MEMBER REVIEWS: KBS PGH Players Graphite Hybrid Shaft Member Testing! See What Members Are Saying!

KBSMemberTesting_MEMBERTESTING_REVIEWS.png.b1c8db51975720a760b55f5b082bc670.png

Five of our GolfWRX members are testing the new KBS PGH Players Graphite Hybrid Shaft! The KBS Players Graphite Hybrid is based on the KBS Players Graphite Iron Platform & family, is a shaft that offers golfers of all abilities an easier launch shaft with better spin - from junior to elite level tangible performance benefits and features enabling playability beyond the universal standard for graphite hybrid shafts. The members below will be reporting back to the community about the things that they have noticed while testing this product. Please feel free to ask any questions that you might have, as the testers will be happy to answer them!

The testers are:

@golfinbrad

@shackmangolf

@iutodd

@Chungy

@dahn

Learn more about the KBS PGH Players Graphite Hybrid Shaft here.

Thank you to @KBS Golf Shaftsfor putting on this member testing event!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would also like to thank @KBS Golf Shafts & GolfWRX for this opportunity.  The KBS Shaft has arrived and looks great!!!  I will be testing in a Cobra Utility iron.  The current set up is 19* with the HZRDUS Black RDX shaft 90 grams 6.5 or x-stiff.  The KBS shaft is 95 grams, which is their stiff +.  I plan on getting to the range today for some more specific numbers with the HZRDUS.  If all goes well, will swap shafts tomorrow and get some KBS numbers this weekend.

IMG_20231005_130007177.jpg.46f4a7b6af52fbe444613246d93a7428.jpgIMG_20231005_130057289.jpg.ac5e4db40ff156dbc1abcfc582f23ed3.jpgIMG_20231005_130230528.jpg.e4a201e87dd8d206a057167537a8d1df.jpgIMG_20231005_130237993.jpg.715a34e1ab4685d60bdd4abdf1d10271.jpg

• Like 3

4 hours ago, shackmangolf said:

Well - I spoke too soon. Here is my teaser pic.  Damn UPS.  @KBS Golf ShaftsI’ll call you in AM.  

IMG_1393.jpeg

IMG_1394.jpeg

IMG_1396.jpeg

Ouch!

Paradym 9 + Vanquish

Stealth 2+ 3w + Ventus Blue

Callaway UT 2024 Tour Issue 18 + KBS PGH

Mizuno 923 Tour 4-P + ProjectX LZ

Cleveland RTX 6 50 55 60

Toulon Design Vista + BGT Tour Stability

Thanks again to @KBS Golf Shafts and GolfWRX for this opportunity.  The HZRDUS line has always fit me well.  Currently gaming the RDX Blue in the driver, original Yellow in the 3 wood  and RDX Black in the Utility.  The KBS PGH has a little higher torque and what sounds to be a little higher launch than what I currently play.  I am going in to this with an open mind and have been surprised before with results vs preconceived notions.  This review is a little more difficult than one involving shafts with adapters.  I did have a range session using my original setup Cobra 19* Utility with a HZRDUS RDX Black 6.5 90 gram shaft.  Here are some numbers using a swing caddie sc200 plus.  I realize this is not as accurate as Trackman or GC, but not were not available at the time. 

IMG_20231005_155718314.jpg.a605554bc100b5c326ad2be7917d7697.jpg

IMG_20231005_154926939.jpg.0df4c381bba99038af7ad7f4b6c60c1c.jpg

Now to the PGH.  I really like what KBS, Fujikura Ventus, Graphite Designs Tours, etc. do with their shaft painting/logos.  They are easily identifiable on TV and the range.  The KBS PGH is no different.  The red label stands out.  I like it.  I installed the PGH with the same length, grip and swing weight as the HRZDUS.  The PGH is about 5 grams heavier in weight.  The HZRDUS installed at Cobra had a 2-3 gram weight.  This was not needed in the PGH to match swing weights.

IMG_20231008_104404550.jpg.0fae92a7af660a8da5bd3fdbcf7cb77e.jpgIMG_20231008_104416863_HDR.jpg.d465c6379cf75b9d914319c2fcf3cd79.jpg

Off to the range for a quick session.  Was not hitting the ball as well as the day before, but at least got an idea.  Overall the numbers were very similar. 

