2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Titleist AP1

G.Review

played my 2nd round with my ap1's yesterday...I am really really happy with my purchase. The AP1's are head and shoulders better then my old set (X20's). The feel is awesome, a tad bit more distance, and the results are even better. You get me 160 and in and I have no doubt I will be dancing when I am standing over the ball. I thought coming from the X20's the less offset would affect me...Not at all.

The high launch is starting to grow on me. I will probably complain when I play a round with windy conditions though.

Anyone play the bridgestone E7's with your AP1's?

The scientifically engineered Bridgestone E7 + ball is designed for players that have a high to medium ball flight and need a more penetrating trajectory for increased distance.

Curious of the results. I might purchase a dozen for my next round and see how they work out

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

played my 2nd round with my ap1's yesterday...I am really really happy with my purchase. The AP1's are head and shoulders better then my old set (X20's). The feel is awesome, a tad bit more distance, and the results are even better. You get me 160 and in and I have no doubt I will be dancing when I am standing over the ball. I thought coming from the X20's the less offset would affect me...Not at all.

The high launch is starting to grow on me. I will probably complain when I play a round with windy conditions though.

The scientifically engineered Bridgestone E7 + ball is designed for players that have a high to medium ball flight and need a more penetrating trajectory for increased distance.

Curious of the results. I might purchase a dozen for my next round and see how they work out

I've got a bridgestone free ball fitting at my local golf shop on the 4th June. I'm looking to try the E7+ at this fitting to see what it can do to the high ball flight before I start swapping shafts to my TT XL. I also tend to hit my driver and FWs high so i'm interisted to see if it 'does what it says on the tin'. I've read on other golf ball posts on this forum that the E7+ lacks a bit of spin for greenside shots so might also see if the B330RX fits a 88-92 swing speed.

If you do try them keep us posted whether they are a success.

Ping G400 Max 10.5 degree (Ping Tour 65 R)
Titleist 913 FD 15 degree (Diamana S+ stiff)
Mizuno JPX EZ 19 & 22 degree Hybrid (Stock stiff)
Mizuno JPX EZ Forged 5-PW (NSPro1150 S)
Cleveland 588 RTX - 50, 55, 60 (DG S400)
Custom Lajosi JJ501

Looks like swapping the shafts for a test is a no no - my club fitter told me that the Titleist have a tapered tip whereas my TT XL slite shafts are a parallel tip so he would need to drill the Titleists to fit the shaft and it is a one shot deal - can't put the DG HL back in once the head has been drilled for the TT XL Lite. Maybe the Bridgestone ball fitting can lower my ball flight instead.

I'm also toying with swapping them for a nearly new set of Burners 09 - my club pro will do a no cost swap but the Burners are 5-pw only (my AP1s are 4-PW). I tried the Burners before I got the AP1s and decided to go with the later, but after a few rounds I'm noticing (for my 17.0 HC swing) that the AP1s are not as forgiving as I thought. When I tried the AP1s and Burners side by side there will little if any difference in the short irons, byu the 6i and 5i seemed more forgiving in the Burners.

I had my best round for a long time last week but it was my driving, FWs and putting which excelled - I only hit 1 GIR with the AP1s.

Any views on whether I should make the swap?

Custom Lajosi JJ501

I tried the Burners again last night and almost did the swap but decided to sleep on it - glad I did as I'm not going to bother with the swap.

Bad shots with both clubs are high week fades robbing me of distance but I'm sure that is due to a tendancy to stand too upright at the end of my backswing (overswinging I think) which makes it almost impossible to get the club back on plane on the downswing. Practice and a few lessons are in order I think!

When I hit 'sweet' shots with both the Burners were def longer in the long irons, but not in the short irons - but the sweet shots with the AP1 felt so much better, apart from this high ball flight. I also has a tendancy to hit pulls / hooks with the Burner long irons that I don't get with the AP1s.

I'm going to see the club fitter and hit the AP1s on his launch monitor and get his view on DG HL shafts - I trust his opinion (my course pro uses him for all his shaft needs) and if he thinks the TT XLs will lower the ball flight and increase distance without causing other 'issues' then I might take the plunge and get the heads drilled for parallel shafts (that is going to be cheaper than ordering new shafts with tapered tips I think).

