2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

vokey spin milled lofts

chaffee04

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I haven't heard anything to suggest that they will bring them to retail. They spin SO much that with a 52* or a 50* you would hardly be able to hit bump n run shots and the like. Maybe someone else has heard different but to my knowledge there are no plans currently to release them.

Titleist TS3 10.5° w/ Tensei AV 55 Stiff
Titleist TS2 16.5° w/ Tensei AV 65 Stiff
Titleist TS2 21° w/ Tensei AV 75 Stiff
Titleist U510 23° w/ Tensei Blue AM2 Stiff
Titleist 714 AP2 5-9 w/ XP 95 S300
Vokey SM8 46°, 50°, 54°, 60° w/ XP 95 S300
Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34"

I couldn't imagine replacing my 50º with a Spin Milled. I have a 2-year old Oil Can in there right now, the grooves are pretty much shot, and it is already hard to control spin on even knockdown shots. I will be putting a 54º in the bag during the winter sometime, but I think Vokey made a smart move not bringing the 50 to the streets. I would think that there would be more negative feedback than posotive just because they DO spin so much. I mean I could be wrong, I wouldn't mind having one to experiment with, but my assumption is that anything that has less loft than a 54º would just put crazy amount of spin on the ball.

- Bryan

hey guys thanks for your feedback. so the spin milleds really do get crazy spin? i am a pretty high spin player so would you suggest i just go wtih the oil cans or the black nickel most likely? im looking to get 3 new vokeys, most likely 50, 54, 58 since my PW is 47* just to keep a nice gap between wedges. any other input would be greatly appreciated. thanks again.

chaffee04

hey guys thanks for your feedback. so the spin milleds really do get crazy spin? i am a pretty high spin player so would you suggest i just go wtih the oil cans or the black nickel most likely? im looking to get 3 new vokeys, most likely 50, 54, 58 since my PW is 47* just to keep a nice gap between wedges. any other input would be greatly appreciated. thanks again.

chaffee04

I am a fairly high spin player, and I also have the 50º, 54º, 58º set-up in Vokey wedges aswell. I would defenitely reccomend grabbing a 50º in the Tour Chrome, and then a 54º, and 58º in the Spin Milled. It all depends on what conditions you are playing in, and whether you take full swings with your 54º or 58º wedges. I rarely take full swings with my 54º which is why I think I am going to grab the 54º Spin Milled, and keep my 58º SM in the bag. I picked up a 200 series Raw wedge that I think were on the streets a couple years ago replacing my 54º Oil Can in the meantime, so I will see how much spin that gets.

I would say if you play in soft conditions year round, look into a 54º and a 50º in a Non-SM finish/groove, and throw a 58º SM in there. If you play in hard/fast conditions don't hesitate to throw in a 54º SM becuase they are excellent wedges, and as long as you don't swing down on them too hard, you won't have too much of a problem controlling spin.

Hope that helped!

Hit 'em straight, Bryan

chaffee04

I am a fairly high spin player, and I also have the 50º, 54º, 58º set-up in Vokey wedges aswell. I would defenitely reccomend grabbing a 50º in the Tour Chrome, and then a 54º, and 58º in the Spin Milled. It all depends on what conditions you are playing in, and whether you take full swings with your 54º or 58º wedges. I rarely take full swings with my 54º which is why I think I am going to grab the 54º Spin Milled, and keep my 58º SM in the bag. I picked up a 200 series Raw wedge that I think were on the streets a couple years ago replacing my 54º Oil Can in the meantime, so I will see how much spin that gets.

I would say if you play in soft conditions year round, look into a 54º and a 50º in a Non-SM finish/groove, and throw a 58º SM in there. If you play in hard/fast conditions don't hesitate to throw in a 54º SM becuase they are excellent wedges, and as long as you don't swing down on them too hard, you won't have too much of a problem controlling spin.

Hope that helped!

Hit 'em straight, Bryan

thanks for the help Bryan. what do you think of the oil cans? i just got rid of the 3 that i had which i had for about a year or so. i loved the look of them. im wondering if you have seen the tour chrome in person?? and if they do reflect at all or if they are dull color because i dont want any reflection at all. im guessing the tour chromes are somewhat of teh same color and reflection as the spin milled. i think the dull grey look would be pretty nice as well. so ur saying if i take full swings with a 54 then stay away from the spin milled but get a spin milled 58. and go with the tour chrome or another finish in the 50 and 54. let me know about this and thanks in advance. i appreciate it. also just wondering if you have hit the 905T, 904f, the 735.cm irons, and the 690.mb, cameron red x, or know anyone who has as i am thinking about getting these aswell but im unable to try any of them being lefty and having pretty much no golf stores around that carry lefty clubs. well thanks again.

