ball) as you start back, and if you then keep your trail hip “on the wall” as you recenter and shift left at end of backswing, then at the start of the downswing, your lead hip won’t be all that far from the trail hip. The feel that Monte teaches in the wall drill is to move the lead hip back up against and “through” the wall. And I certainly feel like I want to get my left butt cheek not to “meet” my right butt cheek, but to go *way* past it, so that from a down the line camera view I am showing the camera my left cheek – so again, not “meeting” the trail hip at all. 

Edited by fronesis
  • Like 1

On 7/9/2023 at 5:03 PM, fronesis said:

I’m not sure that’s the right feel, for two reasons:
1. If you make a proper backswing in which you *recenter* early, then you will already have shifted pressure to your left toes before the top of the backswing. In that case, you don’t need to really think about “starting the downswing” in a conscious way, because once the weight is in your left toes the next step in the sequence is to “start the downswing.”

2. If you DO NOT make a proper backswing where you *recenter* early, then this thought is going to do you NO GOOD at all – because you are going to be doing all sorts of wrong moves to get pressure onto your left toes at the wrong time (that is, if you haven’t gotten it there as part of a good backswing).

I’m not quite sure that’s actually the concept. It’s certainly not my feel, or the one I hear Monte teach in Power Shift.

The concept you state above seems to suggest you’ve moved the lead hip “off the wall” (and forward to the ball) and that’s why you need to move it back to meet the trail hip. But if you bump your trail hip *away* from the ball (moving center of pelvis further from ball) as you start back, and if you then keep your trail hip “on the wall” as you recenter and shift left at end of backswing, then at the start of the downswing, your lead hip won’t be all that far from the trail hip. The feel that Monte teaches in the wall drill is to move the lead hip back up against and “through” the wall. And I certainly feel like I want to get my left butt cheek not to “meet” my right butt cheek, but to go *way* past it, so that from a down the line camera view I am showing the camera my left cheek – so again, not “meeting” the trail hip at all. 

This x100

Pressure should be back into the lead side well before the end of the backswing. I like feeling it get back by P2 then I can just "coast" into impact.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, fjk said:

I think you are over focused on the feet and hips bc of all the attention current instruction has placed on that. 

you probably need to focus on what your chest is doing and arms so that your body (lower body) will position itself to support your intents. 

Agree. 

When I get out of sequence I go back to hitting balls with a really narrow stance. My lower body pretty much has to do the right stuff or I'll fall over. Works every time. 

• 4 weeks later...