Custom Lajosi JJ501

yeah my 3 and 4 iron mishits are fades. I really think if I put the same swing on the ball with a blade it would be more of a slice. Since the AP1's do have some forgiveness it ends up being a fade. I lose about 10-15 yards of distance if I hit a fade with my 3 or 4. This was about the same result with my old set (x20's).

I had a huge problem with my x20's of hooking the ball. The reason was because of the lie on the club. It was too upright. I tried my friends X20's which were flatter and the hooking went away. That might be the case for you hooking the burner.

I think you are right re hooking the Burners - they did look a touch upright and althought my AP1s are standard, the Dynacraft Prophets I have are about 1 degree flat and I've very rarely hooked them.

Custom Lajosi JJ501

• 2 weeks later...

I've got a bridgestone free ball fitting at my local golf shop on the 4th June. I'm looking to try the E7+ at this fitting to see what it can do to the high ball flight before I start swapping shafts to my TT XL. I also tend to hit my driver and FWs high so i'm interisted to see if it 'does what it says on the tin'. I've read on other golf ball posts on this forum that the E7+ lacks a bit of spin for greenside shots so might also see if the B330RX fits a 88-92 swing speed.

If you do try them keep us posted whether they are a success.

OK - so i went to the Bridgestone ball fitting and was a bit disappointed. They advertised it as driver and iron test but they only allowed you to test your driver so I was unable to get launch monitor figures on the iron.

With the driver the launch angle came down from 15 to 14 degrees and I got an extra 10 - 20 yrds distance against my NXT Extreme. I decide to buy a dozen just to test and played then side by side with my NXT on saturday. Conditions were not great (raining / soft fairways / windy) but to be honest off the driver there was little difference in flight or distance (some more side spin with the E7+). It certainly felt harder off my woods, iron and putter so that may take some getting use to. Off the irons I actually noticed a higher flight with the E7+ but also more distance - maybe about 5 yrds - and better spin / check on the greens.

I think it will take longer to really test / compare but at the moment it does not seem to (for me anyway) lower the ball flight off irons.

Custom Lajosi JJ501

So I've played 3 rounds with my AP1s...

Mine have the DG S300 High Launch shafts, 1/4" short and an extra wrap under the Titleist cords.

I'll start off by saying that I have zero problems working the ball in either direction with these irons when I need to. I do have to open my stance a little more that I used to with my X-16 pros to work it left to right. Right to left is no problem, it's my normal flight with a lined up straight face and stance.

Each iron is progressively longer than my X-16 pros (50* gap is, on average 120 yards, whereas the X-16s were 115 yards, and the 4 iron averages 195 yards, when my x-16 4 iron I played at 185 yards.)

I think this is partly due to the higher flight I'm getting from the shafts, and partly because of the forgiveness.

These irons don't feel dull to me at all, they feel like a well struck players iron, even when I'm a bit more off of the sweet spot.

I can be a little high, low, left or right of center and get a great feeling. Obviously they aren't as harsh when I hit a bad one, but I can still feel it without having to see the ball.

The high polished finish on the face outside of the grooves isn't going to stay looking like chrome for long, I can already see if dulling when I clean them off after a fat shot.

I'm thinking of dulling the faces with a scotch brite pad anyway. You could use one of these wedges as a shaving mirror, and if you're at the right angle and look down at the club face you can almost see the target. I haven't hit facing into a low sun yet, but I don't want to know what kind of glare that's going to produce.

On thing's that's good about the finish is that it's easily repaired, a little buffing and they will have every bit of shine back.

Anyway, I'm really liking these clubs, and the DG S300 High Launch shafts are a perfect fit for me.

I'm definitely a "swinger", I get plenty of swing speed but I don't load the shafts very much. So having the control of the DG S300 and a higher launch fits me to a T.

• 2 weeks later...

I hit mine yesterday for the first time with DG HL sensicore and they were awesome for me. I could still tell whether or not I hit them on the sweet spot and when I didn't there wasn't any real sting to them. I just came from MX 200's with sensicore that I had been playing with since the beginning of the year and the feel was a lot better with the AP1's. Even with the sensicore the mizuno's were very harsh when you mishit them, the AP1's are significantly more forgiving and the ball flight was much better with the DG HL shafts than with the DG XP shafts. I had the I5's for for the previous three years and I thought they were one of the best irons I have ever played and I now think these AP1's might be better.

