Jump to content
2024 Masters Discussion & Photos ×

Orlando right now


05LMBVette

Recommended Posts

I'm coming to Orlando in 2 weeks... looking to play two rounds, one of them at shingle creek since we're staying at the Rosen there. I've played in Orlando a ton in the past 10 years, but interested in what's in the best shape right now. Can't decide if I want to play one of my favorites (OCN or Southern Dunes) or try something new like the Ritz Carlton or Bella Collina.

 

Any locals with some guidance? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Orlando courses I play are in good shape at present. Played Southern Dunes yesterday. You shouldn't hesitate to play there. You shouldn't worry about conditioning at any of the well known courses in the next few weeks.

 

Edit - I played Highlands Reserve this morning. It's in the best condition I've seen there in the last 3+ years. Greens are not super fast, but roll well Really good and inexpensive

Edited by sabram
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Not a local, so I don't have immediate knowledge, but the Ritz is always in great shape.  I like the course because it's fairly gettable, you don't need to have your best stuff that day, but the closing stretch does have some teeth.

 

Have you done Bay Hill yet?

 

DRIVER: Callaway Mavrik Sub-Zero 10.5*

3W: Callaway Mavrik Sub-Zero

3H: Callaway Mavrik Tour

IRONS: Titleist 2019 T100 // 4-PW // DG AMT White S300

WEDGES: Vokey SM9 Raw // 50*, 54*, 58*

PUTTER: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

BALL: Titleist ProV1 (preferrably high #s)

BAG: Titleist LinksLegend Green/White

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have booked Bella Collina for Friday and also trying to get an early morning round in before i fly out on Sat.... How is ChampionsGate international?  I am debating it or OCN Crooked Cat... i've played both OCN courses a number of times, and they're considerably more wallet happy, but i see mixed reviews on ChampionsGate.  Thoughts or recommendations?

Edited by 05LMBVette
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/9/2023 at 1:43 PM, 05LMBVette said:

I have booked Bella Collina for Friday and also trying to get an early morning round in before i fly out on Sat.... How is ChampionsGate international?  I am debating it or OCN Crooked Cat... i've played both OCN courses a number of times, and they're considerably more wallet happy, but i see mixed reviews on ChampionsGate.  Thoughts or recommendations?


I liked Celebration more than crooked cat.  Southern Dunes is a gem, which you already know. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/9/2023 at 1:43 PM, 05LMBVette said:

I have booked Bella Collina for Friday and also trying to get an early morning round in before i fly out on Sat.... How is ChampionsGate international?  I am debating it or OCN Crooked Cat... i've played both OCN courses a number of times, and they're considerably more wallet happy, but i see mixed reviews on ChampionsGate.  Thoughts or recommendations?

There are three Championsgate courses. The National and International at the Omni resort and the semi-private Championsgate Country Club. The Country Club is the best course of the three. The main downsides to the country club are that there are lots of ugly houses lining many of the holes and really long cart rides between the holes which are scattered across the huge housing development. 

 

Both courses at the Omni are almost always in pristine condition ( except for a couple holes on the National that don't drain well)and  are in a nice setting. I prefer the International which is somewhat linksy, with generous fairways  and a really  nice variety of holes. 

The National has more of a Carolina feeling with several weak holes and a couple holes that are almost always wet abd CPO. Both courses at the Omni have good oar 5 finishing hiles 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/9/2023 at 1:43 PM, 05LMBVette said:

I have booked Bella Collina for Friday and also trying to get an early morning round in before i fly out on Sat.... How is ChampionsGate international?  I am debating it or OCN Crooked Cat... i've played both OCN courses a number of times, and they're considerably more wallet happy, but i see mixed reviews on ChampionsGate.  Thoughts or recommendations?

If you don't mind me asking. What is the rate at Bella Collina? Headed to central Florida in a couple of weeks and trying to put together 8 rounds of golf. Thanks

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, negolfking said:

If you don't mind me asking. What is the rate at Bella Collina? Headed to central Florida in a couple of weeks and trying to put together 8 rounds of golf. Thanks

 

$175

 

After reading some more reviews I chose to bail on Bella Collina and just go with Southern Dunes. Reviews didn't seem to justify nearly double the cost of courses I know are fantastic! 

