2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

longest drive (lets be honest)

Medium par 5 around 580 to the back I took out my hammer and swung outta my shoes. Put it on the back of the green. When I was walking to the green I noticed a steady trail of small chips of what looked like golf ball shell. When I got to the green I found a small wound up ball of yarn which I took out my lob wedge and airmailed it in the hole for double eagle. I havnt used the hammer since it's just not fair.

• Replies 302
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

until 5 days ago it was 340 yards, but on the par 4 368yd 13th hole at the Banyan Tree Golf course here on Okinawa I drove it to the front fringe with almost no wind (since the fairways were dry and had just been cut short) so now its around 355 yards.. normal driving distance for me is a 230ish carry every now an then I'll get ahold of one and get few more out of it, rollout depends on course conditions of course.

last Saturday I was out on my home course and decide to play from the tips.

the 12th hole has an elevated tee (very elevated) and is close to 470 yards long. I bombed my drive and had 130 yards left to the green.

So i guess its 340yards for me. I average 280 off the tee.

until 5 days ago it was 340 yards, but on the par 4 368yd 13th hole at the Banyan Tree Golf course here on Okinawa I drove it to the front fringe with almost no wind (since the fairways were dry and had just been cut short) so now its around 355 yards.. normal driving distance for me is a 230ish carry every now an then I'll get ahold of one and get few more out of it, rollout depends on course conditions of course.

Those numbers are never accurate, and usually short. There is no set rule for measuring hole distances, and tee locations change all the time, as do pin locations.

last Saturday I was out on my home course and decide to play from the tips.

the 12th hole has an elevated tee (very elevated) and is close to 470 yards long. I bombed my drive and had 130 yards left to the green.

So i guess its 340yards for me. I average 280 off the tee.

Those numbers are never accurate, and usually short. There is no set rule for measuring hole distances, and tee locations change all the time, as do pin locations.

Thats sorta the reason I said "around 355 yards" since the only measurment means I had was the course card for distance, the fact that the blues were at the back of the tee box..oh and a GPS to do subtraction of the distance to the center of the green from the blue markers and the distance to the center from my ball also helped me come up with the 355...but I know that there are GPS haters abound here so I'll stick with my "around 355 yards" and be pretty damn close until I can laser the distance when my leupold arrives....damn post office!

A few weeks ago I was playing in a skins game at Onion Creek in south Austin. #12 is a 577 yard par 5 that plays fairly flat to about 250 then there is a slope of probably 30 yards long then it flattens out. It was blowing 20 mph dead behind me and the fairways were firm. I hit one as hard as I possibly could down the left side and had 147 in which would make the drive 430. The guys in the group could not believe where it finished. I hit 53* from 147 to about 12 feet short of the hole and missed the eagle putt. I have played that hole quite a few times through the years and have never been remotely close to that spot.

My longest was either at my home club Cavendish Golf Club In England the 16th hole I drove the green it's 390 yards although it is severely down hill which doesn't really count. I drove the centre of the green and holed the putt for an eagle. I would say the one at Carnoustie was better it was on the Hole 14 - Spectacles it was playing 469 yards and I was 10 yards short of the spectacle bunkers which left me around 70-80 yards. It was a very hot and windy day hit a perfect draw which ran forever. It probably went around 380 yards but that is a one off due to the conditions. The Par 3 16th was 240 yards and I only needed a 6 iron that day!

I average around 275-280 yards using my sky caddie and my clubhead speed is 112-115mph.

• 2 weeks later...

My biggest what I would consider legitimate long drive was at the Minnesota State Match Play, No. 12 at TPC-Twin Cities measures 593 yards and had 192 in (401). Made bogey and lost the hole. My longest measuring drive was at Perham Lakeside CC in Perham, MN. The Oak 9's number 1 measures 500 yards and had 85 in (415). Downwind, cut corner, and fairway was a little dry. Driver/60*/2 ft and eagle. At least that time I didn't blow the hole!

longest drive was 304. I had skycaddie mark my ball. This guy i would go with, would tell us he could hit over 350's constantly. Marked his drive with the sky caddie. was barely 250. You really cant count hitting cart path or having hurricane force winds behind you either.

I believe about 20% of these guys on here. Considering professional golfers don't even hit that far.

I entered a long drive contest (not a sanctioned event, just a demo day on a range) as a joke and nailed one 270 carry with 35 yards roll for a total of 305. Came in 6th place and only missed 3rd by 60 yards or so. Got some applause and a kiss from my girlfriend.

