2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Help selecting Wedges for my game

Hi Wise Ones,

I don't have a fitter regularly available to me and I'm suspicious anyway of trying to fit wedges on a mat inside. 

My current set up is 

PW with the set srixon z4 43 degrees

GW Mizuno 50 degree S grind S23 wedge

cleveland 588 dsg 56  Maybe 10 bounce

cleveland 588 dsg 60. 4 bounce

I play mid quality courses in the midwest.  So far pretty damp spring but as summer rolls around things firm up. The sand traps are usually on the harder side but not exclusively. 

I'm like a 20 handicap but looking to improve. 

Dan Grieve suggests that the Lob wedge is only for emergency use and suggests a lower bounce on the lob.  He sees the sandwedge as a multipurpose use around the green and in deeper sand, with a higher bounce. 

I do really like my s23 gap wedge because of the looks, how soft they are, and some perceived forgiveness, but the problem is that they only come in a configuration where the 54 degee sand wedge has 10 degrees of bounce.  and the 58 comes in 8 degrees of bounce or higher.  I was hoping for something that i could manipulate the club face with the 54 and have maybe 12 bounce. And the 58 would be 6 or below in bounce.  

The other part is the grinds of course and that is confusing. 

Any suggestions for me on what direction to move into? Anything I'm missing?  I appreciate your time.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Hopefully a little helpful…

There are three basic aspects to consider with your wedges: loft, bounce, and grind.

Loft - the basic function is the same as the rest of your clubs, which is to provide consistent distance gapping. In your case, there is a significant gap between your PW and 50 degree wedge. The other loft functions are the ability to clear obstacles and produce a high enough landing angle to stop the ball from running off the green.

Bounce - its basic function is to help set your vertical impact location. As examples, if you’re hitting off the cart path with your 14 degree sand wedge, placing the leading edge under the ball will be very challenging. Conversely, if your ball is in heavy rough, your 4 degree lob wedge may go completely under the ball, causing it to hit you in the nose.

Grind - essentially, the wedge’s grind balances your ability to manipulate the club’s loft at the expense of the depth precision provided by its bounce. A grind with no contouring, or relief, will enforce the club’s effective bounce more than one with relief. Relief can be applied to the toe and heel (eg. Vokey D and M), which helps with opening the face to increase loft, or front to back (Vokey S), which is useful for altering loft through shaft lean angle.

You, as a 20 handicap playing in a wide range of situations and conditions -

1. Stay away from extremes, such as 4-6 degree lob wedges and 14 degree sand wedges.

2. Provide for versatility. Your higher bounce sand wedge works better both in the sand and in the rough. Your lower bounce lob wedge with significant relief can be used in a wide range of conditions based on how you manipulate face angle.

3. If you’re playing light weight shafts, consider using lighter shafts in your wedges as well.

For you specifically-

48 degree Cleveland CBX4 Zipcore, 54 Cleveland RTX6 Mid, 58 Cleveland RTX6 Low

Lastly, the idea that lob wedges are for “emergency only” is humorous, but not useful. Particularly as a high handicap player, you will be in emergency situations almost constantly. The basic signature of a low handicap is the ability to produce greens in regulation. As you improve, your proximity to the green will increase, which will leave you with many opportunities to pitch and chip to salvage par. Your multi purpose lob wedge is often you best friend.

Driver - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 5S

FW - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 6S

Hybrid - SIM2 MAX / Ventus Blue 7S

Irons - ZX5 / C-Taper Lite S

Wedges - SM9 50/08 56/10 60/04

Putter - Odyssey Ai-One Milled #7 T

image.png.908ec411aa807fd8ce7bf40d228e60a9.png

These are the options in the T24, not as forgiving as the T23 but can be better around the green. I have highlighted some options for what you're looking for. If you want more bounce, go with 56/60 and work on adjusting your full shot yardages. I would even consider the 58V grind as it looks to be good for those wet conditions with a lot of the bounce taken off the back to help with opening it up. If you can find a shop where you can look at the clubs and sole them to see how they sit when you manipulate the face, that would be ideal. That is where I would start in your search, and Mizuno wedges are amazing and soft but limited with grind and bounce options. 

