2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Tiger, Tiger, and more Tiger

GolfMN

I turned on to watch the masters and turned off, why? I like to see golfers making good golf shots and at any given time on the course there are dozens of them being made.

I like to see the up and coming golfers as well as the well known.

I like to know that there are more than 4 golfers out there.

Finally l loathed the gibberish of the commentators and the constant ranting about the club house and the course, at the expense of seeing the golfers playing.

A more broadened covered would do more for ratings than intense focus on a small handful, it may also give those assinine commentators better things to talk about.

cheers peter

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now we can be overrun with Tiger's rehab. and reports on how it's going. That can inspire further threads here about how rippling his muscles are surrounding the repaired area. Of course this will give him time to work on that yellow tooth and join hair club for men. His first chipping practice will be covered and hailed like landing on the moon...

TIGER did play bad for him. BUT i guess you werent watching the same masters i was. TIGER DID come in 2nd. and if there had been 2 hole #16 then tiger without even trying would have been in the lead.

Um, I never said that he didn't come in second...

I said... "He has been easily worthy of coverage in every event he has played in so far in 2008 including the masters." and then I said "If you are 5 off the pace in a event like the Masters with a very strong field..."

I made no mention of tiger finishing tenth in the masters or anything like that. I know full well how he finished.

Just so we are clear.

As everyone has stated, Tiger bring in ratings. And the networks LIKE ratings. Now, also you have to believe that as SOON as Tiger joined the PGA and "Hello World" was shown, he immediately became the new Face of Golf. Now those traditionalists and people when Jack, Gary, Arnold and Seve were HUGE then those guys were the face(s) of Golf. Thus, the industry and the networks are capitalizing the fact that these people were/are the FIRST thing people think of when they hear of Golf. Hence, Tiger Woods will always be shown, no matter where he is unless he missed the cut or he isn't in a tournament. It's the facts, we all have to live with them. Point is: Get over it, take the mud the networks throw at us and enjoy the taste of it because we'll be getting a whole mouthful when he returns (I think at the Memorial, if I'm not mistaken).

Note: The "mud" coment was in no way, shape, nor form in any way meant in any derogatory way.

Titleist TS2, 9.5, Tensei AV Series Blue 55
Titleist 917 F2, 16.5, Diamana LTD M+ Red 60
Titleist 818 H1, 23, Tensei Red AMC
Titleist 718 AP2's, 5-PW, AMT White S300
Vokey SM7, Tour Chrome, 50 (F), 54 (M), and 58 (D)
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5
Ball choice: ProV1x

Hey, I also stream! Check it out if you want! https://www.twitch.tv/scottwsmith

Am I the only one bothered a bit by this?

Yes you are. Come over to my house and watch the majors with my friends, have a few beers, bbq some steaks, watch some golf...relax. I don't get the anxiety and hyper-sensitivity to golf telecasts, some of you seem like your heads are about to explode watching golf on TV? I don't think the complaints many of you have every come across the mind of anybody really. We're just watching a golf tournament on our day off, trying to see who wins, and thats about it!! :wacko:

you live on my planet... I miss half of the telecast on the phone, yelling at kids, getting a beer, running the grill... I just assumed that I was missing all the other players shots, and was just lucky to catch Tiger's play, I didn't know the best player in the world was getting more coverage than the others... weird.

Maybe cause he's the guy everyone wants to see, even If he isn't in the lead.
But he's not. The OP doesn't, and I agree entirely with his post.

tiger has won something like 7 out of the last 10 or 11 tourneys he's been entered in. do the math, that translates to quite a bit of airtime. most of those wins he was in the final group on sun. he's the most dominant golfer ever, it's as simple as that. i'm not a tiger cheerleader but anytime you have the opportunity to see the best ever at their particular sport you should do it. we were lucky enough to see michael jordon in basketball, and now tiger in golf.

This is not a recent phenmoenon, it's been going on for a few years now.

Are you serious...? He hasn't finished outside the top 5 in like, months. I'm not going to check, but I think Doral maybe his worst finish in almost 8 months. I don't recall seeing THAT much of him when he was way back at Carnoustie. The reason we see so much Tiger is rather obvious, he's either always winning or always in a position to win. He attacks history with every start. Enjoy it, or watch the Nationwide Tour.
He still gets coverage when he'snowhere, Carnoustie being a very good example. No-on eelse would get as much, in fact no-on else would get any.

