2024 US Open WITB Photos ×

G'day. Please, some swing tips.

2000wrx

Cut me up, don't hold back.
G'day, and nice to be on ur forum.

I need swing advice, tips, drills, am willing to rebuild. Be brutal.

Some background: have played off 6.5. Just restarted after years off. Back to 8.6 now, would like to be 5 by end of year, will not make it at this rate. Distance off the tee is not a problem 300 yards regularly, sometimes more with good roll. BUT, long irons are weak fades and i can now barely hit a 3 iron farther than my 5 iron which will fly 190 yards when hit with a full swing. I do not like my iron shots and this fade will occasionally turn into a proper cut. Using standard length tommy armour v-31 r-flex irons which i want turned upright 2 degrees.

http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r223/w6...nt=MOV04548.flv
http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r223/w6...nt=MOV04546.flv

I shoot high 70's and some low 80's usually and i think that is cause i can use my 5 wood and avoid the 3 & 4 irons. But my swing is broke and I can't get out of whatever insidious little moves are killing my irons. Please help and don't hold back.

Cheers

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is what I would suggest go on youtube and look up Paul Casey find the differences between you and him and try to work more on what he is doing. Here is another site http://www.pgatour.com/swingplex/02/53/64/index.html. You get the club to far inside on the takeaway and the shaft plane is a bit flat going back. But look at Casey if you you a difference between your and his try to work on making it more like his.

Here is what I would suggest go on youtube and look up Paul Casey find the differences between you and him and try to work more on what he is doing. Here is another site http://www.pgatour.com/swingplex/02/53/64/index.html. You get the club to far inside on the takeaway and the shaft plane is a bit flat going back. But look at Casey if you you a difference between your and his try to work on making it more like his.

agreed. I like you're swing, but you do have a lot going on during the backswing. It's ok to shift you're weight to the back but try to sway just a little less (quieter lower body) it's not that bad, you don't have a reverse pivot or anything, but maybe try more of a turn and a little less arm lift. you do get back into position nicely with a nice full finish. I think if you could do just a little less with the hips you would like the results. get you're weight back there but don't force it there.

joshua

thanks for all the advice.

i am a bit hunched, unfortunately i look like this a lot of the time, even when not swinging a golf club.

my grip is just the same as when i started out because i just thought you held it like that. whenever i have tried to change it i get the cut from hell. there is something wrong with my swing cause i cannot square the clubface with the swing alone. i have to try and roll my hands and that makes for some very weak irons that don't go very far.

Your posture needs some work, and your grip is too strong. You look really hunched over, straighten your back up a little. It also looks like your weight is on your heels, But I am not sure.

Agreed. I forgot to address this the first time. you're grip is way strong. And you are pretty hunched over. Have you tried getting into a little more athletic position? straighten out that back. if you were fielding a ground ball, or defending someone on a basketball court you wouldn't ba all hunched over would ya? No, you would be in an athletic position with weight on the balls of you're feet and a pretty straight back. So why do it during the golf swing. Same thing man. work on that.

Your shoulders are open to your target which will make you slice the ball if you don't have a strong grip. Square you shoulders up. Also, you sway away from the target on the back swing and you lean towards the ball on your down swing. There is no way you'll be consistent doing all of those things. Concentrate on sticking your chest out to flatten out your spine, keep an even amount of weight on your hells and balls of your feet and feel like your butt is balancing your body out by sticking it out. That will keep you from swaying forward on the downswing. Also, HIT DOWN ON THE BALL. Make a divot with your irons and contact will feel better. Start with your hands in front of the ball and try to be there at contact to help your downward strike or try a forward press to get used to it.

guys, fantastic stuff. thanks for the response. these problems, any good drills to eliminate these problems?

Your right elbow should be pointing at the target at address. It looks like it is pointing behind you.

please explain? pictures?

your grip locks neutral to me, the one thing that bothers me a little bit is the way u sway slighty which cause's you to lock your right leg and there for the fade turns up

this is good stuff. how does the right leg locking cause the fade. i would dearly love to play the straight shot/mild draw again which used to come so easily.

Your shoulders are open to your target which will make you slice the ball if you don't have a strong grip. Square you shoulders up. Also, you sway away from the target on the back swing and you lean towards the ball on your down swing. There is no way you'll be consistent doing all of those things. Concentrate on sticking your chest out to flatten out your spine, keep an even amount of weight on your hells and balls of your feet and feel like your butt is balancing your body out by sticking it out. That will keep you from swaying forward on the downswing. Also, HIT DOWN ON THE BALL. Make a divot with your irons and contact will feel better. Start with your hands in front of the ball and try to be there at contact to help your downward strike or try a forward press to get used to it.

is this what compressing the ball is all about? this 9 to 3 drill so often mentioned here helps with this downward compression thing?