IMG_20231007_155952242_HDR.jpg.0f525db26719f44cf867da646404497d.jpg

IMG_20231007_155443121_HDR.jpg.7cb23e2a4a2aa1ba84004be341b9e819.jpg

So now for the things that numbers don't show.  The biggest thing I noticed with the PGH was it had no distinct kick.  It felt more like a one piece feel.  I can feel a distinct kick with the HZRDUS.  It is not a good or bad thing, just different.  Secondly, I didn't see much difference in terms of flight between the two.  Both have a nice boring flight.  I in no means see a high or even a mid-high flight.  It is easy to work and vary trajectories.  I felt like I hit the HZRDUS a little more consistent, but that has been a setup I have been using and this was literally swap and go to the range.  I did find the KBS a little easier to hit off the deck than the HZRDUS.  I did not see any big curves or off the grid shots.  Most mishits held their line and still had solid distance.  After one session, it is way too early to tell my overall thoughts.  The KBS will stay in my bag for the remainder of the season.  Being in PA, you never know when exactly that will be.  I will continue posting updates for how it does on the course and when on the local FlightScope.  I will update in a couple of weeks.

Thanks again to @KBS Golf Shafts!  I was able to get the shaft installed this week and I did some before and after testing on a Trackman.  I was also able to play nine holes where I hit the Hybrid a lot off the tee, which is something I do a fair amount.

I replaced a stock Alta CB 70S on my Ping G410 3H with the new KBS PGH.  The KBS weighs a bit more, and the extra weight was immediately noticeable.  It also just felt more...solid than the old shaft if that makes sense.  It feels good in my hands.

Trackman testing was done using the same bay and the same balls (Snell MTB Prime) - and just off the mat, not on a tee of any kind.  I had the little reflective stickers on the balls for both tests.  Golf Galaxy was kind enough to email me the test data and it looks like I can just link directly to the data - which I suppose I'll just go ahead and do.  After posting the data I'll add my observations and then go into the numbers to highlight what I was feeling.

(Note: I screwed up on the first test - I was aimed to the LEFT and not directly down the center.  I don't know why I did this but you just have to imagine the center aim line being about 10 yards to the left for the original stock shaft test.)

First Test (with stock shaft): https://trackman.page.link/Q6Nqt

Second Test (with KBS PGH shaft): https://trackman.page.link/ADqcp

There is a lot of possible things to talk about here but my main observation is that the PGH shaft is just a LOT easier to hit.  My normal ball flight is a cut and the shaft seemed to just let the club do exactly what I wanted it to do.  With my stock shaft I felt like I had to make just the right swing to get the ball in my desired window - with the KBS shaft I can just swing freely.  It took a while to get that figured out - I'm betting if I go back my dispersion will be even tighter with the KBS shaft.  On the course it was a similar story - I just felt like I could swing away and the ball was going to come out in the window I wanted and fall to the right.

The data shows that the KBS was delivering a lower flight with less spin while carrying a bit longer.  The dispersion is also tighter with the biggest misses closer to the center line than with my old shaft.  This also carries over to my observed feel on the range and on the course - the KBS just feels like it's going to deliver the club exactly right every time (absent a horrible swing obviously).  The spin was also more consistent with the KBS shaft (which is good for me because my miss is a weak spinny slice).  I also feel like my "top end" is going to be higher with the KBS shaft.  My longest hit with the old shaft (#13) was a dead pull with the path and face both negative.  With the new shaft I was able to match that carry even with less club head speed and with much better face/path angles (#17).  

To sum up my experience so far the KBS shaft is much easier to hit and I feel very good with it in my hands.  I historically have a lot of trouble just swinging the club freely - I get nervous and I get too specific with my swing thoughts - and I overthink and make a bad swing.  On the course I was able to just stand on the tee, pick my line, and make the swing with confidence.  This is going to help my game in so many ways: less stress, more confidence on short par 4s and on par 5s going for it in two.  Excited to get back out again and hit the club some more.