Edit: Wasn't my longest, but it was measured & documented.

I entered a long drive contest (not a sanctioned event, just a demo day on a range) as a joke and nailed one 270 carry with 35 yards roll for a total of 305. Came in 6th place and only missed 3rd by 60 yards or so. Got some applause and a kiss from my girlfriend.

Edit: Wasn't my longest, but it was measured & documented.

And realistic. When ever I go out on the range, I'm usually the longest hitter out there, and even I don't claim this ludicrous "I hit it 450 last sunday" bullxxxx. I carry a 45" (it was 46", but the SS went down about 4 mph with that extra length) long 355g driver with a 2" tipped, high kick, True Temper EI-70 shaft with a steel plug in the end, weighted to open bias and reduce loft. Most people cannot even begin to hit my driver much over about 200 yards. It just doesn't even begin to lift, and the drive drops dead at about the 160 mark.

My swing speed is about 115 mph, and I carry it about 265 on a good blow, and with roll, it may go another 30 yards at most, then why would people who claim to have a swing speed of about 98 mph be able to hit it 350? Something doesn't compute here. Even the pros only carry the ball about 250-265 on average, and the reason they end up with these huge 345 numbers is that they play on fairways that roll like cement. When the announcers do mention the drive distance, they are commenting about a really long drive, one that was downhill, and downwind.

Sometime, measure the hang time on your drives. 6 seconds is huge, and 8 is astonishing. Most people have only about 3 seconds of hang time on their drives, mine range about 4-5 seconds, and I never hit it 400 yards. You must all be breaking the very laws of physics.

The longest drive I've ever hit carried 326 yards, an amazing feat that I did with a decent 10 mph tailwind with a higher launching shaft, which allowed the wind to carry it.

I believe 40% of the posts in this thread. ;)

That's about 90% more than I believe....

485 yards....come on. At Kapalua, on the downwind (Like 40mph) and downhill (extreme) the pro's might catch one that ends up in the 400-410 range.

Longest I've had was on a 420 Par 4 at Cranberry Highlands in Pittsburgh...I absolutely smashed my tee shot, got a huge bounce and quite a bit of roll. I was still 100 yards out.

I agree. Some of these shots are just rediculous. I have been playing since I was 6, more than twenty-five years. I am known around my town as one of the longest hitters around. I have people who will pay my way to play on their team in scrambles because of my length. I met Jason Zuback and he gave me pointers on how to hit it even longer. And the longest I have hit was 394. It was a par five, up and over a hill; I was lucky enough to carry the crest of the hill with a slight draw, and it rolled about 70-80 yards before coming to rest at the bottom of the hill.

These guys who make a living hitting the long ball will tell even tell you, when they catch one 400+ yards; they got lucky.

This post is just as bad as some of the fishing stories I have heard.

326 at Rum Pointe, Ocean City, MD. I think it's number 8. Par 5 along the water. Probably a good 20 mph wind behind me. However, I did clobber it.

Best driving round was recently at Lely Resort near Naples/Marco Island, FL. The fairways were very fast and hard. Hit 7 drives in the fairway over 300 (NOT including a 299, damn GPS wouldn't move). But none capped the 326.

I believe 40% of the posts in this thread. ;)

That's about 90% more than I believe....

485 yards....come on. At Kapalua, on the downwind (Like 40mph) and downhill (extreme) the pro's might catch one that ends up in the 400-410 range.

Longest I've had was on a 420 Par 4 at Cranberry Highlands in Pittsburgh...I absolutely smashed my tee shot, got a huge bounce and quite a bit of roll. I was still 100 yards out.

I agree. Some of these shots are just rediculous. I have been playing since I was 6, more than twenty-five years. I am known around my town as one of the longest hitters around. I have people who will pay my way to play on their team in scrambles because of my length. I met Jason Zuback and he gave me pointers on how to hit it even longer. And the longest I have hit was 394. It was a par five, up and over a hill; I was lucky enough to carry the crest of the hill with a slight draw, and it rolled about 70-80 yards before coming to rest at the bottom of the hill.

These guys who make a living hitting the long ball will tell even tell you, when they catch one 400+ yards; they got lucky.

This post is just as bad as some of the fishing stories I have heard.