First off, you have a lot of good stuff going on there. Especially your finish.

You seem to indicate that the slouch is just you: well, I have news if you haven't heard it - that slouch will catch up with you, big time, sometime around the age of 40 or so unless you correct it. Believe me, I have two surgery scars to prove it - you can get away with the slouch for about 35-40 years, then BOOM - so the time to correct it is now. And correct it all the time - golf, sitting, standing, etc. - there's just no excuse for it whatsoever, because if you keep it between your ears that you aren't going to slouch, then you won't.

As for your various angles, including a takeaway that is too flat and too far inside, a posture that is too upright face on and too slouched from behind, there are several golf instruction video programs that are out there. You can video your swing, draw your various angles, then compare your swing to any number of pro's and to optimum positions and angles.

TM Sim Max 10.5 Ventus Red Senior
TM Sim Max 3 Ventus Red Senior 
Cobra F9 17* Rescue Atmos Regular
TM Sim Max 19*, 25*, 28* Rescue Ventus Blue Senior 
Cobra F9 7-SW Atmos Regular
Vokey SM6 62* T Kuro Kage stiff
TM Spider Tour Day
OUUL stand bag
Titleist Velocity or Callaway Softfeel

Your current style is playable.

What are your goals?

If you want to improve your ball striking a little bit you can use some band aid type fixes which will come and go.

If you want to become a consistently good ball striker the easiest way is to abandon your current address position and get some textbook type fundamentals. The correct grip will take you the most time, probably a good six months of regular practice in the living room at home as well as trips to the driving range.

Tiger's book, "How I play Golf", has large color photographs of a fundamentally sound grip.

Also pay attention to the chapter on address posture and alignment. These two can be learned in no time. It's the grip which will take some time for you get comfortable using.

Once you have some sound address position fundamentals you will find that good looking effective swings naturally materialize as a consequence of your sound address position.

The good news is that there is nothing one needs to "think" about during the golf swing, it's a natural athletic motion one you have the correct address technique learned.

On the other side, guys with unorthodox grips have gone on to great playing careers, Paul Azinger and Fred Couples are two examples.

However, the textbook method of correct fundamentals is an easier and shorter path to success.

G'day, and nice to be on ur forum.

I need swing advice, tips, drills, am willing to rebuild. Be brutal.

Some background: have played off 6.5. Just restarted after years off. Back to 8.6 now, would like to be 5 by end of year, will not make it at this rate. Distance off the tee is not a problem 300 yards regularly, sometimes more with good roll. BUT, long irons are weak fades and i can now barely hit a 3 iron farther than my 5 iron which will fly 190 yards when hit with a full swing. I do not like my iron shots and this fade will occasionally turn into a proper cut. Using standard length tommy armour v-31 r-flex irons which i want turned upright 2 degrees.

http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r223/w6...nt=MOV04548.flv

http://s145.photobucket.com/albums/r223/w6...nt=MOV04546.flv

I shoot high 70's and some low 80's usually and i think that is cause i can use my 5 wood and avoid the 3 & 4 irons. But my swing is broke and I can't get out of whatever insidious little moves are killing my irons. Please help and don't hold back.

Cheers

Your set up with your spine leaning too much towards the target and with your right hip too high at address which is causing the shoulders to be open.....this is causing you too have too make too much of a lateral shift when you start the swing and then your arms are rolling which is causing the club to work too far behind you THIS is what is causing you to straighten the right leg at the top of the swing :yess:

From here you are starting down with your shoulders and are then forced to back your head out of the shot which leads to you striking the ball with an open blade and you trying to save the shot with your hands..... :yes:

A simple setup change by getting the left hip higher than the right and the left shoulder and left hip more in line together will get you a better set up........then work at everything working away together in the 1st move without rolling the arms away as you are at present then get a better wrist set/ cocking of the club which will stop it getting stuck behind you and being open........From here you will be able to rotate through the shot and let it all go when releasing the club much more naturally without any manipulation :wub:

Cheers Dan

this is good stuff. how does the right leg locking cause the fade. i would dearly love to play the straight shot/mild draw again which used to come so easily.

having your right leg lock, can cause a sway as you have no axis to pivot round hence inconsistant shot's and ball striking, the main reason is that then the hips become to active and it's very hard getting the timing everytime, i'm having the same probs and the best drill i know is at address turn your right foot in vey slighty, this will act as an anchor point and also keep your leg flexed, it feels horrible at first but you will also feel yourself coil correctly across your abs. Better shot's happen almost straight away and distance,