Was able to get on the course today.  Low 50s and winds 10-20 mph.  Good day to test. Still feeling a one piece design with no distinct kick.  The ball seemed to hold it's line very well regardless of wind direction.  As said in my opening review the HZRDUS line suits me very well, so this one was not on my radar.  That said, so far very impressed and not changing out for now.  Flight is a little higher than HZRDUS, but it did not balloon or was effected by the wind.  Very solid performance.  Should gat back out tomorrow.

• Like 1

Got out again today and hit the hybrid 3 times - a few less times since it was a different course. 

It is still great and I feel super confident with it. One off the tee I hit the fairway on my nemesis hole which led to a par.  Next shot was from the fairway on a par five. Absolutely smoked it onto the green - I was downwind but based on the gps it carried right around 230 - two putted for birdie.

I did have a bit of a loose swing with it on the next par five- just got out in front of it - but even then it held its line pretty well and it wasn’t nearly as penal as I feel like it would have been with the old shaft - as I think I mentioned a common miss for me is a weak spinny slice. I was still in the green side bunker (we won’t talk about what my bunker shot was like). 

Again the best thing about the shaft so far is that I just feel like I can swing freely with it. I struggle with trusting my swing and this shaft has really helped me just be like Queen Elsa and let it go. (Yes I have small kids.)

Finally got my shaft after the UPS mishap.  I am in process of building up the club but here is a preview of what I am going to test.

I am shaft / long iron / hybrid junkie.  My current gamer is the Graphite Design Tour AD DI 85s. This works for me really well in my PING iCrossover 2 iron. I also game a 3 hybrid with the KBS Tour Prototype 85s.  I like both shafts for different reasons.

The GD AD DI is a perfect mix of kick and stability. You can feel the kick on it. The KBS Tour Proto is much more solid feeling and very very very stable. Feels very one piece but you can really go after it.

I plan on testing the new KBS with both of these shafts. Also, for kicks, I have a back up 2 iron that has a Steelfibre 85 Private Reserve.  I hope the new KBS Players Hybrid is a mix of these - stable but with some kick and with more feeel than the KBS Tour Proto.

Waiting for the epoxy to dry.

Not a tester but I won this shaft in a giveaway and put it in my Caley 01x. Has a nice firm feel. Ball really holes its line well. Very nice trajectory. Goes really well with my iron set. With wet weather rolling in may get less run. I will say this setup has kicked out my 4i in the bag as it has more versatility and fits my gaps better. Kbs is really on to something with the PGH. 

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with KBS TD Cat 44.5" (Ventus black as backup)

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Snell Prime 4.0

17 hours ago, golfinbrad said:

I have 2 questions for @KBS Golf Shafts

1.  Is the PGH the same shaft as the Hybrid Proto you had out prior?

2.  Which iron shaft is the PGH closest to?

My understanding it is is closer to the Tour line. The proto and pgh are also different. The proto should launch lower and spin less. @KBS Golf Shafts correct me if I am wrong. 

Driver: Callaway Epic Max LS with KBS TD Cat 44.5" (Ventus black as backup)

4w: '22 Rogue ST LS 16.5  Tensei AV Blue 75x

7w: '22 Callaway Apex UW 21 80s MMT

DI: Caley 01X 18* with KBS PGH 95

4-AW: PXG OG 0211  with KBS Tour Stiff 2.5* up 3/4" long MOI matched

Wedges: Cleveland Zipcore 54 Full/58 Mid 

Putter: DF2.1 35"69* in blue

Ball: Snell Prime 4.0

Still seeing good results from this shaft.  I can't say there is anything special or over the top with the KBS PGH, but it has flat our performed for me.  I have a few more rounds lined up over the next couple of weeks.  If this trend continues, I will considering adding a Cobra 4 utility iron with the PGH to the bag.  Right now, Cobra does not offer this as an option, so would have to order directly from KBS.  No big deal.  Good job KBS on this one.

On 10/17/2023 at 3:14 PM, golfinbrad said:

I have 2 questions for @KBS Golf Shafts

1.  Is the PGH the same shaft as the Hybrid Proto you had out prior?

2.  Which iron shaft is the PGH closest to?

I reached out to KBS directly about these questions.  Here is there responses.