Dr: Mizuno ST-G 440, Kai'Li White 70TX
3w: TSR2 15*, HZRDUS Black 6.5 70g
3i: Mizuno Fli Hi, HZRDUS Black 6.5 80g
4i: New Level NLU-01 24*, HZRDUS Black 6.5 100g
5i-7i: Takomo 301CB, TI X100 Black Onyx
8i-PW: Takomo 301MB, TI X100 Black Onyx
51*: Mizuno T22 Raw, TI X100 Black Onyx

55*: Mizuno T22 Raw, TI S400 Black Onyx

60*: Taylormade HI-Toe 3 Tour Grind, TI S400 Black Onyx
P: Meridian Charleston Mid Slant Custom

9 hours ago, seraphicD said:

I don't have a fitter regularly available to me and I'm suspicious anyway of trying to fit wedges on a mat inside.

You would be a good candidate for a  Titleist Thursday  fitting with a focus on Vokey wedges.

Although I play Callaway wedges, I have great respect for the Vokey line. I got an hour of free play with the SM6 wedges at a national golf event, and two years later had a local Titleist Thursday fitting.

shopping?q=tbn:ANd9GcRh6RrU7f3Jo93J-JTHFrXWsqTprA3d7XIGcYo7eSzQVrxuFXxYM5EE9t1a_3B_T9MUjaGZolwWet4bSaJ1SB3j52EoOLY5nKGpLLk3bTlqGRp35rhxHI77&usqp=CAEAs for concern over bounce and sand wedges, consider the Vokey F-grind SW. The 54* and 56* loft both have 14 degrees of bounce. But, despite 14 degrees, the sole only has modest width. This means the sole does not hang up in heavier bunker sand like some wedges, with high bounce and heavy sole.

In my case, I swapped out a Callaway 54/12 Wide sole for a 54/10 S-grind with more modest sole. In our area, most courses have gone with heavier bunker sand.

The high bounce + wide sole works well in light "sugar" sand, but not so well in heavier sand.

Note: The Vokey F-grind sand wedges are the most popular ones on the PGA Tour.

What's In The Bag (As of April 2023, post-MAX change + new putter)

Driver:  Tour Edge EXS 10.5° (base loft); weights neutral   ||  FWs:  Calla Rogue 4W + 7W

Hybrid:  Calla Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  Calla Mavrik MAX 5i-PW

Wedges*:  Calla MD3: 48°... MD4: 54°, 58° ||  PutterΨSeeMore FGP + SuperStroke 1.0PT, 33" shaft

Ball: 1. Srixon Q-Star Tour / 2. Calla SuperHot (Orange preferred)  ||  Bag: Sun Mountain Three 5 stand bag

* MD4 54°/10 S-Grind replaced MD3 54°/12 W-Grind.

Ψ  Backups:

• Ping Sigma G Tyne (face-balanced) + Evnroll Gravity Grip |
  • Slotline Inertial SL-583F w/ SuperStroke 2.MidSlim (50 gr. weight removed) |

I like high bounce (50/12 f grind, 54/14 f grind, 58/12 d grind). It seems to work with my stock swing square faced even off tight lies.  If its really soft, I open it up to where I don't think it will dig.  I play in the midwest also, and most of the time the courses are on the softer side.

With approach and sand wedge the only reason I'm opening them is to keep fom digging. So f grind.

You can go higher bounce with a grind that allows you to open up your lob wedge and hit flops. It doesn't have to be low bounce.  The 12 d grind does limit how much it can be opened off tight lies though.

With high bounce I can still hit full shots with a lob wedge.  With low bounce I catch some of them high on the face, it feels like the club slides under the ball, and they come up 10 yrds short.