Thanks for your opinion on the Sensicore inserts. Let me know what you like better in the AP1 verses the I5. I have actually been debating between the two clubs for my next purchase. I have a I5 demo 5 iron in my bag that I really like and have compared it to the AP1 demo 6 iron. I would love to know your opinion on how the other lofted clubs compare to each other.

• 1 year later...

I am a solid 4-6 handicap, 59 years old. I have played AP2's for past two years. Great clubs, but since I am getting older I wanted to pick up an easier club to hit on those bad days. So, I purchased a new set of Ping i15 irons. Very nice irons, but they sure do not have the same feel as the Titleist forged AP2. Thus I am a bit disappointed. Today my buddy shows up with a new set of AP1 irons. Hit them several tiimes to compare with the Ping i15. No comparison. The Titleist AP1 feels like a forged club. Its really that good. Plus I hit one club less for every shot. The stock regular Nippon shaft is just plain awesome. It yeilds a soft feel and high ball flight which travels long and lands soft.

I am really considering trading my Ping irons in for a set of these AP1's. My thought is that then I can mix and match between my AP2 / AP1 set depending on how I am playing. Pings are great clubs, will last forever, but they sure do not hit like a Titleist.

• 5 months later...

I have a chance to get a set of AP1s but I have some questions I hope you guys can help me with. I currently use Cobra S2 with S300 shafts and I have a set of Ping I5s with Aerotech steelfiber i80 shafts. I am a 16 handicappert with a high swing speed and quick tempo and I hit the ball high. Should I go with S300 (not high launch) or go with the Nippon shafts? I am feeling that the S300 is the right way to go for me but wanted other's thoughts before I commit to anything.
I have only hit the AP1s with Nippon shafts at Golf Galaxy.

• 4 months later...

I currently play with Adams A4OS irons, and I am ready for new clubs.

I understand that the AP1 is more forgiving then other titeliest clubs, but they will be nowhere as forgiving as my current set; however, I believe it is time to purchase a set that has less corrective measures as my Adams do.

My pointis that I don't want to cover up my mistakes to much with a super game improvement club, so I want to step up a bit to a club such as the AP1.

I finally have a great instructor, and I don't care if I stink for a while with better clubs as long as I learn to improve with them.

Any thoughts?

Am I wrong with my theory?

P.S. I plan on getting my clubs fit this time since I found a local professional store that does that.

• 3 weeks later...

still rocking them 3yrs later. buffed them to look satin last year and love them even more.

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/457092-my-attempt-at-satin-ap1s/page__p__3698485__hl__satin+ap1__fromsearch__1#entry3698485

Ping G430 MAX Rogue Silver 60S
915F Rogue Black 80S
915H Rogue Black 85S
ZX Utility 4i Recoil F4 110
Srixon ZX5/ZX7 Nippon Modus 120S
SM6 52.08F | 56.08M | 60.10S
Scotty Cameron Mil-Spec 33/350G
restoration on my Mil-Spec

• 4 months later...

I've had mine for 2 weeks now, 712 with DG s300 shafts and i love them! Easy to manipulate ball flight and give great feedback. Mis hits have been going a lot farther than what i expect/feel and these clubs are long.My only complaint is my PW is my new 140-150 club so now I have to pick up another gap wedge!

• 1 month later...

Picked up a set today and played 9 at a muni since my normal club was closed due to rain. WOW these are long and smooth. I've never hit irons with the consistency I hit these and I'm in love. Past two sets are (still own them but I'm going to sell them now, no need) Burner 2.0's and Adams CB2's. Both are good clubs but neither had any distance for me even though I have a mid 80's swing speed with a 7i. The AP1's just fit my swing better apparently because now I have the missing 20-25 yards from all my other clubs I've tried. KBS tours on the CB2's, TM stock stiffs on the Burners, and S300's on the AP1's. The S300's just work with me, I can get the ball up in the air on long irons and they fit my swing to the point of perfection. I missed 2 times in 9 holes, both times thin and my usual miss is fat and towards the toe. Every strike on these was almost dead center with my normal address position. Can't say enough good and I'd recommend anyone to try them out when iron shopping. All three of my sets are nice irons, supposedly long, and the CB2's were even fitted to me but I didn't didn't get the distance from any of them until I hit these.