Maybe cause he's the guy everyone wants to see, even If he isn't in the lead.

Uhhhhhhh, don't think so pard. A few years ago, TW was in about 16th place on Sunday at the British Open, and all we got on network tv was Tiger "mailing it in". They barely showed the guys in the top 5. THAT is what irks me when he's in the field. They show him even if he's not in contention. Agreed, he usually IS in contention, but when he's not, we still get the "Tiger Show Live".

100% spot on. This is what irks many of us. I want to watch the tournament, not a player who is not contending.

are you guys serious?

AT Carnoustie, Tiger was shown up to the third round, because he still had a chance..he was hardly shown in the final round. His tee time started way before the leaders and if they showed him early, it wouldn't even affect you Sergio and Harrington lovers..

They show the guy because of his record, his achievements that dwarfs the entire tour. Who do you guys really want the media to show the most? don't worry, they won't show him as soon as he stops winnng prolificly..if you don't want to watch him, and if you are a true golf fan, god knows why you won't, because it shows you aren't really watching the golf per se, you are watching the man and hating him for it..just watch the GOLF and forget about what the media is hyping him for, or turn the volume down..it's not like he makes a 100% of the coverage...obviously whatever percentage he is shown is too much for your sensibilities..Never heard this nonsense in the Nicklaus era...people were quite happy to watch him for hours...if the media was as strong in the Arnie days, it would have been worse..

but with Tiger, we have to hear these complaints every week..even when he's got a bum knee...

as a foreigner from the UK in the States, i couldn't imagine if Tiger was British why his fellow country people would be so negative towards him...but in America race is so charged and from the every day things i hear said about people who look like him, i am not surprised with these anti-Tiger nuances hiding as media bashing events..he is part Caucasian if it makes you feel better :clapping:

are you guys serious?

AT Carnoustie, Tiger was shown up to the third round, because he still had a chance..he was hardly shown in the final round. His tee time started way before the leaders and if they showed him early, it wouldn't even affect you Sergio and Harrington lovers..

They show the guy because of his record, his achievements that dwarfs the entire tour. Who do you guys really want the media to show the most? don't worry, they won't show him as soon as he stops winnng prolificly..if you don't want to watch him, and if you are a true golf fan, god knows why you won't, because it shows you aren't really watching the golf per se, you are watching the man and hating him for it..just watch the GOLF and forget about what the media is hyping him for, or turn the volume down..it's not like he makes a 100% of the coverage...obviously whatever percentage he is shown is too much for your sensibilities..Never heard this nonsense in the Nicklaus era...people were quite happy to watch him for hours...if the media was as strong in the Arnie days, it would have been worse..

but with Tiger, we have to hear these complaints every week..even when he's got a bum knee...

as a foreigner from the UK in the States, i couldn't imagine if Tiger was British why his fellow country people would be so negative towards him...but in America race is so charged and from the every day things i hear said about people who look like him, i am not surprised with these anti-Tiger nuances hiding as media bashing events..he is part Caucasian if it makes you feel better :clapping:

Pathetic.

Pathetic.

Yup...and the holier than thou attitude is sickening..noooo..it has nothing to do with the fact that he is a minority...nooo..God forbid..because we are all above race, and we leave that to the rest of the inept members of society to project their racism..nooo..we are too smart to make race a factor in our hatred of how Tiger's portrayed on TV..and all you have to do is make a statement..race has nothing to do with it and voila...the world's a gorgeous place...call a spade spade.

I have seen the Nicklaus era..heck even Norman was shown all the time for 2 majors of his..I hardly remember complaints...he was blond and ambitious..and a normal cup of tea...pathetic are the complaints being packaged as some media bashing..oohhh...i hate the media for showing the number 1 player too much..that is pathetic

i am not surprised with these anti-Tiger nuances hiding as media bashing events..he is part Caucasian if it makes you feel better :clapping:

Pathetic but true. How else do you explain the hyper-sensitivity to Tiger on TV? How can you sit down on Sunday for a little golf on TV, and get so jacked up about the micro-details of how much air time Tiger gets? Besides his golf exploits, Tiger is responsible for pumping tens-of-millions of $$$ into charities and junior golf. Tigers' success is not welcome to some...no matter what.