Heavy Shafted Classic Clubs

tdooley

Looking to get a set of classic clubs with heavy shafts

My main reason for wanting "classic" clubs is that I want a set that was forged in USA... so we'll classify "classic" as USA brands pre-1990s, maybe pre-1980s to be safe

I was thinking of getting some Hogans from the 70s or 80s but based on what I've read the shafts were pretty light

Is there a brand that was known for having heavier shafts?

Or is there a certain head/shaft combo I should keep an eye out for?

Anyone have suggestions based on what I'm looking for?

I don’t believe Hogan’s are necessarily considered a light shaft. For sure pre 1990. Now they did have a lightweight shaft they labeled LEGEND mid to late 70’s. The APEX 4 or 5’s (S,XS) were actually preferred bye many before TT DG’s showed up. Maybe even over plain TT Dynamics when those first showed up so for a long time the APEX’s were considered very good. 

Seem’s late 60’s was the aluminum shaft experimental  period and early to mid 70’s you start seeing more lightweight shafts but they seemed to be optional on pro line clubs. 

Generally the older the heavier though. 50’s early 60’s MacGregor Propel #1 is a lot of shaft for all but the strongest. Matter of fact even if you swung a #2 of those you probably wouldn’t automatically think it’s a regular. The late 50’s early 60’s True Temper Rocket shafts with a star on it seem pretty good also. Has a tiny green shaft label. I have 50’s clubs with both those shafts and they feel great in your hands weight wise as long as you prefer a heavier club.

edit

Thinking more about this I weighed up a bunch of clubs not too long ago. Going in was guessing my 59 Mac CF4000PT1’s with original leather grips was gonna be the heaviest. They play heavy and stiff. I believe my 76 STAFF with the original Wilson red labeled stiff shafts was a bit heavier. I regripped those from original grips so I know what went on them. Obviously we’re not talking about individual shaft weight but I did measure overall and swing weight. So maybe pre 1980 and not labeled lightweight to be safest.

Edited by ezgoer

I'm genuinely interested in the 'heavy shaft' part of your quest.

As a senior (very) golfer I'm constantly advised that the way to go is with a lighter shaft.....but I can feel a heavier shaft better. Can't hit graphite for toffee and lightweight steel doesn't give the supposed benefits. I still hit hickory pretty well though.

Could you tell us what you like about a heavy shaft vs lighter ones?

Responding to your question tho', True Temper Gold or Dynamic in R400 or 500 are pretty heavy and you will find them in Wilson's offerings.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, The Aspidistra in the Hall said:

I'm genuinely interested in the 'heavy shaft' part of your quest.

As a senior (very) golfer I'm constantly advised that the way to go is with a lighter shaft.....but I can feel a heavier shaft better. Can't hit graphite for toffee and lightweight steel doesn't give the supposed benefits. I still hit hickory pretty well though.

Could you tell us what you like about a heavy shaft vs lighter ones?

Responding to your question tho', True Temper Gold or Dynamic in R400 or 500 are pretty heavy and you will find them in Wilson's offerings.

Too bad we are across the pond from each other. I have a pretty nice set of  53 Walter Hagen irons with TT A I think (senior) shafts and nice original leather grips. Be nice to get them in your hands and see if they would work for you. Kinda assume they are decent weight just more flexible. When I’ve tried them on the range it seems harder than normal to strike the center of the face and contact is all over the place. I may end up reshafting them IDK. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ezgoer said:

Too bad we are across the pond from each other. I have a pretty nice set of  53 Walter Hagen irons with TT A I think (senior) shafts and nice original leather grips. Be nice to get them in your hands and see if they would work for you. Kinda assume they are decent weight just more flexible. When I’ve tried them on the range it seems harder than normal to strike the center of the face and contact is all over the place. I may end up reshafting them IDK. 

Thanks for the thought, it would have been nice. As it happens I'm still hitting regular pretty well so I assume my swing speed is still ok. Mind you, that's another thing Pros try to do to anyone over 50. They check their birth certificate and fix them up with senior flex. LoL

• Like 1

4 hours ago, elwhippy said:

Aha. Fellow players who prefer some weight in the club. UK fitters seem obsessed with getting everyone over 40 into lighter shafts. 

1966 Mac Tourney with Tourney Action shafts. They're pretty heavy and play well. Not in the eye of the conventionally minded tho'. Bit too flat backed for some.

• Like 1

@ezgoer   &   @The Aspidistra in the Hall   I was checking out some Slazenger sets in the UK & was surprised at the cost of shipping across the pond. I thought it was quite reasonable (costs were expressed both in

Pound Sterling & USD) - anywhere between ~$26 to $65...depended upon full sets 2-SW or fewer & which models were being offered. Check it out for your selves...

• Thanks 2

I have a set of ‘69 Staffs that started out life with aluminum shafts. I reshafted them with circa 2000 DGs, extended to 80s length, and counter weighted back to D3. They are the heaviest static weight irons I own, probably because of the 12 gram counter weights, and the best swinging clubs I’ve ever played. The heavy weight slows down my swing and gives me great tempo. So if you have the skills, think about doing something similar.

Edited by Stephen8802
  • Like 3

Dynamic or Dynamic Gold will fit the bill.  Theyve always been on the heavier side.

As for forged in the US, any of the US equipment companies will meet that requirement through the 80s.  Hoffman and Cornell were both still running throughout the 90s and early 2000s, IIRC.  Ram especially happy all their clubheads forged in the US, up thru the TG-898 set (obviously, the FX Nickels aren't part of that).  Wilson Staff, also.  Believe MacGregor is another.

Edited by NRJyzr

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM BRNR Mini 11.5* at 10.2*, 43.5", SK Fiber Tour Trac 100 X

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S; Tommy Armour 986 Tours 2-PW, Modus 105 S
Wedges:  Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Mizuno TPM-2 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

17 hours ago, NRJyzr said:

Dynamic or Dynamic Gold will fit the bill.  Theyve always been on the heavier side.

As for forged in the US, any of the US equipment companies will meet that requirement through the 80s.  Hoffman and Cornell were both still running throughout the 90s and early 2000s, IIRC.  Ram especially happy all their clubheads forged in the US, up thru the TG-898 set (obviously, the FX Nickels aren't part of that).  Wilson Staff, also.  Believe MacGregor is another.

That was my first thought too. Something like a Spalding Tour Edition (1980s I think) or many Maxfli australian blades came with Dynamics/DG S300 from the factory. I have some Golfcraft Continental Staff irons that have Golfcraft-branded Dynamics in them as well. Titleist Tour Model irons too if I remember correctly?

It's hard to confirm what clubs were forged at a particular location, but then I don't really understand the need for a USA forging so...

• Like 1

Came across a set (2 thru SW) of Walter Hagen "Haig Ultra 66", circa 1974 thru '76...the shafts just say Ultra, as far as I can make out. They need cleaning and grips on all need replacing. I have a set of these that I put those sensicore thingies in and regripped w/Karma grips....they are heavy, and imo - the best designed mussleback irons of all time (for what my opine is worth 😂)...if interested, PM me

HaigUltra66.jpg