 

I'm doing Southern Dunes and Crooked Cat. Wanted to do something different but ultimately CC is where I could get an early tee time, so I can get back and get a shower before heading to Disney Springs with my wife 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, negolfking said:

How about getting tee times? will be down for 10 days looking to play 8 rounds, how far in advance should we get tee times? is it hard to get times 2-3 days in advance?

Thanks

 

In my experience on 6-8 trips to Orlando,  if you want to be picky about what time you play, or you have a large group, you better get times well in advance.  If there's only 1 or 2 of you and you're flexible on the time of day you play, you'll have no problem. And since most courses are on golfnow, can get some stellar deals

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, negolfking said:

is it hard to get times 2-3 days in advance?

Depends on what time of year and how flexible you are on which courses and what times you want to play. December through March the most popular courses fill up well in advance so you might have slim pickings on the more popular courses if you wait to 2-3 days in advance.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 10/13/2023 at 9:02 PM, sabram said:

Depends on what time of year and how flexible you are on which courses and what times you want to play. December through March the most popular courses fill up well in advance so you might have slim pickings on the more popular courses if you wait to 2-3 days in advance.

Will be there Saturday the 21st. Already have a tee time for arrival day at Highlands reserve.

Have 8 guys and don't really have a preference as to time of day to play.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 hours ago, negolfking said:

Will be there Saturday the 21st. Already have a tee time for arrival day at Highlands reserve.

Have 8 guys and don't really have a preference as to time of day to play.

End of October you should be able to find some good tee times for eight players 2 or 3 days in advance, especially if you are willing to play after noon. Besides Highlands Reserve, where are you looking to play?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, sabram said:

End of October you should be able to find some good tee times for eight players 2 or 3 days in advance, especially if you are willing to play after noon. Besides Highlands Reserve, where are you looking to play?

Sunday we have Providence, Monday Mystic Dunes. Tues. TBD, Wed. Juliette falls .

The rest of the week undetermined .

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 10/16/2023 at 10:39 AM, negolfking said:

Will be there Saturday the 21st. Already have a tee time for arrival day at Highlands reserve.

Have 8 guys and don't really have a preference as to time of day to play.

With 8 guys, I’d recommend using a booking agency to put a package together. I think I used teetimesusa. They will put together an itinerary with all the good courses in Orlando. If you want to play 36 in a day, they will put you on a course with 36 or in close proximity to another course. They can also book condos if you need lodging. In my opinion, you will get better rates with less work on your end. 
another great thing is that they can charge your players individually So you aren’t chasing people down for $$. 
 

Not a shill for teetimesusa, just a satisfied customer. I organize an annual trip of 20 players, so I know that any shortcuts come in handy. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, renobleiii said:

I’m headed to Orlando next month on family vacation. I get to play one round, but I have no experience with Orlando golf. Where should I play? 

Where are you staying and what's your budget? The greater Orlando area is very big and has lots of traffic so where you will be staying is important. My standard answer is play Southern Dunes, but I might make other suggestions based on where you'll be staying 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, sabram said:

Where are you staying and what's your budget? The greater Orlando area is very big and has lots of traffic so where you will be staying is important. My standard answer is play Southern Dunes, but I might make other suggestions based on where you'll be staying 

Staying in lake buena vista/disney world area. Budget isn’t a big factor, though I’d like to stay under 150. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, renobleiii said:

Staying in lake buena vista/disney world area. Budget isn’t a big factor, though I’d like to stay under 150. 

 

Southern Dunes is my favorite course within an hour of Disney World and it will cost you about $100. It will take you at least 45 minutes to drive from WDW to Southern Dunes. That's where I would play

 

However, there are courses that are closer to WDW and my order of preference would be:

Grand Cypress Links (approx $125)

Orange County National (2 courses) (approx $130)

Championsgate Golf Club at the Omni (2 courses)  (approx $125)

Disney  (3 courses, but I'd play the Palm) approx $150

Celebration (approx $125)

Waldorf (approx $165)

Orange Lake Legends (approx $110)

Shingle Creek (approx$120)

Hawks Landing (approx $120)

 

If you play in the afternoon green fees are lower than quoted above.