What's worse is that these guys, if you look at their drivers, are stock Burners or the like, where as those of us who do hit the long ball have completely custom drivers, optimized to our swing. My driver launches at exactly 11° with my average 112 mph clubhead speed, but launches too high when I overcook one at about 118-124. Again, the 9.5° of loft is about 3° too weak for my swing path and speed, but I still managed to get it launching at the right angle, but giving up distance to spin for accuracy.

If I had a 6.5° driver, I'd hit it a lot further, but lose accuracy. I've hit low lofted distance drivers, with long X flex shafts, and I'll admit they do go a LOT farther (I've carried nearly 280 with them), but they are less reliable.

• 1 month later...

happened yesterday in my first sub 80 round. Last hole par 4 386 yards from the blue tees uphill, i put the ball inside the 100 yard marker. Im estimating about 95 yards from the middle of the green. So my longest drive was about 290 yards. My last two rounds I have played with a pro and he has helped me to finish my swing and release later, this has helped me hit the ball longer and straighter than I ever have before. Playing with him again today, hope this continues!

G400 9* Motore Speeder 7.2 TS
G400 14.5* Ping Tour 70s
G400 17* Fuji Fuel 80s
iBlade 3-9 Nippon Modus 3 105x
Glide 2.0 STEALTH 46*, 52* 58*
Ping Vault 2.0 ZB

I have hit 3 300 yard drives in my life, the longest being 313 according to GPS. Nothing crazy, but I have made par each and every time I have driven it over 300 (all on par 5's) so maybe there is something to this "power" game ha. Although my average distance is only 250-260ish and each time i was over 300 i had about a 10mph wind behind me.

An average good drive for me is the 250-260 range.

My legitimately longest was on Championsgate National, #3, a 290 yd drive on this straightaway, near sea level, flattish par 5 (par).

My freakishly longest was on a local course, a 364 yd straight par 4. I smoked the drive, it landed on the sweet spot of a sprinkler head, and bounced again, coming to rest on the back of the green (birdie). :shok:

I am pretty certain about 90% of the posts on this thread are full of malarky.

My longest drive ever actually came earlier this year at St. Andrew's New Course. Was a par 5, I think #13 or something. Now I am a decently long hitter but this was freakish with a LOT of assistance.....it was downwind (with with the St. Andrew's winds, you can imagine) and I hit it perfect with a sligth draw and must have landed on a downslope of one of those mounds out there. I was searching for my ball forever, thinking how could it not be in the fairway, so I searched in teh tall grass and suc. Finally walked further up and there it was, dead centre of the fairway, 372 yards from the tee. I had a SW for my second shot. I NEVER hit it that far. Links courses like that are easier to get long drives because of how far it rolls so stats are definitely skewed on those types.

I good drive in normal conditions (meaning not super hard fairways and no wind behind) for me would be around 290 or so. Remember, I said "good" drive, not average. For those in the fairway, maybe average around 270-280 with the good ones 290-300. I have hit some recently around 330 but with fairways as hard as concrete so they do not really count, in my opinion.

Titleist 915 D3 9.5 degree, Oban Devolution 6 (03 stiffness) 65g
TE Exotics CB2 3w 15 degree Proforce V2
Mizuno JPX 825 19 deg Hybrid fujikura s
Ping i20 blue dot, Rifle Project X 5.5
Cleveland RTX 588 56 degree, Rotex 2.0
Ping Anser 2i isopur

idk if the yardages were off or what but on a 520 yard par 5 I mashed my drive, found it sitting right beside the 150 yard marker.. 370 yards.. There was no wind.. but the fairways were pretty damn hard i had trouble getting a tee in the ground on the tee boxes. I thought it must have hit a cartpath or something, but it was only 10 yds past the cartpath so i have no idea how i hit it that far, wish i could do it again haha.. but anyways, hit an 8 iron on to the back of the green, then proceed to miss the eagle putt, miss the birdie putt, and barely save par.. i hate 3 putts

idk if the yardages were off or what but on a 520 yard par 5 I mashed my drive, found it sitting right beside the 150 yard marker.. 370 yards.. There was no wind.. but the fairways were pretty damn hard i had trouble getting a tee in the ground on the tee boxes. I thought it must have hit a cartpath or something, but it was only 10 yds past the cartpath so i have no idea how i hit it that far, wish i could do it again haha.. but anyways, hit an 8 iron on to the back of the green, then proceed to miss the eagle putt, miss the birdie putt, and barely save par.. i hate 3 putts