chaffee04

No problem,

The Tour Chrome is basically the same finish that is on the Spin Milled wedges, they have been out since the new Titleist Products came out in the beginning of the year. I have 3 Oil Can's but, I only have one still in the bag as of today, I just as I said picked up a 54º Raw version (that was released a couple years back) like an hour ago. I can't really tell you which wedges you should get because, like putters, it is all personal preference and what looks the best to you. I personally like the look of the 200 series wedges over any other wedge on the market, which is why I have played Vokeys since the day I started playing golf (about 4-5 years ago). As I said in my last post, it really all depends on what conditions you play in, and how much spin you get with your current wedges, becuase I know when I made the switch from my Oil Can 58º to the Spin Milled, it took a little bit to get ajusted to the additional spin. It also depends on what you define as yourself being a 'high-spin' player, whether that means with your current, say Oil Can sand wedge on full swings, it hits and stops, or hits, bounces, and comes back 5-feet, it all depends. Personally I am thinking that I won't have any trouble with a 54º Spin Milled because during the summer, the courses up here in Maine get fairly hard/fast, which that extra spin is sometimes a handy tool.

As for the 905, 904, and 735, yes, I have hit them all. I am personally playing the 904F as of now, and played the 905T most of this season (and I am going to make the switch once my pro can get me a T with a V2). The new Titleist woods are VERY good, atleast from my personal experience. The 905 may not be the longest driver out there, because it isn't (I hit the FT-3 and Cleveland Comp about 5-15 yards further), it is all about keeping it in the fairway, which I have found that the Titleist does much better than any other stick out there. Also, remember, it is not all about the head, get fitted with the right shaft before you go and spend $175 or whatever the upcharge is on a Diamana, when it may not be the right shaft for you. The 904F woods are awesome, they have a nice muted feel, and they are LONG, I have a 15º with an S300, it was was still very long even with the Steel shaft, and was excellent off the tee when I needed to take it off the tee on a tight par-4. Again, get fitted for the right shaft, you will thank yourself in the long run. For the 735's, they are an AWESOME iron, they look very much like a 690.CB/690.MB combo set with a progressive cavity. Remember you can always order your stuff directly from Titleist, or you can have any retail store or proshop that carries Titleist order them for you in left hand.

Hope that helped, Bryan

great information! as of right now im looking at the 905t with 10.5 to get the ball up more. im planning on being fitted for shafts over the winter so we will see how that goes. for the 904f i have no idea what shaft i want to get. i had an s300 in my 980f and that seemed to work good. so i may just get the matching shaft in that as i end up getting in the 735s. im looking at rifle shafts in my irons right now most likely again im going to get fitted for teh right ones to be sure. ive heard a lot of good things about the Project X so possibly those. also i added the red x into the post u might not have seen it, have you ever tried the red x before? i currently have a newport 2 studio style which i like but ive heard that the red x has a much nicer feel and is very easy to align. i know the putter is the most personal preference but im just looking to get some feedback if you have any about the red x. the closest ive been to tryin one is putting with teh righty one at dicks haha. seems nice that way anyways lol. one thing i dont like about the newport models is the feel for some reason. it seems weak to me and i feel that maybe with the red x it will be a more solid feel. well any more feedback would be appreciated, i hope im not asking for too much lol. thanks again.

Clint

I actually have owned both the Red X and the Newport 2, and I am currently putting with the Newport 2. Like you said, the Red X does have a little more solid/receptive feel than the Studio Stainless models, just because it has the GSS (German Stainless Steel) insert, so you are correct in that category, but for the alignment/looks category, only you can determine that. I liked the Center Shaft (Red X2) in 33", but that was just me. I would strongly recommend you look into this years model Cameron's, the Studio Style, which has that same GSS insert in the face which makes the feel worlds better. I was in fact putting around with one today, and I really like the way that the ball comes off the face, and to me it has better feel than the Red X. It is really hard to recommend a putter, actually it is impossible. Each person has a different sense in feel, what finish they like to look at, which style, there are innumerable amounts of variables that make the right putter for you. This is one thing that you go to a golf shop, or proshop and try every single putter that they have available in left hand and try them out and find one that is right for you.

- Bryan

thanks again. i actually have the studio style newport 2 model, have had it since last spring and have used it since then. i had it cut down an inch to 34 inches and had 10 grams added in teh shaft to make it heavier. i had a pretty good year with it so i guess ill stick with it for now lol. its the least of my worries as far as new clubs so ill worry about it later. thanks for everything. have a nice holiday and try to stay warm up there in maine, its not that great down here in new york either haha.

Clint