2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Wilson OGG-MENTED irons and woods

northplatteriver:

Beautiful set.

Mr. Ogg was a very talented man and responsible for a lot of advancements/ideas in the game of golf.

It's awesome that you got the whole set right down to the headcovers. Looks like the clubs in that set

all grew up together in the same time warp..... Doesn't happen very often.....

The 4 and 5 woods of the day were almost always generic and were used in the various models produced,

so I am sure it was with the set all along.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, northplatteriver said:

I recently picked up one of the most interesting sets of clubs I have ever owned.  This is an incredible set of Wilson OGG-MENTED irons and woods.  The set is as complete as it gets including a Wilson Indestructo bag that I am assuming was purchased with the set.  I have seen a few OGG-MENTED irons here and there on the web and on Ebay, but the only set of these I have seen with the copper\bronze medallion inlay on the toe is from a set that was owned by Howard Hughes that sold at auction.  I my opinion there is no question this was a deluxe set.  The irons are all stainless steel.  The woods 1-4 all have same "36 SFTGG" stamping which I am not sure if that is a model or exactly what it is.  The sole plate on the 4 wood is not the same as the 1-3, but does have the same stamping and is also stamped with "430A" model number as the rest are, so it clearly belongs with the set.  I am guessing it may have been an accessory club offered at the time.  The Kaplan book lists the OGG-Mented clubs as having various numbers of clubs in the set.  This set includes the 1-8, a putter, and the "77" and "99" club.  I personally think it belongs in a museum but I thought I would post and see what the forum thought...

IMG_3450.JPG

IMG_3449.JPG

IMG_3448.JPG

IMG_3447.JPG

IMG_3446.JPG

IMG_3445.JPG

IMG_3444.JPG

IMG_3443.JPG

IMG_3442.JPG

IMG_3441.JPG

IMG_3440.JPG

IMG_3439.JPG

IMG_3438.JPG

IMG_3437.JPG

IMG_3435.JPG

IMG_3434.JPG

IMG_3432.JPG

What a fabulous set! Miraculous that it has stayed complete and in superb condition over the last 90 years!

Ogg-mented irons were a bit of a grail for me. There was an Ogg-mented 2 iron amongst the ramshackle assortment of clubs I started playing golf with 50 years ago. All the rest are long gone but I still have that 2 iron which I had shortened and used as a "run up" club or, incorrectly, Jigger. It was only in recent years that I recognised it for what it is in terms of a very innovative pioneer club, decades ahead of PXG and others in using weight ports! I resolved to find a set and am very fortunate to now own these Gene Sarazen 1-920230317_160834.jpg.afe659b2eb8057f82c39fccd92cc868f.jpg20230317_160814.jpg.3e503dd05144aa12569f1ad45cfb28b6.jpg20230318_095617.jpg.dc17a9c3fede66a718a6dc2fc3a4a7d9.jpg20230318_095644.jpg.07925ac452a2bc64760efffeba0302e5.jpg

• Like 2

Really nice complete set of very good woods and irons. I look for Wilson persimmon woods from the 30's. They are worth looking for. I have a couple of Willie Ogg woods  downstairs. Aluminum sole plate screws in mine. The persimmon wood is very good. That set today would be valuable. NPR.....thanks for sharing. Canada 

• Like 1

"One Day At a Time"

Foozle, nice set!  I see they have the "ergonomic" handles that Wilson started adding to grips.  I am not sure when they started this, but I am thinking it was in the late 30's early 40's and carried out even into some iron sets I have seen in the 50's.  I believe my set is pretty early in the OGG-MENTED line.  I have seen some stampted with "patent pending" so I am certain these were post 1933 which the patent refers to.  I would still love to figure out what the "36.SF.TGG" stamps mean.  I have a couple other OGG-MENTED woods stamped "TUCKAHO" that have the same toe weight and sole plates, but the model number on those is 430 B.  They feel like they would be great players.  I copied the parts of the Kaplan catalog that list the different clubs included in sets before I sold it.  I will post it later today.

Blair, 

Thank you, I agree.  I was initially considering re-shafting them for hickory since the patent date would allow for this.  I have already asked Rob Ahlschwede for a conclusive ruling from SOHG and he said they could, but I think these have to stay with the irons.  

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Foozle said:

What a fabulous set! Miraculous that it has stayed complete and in superb condition over the last 90 years!

Ogg-mented irons were a bit of a grail for me. There was an Ogg-mented 2 iron amongst the ramshackle assortment of clubs I started playing golf with 50 years ago. All the rest are long gone but I still have that 2 iron which I had shortened and used as a "run up" club or, incorrectly, Jigger. It was only in recent years that I recognised it for what it is in terms of a very innovative pioneer club, decades ahead of PXG and others in using weight ports! I resolved to find a set and am very fortunate to now own these Gene Sarazen 1-920230317_160834.jpg.afe659b2eb8057f82c39fccd92cc868f.jpg20230317_160814.jpg.3e503dd05144aa12569f1ad45cfb28b6.jpg20230318_095617.jpg.dc17a9c3fede66a718a6dc2fc3a4a7d9.jpg20230318_095644.jpg.07925ac452a2bc64760efffeba0302e5.jpg

And made under licence by The St Andrew Golf Company, Dunfermline I believe. 2 gems for the price of one!

• Like 2

Thanks for sharing. Those look amazing 

Woods: TaylorMade RBZ Tour Spoon, TaylorMade RBZ 5 Wood

Long Irons: Ping Zings 2 Iron, 3 Iron 

Iron Sets Cleveland Blacks 2012 5 To 9 or Wilson Staff Goosenecks 1988 4 to PW or Hogan Redline's 1988 4 to E (no 7)

Wedges: Mizuno T22 (45/05) ,1969 Fluid Feel PW (52 degrees)  , 80s Wilson BeCu (54 degrees),  60s Wilson Sandy Andy

Putter: Ping Pal or Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman Blade. 

Ball: Yellow Srixon Q Stars

• 5 weeks later...

I’m a historian of antique wood shafted clubs. I do have some knowledge of the Thos. E. Wilson Co. and Willie Ogg. Someone please contact me at (515) 490-5159. Thank you. 
William W. Reed. Past President of the Golf Heritage Society. Co founder and Executive Director of the Hickory Golf Association. Member of the Society of Golf Historians. Tournament Director for the Society of Hickory Golfers and more…much more. 
515-490-5159. Mobile number. 
thanks again. Bill Reed

Honor the Game. 

• 3 weeks later...

I never said they were Howard Hughes, I had just mentioned that the only set of that same model I could find were owned by Howard Hughs.  His set were actually stamped with his name.  I recently sold the set to a person who is a member of the Worcester Country Club where Ogg was the head pro back in the 1920's and plans to gift them to them for display.  I think they are headed to a good place. 

Here is the link to the Howard Hughs clubs...

https://bid.goldenageauctions.com/bids/bidplace?itemid=32543

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Please post a picture of them after you have done the restoration and have them displayed in the clubhouse.   I personally think they are good to go for display in original condition.   I also hope you take the opportunity to actually play them before they go on permanent display... I would love to hear how they felt.