• 4 weeks later...

Bought a set of the 712 AP1s off of ebay for a price that was too good to pass up. Have been playing Mizuno MX 300s the past 2 years and are very happy with them. Never felt the need to keep a 2nd set of irons a round but have always wanted to try the AP1s. I was very surprised how close in size, weight and off set the AP1s and MX 300s are to each other. If I was blindfolded I don't think I could tell which brand I was swinging. The top line of the AP1s are a little wider then the MX 300s but other then that they look about the same from above.

It's early Nov. here in Northern Minnesota and the courses are closed but I went out on a fairway at my home course and hit the AP1s just to get a feel for them. With temps in the mid 30's I was not expecting to get any real answers on if the AP1s were longer or shorter then my Mizunos but first impressions are they might be a little longer then the MX 300s but only by 2 or 3 yards per club. Wont know for sure until I can hit them at warmer temps. Feedback at impact is a very nice solid click. Definitely not that Mixuno butter feel but not at all a bad feeling. My first impressions of the 712 AP1s would be if you're a 15 maybe 16 handicap or lower you will see some good results with the AP1s. My handicap moved up to a double digit number from a high single digit this year just because of lack of play and practice but I see no reason why a player at my level or even a low single digit player wouldn't be happy with these Titleist AP1 irons.

Titleist 915 10.5
Callaway Epic, 15 degree 3 metal
Adams Idea Tech V4 18 Hybrid
Mizuno MP-54 4-PW Irons
Callaway MD 3, 50, 54 & 58 wedges
Scotty Cameron Kombi S, 34

• 8 months later...

I have the AP1 710 irons 4-AW with Nippon NS Pro 950GH lightweight steel iron shafts. Cleveland CG 15 wedges (54, 58, 62) with the Nippon WV 105 lightweight steel wedge shafts, at a slightly softer frequency coefficient than the Nippon NS Pro 950GH shafts in my AP1 710 4-W. Was fitted out at Hot Stix in Scottsdale, AZ, and had them build the clubs. The 950GH is slightly different than the Titleist stock Nippon shaft, but fairly similar. Nippon is for a smoother swinger of the club (vs. a go after it hitter), and feel amazing to me. Easy to get the ball in the air, and VERY VERY straight unless you are actively trying to work the ball. The amount of effort to swing these is nil. Way less work than the heavier S-300 Dynamic Gold shafts I played for years.

I have played various Titleist irons for about 15 years, and these are the longest, most forgiving, and best feeling of the three Titleist sets I've owned. Maltby Playability Factor is very, very forgiving on these (800 or so, as I recall). They are definitely bigger than blades to the eye... but you would be hard pressed to find a more compact head in something this forgiving. I tried the AP1 irons from the previous year (without the 710 stamped on the Hosel)... But I didn't like them nearly as much as the 710 version.

Bottom line... The AP1 710 irons are great, and unlike many of the irons Titleist makes and has made, I think anyone up to an 18 handicapper could play these sticks. I'm a 7 HCP, and irons are a strength of my game... and I decided between the AP1 710s and AP2 710s. In the end, I didn't think the feel advantage the AP2 710s had over the AP1 710s... was worth more to me than the forgiveness advantage the AP1 710s had over the AP2 710s. The Miuras and the Mizuno forged clubs REALLY feel like butter to me... but the AP2s weren't in that class for feel to me. If Open Champion Ben Curtis isn't too good for the AP1s... Than neither am I!!! Great clubs. Will be anxious to try the AP1 714s when they come out. Saw some spy pics of them recently, since they showed up on TOUR this summer.

PING K15 Driver, Accra DyMatch RT S260
TEE XCG4 16.5, Accra DyMatch RT S270
Titleist 910H 24, Accra DyMatch RT S280
Titleist AP1710 5-W, Nippon 950GH S
Cleveland CG15 54,58,62, Nippon WV105
Scotty Cameron California Monterey 1.5