 

If you are looking for solid bargain courses I'd suggest either Highlands Reserve for approx $60 or Orange Lake Reserve at approx $70.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, sabram said:

 

Southern Dunes is my favorite course within an hour of Disney World and it will cost you about $100. It will take you at least 45 minutes to drive from WDW to Southern Dunes. That's where I would play

 

However, there are courses that are closer to WDW and my order of preference would be:

Grand Cypress Links (approx $125)

Orange County National (2 courses) (approx $130)

Championsgate Golf Club at the Omni (2 courses)  (approx $125)

Disney  (3 courses, but I'd play the Palm) approx $150

Celebration (approx $125)

Waldorf (approx $165)

Orange Lake Legends (approx $110)

Shingle Creek (approx$120)

Hawks Landing (approx $120)

 

If you play in the afternoon green fees are lower than quoted above.

 

If you are looking for solid bargain courses I'd suggest either Highlands Reserve for approx $60 or Orange Lake Reserve at approx $70.

This is great. Thanks for the list. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/8/2023 at 9:31 PM, Philfil said:

With how bad traffic is, and where you’ll be, go play celebration, and visit the town tavern after.  It’s closer to you and that town is a lot of fun. 

This actually makes sense in many ways for my trip. My wife went to HS in celebration and will be visiting family friends there while I golf. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Headed to Orlando next week.  Already playing Championsgate and Southern Dunes.  I've got one round left- could you all help me make a selection out of the following?

 

Deer Island

White Heron

Mission Inn (Campeon or Colinas)

 

The only OCN course available appears to be Tooth- has lots of tee times, I assume there's a reason for that.

 

Should I swap Championsgate/Southern Dunes for any of the following that are available for our first two days?

Grand Cypress Links

Shingle Creek

Magnolia

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/28/2023 at 11:23 AM, dcfball88 said:

Headed to Orlando next week.  Already playing Championsgate and Southern Dunes.  I've got one round left- could you all help me make a selection out of the following?

 

Deer Island

White Heron

Mission Inn (Campeon or Colinas)

 

The only OCN course available appears to be Tooth- has lots of tee times, I assume there's a reason for that.

 

Should I swap Championsgate/Southern Dunes for any of the following that are available for our first two days?

Grand Cypress Links

Shingle Creek

Magnolia

 

The Tooth course at OCN is their 9 hole walking course.  It's fun for what it is.

 

I've played all the other courses you've listed except for White Heron and I think any of them would be good choices.  I prefer the Campeon course at Mission Inn over Colinas as it's more challenging.

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 11/28/2023 at 11:23 AM, dcfball88 said:

Headed to Orlando next week.  Already playing Championsgate and Southern Dunes.  I've got one round left- could you all help me make a selection out of the following?

 

Deer Island

White Heron

Mission Inn (Campeon or Colinas)

 

The only OCN course available appears to be Tooth- has lots of tee times, I assume there's a reason for that.

 

Should I swap Championsgate/Southern Dunes for any of the following that are available for our first two days?

Grand Cypress Links

Shingle Creek

Magnolia

 

For your extra round, El Campeon is my first choice from among the three you listed.

 

Don't miss Southern Dunes.

