2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

More distance from wedges

33 minutes ago, ChipNRun said:

Could you clarify the yardage hole you mention?

It appears the change in ball position for GW and SW has evened out the gaps, and GW 122 is pretty close to 125.

There is a gap around 125 unless I 3/4 swing the PW.  the ball position change was mainly related to GW,54,58

However, while I can get the 54 to go a little further with the ball position change, still have a hole around 105 which I just find very difficult to do.  You can see on the chart for the YELLOW cluster of balls is my 54.  When I moved the ball position to encourage better left-shift..I get a fair number close to 110, which would be a good full swing distance for that club.  My poor shots are at 100.  105 very difficult for me to do.  But Its probably a matter of making sure to weight shift...and back off to 3/4 swing.

For the 125 gap, I have more or less decided that I will probably look into getting the PW bent to 47 and the GW bent to 50.  I'll do the GW first and remeasure.  Then consider the PW.  But I also really want to make sure I am doing essentially the same full swing to reach the "distance" measured for each club.  backing off and using feel or 3/4, etc..that is secondary.  Right now establishing baseline.

Here is a new gapping objective I am going to strive for.  A goal.  It may involve bending the GW and PW.  It may involve evening out my swings across clubs so that I am using the same basic swing to get close to these goal distances.  It does mean going a little easier on my 9i and PW than previously measured.  It does mean making sure I can get full distance out of my GW and 54 with proper weight shift...but I could most definitely live with these baseline gaps...  after that its a matter of 3/4 swings and feel.  I marked the numbers in red wher ei feel I need to adjsut or improve my swing over the previous measurements in the first post:  

Club Loft Carry Total Gap
3h   200 230 5
4h   195 215 7
5i 27 188 200 11
6i 30 177 187 12
7i 34 165 173 11
8i 38 154 162 11
9i 42 143 147 12
PW 47 131 135 11
GW 50 120 121 12
SW 54 54 108 109 18
LW 58 58 90

Edited by Dewdman42

Mizuno JPX923 Tours

Ping and TaylorMade Hybrids

Taylor Made RBZ 4W and Sim2 Driver

Scotty Cameron Fastback

Currently playing TP5, BRX, BX (still deciding)

54 minutes ago, ChipNRun said:

For the GW to LW, it appears you are throwing darts - minimal rollout. Don't lose that precision in endless tweaking.

True words.  

Just trying to nail down my gapping as a baseline with this new set of irons.  I'm able to hit my vokeys with good height and spin, they stick well it's true.  In the past up until now I have been really good if and when the distance is exactly 100 yards...  because when I do a 54 full swing, but with minimal weight shift...it goes pretty darn consistent 100 yards.  However, then I have the gap around 110.  

So now if I do more of a proper full weight shift with the 54, I will probably make that become my new proper full swing distance of 110.  Ok,..but then what do I do for 100 and 105..or 95 for that matter?  that's where the touch comes in...and I will definitely be sorting that out...but first I need my baseline distance that I can replicate with a "proper" full swing that I can do on demand pretty close every time.  I think my GW and vokey's have been a bit under their true distance due to a lazy weight shift with them.  I'm working on that.  There still might be a shaft lean issue, I need to get some video to know for sure.  I don't flip my clubs, have had many lessons with video showing that I have some shaft lean, not pro level, but its there, not flipped...

but I find it somehow more difficult with the wedges to have as much shaft lean as my mid irons.  But maybe the ball position is affecting that too, hard to say right now without some video.

I think the plan I have above is a good one for attempting to target some distances for each club which I think will make sense...  possibly look at bending the PW and GW, and continuing to work on getting a solid weight shift left with my shorter irons and keeping the hands low to deloft the club, but not excessively, it needs to still feel like a natural swing getting my 54 to 110.

At the top end, I feel fine about my 6i right now, key word there is "shallowing".  I will need to work on my 5i a bit and quite possibly will pickup the JPX Fli Hi hybrids in 4h and possibly 5h we shall see, but anyway I'm much less concerned about that end of the bag, there are maybe one or two situations per round that I want to approach from 200 yards.  On the other hand, I am approaching from 80-130 yards all the friggin time.

Edited by Dewdman42

Mizuno JPX923 Tours

Scotty Cameron Fastback

1 hour ago, greenlight said:

You hit your wedges plenty far, agree with the others that you should look at your iron gapping. Similar numbers to my wedges and my 5i carry is 195 

I do struggle to hit the 54 as far as the latest chart shows.  100 is where i have been hitting it in the past.  If I can get it to 108-110 routinely I will be happier.

Likewise with the GW, it has been my 115 club and I can sometimes hit it 120, but not often.  I want to make that the routine distance for GW.

Sometimes I carry the 5i that far but  not consistently yet.  It’s not a shot that i have to make very often, a few par three tee shots.

Guys I’m not worried nor asking about the upper end of the bag right now.  And this is a technique sub forum, I asked about technique more then I did to find out 14 different opinions about how I should bend my irons or wish that I can hit the 5i further on demand.  I wasn’t asking about that.

You say I need to hit the 5i further and I need to look at my irons.  Aside from the 5i, what problems do you see in my gapping?  Please make sure to look at my last distance chart a few posts ago.  Thanks

Edited by Dewdman42

Mizuno JPX923 Tours

Scotty Cameron Fastback

Btw - today i shot my best round ever, 78; using the last distance chart from a few posts ago as my guideline.  From the longest tees they had, which aren’t that long long but whatever.  

I did not try to hit my GW out to 120, I choked up on the PW instead.  That is my biggest gap as noted above and I want more clarity about that 120 distance before relying on GW to do it.  Same for the 110 shot, choked up GW fi”or now.  Worked out well though.

Mizuno JPX923 Tours

Scotty Cameron Fastback

2 hours ago, Dewdman42 said:

Guys I’m not worried nor asking about the upper end of the bag right now.  And this is a technique sub forum, I asked about technique more then I did to find out 14 different opinions about how I should bend my irons or wish that I can hit the 5i further on demand.  I wasn’t asking about that.

You're asking for general swing advice, which is near impossible without knowing what your actual problem is, other than that the gap you have is unsatisfactory. Tough for anyone to diagnose your swing faults without any video of your swing hitting each wedge. Folks are just working with what you're giving them, which is detailed information about your yardages.

If you're not going to post swing video, then I have to ask this--do you have a common miss with the wedges? Fat or thin? What's your front/back dispersion look like? What are your misses with other clubs?

I did not ask for general swing advice.  see the title and first post again.  Any way the thread is starting to get hostile I feel so I am out now.  Good luck everyone...

• Confused 2

Mizuno JPX923 Tours

Scotty Cameron Fastback