Help Me Build A Sim

jtarble

Ok, looking for input and feedback on a few options for a simulator.  We're rebuilding our garage so that we can putt one in.   We haven't started so assume space isn't an issue (I think we can do 20'x20' very easily.  

I'm assuming the screen/piping/mats/projectors are all preference and budget dependent and I've started looking into those (Carl's Golf Sim is a great spot to start btw). 

What I'm really looking at is the Launch Monitor / Course Software combo.   What should I go with?  Btw I'm thinking around $25k all in but I've been looking at the Full Swing and really like their sim tech so if I get feedback that they're the best I might convince myself to go that route.   Really I'm between the GC Quad, the Uneekor XO 2, and maybe whatever the Full Swing setup would be.  The GC Quad seems to be the best for accuracy.  The Uneekor seems to have really good reviews but I've not heard much from them as far as accuracy, which I consider very important.  And then the Full Swing software seems really good but I don't know a lot about their tech outside of the KIT, which I don't even know if that's what they run their main sims from?  I also don't hate the FUll Swing additional games for fun.

Which of these is best for indoor accuracy and then has the best combination of courses and graphics? Is there anything else I should look at? Thanks in advanced for the feedback.

As far as dimensions go:

- 20' is plenty wide. My screen is 15'x8.5', I have an additional 6' of space behind right handed hitters (and 40' for lefties).

- My hitting area is 15' back from the screen; so a 30* launch hits the very top of the screen

- I have 30' from the screen to the back wall.  in your case with 20' your hitting area to be closer to the screen - having something like 6-8' behind the ball would be good (room fro driver plus people tend to stand behind the hitter). You also need 18-24" behind the screen for access. That gives you 12' which is OK.

- ceiling hight to not feel like you're going to hit it with driver should be as high as possible. Mine is 10' and while I've never hit it I'm still conscious of it. A friend that is 6'3" didn't hit it either. 

Regarding launch monitors

- ball data is great for all of those. Club data and being movable or on the ceiling are the differentiators.

- I first built out my sim for the Uneekor EyeXO (the 2 hadn't come out yet). It is a great system. I think ball data and basic club data (like club head speed, face angle, path) are all very accurate. Dynamic loft was way off and very inconsistent. That system is trying to do with only 2 cameras what GC Quad/Hawk do with 4. For this reason I would expect the EyeXO 2 to be better but I haven't used that system, and I would expect the 4 camera systems to be the best.

General thoughts on ceiling vs. floor:

- ceiling is less work since the system doesn't need to be aligned before each use. it also clears up floor space

- with ceiling mount you can't hit outside, or off uneven lies (this may or may not be important to you).

- personally, I within a year it became important for me to take the launch monitor outside and be able to hit off uneven lies. I sold the Uneekor and got a Trackman 4.

- Hitting of artificial turf is not ideal - irons spin is low and wedge spin is high relative to grass. And not by an insignificant amount - I see 1-1.5k spin differences with identical club delivery.

- I got bored hitting off a flat surface, and my miss hits on the course were most often the result of uneven lies, so practicing this became important for me both indoors and out.

A side note on putting... I also got very tired of putting on a flat surface. After practicing a 30 min a day for 3-4 days, getting ten 10' putts in a row was pretty common, and I wasn't really learning anything. The statistic of pros making 4/10 putts from 10' is misleading. On a flat surface they'd make 10/10 because their start line is +/- 0.5*. It is errors in green reading and distance control on breaking putts that causes them miss 6/10. On breaking putts distance control matters more than start line and IMHO this is a harder skill to develop and maintain.    

• 2 weeks later...

You've got some space for a very very cool set up.

One note on the Full Swing.. I've heard the short game and putting are quite weak. So if you are looking for full game accuracy, you may miss out on some key stuff there for the price. Their marketing is fantastic and the software looks great. As the simulator companies upgrade their graphics engines, they will all eventually catch up to the 4k nice graphics. 

Look at aboutGOLF. They are kind of the opposite of Full Swing where the marketing isn't as flashy, but the accuracy is untouchable across your game, from tee to in the cup. And with your space, you could do a baller curved screen setup. They have a sim locator on their site so you can go check one out. At minimum, it would be worth a call to their sales folks to get an idea of what you'd be looking at for cost and setup. The graphics and ball physics are great with constant improvements and phenomenal customer service. An interesting note on the course list here.. it seems small, but after 8 months of play, I am still loving what is available without the need for anything more. 

Either way, with the space you have, i'm pumped for you and the setup you'll have!

• Like 1

Putter - Stix
60, 56, 52 - Stix
PW-5 Stix w/Fujikura Axiom 105
4H  Paradym w/Fujikura Ventus HB
3W Paradym w/Fujijura Ventus TR Red
Driver Paradym w/Fujikura Ventus TR Blue