 

If you are thinking of " trading up" from one of the Championsgate courses, the only one on your list I'd choose is Grand Cypress Links

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • Our picks

    • 2024 Masters - Discussion and Links to Photos
      Huge shoutout to our member Stinger2irons for taking and posting photos from Augusta
       
       
      Tuesday
       
      The Masters 2024 – Pt. 1
      The Masters 2024 – Pt. 2
      The Masters 2024 – Pt. 3
      The Masters 2024 – Pt. 4
      The Masters 2024 – Pt. 5
      The Masters 2024 – Pt. 6
      The Masters 2024 – Pt. 7
      The Masters 2024 – Pt. 8
      The Masters 2024 – Pt. 9
      The Masters 2024 – Pt. 10
       
       
       
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 12 replies
    • Rory McIlroy testing a new TaylorMade "PROTO" 4-iron – 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Rory McIlroy testing a new TaylorMade "PROTO" 4-iron – 2024 Valero Texas Open
        • Thanks
        • Like
      • 90 replies
    • 2024 Valero Texas Open - Discussion and Links to Photos
      Please put any questions or Comments here
       
       
       
      General Albums
       
      2024 Valero Texas Open - Monday #1
      2024 Valero Texas Open - Tuesday #1
       
       
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
      Ben Taylor - WITB - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Paul Barjon - WITB - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Joe Sullivan - WITB - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Wilson Furr - WITB - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Ben Willman - SoTex PGA Section Champ - WITB - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Jimmy Stanger - WITB - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Rickie Fowler - WITB - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Harrison Endycott - WITB - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Vince Whaley - WITB - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Kevin Chappell - WITB - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Christian Bezuidenhout - WITB (mini) - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Scott Gutschewski - WITB - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Michael S. Kim WITB – 2024 Valero Texas Open
       
       
       
      Pullout Albums
       
      Cameron putter - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Ben Taylor with new Titleist TRS 2 wood - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Swag cover - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Greyson Sigg's custom Cameron putter - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Davis Riley's custom Cameron putter - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Josh Teater's custom Cameron putter - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Hzrdus T1100 is back - - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Mark Hubbard testing ported Titleist irons – 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Tyson Alexander testing new Titleist TRS 2 wood - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Hideki Matsuyama's custom Cameron putter - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Cobra putters - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Joel Dahmen WITB – 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Axis 1 broomstick putter - 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Rory McIlroy testing a new TaylorMade "PROTO" 4-iron – 2024 Valero Texas Open
      Rory McIlroy's Trackman numbers w/ driver on the range – 2024 Valero Texas Open
       
       
       
        • Like
      • 4 replies
    • 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open - Discussion and links to Photos
      Please put any questions or Comments here
       
       
       
      General Albums
       
      2024 Texas Children's Houston Open - Monday #1
      2024 Texas Children's Houston Open - Monday #2
      2024 Texas Children's Houston Open - Tuesday #1
      2024 Texas Children's Houston Open - Tuesday #2
      2024 Texas Children's Houston Open - Tuesday #3
       
       
       
       
      WITB Albums
       
      Thorbjorn Olesen - WITB - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Ben Silverman - WITB - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Jesse Droemer - SoTX PGA Section POY - WITB - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      David Lipsky - WITB - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Martin Trainer - WITB - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Zac Blair - WITB - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Jacob Bridgeman - WITB - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Trace Crowe - WITB - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Jimmy Walker - WITB - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Daniel Berger - WITB(very mini) - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Chesson Hadley - WITB - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Callum McNeill - WITB - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Rhein Gibson - WITB - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Patrick Fishburn - WITB - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Peter Malnati - WITB - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Raul Pereda - WITB - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Gary Woodland WITB (New driver, iron shafts) – 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Padraig Harrington WITB – 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
       
       
       
       
      Pullout Albums
       
      Tom Hoge's custom Cameron - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Cameron putter - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Piretti putters - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Ping putter - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Kevin Dougherty's custom Cameron putter - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Bettinardi putter - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Cameron putter - 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Erik Barnes testing an all-black Axis1 putter – 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
      Tony Finau's new driver shaft – 2024 Texas Children's Houston Open
       
       
       
       
       
      • 13 replies
    • 2024 Valspar Championship WITB Photos (Thanks to bvmagic)- Discussion & Links to Photos
      This weeks WITB Pics are from member bvmagic (Brian). Brian's first event for WRX was in 2008 at Bayhill while in college. Thanks so much bv.
       
      Please put your comments or question on this thread. Links to all the threads are below...
       
       
       
       
        • Like
      • 31 replies

×
×
  • Create New...