1.  Our PGH hybrid shafts will have a stiff and mid-section, with a softer tip section. The tip section, however, is not as soft as our Max graphite shafts, and will not have as high as a launch either

2.  If you are looking for a comparable steel shaft to the PGH hybrid shaft, then we recommend you play either our $-taper Lite or $-taper shaft, depending on the weight.

Got on the course yesterday.  Temps were mid 60s with a slight breeze.  Could not ask for a nicer day for late October in PA.  2 par 3 were playing around 215 yards slightly into that breeze.  Hit one to about 20 feet and other just rolled off that back.  It hit pin high, but pin was only 3 paces on from the back.  Shaft performed great.  High enough land with little roll out, but not to high that the breeze knocked it out of the air.  I purposely hit it off 4 par 4s, which again was very solid.  The tester was going for a par 5 in 2 from about 210 over water out of the rough.  I caught it a little off the heel, but made it to the front edge rolling past the pin.  Came out of the rough with a piercing flight, which was awesome.  Don't see me switching back to the original HZRDUS at this time.

My only complaint is the availability of this shaft.  Most companies will likely make it an upcharge, which is likely to deter many players.  Also, don't think many people go to a fitting for hybrids or driving irons, so it could be a real sleeper.  It is most definitely worth trying if given the opportunity.  

• Like 1

Hello everybody, I apologize for my delay in the reviews. I don't know how to read and I got suspended for 2 weeks for a listing violation. Either way, I'm eager to give you all my thoughts and I'm going to separate my posts for easier digestion and claritys sake. 
First, a little background info:
Male 6'1" 210lbs
Handicap: No official but it says ~5 on my Grint App
Lowest Score: 73 (2x) 
Been playing for about 6 yrs total on and off, but got really into it for the past 2 years. I love to experiment with clubs, probably to the detriment of my game, but it's part of the fun for me. 
::::::::::
Swing speed for driver is about 113 and I carry around 260-270
Best part of my game is probably irons
Worst part of my game is the driver, which is why my Utility Iron is KEY

Added a random old video of my swing, give me some tips lol
Current Clubs:
Titleist Tsr3 10º w/ Venus TR Blue 6x
Callaway Apex UW 17º w/ Tour AD IZ-8X
T200 utility (Tour AD 105x, Ventus HB 9x, HZRDUS Black 6.5, etc)
T100 w/ Axiom 125x (Testing the Apex CBs as well)
MG3 50/54/60
Scotty Cameron Buttonback 08 
KBS PGH 105X
I chose this shaft because the Venus HB 9x in my T200 Utility cracked, and I was going through the warranty process when I was informed I was selected as a reviewer. After I confirmed that this shaft could be worked into a utility iron with the KBS rep and my local fitter, I thought what perfect timing and I chose the heaviest and stiffest option to replace my Ventus.

I was having a lot of success with the T200 and Ventus combo as I would use it as my fairway finder and whenever I was losing confidence in my driver. There have been rounds where I ONLY tee off with a driving iron. I’ve been focusing a lot on my driver game and the mental side of it, so I haven’t had to rely on the utility iron as much, but it is still an absolute necessity in my bag.

IMG-9164.jpg

IMG-8906.jpg

IMG-8903.jpg

Edited by Chungy
added video

My favorite club in the bag has been my Utility 3 iron for quite a while. I can count on it to find the fairway off the tee and carry it about 225-235 andI love the low penetrating flight that gets me a ton of roll. Like I said before, the Venus HB shaft was great for me. I've done a ton of experimenting and I finally settled on it because of the smooth feel, and I felt that it could handle my swing when I really tried to go at it (which happens often). 

I tend to hit my irons pretty high, and the utility iron was having the same issues as I was experimenting with different models:

- Tour AD IZ and DI hybrids went too high and ballooned on me

- Stock Tensei and HZRDUS Black shafts were good when I really tried to swing at it, but didn't have the best feel during stock swings. 

- OBAN Devotion HB felt way too whippy, even at X flex.

Needless to say, I was very disappointed my Ventus cracked, luckily the PGA SS replaced it after I pleaded my case over a few days. 

The KBS PGH had big shoes to fill as I've never really tried any KBS product before. I've always heard great things about their iron shafts and TD driver shafts, so I was very excited to put it into play. 

IMG-0096.jpg

IMG-0100.jpg

IMG-0119.jpg

IMG-0125.jpg

IMG-0301.jpg

IMG-0305.jpg

IMG-0355.jpg

IMG-0357.jpg

Now to the star of the show:

First impressions:

Beautiful shaft...matte black and red is always a killer combo. Honestly, KBS isn't known for having the craziest designs or anything, but the simplicity looked pretty sick in the T200 utility head. Didn't really feel as heavy as the other shafts I've tried, which was surprising since this was technically heavier than a few others I've tried in the 85-95ish range. 

First time at the range:

There was definitely some early struggles trying to time this thing compared to the one I was used to. However, I eventually got the hang of it and really enjoyed the smoothness. Had a lot more kick than I was used to as well.

I don't have access to a trackman or any high end system, but my local range has TopTracer and these were some of the results...Will update more soon. 

IMG-0139.jpg

• Like 1

I was one of the few lucky people to be chosen to review the shaft.  Sorry for the delay, the little ones got sick and gave it to me and I was out of commission for the past week.  I'll attach pictures later from my phone as I am typing this review on my computer.

In regards to my current bag set up, I am currently playing $ taper lites (stiff) in my irons and based on the feedback from the recent KBS chat, I went with the 85gm S for my 4 hybrid.  

My previous set up was G425 4 hybrid with Ping Tour 85 S shaft and a G425 3 hybrid with the HZRDOUS 75gm silver shaft.

I had two range sessions with the hybrid and played 1 round this past week.

First impressions:  I love the look of the black matte finish with the black/silver colorway of the Ping hybrid head.  It's a beautiful combination.

I didn't find the shaft too light as the Ping Tour plays at a very similar weight.   

I found the ball flight to be lower than my current gamer.  I plan to take it to a range with Top Tracer Monday, so I will be able to give better numbers next week on the launch angle and spin.  It felt like it like the kick point was lower than my current shaft.

Moving the ball/turning it over was not an issue and it did not feel overly boardy and I could load the shaft appropriately.   The dispersion was pretty tight even on mishits.

During my round I had a chance to use my 4 hybrid twice.

First, par 5, 209 from the pin.  I caught the ball on the toe because of a tough downhill lie but the ball still flew straight, so the shaft was very forgiving.  The ball flight remained low as from my experience from the range.

Second was one a 205 par 3 into the wind.  A flighted shot 5 yards left of the pin with good spin and did not roll out too much despite the distance.

I'm looking forward to some more range time and another round next week.

Cheers!

IMG_5577.jpeg

IMG_5576.jpeg

Edited by dahn
  • Like 1

I was able to take my 3 iron out to the course a few times and was able to put it into a few different scenarios for testing. 

Off the tee: My distance wasn't really affected my the shaft change, I was still punting it out there around 230ish. The biggest difference for me was in the launch angle as I found it a little more difficult to try to keep it low. Personally, I felt like this 105x feels more like a S or S+. Not boardy at all.

Ooff the fairway/rough: Getting the right timing for this shaft needs some getting used to if you're expecting a Ventus X or DI 105x. However, if I tried to put a smooth swing on it, I got great trajectory off the ground and it was easier to keep it lowish. 

I'm actually thinking about sticking this onto a X Forged UT 18º that I haven't been able to find a good matching shaft for. This may or may not happen, will have to see after a few more practice sessions. Will report back soon. 

• Like 2

Quick update…

so this shaft didn’t perform the way that I wanted my main driving iron to perform, so I went back to the ventus in my 3 utility iron.

I did like the shaft, but it’s really not for someone who’s got a quicker transition. On my stock shots, it performed as well as it could with a nice high/piercing trajectory that doesn’t just fall out of the sky. Definitely a shaft that’ll help land softly on greens for those par 5s

I had a 2 utility iron that i havent been able to find a shaft for and I thought that I’d give it a whirl. 

0757256B-FAC4-4049-8F22-ACBA8C78C473.jpeg

• Like 1